PDA

View Full Version : johnnie to's exiled

doug maverick
10-17-2007, 08:34 PM
okay so i been meaning to get around to this for like a year and a half but since this film is hong kongs entry into the oscars going up against ang lee's lust caution(read my reviewhere (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48284)) first let get the particulars out of the way like plot:

The time is 1998. The setting is Macau. Every living soul jumps at every chance to make quick money before the Portuguese colony ushers in a new era under the Chinese rule. For the jaded hit men, they wonder where this journey will end. Against this backdrop come two hit men from Hong Kong sent to take out a renegade member trying to turn over a new leaf with his wife and newborn baby. They soon find themselves in the throes of a dilemma when two of their former associates also show up, intent on thwarting them at every cost. from hkflix

hkflix shouldn't write plots thats first cause thats only the beginning. eventually they all decide to help wo and his family and decide to take on a hit job for the boss of macau to clear the way for the new boss played by simon yam. only thing is simon finds out about the hit and puts a stop to it and instead enlist the boss to help him take out his former group of hitman(lead by the great anthony wong)

okay so now you got the plot. so here's the rest, this film is an awesome awesome movie its like john woo meets wong kar wai, with an awesome script written by szeto kam yuen(spl,flashpoint) who with only twelve scripts under his belt is slowly emerging as hong kongs go to guy for action crime drama's. anthony wong is in top form as the leader of the hitman blaze. the film gave a feel like one of to's earlier films the mission which incedentally stars the same actors in the film. so i guess its an unofficial sequal. the action in this film was first rate as expected from johnnie i loved the red powder shots instead of the gory and messy fake blood(from a filmmakers perspective its very easy to clean up and set up for the next shot save's alot of money and still looks awesome). now for the downside and this is why i don't think this going to get the oscar even thou i perfer it to lust caution. johnnie to and this feel's like a big director error forgets all about wo family after wo is shot and only brings them back later as a sort of after thought and they only serve as a way to wraped the whole film up. all and all i give this a 7 out of 10. more reviews are coming

RAYNYSC
10-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Exiled is without question one of the better( Hitman / Gangster ) movies that I've seen.... Regardless of how it ended this movie was & is bad ass....

Lucas
10-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Saw this a week ago, great film.

Wonderful humor, great sense of comradery and honor, some beautifully played out high life gangsters moments and some nice gun fights.

two thumbs up here.

doug maverick
10-18-2007, 01:40 PM
check out the mission which star all the main hitman in similar roles this time trying to protect a mob boss and not kill him its freaking awesome and simon yam plays the villian in the one too.