PDA

View Full Version : Why is there no "World Martial Arts Tournament"

-disciple-
10-18-2007, 07:05 AM
Honestly, all this talk about TCMA vs. MMA etc. etc. gets on everyone's nerves. Im wondering, why is there no open-to-all fighting tournament? No hold's barred everything goes, see who the greatest fighter in the world truly is type of thing. This may sound childish, but in the cartoon Dragon Ball Z there is a world martial arts tournament, and it seems to work pretty well. Has this ever been tried? what would be the problems of having such a tournament, and why hasn't it been tried?

MasterKiller
10-18-2007, 07:09 AM
I think it was called UFC 1.

-disciple-
10-18-2007, 07:10 AM
well then what happend to it, and why isnt it around ne more. The UFC today certainly isn't what i was thinking of. and that's more of a series anyway, it's a federation. Im thinking of more like a tournament

MasterKiller
10-18-2007, 07:14 AM
well then what happend to it, and why isnt it around ne more. The UFC today certainly isn't what i was thinking of. and that's more of a series anyway, it's a federation. Im thinking of more like a tournament

First few UFCs were tournaments. BJJ fighters dominated.

1bad65
10-18-2007, 07:18 AM
I think it was called UFC 1.

Correct. Also, tournaments are not allowed in many states. They don't like fighters fighting more then once a night.

If you want to see how your style matches up in the cage/ring, contact the promoters of the local shows in your area. They are always looking for fighters.

-disciple-
10-18-2007, 07:19 AM
was everything allowed? all types of non-lethal strikes and what not?

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-18-2007, 07:48 AM
no eye gouges, fish hooks or blows to the back of the neck. I think those were the only rules.

Also, we have Pride, and other full contact venues. If we were to have a "World" championship, each of the major full contact venues would have to send a team of thier top people.

You would need reps from UFC, Pride, K1, Shan Shou and various Muay Thai and Val Tudio circutes as well.

-disciple-
10-18-2007, 07:54 AM
why is that? couldn't you make it independent up to the fighter? anyone could enter. only those with skill would make it through the preliminary matches. I don't see why any other fighting federeation would have to get involved, because that would just complicate things.

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-18-2007, 07:59 AM
The other fighting federations would be used to determine who was the best of thier local. Then, those guys would go to the worlds.

Other wise, you would have to create all new fight venues all over the world to hold events trying to determine who is skilled enough to fight the best in the world. It is such a herculean task that it would never be accomplished. Also, since the best fighters in the world are already in Prid, UFC, San Shou, K1 etc, it only stands to reason to include them.

Baically since we already have a good number of venues that anyone can fight in already, it would be best to let them figure out who is good enough to fight in the World comp.

If you are a Kung Fu guy in the USA for example, you can go fight San Shou. When you are good enough to consistently be on top, and are considered one of the top San Shou fighters, then you can fight in the worlds against other top fighters of all the other venues.

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-18-2007, 08:04 AM
Of courser, the Worlds would have to be held in Hong Kong, and Bolo Yeung would have to be fighting the winner. :D

Shaolinlueb
10-18-2007, 08:05 AM
the first couple ufc's where nhb. they got banned in many states and almost shut down. great money maker.

sanjuro_ronin
10-18-2007, 08:25 AM
Vale Tudo matches still exist in Brasil, where everything goes.

MasterKiller
10-18-2007, 08:25 AM
I suggest we all pitch in, buy an island, enter the "white slave" and cocaine markets, and host a tournament once a year in order to recruit henchmen.

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Yes, that would be the best way to do this. One of the small islands off of Costa Rica would fit the bill.

sanjuro_ronin
10-18-2007, 08:29 AM
Where to I send my wire transfer from my account in switzerland ?

The Willow Sword
10-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Why is there no "World Martial Arts Tournament"

SOMEONE has been watching "The Quest" too many times:rolleyes:

har,TWS

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Where to I send my wire transfer from my account in switzerland ?

You are still doing a Switzerland account? have you not been keeping up with the laws since 9/11? Switzerland is no longer the secret shelter it used to be. Yes, you have a numbered account, BUT the bank still knows your name and location, AND they are bound by law to share that info if a legal authority requests it. Since Switzerland and the USA have a treaty, your money is no longer safe there.

Your best bet is to form an off shore cooperation out of Panama, and use it to open a bank account in the Caymen's

If you open an international business corporation in Panama and hold it in Bearer shares, even the Panamanian government does not know who the owner is. AND any money you make outside the boarders of panama is not only tax free, but you don't have to report the income either.

I just LOVE Panamanian Tax law!!

Even *IF* your cayman island account is found, it will be owned by the corporation in Panama. The owner of that (you) cannot be traced.

sanjuro_ronin
10-18-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm Canadian.
:D

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Well, ok then, you don't need to worry!

bodhitree
10-18-2007, 09:21 AM
I'm Canadian.

I'm bacon

the day of our death match approacheth

sanjuro_ronin
10-18-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm bacon

the day of our death match approacheth

Bring it on Monkey-Molester !

street_fighter
10-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Tenkaichi Budokai style. that would be the bomb. no saiyajins allowed though.

1bad65
10-18-2007, 10:49 AM
no eye gouges, fish hooks or blows to the back of the neck. I think those were the only rules.

It was no eye gouges, fish hooking, or biting. And if you did it you were fined, not DQ'd.

cranky old man
10-18-2007, 10:52 AM
back in the 70s taiwan held a full contact tornement . rules were if you found a teacher who would accept you as a student you were allowed to join his team. you could be a boxer wrestler ect. my si gung took a team there from h.k. . and they won a team trophy. his name was ng nam ging. now its turned into not to much. l have a picture around somewhere. but there were some deaths in the early days l think two in the first one and one in the second one.

Takuan
10-18-2007, 11:01 PM
Rio Heroes!