PDA

View Full Version : The basis for a JKD beginner?

illusionfist
07-20-2000, 01:52 PM
This topic is kind of inspired by curious' topic in the kung fu forum. If someone was to go to a JKD school and they had no prior martial arts experience, what would their basis be made from? Would they learn some wing chun first or maybe boxing? Does it really vary according to the instructors curriculum or his/her "mother" system? Just wondering cuz i have always wondered this and i was hoping that some of you JKD'ers could help shed some light on this for me.

Thanks in advance /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Peace /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

GinSueDog
07-20-2000, 09:20 PM
Illusionfist,
It really depends on what Jeet Kune Do school you are going too and who the instructor is. They are not limited to only Jun Fan JKD and JKD Concepts, as JKD Concepts has a number of different branches under it such as PFS, JKD Unlimited, and Straight Blast to name a few, each with there own teaching methods and each with there own way of doing things and as well as there own perferences. For example Paul Vunak's PFS normally starts a new student off with single stick drills first, then after a few weeks techniques from Savate, Boxing and Thai boxing are added but this varies from PFS instructor to PFS instructor. I do know that PFS students spar from day one and on. It is all up to the instructor, a student under Richard Bustillo, may start out with boxing hand techniques and Thai kicks first and may not start real sparring until six months later. It is really up to the instructors, the funny thing is no matter who your instructor is and what they focus on first in the end you reach the same finish line and end using and knowing a similiar set of techniques. I personally like to have a taste of what each of the branches within Jeet Kune Do offer and will normally switch or change instructors from time to time, also many JKD students and instructors cross train in a name of different arts. I know Dan Inosanto used to require all his instructors to be skilled and certified in a number of different arts including Muay Thai under Dr. Chai inorder to be a JKD instructor. I don't know if this is still the case though, but that is why many JKD schools under Inosanto lineage offer BJJ, Muay Thai, and Kali as other systems they teach. I hope that helps a little.-ED

------------------
"The grappling arts imply most fights end up on the ground...take them there. The striking arts imply all fights start standing up...keep them there. The mixed martial arts imply any fight can go anywhere...be ready and able to go everywhere."-a mix martial artist

[This message has been edited by GinSueDog (edited 07-21-2000).]

Lung Ying
07-20-2000, 11:20 PM
illusionfist,

The best way for you to answer your question is to read THE TAO OF JEET KUNE DO (I'm reading it now). It's like the bible of Bruce's ideas. Though it's not supposed to be a particular style,he pushes alot of boxing techniques and training methods, and it's clear that his parts on punching mechanics comes from Southern Kung-fu styles as in Wing Chun. The kicking comes from all styles- Chinese, Jappanese, French, Thai.

So, to answer your question, if you walk into a JKD school they will probably teach you a bunch of different styles with JKD concepts. And as depending on the teacher, if you already know a style they may help you incorporate JKD concepts into it.

Personally, I think it is better to Master a complete style first, and later JKD is a great way to bring what you know into a real fighting situation, tips for sparring.

If your really interested, the book is worth reading.

Later-

GinSueDog
07-20-2000, 11:52 PM
Lung Ying,
Hmmmm...No, they are more likely to show you a number of different techniques that they have found to have been effective. There is a misconception that Jeet Kune Do is just a hodge podge of different techniques just slapped together without any rhyme or reason which just isn't the case. Actually JKD works best if you have never studied martial arts as there would be no programmed or personal bias, as well as not having to unlearn anything.-ED

------------------
"The grappling arts imply most fights end up on the ground...take them there. The striking arts imply all fights start standing up...keep them there. The mixed martial arts imply any fight can go anywhere...be ready and able to go everywhere."-a mix martial artist

Lung Ying
07-21-2000, 01:04 AM
At the end of Bruce's book he asks that we don't fuss over what Jeet Kune do is- only a name. Since I don't want him turning in his grave, I won't fuss over it. Though I'm definitely not an expert on JKD, the statements I made are my interpretation of what I am reading in his book.

You suggest begining JKD with no MA backround, but the founder, Bruce Lee, had a solid martial art backround. Then again, it's a matter of opinion-whatever works best for you.

The best advice for anyone is to go straight to the source, and read the book! Make your own interpretation and follow your own path. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

illusionfist
07-21-2000, 01:31 AM
Lung Ying- I do have the Tao of Jeet Kune Do and the one thing that i noticed right off the bat when i read it is this- It's incomplete... I also have the newly released books of the Bruce Lee Library (not all of them, just the ones really regarding fighting theory.) Although Bruce did list and articulate on some styles in his book(s), i do believe that by no means did he think those were the best ones that worked. I believe he felt those were the ones that worked for HIM at THAT time. Now we have access to tons of different arts so i think JKD will definitely be different than what bruce invisioned (stylistically... sorry couldn't think of a better word) but still be the same theoretically.

Ginsue- thanks man, once again you have opened my eyes more to the realm of JKD. JKD is definitely a personal art form which means we can have almost infinite versions.

Thanks

Peace /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

GinSueDog
07-21-2000, 02:04 AM
Lung Ying,
There are no schools that claim to be just Jeet Kune Do. When I say Jun Fan JKD it is a specific style based on Bruce Lee's orginal method he developed. When I ay JKD Concepts this is a specific method developed by Dan Inosanto and his experience. When I say PFS this is a system based on the experiences of Paul Vunak. JKD Unlimited is the experiences and methods from Burton Richardson. When you go to a "JKD" school, you are learning the instructor's methods and from there experiences, that is why I say it is easier to learn without the bias of another martial art. JKD itself is just a guild to which you refer too.-ED

illusionfist,
I think you got it /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif There really isn't any limit to how you want to use it, it is based on the individual. My way of fighting isn't necessarily going to be your way of fighting.-ED

------------------

[This message has been edited by GinSueDog (edited 07-21-2000).]

Lung Ying
07-21-2000, 02:43 AM
Best of luck to you in your studies! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

08-21-2000, 12:02 AM
I would try a whole diffrent approach how about looking at JUN Fan Gung Fu from the Seattle Era then try learning the LA/Chinatown era It will give you two halves to the whole and you wont have to add all this clutter that is out there. Read the other books like Jeet Kune Do Comentaires on the Martial Way it is much more complete look at JKD

[This message has been edited by BryanS (edited 08-21-2000).]

vingtsunstudent
08-21-2000, 07:30 AM
hi guys
i am niether 4 nor against jkd because it's each to there own & if everyone did the same art boy what a boring place this forum would be.i'm not meaning to upset anyone, so read everything b4 you go yelling & screaming.
bruce once wrote wong shun leung explaining to him he was going to close his jkd down because he felt none(well not quite all) of his students understood or were gaining quality from his training.
wongs reply was this- (not his exact words so pleaz forgive me)basically he explained to him that unlike bruce a lot of his student lacked a foundation in a traditional martial art & therefor would be a little harder 4 them to grasp his mix of arts.
wong did however tell him to persevere with his teachings as he was sure that with time they would come to understand.
gee i,ll bet u jkd guys are glad he did.
again i want no arguements but just wanted to let u know an interesting truth that even i as a ving tsun man found very interesting.

LEGEND
08-23-2000, 02:27 AM
Bruce was very fond of WONG...he considered WONG a senior student...a teacher and so forth! Bruce was a very impatient person...if his student wasn't top quality well...he didn't really think much of you...