View Full Version : Tibetan White Crane fight

diego
10-17-2007, 08:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zr9P2Y38HM

buddy didn't have the guts, ouch!.

htowndragon
10-18-2007, 12:40 AM
chyuun choi to the body. over, and over, and over. lol

i prefer changing the level of chyuun, chyuun to the face can take someone out quick

Satori Science
10-18-2007, 05:39 AM
Man Anthony totally outclassed the other guy, after the fight he went over to his Sifu and had a big public pout about unfair judging and contact levels or something. The reason I found it funny was that before the fight he tried to get in the ring with a full plastic face mask & a pair of thin leather MMA gloves on. I suppose he liked to play, just didn't like to get hit.

Like my sidi said on the comments, "watch out for the groin, watch out for the groin" lol....:D

Satori Science
10-19-2007, 06:31 AM
Here's Anthony's 2nd fight of the day,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5XW5xfargQ

peep the flying kick to the body,:D

Satori Science
10-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Man Anthony totally outclassed the other guy, after the fight he went over to his Sifu and had a big public pout about unfair judging and contact levels or something. The reason I found it funny was that before the fight he tried to get in the ring with a full plastic face mask & a pair of thin leather MMA gloves on. I suppose he liked to play, just didn't like to get hit.

Like my sidi said on the comments, "watch out for the groin, watch out for the groin" lol....:D

I should have been a little clearer when I wrote this, my thesis advisor would have me shot...

What I meant to say was that after the fight, the losing opponent went and had a nice cry on the side lines about unfiar judging and excessive contact. I trained with Anthony and can tell you that he was going hell-a easy on the guy so I found it a little hilarious. After the fights were done I was buggin my Bro about using alot of western boxing and not a lot of white crane ie, long range finishing techniques like sow etc..
To which he replied, I just didn't want to kill the poor guys...." In "semi contact" tournaments we are all forced to modify our technique a lot which is somethign we need to remeber when watching video from these types of tournaments.

lkfmdc
10-19-2007, 04:42 PM
In "semi contact" tournaments we are all forced to modify our technique a lot

to begin with, this whole "semi contact" thing is a big joke, at times it's like full contact, then suddenly you can get DQ'ed

The fact that we did Lama and CLF, with lots of long arm power shots, is precisely why we stoped doing this sort of stuff and moved to full contact venues

Satori Science
10-20-2007, 06:49 AM
to begin with, this whole "semi contact" thing is a big joke, at times it's like full contact, then suddenly you can get DQ'ed

The fact that we did Lama and CLF, with lots of long arm power shots, is precisely why we stoped doing this sort of stuff and moved to full contact venues

Agreed, you are 100% correct. Upon coming home from Jersey I told my Sifu that I no longer have any interest in competing in anything but full contact senarios. Watching the vides I shot of my fights, I was blown away by how sloppy I looked and how much I was forced to telagraph my movements/limit the aggresion of my attacks to control my power and not injur my opponents. I made many observations watching my fights and could talk at length about what I learned but I'll save everyone that,

lkfmdc, I have nothing but mad respect for you, and that comes from reading your posts and knowing that you guys train to step up & do it for real. Work and teaching have been crazy but I've been planning to sit down and spend some time reading your site for a while now. I do still see a role for trad. practice ie forms and weapons, my personality and ideals. But only in the context of that which makes us better fighters. Which for me includes having a school with students who are learning at their own pace to support my Sifu, my brothers/sister and I in our own persuit.

Since returning I've commited to three work outs a day, hard & soft qi gung in the mornings, weights on my lunch break and taiji to speed healing on my recovery days. Forms and sparring at night between teaching class & I've returned to my yin style bagua, chen taiji, praying mantis teacher to focus on the counter grappling arts on the nights I don't teach CLF. As well my Di Sihing Russel Temple, who is in boot camp for the city police force & is teaching grappling have begun plans to synthesise a bak hsing appropriate grappling system/approach.

Satori Science
10-20-2007, 06:58 AM
I found this very relevant to the conversation,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNT3GkgC34s

WinterPalm
10-20-2007, 09:33 AM
I found this very relevant to the conversation,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNT3GkgC34s

I've seen that clip before...it's a good one!
He makes a lot of good points. The problem is that many people don't understand their arts, including the people teaching them, and so wind up unable to properly train the students in how to use the art. The learning of many kung fu systems takes a long, long time.
My Sifu has been a stickler, from the beginning, on doing things right and doing them the way we do them. When people spar it should incorporate the techniques from the forms. Funny though, we have what you could call jab, cross, and hook in our sets...so if I fight with only those am I still doing Toisan Black Tiger? Probably not...
People also need sparring partners or seniors that whup them to show them the true nature of both competition, and adrenaline when you are helpless. It sucks and it shouldn't be a daily thing, but it helps one get used to the experience.
Metered sparring helps.
I'd say my sparring fluctuates from medium-hard throughout the year and then for maybe a month or two I'll have a series of very hard sessions to bring everything together in a fast-paced adrenal situtation. But personally it is in the repetition, in doing the medium paced sparring, and in hours and hours of drills, techniques, and practice, practice, practice!...that make all the difference.
I've been incredibly fortunate to learn these things from my Sifu.

I do also agree that semi-contact is no good. Your guy did well, no doubt about that, but it seemed like head shots weren't allowed and that kind of seems to engrain some bad habits if done over too long.