PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Lien-Gung exc.

TenTigers
10-25-2007, 10:45 AM
What are your favorite Lien-Gung exercises, the ones that you found were the most effective at developing specific strengths and powers?

I have been working with the rings alot lately. My rings are 81/2 lbs each, and I use two-three on each arm, depending on what I am working on. Mostly SBG.
I also like the jars, bar rolling, and "Water Dividing" with rattaan staves, but I need a partner for that.

Sicilian Tofu M
10-25-2007, 11:38 AM
I like Da Sam Sing on a tree\pole, its just relaxing.

sanjuro_ronin
10-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Funny you should mention stuff liek that, it seems to be making a come back (Dinosaur training).
If you look up sashi and Chisi in Okinawan Goju you will see "keetlebells" and "leverage clubs" in the okinawan motive.
Jars too for the gripping.
Matter of fact, on youtube under Uechi-ryu you will fins clips of an old sensei using that stuff.

WinterPalm
10-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Your rings weight eight and a half pounds each? :eek:
That's heavy.
Do you have any pictures?
Ours are a pound, I think.

TenTigers
10-25-2007, 01:07 PM
these rings are about an inch thick and 6-8 inches in diameter-they came from a company called Wayland Inc. that makes industrial crane and hoisting equipment. It was their old, surplus stock, which we have been buying out over the years. They sold them to us at around 30 bucks apiece, and now that they're gone, they said if we wanted more, they were going to be sixty bucks each! So I bought ten, knowing it will take many years for me to buikld up to it, but I figured I'd get them while I can. You can have a steelworker/welding place make them up for you out of bar stock, it will cost about the same.

here is the ring (scroll down)
http://alpind.com/pdf_files/2007/FTG%20Obl%20Lk%20Rng.pdf

banditshaw
10-25-2007, 01:31 PM
I have three rings. I want to get some more eventually.
I also do the jars filled with sand. I slap the sandbag which I cover with a pillow case. I have a canvas bag filled with steel shot(25lbs)
which I use for finger grip exercises. Also I use the iron broom for shin and arm conditioning.
Sam Sing with a partner or tree when I can.

Golden Arms
10-25-2007, 01:37 PM
I am a big fan of the rings, jars, bags, some sledgehammer swinging exercises, pole shaking work, rolling bars on my arms and legs, and finger and hand training among others. These are some of my favorite supplemental exercises to do. Those rings sound like monsters though Ten. I use some old rings used for fishing nets. If you don't use them very regularly, they rust and then tear up your arms, its good motivation to keep practicing regularly.