PDA

View Full Version : Video: Fajin in the Spirit of Yang Tai Chi

suddenflower
10-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Master Wei-Chung Lin, a disciple of the Yizungyue School and the Chief Instructor of the Chinese Taoist Martial Arts Association in Skokie Illinois, demonstrate Yang style Tai Chi fajin exercises based on Shian Tian Jin Fa (or The Pre-Heaven Power Method). Section One of the Yang style Tai Chi Chuan traditional form follows.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0luEQ7lbBE

When you watch Part 1, please note that what is shown in the video are training exercises, not fighting scenarios!!! The practitioner is supposed to learn something from practicing these exercises with a certain amount of cooperation from the partners.

The major objective of these exercises is to measure the quality and power of the fajin movements after standing-stake training. Therefore, in most situations, the partner is requested to stay rigid and not try to yield. In other words, the person being thrown is live weight, much like a heavy punching bag. Following this protocol, the reaction of the partner faithfully reflects the efficiency of the fajin movement. If you are interested in examples of applications on resisting opponents, please watch our YouTube videos on Bagua, Xingyi, and Chen Tai Chi.

imperialtaichi
10-21-2007, 07:54 PM
When you watch Part 1, please note that what is shown in the video are training exercises, not fighting scenarios!!! The practitioner is supposed to learn something from practicing these exercises with a certain amount of cooperation from the partners.

Hello Sudden Flower,

I agree that in the beginning, the student would benefit immensely when training with a good cooperative partner. A lot of times the development of such power is so illusive that if the partner is not cooperative in the beginning, it is very hard for the student to "taste the flavour" and to understand what to look for.

However, once the beginner/student has a taste of what to look for, it is essential to train the student against less cooperative, or even free style uncooperative partners. I would go as far as saying it is dangerous, as the student may develope a false confidence as to what he/she can do.

For example, we learn to control the opponent through sticking to their centre http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQIiG05v7xg

What are some of your strategies beyond the initial beginner's training?

Cheers,
John

Takuan
10-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Neat video, great training exercise!

I'm gonna have to try this one! :D Thanks for sharing!

suddenflower
10-22-2007, 10:06 PM
For example, we learn to control the opponent through sticking to their centre http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQIiG05v7xg

What are some of your strategies beyond the initial beginner's training?

I like your explanation on sticking and controlling.

In addition to the fajin exercises shown in the video, we use the push-hands system passed down by Master Cheng Man-Ching and the respond-hands system developed by Master Pan Yue. The former is similar to that of the traditional Yang style Tai Chi. The latter is a system developed based on the Gao Yi-Shen style Bagua push-hands-like training. The system can be roughly grouped into two categories: internal-hands (i.e., your hands are inside of the opponent's hands) and external-hands (i.e., your hands are outside of the opponent's hands) techniques. The jins in the internal-hands category include adhering, twisting, propping, rolling, and rebounding. The jins in the external-hands category include touching, hooking, massaging, lifting, and twining.

After the fixed-pattern push-hands/respond-hands training, the students start to practice free-form push-hands/response-hands. Controlled sparring are also practiced at this stage.

imperialtaichi
10-23-2007, 12:32 AM
In addition to the fajin exercises shown in the video, we use the push-hands system passed down by Master Cheng Man-Ching and the respond-hands system developed by Master Pan Yue.

Hello Sudden Flower,

Thank you for your explanations.

A very good friend of mine had the fortune of meeting Master Pan some years back. His power was tremendous. Even Mrs. Pan, who was a lot smaller built comparing to my friend, was expressing a lot of power.

Cheers,
John