PDA

View Full Version : Get a Gracie Blue Belt in 2 Weeks!

MasterKiller
10-18-2007, 01:34 PM
http://www.gracieacademy.com/instructorprogram.htm

Ryron or Rener assess them for promotion to blue belt...again, not just any blue belt, but a Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy blue belt.

lkfmdc
10-18-2007, 01:41 PM
fascinating, what do you think it costs?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Anthony_ATT
10-18-2007, 01:54 PM
I started BJJ at the Gracie Academy, so called them up about this, as it's a big thread on Bullshido.

Called the Gracie Academy and talked to Eric. Here are some of the things I learned.

1. It is a 2 week course. All day training.

2. The instructor who takes the course DOES NOT HOLD a rank, they already have their ranks from their school, whether it is TKD, KENPO, WingCHun, etc...

3. The instructor is then authorized to move up any of their students to 4th stripe White belt, to be later tested by Ryron, Rener, or Ralek, up to twice a year, to what is called a "Technical Blue Belt".

4. It is a break down of the 34 main techniques taught for Gracie Combatives. So I'm pretty sure De La Riva isn't in the syllabus.

That's the skinny on it. It's the same training the Gracie Academy gives out for the Army, FBI, etc, but given to Martial Arts Instructors who have their own school and want to have a basic ground fighting system.

If this gets out of hand and they are giving out black belts in BJJ, I'd say this was getting out of hand, but with the Matt Furey advertising put aside, this has more positive than negative for any school that has ZERO grappling inhouse.

lkfmdc
10-18-2007, 01:59 PM
I started BJJ at the Gracie Academy, so called them up about this, as it's a big thread on Bullshido.

Well, I think the honest issue is this

If you are a guy who owns a judo school, and are a Judo black belt and train with the Gracie family 2 weeks, chances are you'll walk away better and with a good grasp

A TKD guy probably has NO grappling background, so he's really starting from point zero, it WOULD be an improvement to his school to offer this program, but the issue would be that the quality of is GC program would be less than the one at the Judo school above probably

I also bet it is DARN EXPENSIVE ;)

SanHeChuan
10-18-2007, 02:04 PM
I think the inention is good, but is likely to be abused by those instructors who take the course. I can already hear them claiming Black belts in GJJ, personal student of whoever.

and yeah what does it cost?:eek:

1bad65
10-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Although I'm not a huge fan of this, you do have to pass a test to get the Blue Belt.

Considering it's an intensive two week course, some people MAY be ready for the Blue Belt. I've seen one guy at my gym get one in ~6 months with a 3-4 times a week schedule. Some people do catch on fast.

Lucas
10-18-2007, 02:47 PM
kind of lenient with their Physical Fitness Evaluation :

"5 pull-ups, 20 push-ups, 50 sit-ups and 50 squats (Women will be required to do 1/2 the amount of repetitions for each exercise)."

sanjuro_ronin
10-19-2007, 04:47 AM
Guys, its only a Blue Belt.
Don't make a huge deal and again, a test has to be passed.

Personally, if there is a test for every level in any MA and one takes it and passes it I say give them the recognition they deserve.

Some may have issues wiht this because of the whole "belts means something in BJJ", as if they mean less in other systems.

Horse****.

A belt means as much as the person wearing it, always.

specialed
10-19-2007, 05:31 AM
fascinating, what do you think it costs?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

congratulations on your new belt.

lkfmdc
10-19-2007, 07:48 AM
congratulations on your new belt.

yet again, the nameless troll tries to act tough from behind a keyboard (YAWN)

Considering I am already ranked in BJJ under a lineage that goes back to both Royler Gracie and Carlston Gracie Sr (RIP), sorry, dont' need to buy one

but you have a nice day and if you are ever in NYC feel free to drop by

TenTigers
10-19-2007, 07:58 AM
read the fine print-you are getting a technical blue belt in Gracie Combative whatever, not Gracie Jiu-Jiitsu-it is a streamlined program of his most used 34 techniques, not the BJJ syllabus. He's not stupid. He's not going to take money out of his pocket, he's diversifying and repackaging and selling the same thing (sort of) twice, reaching a completeoly different market. His name is such that he has no threats from anyone else teaching or trying to teach BJJ. He also realizes that there are many teachers who will not enroll in his school for whatever reason-time, ego,etc and he has found a way to market just for them.
da man'z a ****ing genius.

unkokusai
10-19-2007, 08:22 AM
yet again, the nameless troll tries to act tough from behind a keyboard (YAWN)

Considering I am already ranked in BJJ under a lineage that goes back to both Royler Gracie and Carlston Gracie Sr (RIP), sorry, dont' need to buy one

but you have a nice day and if you are ever in NYC feel free to drop by

Dude, do you EVER take a rest from the endless self-promotion? What's wrong, daddy didn't praise you enough as a boy? :rolleyes:

monji112000
10-19-2007, 08:29 AM
http://www.gracieacademy.com/instructorprogram.htm

Ryron or Rener assess them for promotion to blue belt...again, not just any blue belt, but a Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy blue belt.
The Gracie's have been doing stuff like this for a while. When I was younger around the 2 or 3 UFC a group of Martial arts schools in my area (VA) suddenly got certified in some type of Gracie thing and started teaching GJJ. I don't remember much about it only that it was a big joke. At the same exact time a shoot school opened, and then suddenly everyone was GJJ/NHB over night.

All things considered its a nice idea. Give them a small set of techniques, let them introduce it to their students... see were it goes. Its funny because the website has a letter from Bill Oden Norfolk Karate.
I was at a MMA fight were his fighter won using GJJ combatives. (Although he lost in my opinion, he got the **** knocked out of him) You can “loose” a MMA fight and still win in reality.

lkfmdc
10-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Dude, blah blah blah blah blah blah

I guess you didn't notice I was responding to "specialed" (but since you are him, I guess it's more conveinant to post like the above) :rolleyes:

unkokusai
10-19-2007, 11:42 AM
I notice that you seem to be terrified that if you stop boosting yourself for two seconds you will disappear or something.

Lucas
10-19-2007, 11:48 AM
read the fine print-you are getting a technical blue belt in Gracie Combative whatever, not Gracie Jiu-Jiitsu-it is a streamlined program of his most used 34 techniques, not the BJJ syllabus. He's not stupid. He's not going to take money out of his pocket, he's diversifying and repackaging and selling the same thing (sort of) twice, reaching a completeoly different market. His name is such that he has no threats from anyone else teaching or trying to teach BJJ. He also realizes that there are many teachers who will not enroll in his school for whatever reason-time, ego,etc and he has found a way to market just for them.
da man'z a ****ing genius.

Not only that, but from a long term marketing standpoint, he is really a genius.

Think about having your name and teachings associated with the top organizations in one of the most powerful contries on the planet.

he can drop names like FBI, CIA, DEA......not many can claim that kind of universal success with a system of combatives they created.

this is only the beginning.

think long fist in emperial china....

lkfmdc
10-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Again, it was a pretty easy conversaton to follow, even for YOU :rolleyes:

Specialed: so you're gonna buy a belt now
ME: no need, I already have one, very legit

The reality of the internet is those who scream "self promotion" are simply those who have no accomplishments to brag about.

Stating a fact isn't "self promotion": I have ranking in BJJ. I have ranking in Taekwondo and Hapkido also.

If you are so rigeous and looking to right wrongs, why not call out Green Cloud on his claim to 10 black belts and 2 full contact championships :rolleyes:

unkokusai
10-19-2007, 12:40 PM
The reality of the internet is those who scream "self promotion" are simply those who have no accomplishments to brag about.

Stating a fact isn't "self promotion": :

As I was saying... :rolleyes:

lkfmdc
10-19-2007, 12:54 PM
As I was saying... :rolleyes:

Listen, I'm really sorry for you that you are so insecure. I mean, you don't even post your real name or your credentials. Apparently someone found out who you really are, but you could have easily filled out your profile here and then people would have taken you at least a little seriously....

I have achieved a lot in my life, and I'm proud of that fact. I understand that it must make you bitter and resentful, but that isn't my problem, it's yours.

If you really were the "guardian of truth" or something, you'ed be all over Green Cloud and his ridiculous claims like white on rice.... but you're not, you're sitting aound waiting to make snipes from behind your keyboard.

unkokusai
10-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Listen, I'm really sorry for you

I have achieved a lot in my life, and I'm proud of that fact. I understand that it must make you bitter and resentful, but that isn't my problem, it's yours..

Are you really telling me that you can't see how desperately insecure it makes you look that you feel compelled to boost yourself at every opportunity? You seriously seem to be suffering from some degree of emotional disorder.

Not sure why you keep saying "Guardian of truth" and keep trying to point at other people in response to YOUR problem, but I guess it has something to do with whatever condition you have.

lkfmdc
10-19-2007, 01:19 PM
blah blah blah

yeah, yeah, I get it, you don't like me, so I'll have to find some way to go on with life :rolleyes:

unkokusai
10-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Did I say I didn't like you? There's another interesting reaction...

lkfmdc
10-19-2007, 01:25 PM
whatever you want to call it or however you want to characterize it, here, it's simple. I don't care what you think, how you feel or what you post. If I was really insecure I'm sure you'd have me in tears by now, but frankly, I don't give a darn about you one way or the other

unkokusai
10-19-2007, 01:34 PM
I do think you care. You care very much what everyone thinks of you and must constantly try to affirm yourself to anyone who will listen (or read).

I think you need to calm down and stop begging for approval from the whole world.

lkfmdc
10-19-2007, 01:36 PM
believe whaterer you want, really, I could care less

unkokusai
10-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Your posting history says otherwise...

street_fighter
10-19-2007, 01:50 PM
you do sound alittle insecure boss. Frankly i'm getting sick of seeing every thread on this forum turn into the same conversation, about tcma's problems, or your credentials. And as much as I get a chuckle out of it, this is no place for your kf family feud.

Why is it that everyone who prefers to remain annonymous is somehow your inferior? Take up flower arranging or something man, your on here too much, your going crazy.

lkfmdc
10-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Frankly i'm getting sick of seeing every thread on this forum turn into the same conversation, about tcma's problems, or your credentials.

I suggest you log onto the shaolin forum and read the "Is Shaolin-Do real" thread. It will keep you occupied for at least a month and then you can come back here, and man, you'll appreciate here!

Why is it that everyone who prefers to remain annonymous is somehow your inferior?

Not "inferior" but certainly less credible.

Let's say we want to discuss astrophysics (of which I know nothing at all). I do however believe at some point there was a theory called the "big bang".

Let's say "person x" posts the following
- "the big bang theory is crap"

If "person x" is an astrophysist working for NASA, I'd say he has more credible an argument than say a 16 year old kid who just felt like saying "that's crap"

I"m sorry, who are you again :p

unkokusai
10-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Recently, a nobel-prize winning geneticist claimed that black people are not as smart as white people.

Would you be out of line in telling him "that's crap" because you are not (presumably) a geneticist?

Would another geneticist be out of line in telling him "that's crap" if he had not won the nobel prize?

Do you NEED to be a nobel-prize winning geneticist to see that he is full of crap?

Even worse, do you now believe that black people aren't as smart as white people because a nobel-prize winning geneticist said so?

monji112000
10-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Recently, a nobel-prize winning geneticist claimed that black people are not as smart as white people.

Would you be out of line in telling him "that's crap" because you are not (presumably) a geneticist?

Would another geneticist be out of line in telling him "that's crap" if he had not won the nobel prize?

Do you NEED to be a nobel-prize winning geneticist to see that he is full of crap?

Even worse, do you now believe that black people aren't as smart as white people because a nobel-prize winning geneticist said so?
You missed the point completely. Someone who has a basis to make a statement often means they know more about what they are talking (not always). For example if we were talking about computers I would be considered more of a expert than most people. (BS,MS, many years of experience).
That doesn't mean that I will always be correct or even know anything about the specific subject in computers. It just means that When I say Microsoft make horrible products. I can back it up with credentials, and experience. If lets say my grandmother say it.. it doesn't really mean anything. The next step would be to prove my point via point reasons backed by evidence. Evidence can be other "experts". Ect..

Point being he runs a school, he likes to flex his knowledge about Martial arts, its nice to see someone say here is my background when they start ranting. That way other people can ignore it or listen.

TenTigers
10-19-2007, 03:45 PM
He's not the first to do this-Tom Patire did it with his CDT stuff,Swain did it with his Judo tutorials,Crav Maga, etc just check out a trade mag like the ones put out by NAPMA, and you will see all these mini-programs to certify school owners to teach in their schools. Most of the successful, commercial schools, (not all of them are McDojos) have multiple classes. It's no different than the places that used to be simply haircutters, becoming day spas, offering nails, waxing,facials,massage,etc and becomming "Full-Service Salons."
Some of us do it on a smaller scale, by adding grappling,shuai-jiao,Muay Thai,cardio-kick, Yoga, Tai-Chi,Bully-proof,etc. Look at the larger more successful "Traditional" schools, like Lee Koon Hung, Tat Wong,etc and you will see more than simply TCMA.
Like my Sifu,Tsang Wai-Ming used to say,"Give the students what they think they want, while you give them what they need,"

unkokusai
10-19-2007, 05:12 PM
You missed the point completely. .

You didn't answer the questions in my post.

rogue
10-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Like my Sifu,Tsang Wai-Ming used to say,"Give the students what they think they want, while you give them what they need,"

Or just take more money from them. On one hand these programs can fill gaps in a style or a instructors expertise. On the other hand many of these skills that should be integrated into what the school does are taught as an add on for more cash.

OsirisBJJ
10-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Shameful. I had to bust my ass for my blue.

tjmitch
10-19-2007, 07:04 PM
My blue belt cost me about 3 years and 1 surgery. I'll keep mine, thanks.

rogue
10-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Guys, your blue belts are safe as this is only a small part of GJJ and not even referred to as GJJ. It does seem simply as a way to separate students from more of their money. Usually these kind of things work that the guy handing out the license gets a cut of the take for each student taking the 22 lesson course. There may even be restrictions that the licensee can not teach any of the material in their regular classes.

The next section could almost be titled What are the benefits to Rorian with you becoming a Gracie Combatives™ Licensee?

What are the benefits of becoming a Gracie Combatives™ Licensee?

Full Authorization to Teach Gracie Combatives™
Immediately after you successfully complete the instructor certification course, your school will be regarded as a Certified Gracie Combatives™ Training Center and you will be authorized to offer the Gracie Combatives™ program to the students at your school in the exact same format that has been proven highly effective at the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy® as well as military and law enforcement training centers worldwide.

Use of Official Gracie Trademarks
Once licensed, you will be fully authorized to use the trademarked Gracie Triangle logo and the Gracie Combatives™ name in promoting the program being offered at your school. Usage of these highly recognizable and respected trademarks will ensure that all prospective students know you have met the high operational standards established by the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy®.

Gracie Teaching Technologies
As fighters, the Gracies focus on perfecting their techniques so that they will work on any opponent. As instructors, the Gracies focus on perfecting their teaching strategies so that they can teach any student. The Gracie Teaching Technologies are the systems and formulas that have been used by the Gracies to teach countless students from virtually every demographic over the last 80 years. During the instructor certification course, you will be taught how to use these technologies in great detail, so that you can have the greatest possible impact on the lives of students.

Official Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Belt Promotion
At the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy, a "technical blue belt" is awarded to anyone who perfects their understanding and execution of the Gracie Combatives techniques. Since you will be licensed to offer the complete Gracie Combatives course to your students, you will be authorized to promote them up to fourth degree white belt level. Up to two (2) times per year you can arrange to have a Gracie Academy Head Instructor visit your training center to evaluate all fourth degree white belt holders and award blue belts to those who qualify.

Exclusive Territory
To discourage competition between Certified Gracie Combatives™ Training Centers you will be given an exclusive territory in which only you shall be authorized offer the Gracie Combatives™ program to the public. As long as the quality of instruction is upheld at your certified training center, we will not license anyone to offer Gracie Combatives™ within 5 miles from your school. Your exclusive territory will be reserved once you have successfully reserved your spot in the Gracie Combatives™ Instructor Certification Course (See information below on Step 2 of the application process).

Confidential Training Manual
To help ensure that you are fully prepared to implement the Gracie Combatives™ program at your school, you will be issued a confidential training manual which outlines virtually every detail of every technique covered in the Gracie Combatives™ course.

Web site Exposure/Recognition
Today there are several hundreds of martial arts schools falsely claiming to be Gracie Certified. All licensees will be given the opportunity to be listed on the official Gracie Academy web site as Certified Gracie Combatives Training Centers so that students from around the world can find a school where they can learn the most important Gracie Jiu-Jitsu techniques of all time.

Increased Tuition Revenue
Assuming the Gracie Combatives™ program is added to your curriculum and is offered to your students at $125/month, with 50 students enrolled in the program, you will generate additional revenue of $6,250.00 each month (totaling $75,000 each year). (Note: Although the Gracie Combatives™ program can multiply the revenues of any existing martial arts academy, the successful implementation of the Gracie Combatives™ program is entirely reliant on the business administration skills of the licensee and is no way guaranteed by the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy®.)

Gracie Merchandise/Apparel Revenue
Once your students fall in love with Gracie Jiu-Jitsu they are going to want to wear the apparel to prove it. All Gracie Combatives™ licensees will have the opportunity to become authorized dealers of Gracie Products (apparel, training wear, books, DVD's) at discounted wholesale prices. With new products being released every month, offering Gracie Merchandise to your students is a sure fire way to increase revenues.

APPLICATION INFORMATION

What are the fees associated with becoming a Gracie Combatives Licensee?
There is an initial licensing fee that covers the cost of the 2 week instructor training program and there is a monthly licensing fee for which the licensee is awarded the right to use Gracie Combatives program as well as all the other benefits listed above. The fees are discussed in more detail during Step 2 of the application process.

rogue
10-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Bonus question: Why is this course (or value added program) being offered now? After all if so many soldiers have learned this material couldn't the soldiers just give it a name and teach it to civilians? Why do I think this is a pre-emptive move? ;)

See above.

cjurakpt
10-21-2007, 08:19 PM
stop Phoenix from rising

BruceSteveRoy
12-04-2007, 12:57 PM
i just saw this on youtube and thought it was relevent to this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN5gn1-77jQ

Knifefighter
12-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Shameful. I had to bust my ass for my blue.

I'm disappointed to see them marketing even the potential for a blue belt after only two weeks of training. One thing that has always impressed me about BJJ is how much time and effort it takes to achieve the next rank.

Also interesting to hear them downplaying tournaments so much. When I trained there, they held in house sport BJJ tourneys that were considered part of the development to becoming a fighter.

i just saw this on youtube and thought it was relevent to this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN5gn1-77jQ

Mc BJJ begins.

sanjuro_ronin
12-05-2007, 05:48 AM
On a side note, Matt Thorton got his BJJ BB recently no?
What competitions has he competed in ?

Drake
12-05-2007, 05:58 AM
I think Gracie BJJ is popular here in the military due to the fact that Soldiers are generally larger folks who don't have 3 years to get the basics down. They need something quickly taught and generally effective so the Soldier can train other, more critical combat tasks, not to mention the fact that anything other than grappling is a royal pain in the *ss when you are wearing IBA w/ESAPI plates, DAPS, ACH, and carrying a locked and loaded M16A2/M4. Just TRY doing a roundhouse or spinning kick with THAT on while in 120 degree heat.

monji112000
12-05-2007, 07:50 AM
I think Gracie BJJ is popular here in the military due to the fact that Soldiers are generally larger folks who don't have 3 years to get the basics down. They need something quickly taught and generally effective so the Soldier can train other, more critical combat tasks, not to mention the fact that anything other than grappling is a royal pain in the *ss when you are wearing IBA w/ESAPI plates, DAPS, ACH, and carrying a locked and loaded M16A2/M4. Just TRY doing a roundhouse or spinning kick with THAT on while in 120 degree heat.

well the thing about Gracie combatives is that its just basics. Its not a ranking system and its designed to give the average person the basic grappling skill. You are not going to really be able to pull the stuff off in real life (its a short program), but you are going to want to continue training. Its a smart idea, and I don't really think anyone believes they are suddenly fighters. I would personally do the program if I didn't need to pay (too much money!). Its nice to hear someone explain something from a different perspective. The clips that they have every month are really basic. I wonder if they even let you roll in the program?

have you wrestled before? I would do 100 roundhouse kicks in 120 degree heat vrs. grappling in 120 degree heat for 5-10 minutes.

sanjuro_ronin
12-05-2007, 08:06 AM
have you wrestled before? I would do 100 roundhouse kicks in 120 degree heat vrs. grappling in 120 degree heat for 5-10 minutes.

I would hope so since it will take you a lot less time and energy to whip out 100 lousy kicks !
:eek:

Drake
12-05-2007, 08:13 AM

What the? I would pay SO much money to see someone kick 100 times in that heat.

But yes, I've wrestled before. And for our situation, you aren't rolling around for five minutes with anybody. This stuff is over usually within the first minute if you have even the slightest idea of what you are doing.

Finally, you are never alone, so it's not one on one.

It's really hard to take this seriously after reading the part about the kicks, though.

monji112000
12-05-2007, 08:27 AM
What the? I would pay SO much money to see someone kick 100 times in that heat.

But yes, I've wrestled before. And for our situation, you aren't rolling around for five minutes with anybody. This stuff is over usually within the first minute if you have even the slightest idea of what you are doing.

Finally, you are never alone, so it's not one on one.

It's really hard to take this seriously after reading the part about the kicks, though.

Are we talking about free rolling? if so its probably the best cardio you could do. Kicking is very tiring, but rolling or free wrestling, sparring whatever you call it is 100% worse. Maybe it was more like drills? or specific situation stuff?

Drake
12-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Are we talking about free rolling? if so its probably the best cardio you could do. Kicking is very tiring, but rolling or free wrestling, sparring whatever you call it is 100% worse. Maybe it was more like drills? or specific situation stuff?

Ok...like I said...you can't kick in your gear. Not above the knees, or maybe hips if you really work at it. It'll throw you off balance, too.

I'm not sure what you mean by free wrestling, but I'm talking real life situations with a seriously resisting prisoner. I don't wrestle for fun. You use what you've learned, quickly take control, and your battle buddy assists, usually by pointing a weapon at the guy.

monji112000
12-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Ok...like I said...you can't kick in your gear. Not above the knees, or maybe hips if you really work at it. It'll throw you off balance, too.

I'm not sure what you mean by free wrestling, but I'm talking real life situations with a seriously resisting prisoner. I don't wrestle for fun. You use what you've learned, quickly take control, and your battle buddy assists, usually by pointing a weapon at the guy.
I think I follow what you mean, yah kicking in that stuff is hard. You are talking about situational stuff. Free rolling is really anything goes (not striking) until someone submits. Depending on the other persons size, skill , speed ect... it can be a good workout.

examples of rolling or randori :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v35834Kufe8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxzQ2EYeTM8

Drake
12-05-2007, 08:49 AM
I think I follow what you mean, yah kicking in that stuff is hard. You are talking about situational stuff. Free rolling is really anything goes (not striking) until someone submits. Depending on the other persons size, skill , speed ect... it can be a good workout.

examples of rolling or randori :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v35834Kufe8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxzQ2EYeTM8

That's why in that movie Black Hawk Down, you saw the Rangers taking out their plates. They chose to sacrifice safety for mobility. It was a mistake in retrospect, but nobody knew that the whole hornets nest would fall on them.

We're also typically larger than our opponents, and with the added weight of our gear, it's very easy to bring down an unruly prisoner. The goal is quick and easy.

Wayfaring
12-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Guys, your blue belts are safe as this is only a small part of GJJ and not even referred to as GJJ. It does seem simply as a way to separate students from more of their money. Usually these kind of things work that the guy handing out the license gets a cut of the take for each student taking the 22 lesson course. There may even be restrictions that the licensee can not teach any of the material in their regular classes.

I just saw an episode of "Dr. 90210" where the doc got his blue belt through this program. It made me want to kick some celebrity @ss.

monji112000
12-05-2007, 08:51 PM
I just saw an episode of "Dr. 90210" where the doc got his blue belt through this program. It made me want to kick some celebrity @ss.

belts say very little. Belts are good when you have a large school, but as a whole I am not a fan of belts. (other than to hold your pants up)
You should know how you are progressing, and were you are at. If you need a belt to tell you that then you have a problem.

Wayfaring
12-05-2007, 10:44 PM
belts say very little. Belts are good when you have a large school, but as a whole I am not a fan of belts. (other than to hold your pants up)
You should know how you are progressing, and were you are at. If you need a belt to tell you that then you have a problem.

Thanks, Dr. Phil.

I just like tapping fake bluebelts with teabag kimuras, especially after not washing my jock.

monji112000
12-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks, Dr. Phil.

I just like tapping fake bluebelts with teabag kimuras, especially after not washing my jock.
no problem. I never teabag when I wrestle, but I guess thats personal preference.

sanjuro_ronin
12-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Teabag = triangle from the mount :D

MightyB
12-07-2007, 01:57 PM

I am so using that in my Sig.

MightyB
08-20-2009, 02:17 PM
My buddy who's a parole officer let me borrow his set... they're actually pretty well made. Earlier in the thread, Coach Ross mentioned that he thought they'd be good for a Judo Black Belt, he's right. The techniques are mostly variations on the basic Newaza techniques taught in Judo. Believe it or not, there's good stuff in the tapes and they are actually really well made and easy to follow. I watched the first lesson set and now I'm helping my neighbor work out with them. I figured "what the heck" it's pretty much Judo and I can use the gym at my own leisure- so why not.

Anyway- they're not bad dvds-- they're actually pretty good.

If you're in a system that has no realistic groundfighting they'll at least put you on the right path. But be warned that they probably will be hard for you to follow if you've never done any type of newaza.

goju
08-20-2009, 06:03 PM
lol this makes me even more glad i stopped doing bjj
oh but its "gracie combatives" so its different right my bullocks it i
its turned out ot be another mcdojo franchise