PDA

View Full Version : JKD & Kung Fu

huineng
07-17-2000, 07:49 PM
I do not know to much about Jeet Kuen Do for the exception of what I have seen bruce do.
What are the similarities and differences between the two MAs? Is it really better than Kung Fu As Bruce wanted it to be?
Does Bruce have anyone that has surpassed his skill in this system?

DragonzRage
07-18-2000, 05:10 AM
huineng,

Well, you can't really compare Jeet Kune Do and Gung fu because Gung fu is a specific style with a set of techniques while Jeet Kune Do is more of a philosophy/idea. What you can compare to traditional Gung fu is Bruce's Jun Fan Gung fu which was the specific style and techniques he developed. Jun Fan is an important aspect of Jeet Kune Do, but it does not embody the entire philosophy. Being a serious practitioner of Jun Fan and having been a serious practitioner of traditional Gung fu, I feel that Jun Fan is much better adapted to modern fighting and is much more practical and well rounded than most traditional Gung fu styles. I really consider it a modern form of Chinese boxing because many of its principles and techniques are based upon Wing Chun and it also includes techniques and aspects of various Gung fu styles such as Northern Shaolin, southern mantis and Choy li Fut. It differs from traditional Gung fu in that it incorporates a lot of western boxing, kickboxing and fencing. It also does not have an set postures or stances other than the bai jong "on guard" position. Everything else is live footwork. In traditional Gung fu there are many more specific postures and set stances.

In creating Jun Fan Gung fu I believe that Bruce Lee wanted to create something more diverse, well rounded and practical than traditional wing chun, karate, tae kwon do, etc. I think he succeeded in doing this. In creating Jeet Kune Do, Bruce wasn't really trying to surpass Gung fu but he was trying to transcend the limitations many martial artists place upon themselves by conforming to a specific style.

As for Jeet Kune Do descendants surpassing Bruce, I feel that there are definitely those who have done so. Judo Gene LeBell has stated that he feels that Dan Inosanto is every bit as good, if not better than Bruce was. I don't think there is any denying that Guro Inosanto has accumulated much more technical knowledge than Bruce had when he died. Sifu Burton Richardson is another JKD man who has become extremely knowledgeable in all aspects of martial arts and truly embodies the idea of JKD which Bruce always strived for. Erik Paulsen is also an extremely knowledgeable and well rounded JKD man and he has proven his abilities by becoming a very good NHB champion (something that even Bruce himself never accomplished). He has undoubtedly surpassed bruce's fighting ability. Sifu Paul Vunak has created a very no nonsense street oriented method of JKD which he has tested and perfected through pure street experience. Also an expert in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Sifu Vunak is one of the most respected brawlers around. He has arguably become much tougher than Bruce was. I think Bruce would be pleased to see that his ideas of Jeet Kune Do have been developed so much further and that his vision of the JKD man has been realized. Of course we must remember that Bruce died too soon. If he had lived on to this day and continued to develop his skills, I do not think anyone could have surpassed him.

~Max

huineng
07-18-2000, 09:44 PM
Thanx for clearing that up for me.
---huineng---

RAYNYSC
07-19-2000, 03:53 AM
Excellent reply there DragonzRage if I do say so myself...

PEACE /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Rising Dragon
07-21-2000, 05:22 AM
coudnt say it better myself.
Well done DragonZRage