PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Wing Chun school in NYC

sonyburnett
10-18-2007, 09:45 PM
I took traditional Wing Chun a few years ago and want to get back into it. I work in manhattan and was wondering if there are any good schools that teach wing chun. I know there are some classes in the outer boroughs, but I work pretty long hours..so I was hoping to find something in manhattan. I have done a search on the internet and the only two schools I found were one that was taught by a guy named Terrence Yip or Yip Pui...as well as another guy named sifu Chow. I am not sure what brand of wing chun these sifu's teach...but I liked traditional wing chun when I studied it, and woudl like to continue in that area. If anyone knows of a teacher in Manhattan that teaches traditional wing chun, please let me know. Otherwise, I would be willing to go to another class if someone here thinks the teacher is particularly skilled. Any ideas are welcomed. Thanks.

Sony

stonecrusher69
10-19-2007, 04:15 AM
Hi sony..I know a guy who does TWC in the city. He's very good. Pm me and I'll give you his email..

southernkf
10-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Hi,

I don't know any thing about Yip Pui. I suspect Chow is sifu Chung K Chow. I don't know how good he is, but I suspect he is pretty good. His video seems like he does good stuff. His wing chun is from Leung Sheung lineage indirectly through his teacher, so you should be getting some good stuff. I understand he has been exploring with other fighting methods in relation to wing chun and calls it Integrated wing chun. I don't know how traditional his current teachings are. But it seems to me you could do much worse that to study with him. He is worth checking out and seeing if you like what he offers. I believe one of his students is a member of the list and perhaps could shed more light.

bamboo bug
10-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Fut Sao Wing Chun Kuen
20th ave & 74st Bensonhurst
Saint Dominics Tues.&Thurs
347 495-6992 James Cama Sifu
www.futsaoyongchunkuen.com

You will not be disappointed...
If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, or call Sifu James Cama.

marcus_pasram
10-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Hello Sony,

All of us think our teachers is the "best". Don't trust any of us to answer your question objectively. It is safer for you to make an informed decision after you visit different schools to ask questions and feel things out.

Fortunately the NY/NJ Metro area has many schools and if you do your research properly, you'll find an instructor who can teach you to apply his/her art

Good luck in your search,

sonyburnett
10-20-2007, 09:45 AM
I know someone recomended Grados win chun...but isn't that modified? I don't want to start a big war over traditional wing chun vs. modified, but since I have had about 2 years in tradtiional, I was assuming I should stay with it. Obviously if someone hear thinks there is an outstanding teacher in NYC, it probably doens't matter if he is modified or traditional. Anyway, all thoughts are welcomed. Thanks.

Vajramusti
10-20-2007, 10:18 AM
If you want TWC Victor Parlati and Phil can help you.

joy chaudhuri

JGTevo
10-20-2007, 01:50 PM
I know someone recomended Grados win chun...but isn't that modified? I don't want to start a big war over traditional wing chun vs. modified, but since I have had about 2 years in tradtiional, I was assuming I should stay with it. Obviously if someone hear thinks there is an outstanding teacher in NYC, it probably doens't matter if he is modified or traditional. Anyway, all thoughts are welcomed. Thanks.

Check out both... see what you feel is the best.. don't get caught up in hype or stuck in a single mindset. Be open-minded and scientific in your approach.

Ultimatewingchun
10-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Back on line, and thanks again guys...

Yes, as Joy said, I teach Traditional Wing Chun. My school was located in Manhattan from 1984-2001. But now it's located in Brooklyn. About 15 minutes into Brooklyn on the train. First the "B" train to Newkirk Avenue - and then on the same platform take the "Q" one stop to Avenue H.

If you'd like to discuss some details and/or come and watch a class or two, you can contact me at: wingchun@usa.com

Phil Redmond
10-21-2007, 04:20 PM
I don't use the term "modified". It's divisive. I use "popular" Wing Chun.

Matrix
10-21-2007, 07:08 PM
All of us think our teachers is the "best". Don't trust any of us to answer your question objectively. It is safer for you to make an informed decision after you visit different schools to ask questions and feel things out.
IMO, this is the best piece of advice. Make sure that you're making an informed decision.

Bill

monji112000
10-23-2007, 02:52 PM
I took traditional Wing Chun a few years ago and want to get back into it. I work in manhattan and was wondering if there are any good schools that teach wing chun. I know there are some classes in the outer boroughs, but I work pretty long hours..so I was hoping to find something in manhattan. I have done a search on the internet and the only two schools I found were one that was taught by a guy named Terrence Yip or Yip Pui...as well as another guy named sifu Chow. I am not sure what brand of wing chun these sifu's teach...but I liked traditional wing chun when I studied it, and woudl like to continue in that area. If anyone knows of a teacher in Manhattan that teaches traditional wing chun, please let me know. Otherwise, I would be willing to go to another class if someone here thinks the teacher is particularly skilled. Any ideas are welcomed. Thanks.

Sony

Hello Sony,

Fortunately the NY/NJ Metro area has many schools and if you do your research properly, you'll find an instructor who can teach you to apply his/her art

Good luck in your search,

You must first think about what you are looking for in a MA. You have to be honest about your goals and your requirements. How much time can you invest? Money? What you are looking for? CHi sao? Self defense? fighting? Do you already have a preference in styles? why?

I know of only one WC school in the NY area that is worth joining, its Allen Lee's school. I do not train there, but he is competent.
I am sure you can find someone looking for a training partner if nothing else.

southernkf
10-23-2007, 03:12 PM

Hi Sonny,

It depends on what you mean by traditional. William Cheung uses it(or has) to differentiate what he is doing. Many people that say "traditional" wing chun refer specifically to William Cheung's line. If you have two years experience, you may want to look into that.

However, traditional is also used by many other people. I have seen few people use it just to mean that their wing chun is as they were taught. If your in Yip Man line, you may learn from someone who learned under him, and hopefully the traditional would mean you were getting what he was taught rather than his blending of wing chun with other stuff. Others freely acklnowledge their stuff to be modified.

Two years is not very long and you probably would do fine in what ever version you picked up. As mentioned above, everyones teacher is the best, so it depends on works for you. I prefer shorter lineage lines, highly skilled individuals, and a more traditional approach. others have different requirements. Check around at the various schools. Once you have a list of viable options ping the list with them and we can provide more feedback

sonyburnett
10-24-2007, 09:02 AM
I will try and look around Manhattan. I don't think I will be able to get out to Brooklyn otherwise I would try that. Sifu Chow's school is very close to me so maybe that is a good way to start. I guess I don't really understand what is so different about the various styles of Wing Chun. Wasn't trying to be divisive by saying modified, but when I trained 10 years ago, that was what people called it. I have been out of the game since then so to speak. I agree that the teacher matters more than the style....which is why I originally posted. Thanks for all yoru help on this. I really apprecaite it.

Lindley
10-24-2007, 10:13 AM
Sonyburnett,

I would recommend that you check out Sifu Miguel Hernandez in Brooklyn before making your final decision. He is an extremely knowledgeable person on Ving Tsun. He was a very close disciple of Sigung Moy Yat. He has personally trained two people, to my knowledge, with no Wing Chun background in Wing Chun "concepts" to win the famous Kou Sho Tournament in Maryland a few years back. He is a true "coach" who offers his students the potential to excel.

http://www.nycvingtsun.com/

Good luck in your Kung Fu!