PDA

View Full Version : Yanfan (Franco Testini)

MasterKiller
10-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Is YanFei from the new issue the same dude...

who used to have that website angrymonk.com or madmonk.com or furiousmonk.com...something like that?

I know that dude was in L.A.

GeneChing
10-26-2007, 02:29 PM
There are three Yanfeis mentioned in The Gold Mountain Monks: 38 Shaolin Immigrants to the San Francisco Bay Area By Chen Xinghua and Gigi Oh in Shaolin Special 2007B (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48258). But I'm guessing that you mean Yanfan from The First American Branded at Shaolin Temple By Melissa Leon-Guerrero Do. I'm not sure if it's the same guy. I was kind of hoping one of you out there could confirm this or not.

MasterKiller
10-29-2007, 09:59 AM
There are three Yanfeis mentioned in The Gold Mountain Monks: 38 Shaolin Immigrants to the San Francisco Bay Area By Chen Xinghua and Gigi Oh in Shaolin Special 2007B (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48258). But I'm guessing that you mean Yanfan from The First American Branded at Shaolin Temple By Melissa Leon-Guerrero Do. I'm not sure if it's the same guy. I was kind of hoping one of you out there could confirm this or not.

Yeah, the white dude. I tried to find that website on waybackmachine, but I must have the URL wrong. I could have sworn it was furiousmonk.com.

GeneChing
10-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Yanfan's website is www.shaolintemplela.com. I still don't know if he was the furiousmonk or petulantmonk or tizzymonk or whatever. All you white guys look alike to me. ;)

LFJ
10-30-2007, 06:15 PM
he looks like... is he that guy from bulgaria?

he was teaching after spending 9 months in shaolin. i saw some videos of his. not to hate, but not too impressive for being a shifu. he was out of breath for a long period after just a couple minutes of easy forms. but 9 months isnt very long. kind of confusing.

is that him?

GeneChing
10-31-2007, 09:51 AM
...but all you white guys look alike to me. :p Just kidding.

Yanfan (Franco Testini) is Italian. I'm not sure who the Bulgarian guy is that you speak of...

LFJ
10-31-2007, 12:31 PM
i guess not then. but i must agree, those white european guys all look alike. these two guys are like twins!

GeneChing
10-31-2007, 01:56 PM
...I just don't know. I don't know the Bulgarian guy at all. Was he from Italy originally?

LFJ
10-31-2007, 06:23 PM
i have no idea about who he is really. but i know his name is nothing like franco tortellini, or anything. i think victor azmonov.

he was on a bulgarian talkshow talking about and demonstrating his gongfu which he learned while spending 9 months in shaolin, then became a teacher.

that show is on youtube. here is part one. maybe some bulgarian speaker here can translate? he shows his taijiquan and staff form on parts 3 and 4.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zehSb5IWfQg

GeneChing
11-01-2007, 09:34 AM
I've never heard of that guy in those vids. But Shaolin is so vast now that there are legions of people involved that I've never heard of. It's impossible to stay on top of it all anymore.

shaolinseeker11
05-20-2010, 01:34 PM
A link to a new documentary in the works about Shi Yan Fan the only Western (or non-Chinese) Shaolin Warrior Monk to be ordained into the tradition (the Jieba Ceremony).

http://www.siron.tv/landing/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=54

If anyone knows anything more about Shifu Shi Yan Fan aka Franco Testini, please post here...

:cool:

David Jamieson
05-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Gene, all you guys who look like Ming the Merciless look alike to me with your long hair and beards and mustaches. :p

I can only tell you apart by your hair colour!

GeneChing
06-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Karate Kid (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1021028)has been good for coattailing.;)

Shaolin Temple's real kick is inner peace (http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/19/local/la-me-beliefs-shaolin-20100619)
Closely aligned with the temple in China, the shrine in Sherman Oaks focuses on philosophy and meditation.
BELIEFS
June 19, 2010|By Ann M. Simmons, Los Angeles Times
* Mel Melcon, Los Angeles Times

China's world-famous Shaolin Temple gained prominence among many Americans with the release of the 1980s martial arts movie of the same name. An updated version of the film, loved by fans for the riveting kung fu stunts of the temple's legendary fighting monks, is in the works. And in recent weeks, Hollywood's remake of "The Karate Kid" has topped the box office, wowing audiences with its seemingly magical martial arts techniques.

But while kung fu continues to make a splash on the big screen, members of the Shaolin Buddhist Temple in Sherman Oaks are keen to spread a different message about the Shaolin culture and what their sanctuary has to offer.

"When people come here, it's not just about martial arts," said the temple's master, Italian-born Franco Testini, 43, whose Buddhist name, Shifu Shi Yan Fan, was given to him by the abbot of the Shaolin Temple in China.

"Hollywood has completely exaggerated the martial arts scene," added Cindy Truong, 32, a temple volunteer and event coordinator. "It's not all about Chinese people being thrown over chairs. The martial arts you see in the movies, that's Americanized. It's a very small part of Shaolin culture."

Situated on a busy stretch of Ventura Boulevard, the temple opened in 2008 and offers a tranquil escape from the world outside. Instruction focuses on Buddhist philosophy and meditation, the art of ancient Chinese tea ceremonies, a combination of stretching and breathing exercises known as chi gong, tai chi — and, of course, martial arts.

"But we don't train people to punch and kick," said Truong. "We train people to become strong internally, and that emanates externally. We try to educate people, that it's more than just fighting and fancy moves."

Testini stressed the link between breathing, listening and learning as a key to developing harmony between the mind and body.

Although there are several Shaolin schools in Los Angeles, only the Sherman Oaks shrine is listed on the official website of China's Shaolin Temple, where it is described as "the first official branch organization in North America."

What makes the Sherman Oaks temple even more unusual is Testini, its master.

In 2007, Testini became the first Westerner to be accepted into the elite of the 1,500-year-old Shaolin Temple in eastern central China, his supporters said. In an ancient ritual, he received the Buddhist brand marks that symbolize his high status in Shaolin culture, they added.

Articles in Chinese news media and American martial arts magazines publicized the honor bestowed on Testini, whose journey to monkhood began when he was a youngster in his hometown of Brindisi, an Italian port city.

Testini was 7 when he started taking martial arts lessons, he said. At 9, he began to compete. By his teens, he had won numerous competitions. And at age 21, he entered the monastery and eventually took vows to become a monk. His study at home was complemented by numerous trips to China's Shaolin Temple, to solidify his discipline and faith.
Advertisement

In 1994, Testini arrived in the United States. He didn't speak English and he was homeless for the first several months, sleeping on the beach or in abandoned cars. He traded martial arts instruction for food and soon developed a following of students and friends, who eventually found him permanent shelter. And in 2008, his students helped him lease a former furniture store that became the Sherman Oaks temple.

For Testini, his good fortune wasn't the result of luck but of his unwavering conviction that "everything is within reach."

It's a message he preaches daily, over tea, to the more than 50 people who have become members of the temple.

"You have to learn to believe in yourself," said the monk, who still struggles to tackle some English words and grammar.

On a recent morning, about a dozen students gathered in the shrine's small hall, decorated with Chinese murals and ornate golden figurines, to practice chi gong. Testini drifted among the participants, gently adjusting their positions.

"He can feel your aura and energy, your intensity and anxiety level," said Truong, as she observed what has become a familiar ritual. "Just by looking at a person's facial expression, he can see what kind of stress they have inside."

The breathing exercises and positive thinking Testini teaches help to relieve that stress, said Gene Cantamessa, who attends the temple five days a week.

Cantamessa, who said he is "pushing 70," is among the temple's longtime members, whose ages range from 2 to 80. Some are novices to the exercises and meditation; others have years of experience. Several work in the film industry and use the Sherman Oaks shrine to escape from the Hollywood hustle.

"I find the meditation very good," said Cantamessa, a retired production sound mixer. "I like the experience of concentrating … the peace of mind. I feel like a different person when I'm in here."

"You find a sense of inner calm," actor Adrian Paul, 50, said of his frequent attendance at the temple. "It allows you to enter another world, which centers you. Shaolin is what ballet is to dance. It's the foundation that gives you the ability to do what you want to do, better."

Rosie DiPrima said she got interested in the temple after observing her children, aged 7 and 10, participate in a martial arts class.

"After a week of watching, I started participating," said DiPrima, 37, a movie industry chef. "It's completely changed my life."

wenshu
06-21-2010, 01:29 PM
"Although there are several Shaolin schools in Los Angeles, only the Sherman Oaks shrine is listed on the official website of China's Shaolin Temple, where it is described as 'the first official branch organization in North America.'"

um, no.

http://www.shaolin.org.cn/templates/EN_T_new_list/index.aspx?nodeid=572

The Sherman Oaks school is not affiliated with Songshan.

As for Shi Yan Fan, his performance starts about 1:05, judge for yourselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPuDYBhhgFI

The jieba ceremony does not an ordination make.

LFJ
06-21-2010, 01:55 PM
"Although there are several Shaolin schools in Los Angeles, only the Sherman Oaks shrine is listed on the official website of China's Shaolin Temple, where it is described as 'the first official branch organization in North America.'"

um, no.

http://www.shaolin.org.cn/templates/EN_T_new_list/index.aspx?nodeid=572

Shaolin Temple Cultural Center LA is listed in the "overseas cultural center" section.

The Sherman Oaks school is not affiliated with Songshan.

Shaolin Temple Los Angeles is listed in the "sub-temples" section.

http://www.shaolin.org.cn/templates/EN_T_new_list/index.aspx?nodeid=326

http://www.shaolin.org.cn/templates/EN_T_new_list/index.aspx?nodeid=326&page=ContentPage&contentid=2082

The jieba ceremony does not an ordination make.

Not in itself, but what are you trying to say?

wenshu
06-21-2010, 02:28 PM
The sub temple and cultural center sections are referring to the same thing; The Shaolin Temple Cultural Center.

I believe he is misrepresenting himself as a Shaolin warrior monk.

LFJ
06-21-2010, 02:42 PM
The sub temple and cultural center sections are referring to the same thing; The Shaolin Temple Cultural Center.

that doesnt seem to make any sense.

those listed in the overseas cultural centers section are not found on the sub-temples section, nor vice-versa.

one is also called "Shaolin Temple Cultural Center LA", as it is.

and the other is called "Shaolin Temple Los Angeles", as it is.

I believe he is misrepresenting himself as a Shaolin warrior monk.

based on what?

RenDaHai
06-21-2010, 06:44 PM
Shi Yan Fan the only Western (or non-Chinese) Shaolin Warrior Monk to be ordained into the tradition (the Jieba Ceremony).

Ahahah, Never trust anyone who says that. I know at least 12 people personally who make that claim and another load I have heard of. Hell I've done the whole ceremony several times, with monks who were in Shaolin in the 60's and 70's and consider themselves above the authority of the new abbott when it comes to shaolin lineage (something most old/good masters agree on). I had to do it just to train with one of them....

Ni bu neng chi roe, neng chi bao? Neng Chiiiiiiiiiiii.

The only western guy who can claim that he is a shaolin monk is a guy called Shan Li who has been here in shaolin 13 years, and has actually left home and lives the ascetic lifestyle. But he doesn't claim to be a shaolin monk. Its a really Douchebag thing to do.

TenTigers
06-21-2010, 07:59 PM
hmmm...Southern Lion Dance, two handed "Bagua dao", a girl doing Lien Bo Ch'uan, a guy doing the same three moves with the dan-dao..looks like a hodgepodge taken frm videos...:rolleyes:

GeneChing
06-29-2010, 09:22 AM
For the record (http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/26/news/la-a4-correx-20100626)
June 26, 2010

Shaolin Temple: An article in the June 19 LATExtra section about the Shaolin Buddhist Temple in Sherman Oaks said that it was the only temple in Los Angeles listed on the official website of the Shaolin Temple in China and that the website described it as "the first official branch organization in North America." However, there is another Southern California temple listed on the site, in Temple City. A representative of the Shaolin Temple in China confirmed that the Sherman Oaks temple is recognized by the official temple in China, but said that the temple in China does not want to recognize "any temple as the first in North America."
I'm changing the title of this thread from "Is YanFei from the new issue the same dude..." to "Yanfan (Franco Testini)" as my coach is named Yan Fei and I don't want there to be any confusion. It makes MK's initial post a little odd, but if readers get this far, they'll understand it.

ghostexorcist
06-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Ahahah, Never trust anyone who says that. I know at least 12 people personally who make that claim and another load I have heard of. Hell I've done the whole ceremony several times, with monks who were in Shaolin in the 60's and 70's and consider themselves above the authority of the new abbott when it comes to shaolin lineage (something most old/good masters agree on). I had to do it just to train with one of them....

Ni bu neng chi roe, neng chi bao? Neng Chiiiiiiiiiiii.

The only western guy who can claim that he is a shaolin monk is a guy called Shan Li who has been here in shaolin 13 years, and has actually left home and lives the ascetic lifestyle. But he doesn't claim to be a shaolin monk. Its a really Douchebag thing to do.
There is a brief video documentary of him receiving the Jieba on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPqF08tNjsw

The whole event was attended by Chinese government officials no less. I think its a slap to the face of Buddhism for Shaolin to allow such a thing to happen. I'm an atheist, but I respect all religions. Shaolin obviously had ulterior motives, like trying to attract more westerners to the temple so they would shell out big bucks to learn kung fu. If the guy truly wanted to be a Buddhist monk, he could have gone to any number of places to gain his ordination. I'm sure there are thousands of westerners so caught up in "Shaolin culture" that they would love to become monks. I doubt religion has anything to do with it. Its all about Kung fu and that is sad.

The person who posted the video is not allowing any nasty comments (such as the one I left).

David Jamieson
06-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Apparently the divisions go like this:

Religious Monk
Warrior Monk
Fake Monk
and
Douchebag Monk (these are they who aren't really monks and are being douchebags about it.)

that's certainly clear enough for me! :p

taai gihk yahn
06-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Apparently the divisions go like this:

Religious Monk
Warrior Monk
Fake Monk
and
Douchebag Monk (these are they who aren't really monks and are being douchebags about it.)

that's certainly clear enough for me! :p
so where does Shawn Liu fit into that hierarchy? :eek::eek::eek:

wenshu
06-29-2010, 02:17 PM
The whole event was attended by Chinese government officials no less.
I think its a slap to the face of Buddhism for Shaolin to allow such a thing to happen.

This may amount to nothing more than wild speculation on my part, but it appears likely to me that this was a taking refuge ceremony and not an ordination, or maybe even a taking of the bodhisattva precepts. I'm pretty sure anybody can show up, pay a fee, buy some robes and take part. In fact I think there is another such mass ceremony taking place soon or has already taken place. I'm sure shaolin is not the only temple that practices this.

I don't think Buddhism cares if government officials attend ceremonies or laowai take and uphold precepts. ;)

I'm an atheist, but I respect all religions. Shaolin obviously had ulterior motives, like trying to attract more westerners to the temple so they would shell out big bucks to learn kung fu.

Yeah, cause Shaolin Si really needs the $$!:rolleyes:

If the guy truly wanted to be a Buddhist monk, he could have gone to any number of places to gain his ordination. I'm sure there are thousands of westerners so caught up in "Shaolin culture" that they would love to become monks. I doubt religion has anything to do with it. Its all about Kung fu and that is sad.

There is definitely a western fetishization of Shaolin monkhood at work here; the tendency to mystify the life of a monk, shaolin or otherwise conveniently disregards the extreme hardships of leaving home. Karmic reconciliation through means of enduring hardships is no weekend retreat.

I myself have taken refuge, follow the five precepts and practice traditional shaolin culture, but I know better then to lie to myself by thinking i could withstand for one day the hardships of life as a Shaolin monk. I probably wouldn't make it a day in chan monastery without the gong fu.

Shaolindynasty
06-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Shaolin obviously had ulterior motives, like trying to attract more westerners to the temple so they would shell out big bucks to learn kung fu.

Except that whenyou go there to train you never make make your payment to "the shaolin temple"

LFJ
06-29-2010, 04:20 PM
If the guy truly wanted to be a Buddhist monk, he could have gone to any number of places to gain his ordination.

he was apparently ordained at chi ri monastery nearby kyung ju in south korea at the age of 21.

http://www.shaolintemplela.org/pages/shiyanfan_biography.php (http://www.shaolintemplela.org/pages/shiyanfan_biography.php)

LFJ
06-29-2010, 05:05 PM
This may amount to nothing more than wild speculation on my part, but it appears likely to me that this was a taking refuge ceremony and not an ordination, or maybe even a taking of the bodhisattva precepts. I'm pretty sure anybody can show up, pay a fee, buy some robes and take part. In fact I think there is another such mass ceremony taking place soon or has already taken place. I'm sure shaolin is not the only temple that practices this.

jieba means 'precepts scars', and are taken on the head only by the fully ordained in chinese monasticism as a part of taking bodhisattva precepts. chinese monasticism is a two-part ordination combining the bhikshu/ni upasampada and bodhisattva precepts- making one a bodhisattva bhikshu/ni (bodhisattva monk/nun). if laity receive precept scars it is usually done on the arm or wrist.

the ceremonies that took place recently were a full ordination ceremony and a bodhisattva precepts transmission ceremony for laity. these ceremonies were held at the site of shaolin monastery, but conducted and participated in by followers from all over.

David Jamieson
06-30-2010, 06:53 AM
so where does Shawn Liu fit into that hierarchy? :eek::eek::eek:

Who's Shawn Liu?

Wong Ying Home
07-08-2010, 12:56 PM
www.fightschool.co.uk

Here is another genuine shaolin warrior monk..one of only handfull westerners to become fully ordained :rolleyes:

GeneChing
07-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Le claims he's part of the Shaolin Warrior Monk Reserve Team
Le Fujun & Shaolin Chan City (http://www.shaolinchancity.com/masters.html)

Should we change the title of this thread to non-Chinese warrior monks? ;) There are more. I'd just have to dig them up.

We've discussed Matthew Ahmet a little already on the Shaolin on Superstars of Dance thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52634).

LFJ
07-08-2010, 03:56 PM
the Shaolin Warrior Monk Reserve Team

that is the name of master deyang's school in english, "wuseng houbeidui", where members are trained in traditional wugong and chan, as warrior monks would. some of his students after personal training and study have then taken discipleship under him.

but the "warrior monk reserve team" is not a class of monk that master deyang initiated, but a preparatory training base which he originally started in the mid-90's with ven. shi suxi to develop secular students external to the monastery, hence the name. so to be a member does not mean one has taken any level of ordination, as you can see.

GeneChing
07-09-2010, 09:16 AM
...but most people don't. The very fact that you need to explain it demonstrates how it can be misleading. It all falls back on the wuseng class, which is poorly defined in the public eye. They just see a bald robed guy and read 'Shaolin monk'.

Another person of interest here would be Juan Carlos Aguilar, aka Huang Aguilar. Here's his site - www.shaolinmonastery.org (http://www.shaolinmonastery.org/) - nice web addy, eh? Juan and I had some Shaolin adventures together back in the mid '90s. He put out a DVD - Shaolin Kung Fu Encyclopedia (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shaolin-Encyclopedia-Vol-1-Training-Forms/dp/B002811PEO) - here's a quote from the sell text:
In this encyclopedia, Juan Carlos Aguilar, the only Western monk recognized by the Temple and with the approval of the unveils the true Shaolin Kung fu.

LFJ
07-09-2010, 01:04 PM
The very fact that you need to explain it

its explained on that same page, and elsewhere on the site, which means the reader made assumptions after having failed to actually take care in understanding what they were reading.

same thing happens with understanding what wuseng are, when people judge them by the standards of fully ordained monks, just because "monk" is part of the term "warrior monk", and they dress that way.

the fault is not of the wuseng, but belongs to those who judge without making an effort to understand the shaolin culture.

It all falls back on the wuseng class, which is poorly defined in the public eye. They just see a bald robed guy and read 'Shaolin monk'.

the fault here lies on those who make assumptions without proper familiarity of the culture. thats the major issue in the western world regarding shaolin- everyone has something to say, but few actually bother educating themselves on the topic.

you'll notice in this thread, when several clarifications concerning yanfan's legitimacy and sincerity were made, his critics suddenly disappeared....

so what was the point of dogging on him? just for the love of controversy?

i personally havent met yanfan and dont know much about him, whether what he says is accurate or not, but i think it is unfair to denounce someone without even bothering to look into their history as they state it.

like questioning the sincerity of his buddhist devotion because he hasnt ordained elsewhere besides shaolin, when in fact, he has, at a young age, as can be read clearly on his website.

it is also unfair to lump someone in with all the people making large claims of monkhood, when nowhere have they claimed any level of ordination or even a generation name.

like those for example;

In this encyclopedia, Juan Carlos Aguilar, the only Western monk recognized by the Temple and with the approval of the unveils the true Shaolin Kung fu.

wenshu
07-09-2010, 04:05 PM
you'll notice in this thread, when several clarifications concerning yanfan's legitimacy and sincerity were made, his critics suddenly disappeared....

i personally havent met yanfan and dont know much about him, whether what he says is accurate or not, but i think it is unfair to denounce someone without even bothering to look into their history as they state it.

like questioning the sincerity of his buddhist devotion because he hasnt ordained elsewhere besides shaolin, when in fact, he has, at a young age, as can be read clearly on his website.

it is also unfair to lump someone in with all the people making large claims of monkhood, when nowhere have they claimed any level of ordination or even a generation name.

I still don't buy it. Granted it appears he was ordained as monk. However, having seen his gong fu and having spoken with people who were privy to his time at shaolin; he spent little time training there, certainly not enough to be considered a warrior monk (unless Shaolin has lowered their standards dramatically).

I would expect such a diligent researcher as yourself to look beyond

their history as they state it.
to have noticed the discrepancies in his stated timeline.

I'm only indirectly calling into question his Buddhist devotion insofar as he is seemingly misrepresenting himself for fame and/or profit.

This is no love of controversy, rather a response to what are genuinely felt to be misleading claims made in an article in a major metropolitan publication.

On a side note, I just returned from a breif visit to Shaolin Si and saw that there are in fact foreigners training at the temple proper (a few Ukranian nationals and a German I believe), as to their level of ordination the Chan monk I discussed it with was unsure. He mentioned that they are training Gong Fu, Chan and massage

LFJ
07-09-2010, 07:16 PM
wenshu,

i was mainly referring to ghostexorcist when he said:

If the guy truly wanted to be a Buddhist monk, he could have gone to any number of places to gain his ordination.

this appears to be denouncing the guy without a solid case, and without even really attempting to look into it. because if you read his website he writes of a korean ordination in his early 20's. this is taken at his word, but still.

you have of course made a much better case, which doesnt appear to just be for the sake of controversy.

I would expect such a diligent researcher as yourself to look beyond

to have noticed the discrepancies in his stated timeline.

I'm only indirectly calling into question his Buddhist devotion insofar as he is seemingly misrepresenting himself for fame and/or profit.

This is no love of controversy, rather a response to what are genuinely felt to be misleading claims made in an article in a major metropolitan publication.

right, i'm sure there's much more to it than meets the eye. like i said, i'm not really in a position to know any of the details. and honestly i'm not particularly interested to do a deep investigation of his situation. i dont find it necessary.

if you understand shaolin culture, you wouldnt need to question anyone's claims. because they would become glaringly obvious.

i just wish more people interested in shaolin would take the time to study the culture, and not speak on politics if just for the sake of controversy. all that serves is to damage each other, and fill the air with more air.

but i notice that much of shaolin culture is inaccessible to the western world because they dont speak enough chinese - for one - and because a lot of it is not available in english as of yet. not just shaolin but buddhism, and chinese buddhism in particular, is largely in its infancy or non-existent in the west. many important chinese sources have yet to be translated or even touched by westerners.

thats part of the reason i started sharing some culture articles a couple years back. kind of anonymously. just to make it available. it was only when another shaolin disciple of master deyang suggested and urged i start teaching here. and when master deyang approved i had to open up a bit.

some people emailed me saying they felt it was like one of the "highlights in supporting and spreading the shaolin 'philosophy' without any other purpose than 'supporting and spreading the shaolin philosophy' has now been put in line with those who have schools and businesses"...

but its kind of necessary. everyone has their reasons and aims for being involved in shaolin, and aspirations for what they wish to do with it. its a natural evolution.

give shaolin and buddhism another hundred years or so in the west. it will be interesting to see what becomes of it.

wenshu
07-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks for making that clear. I was somewhat perplexed when I saw this thread was still active after about a week or so. Don't really want to continue beating a dead horse.

I'm in complete agreement with you regarding the confusion surrounding Shaolin. The language is the door to the culture; Shaolin, Buddhist or otherwise.

Unfortunately I cannot help myself but get caught up in the fog of petty politics on occasion, especially when it is so close to home. But if I was perfect what would I have to cultivate?

ghostexorcist
07-11-2010, 04:49 AM
You'll notice in this thread, when several clarifications concerning yanfan's legitimacy and sincerity were made, his critics suddenly disappeared....

i[...]

wenshu,

i was mainly referring to ghostexorcist [...]

his appears to be denouncing the guy without a solid case, and without even really attempting to look into it. because if you read his website he writes of a korean ordination in his early 20's. this is taken at his word, but still.

you have of course made a much better case, which doesnt appear to just be for the sake of controversy.
I never disappeared, I just don't live on the forum like a lot of people do. I think the fact that I've been a member for almost 4 years and I only have 300 sum posts shows that. Work, school, and life in general keeps me pretty busy. I drop by every few days or say just to see if anything interesting has been posted.

My points were not made for the "love of controversy". That sounds like something only a troll would do. I just questioned whether the entire situation was kosher or not. I mean a westerner receiving the Jieba and then being made the abbot of the LA Shaolin temple just seemed fishy to me at the time. Because he took his vows in Korea, I'll concede he might actually be a devout Buddhist, but the whole Shaolin aspect seems like a way of making money.

LFJ
07-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Because he took his vows in Korea, I'll concede he might actually be a devout Buddhist, but the whole Shaolin aspect seems like a way of making money.

a lot of people seem to have this sort of view - and i'm not saying that you necessarily do - that if someone is involved with shaolin, then they must not be sincere buddhists, that its just for the recognition, martial arts, or something. as if shaolin cannot be taken seriously as a buddhist monastery and a tradition for dharma practice.

its unfair to assume that one cannot be involved in shaolin and be taken seriously as a buddhist practitioner. a lot of that has to do with the image of recent events and the direction of the monastery as of late, and those who take advantage of the name, but that people come to shaolin for whatever reason means they have some karmic connection with it, which predates any sort of modern business approach to spreading the tradition.

i remember master deyang speaking to me of three wishes he has for shaolin in the world. one was for the dissolving of this image of shaolin monks being uncultured martial artists who cannot be taken seriously as buddhist monks, and that martial arts cannot be a vehicle for dharma practice.

shortly after this conversation is when i began work on making shaolin culture articles easily available in english. the latest one is on "shaolin warrior ethics (http://shaolinchancity.blogspot.com/2010/04/shaolin-warrior-ethics-chin-shaolin.html)", which is strongly influenced by traditional buddhist literature.

GeneChing
07-12-2010, 09:53 AM
LFJ, point taken on lumping Yanfan in 'with all the people making large claims of monkhood' and recant that. Those others can warrant their own threads someday perhaps.

However, I don't think it controversial for controversy's sake. Shaolin has a lot of controversy. It always has. To not engage that is to be mindless and that flies in the face of Shaolin's fundamental philosophy of mindfulness.

I've met Yanfan. We met at Songshan Shaolin Day (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53389) last year. We broke his story in The First American Branded at Shaolin Temple By Melissa Leon-Guerrero Do in our November/December Shaolin Special 2007 issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=729). I think being the first Westerner to get jieba at Shaolin is pretty **** cool. I wish it had been me. Nevertheless, Yanfan's controversy will continue, as it will for every one who steps up to claim that 'first Western Shaolin monk' title. This is exactly as it should be. That's a title that really needs to be earned.

sha0lin1
07-13-2010, 05:53 AM
Controversy, you want controversy, well I claim to be the first western Shaolin Grand Puba. How's that for controversy. And yes I practice kungfu in my rather large blue fur hat.

GeneChing
07-13-2010, 09:03 AM
I believe you are misrepresenting yourself as a Shaolin Grand Puba.

richard sloan
07-13-2010, 11:35 PM
...but the whole Shaolin aspect seems like a way of making money.

THAT always gives me a chuckle.

what is the guy driving? he pushing a range or something? a fat pad overlooking the valley or whatever the hell prime LA real estate is all about?

We all know Gene's frakking caking over Shaolin, just look at his blinged out grills, lohan custom lexus on 22s, and all the silk pjs he's got.

You start Shaolin, and you instantly cake!!!

GeneChing
07-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Yea, I'm just happy I could afford new brakes on my Honda Fit today. The book sales helped. (http://www.amazon.com/Shaolin-Trips-Gene-Ching/dp/1424308976/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276188031&sr=1-1)

If I was the Shaolin Grand Puba, I'd be rocking the phat jade bling and be carried in on a palanquin by a bevy of nacho (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37625) ninjettes (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35945). If only I was the Shaolin Grand Puba....

sha0lin1
07-16-2010, 05:45 AM
Yah, well you're not, I am, there can only be one. You can, however, join the Bedrock sect and become one of my minions. Now that I have met you, you seem cool enough. Tell me Gene do you have fur robes you can wear?

wenshu
07-16-2010, 06:22 AM
I believe you are misrepresenting yourself as a Shaolin Grand Puba.

Anyone with even a cursory knowledge of shaolin traditions knows that the Shaolin Grand Pubas receive the jie ba on their ass cheeks.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

richard sloan
07-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Anyone with even a cursory knowledge of shaolin traditions knows that the Shaolin Grand Pubas receive the jie ba on their ass cheeks.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

yeah, and now they come in the pattern of a $ sign, just so you know it's all about the money!

sha0lin1
07-20-2010, 06:06 AM
No, no, no, it's all about training hard so you get to be the bearer of the blue fur hat.

GeneChing
07-20-2010, 09:32 AM
wenshu, you're going the wrong direction with that post. Do not bait sha0lin1 into posting pics of his cheeks. :mad:

sha0lin1
07-21-2010, 05:58 AM
That is right, you just might get what you asked for.

Lokhopkuen
08-05-2010, 06:06 AM
Some notes on Shi Yan Fan:
I was recently introduced to Shi Yan Fan and my initial impression was that of a humble, sincerer practitioner.

Impressed by his warmth and openness I began to attend their daily morning meditation and prayer.

It was very refreshing for a change to follow along and just soak up the lesson rather than "being the lesson". I went there with no expectation and found my self delighted by a sense of centered, peaceful wellbeing after each experience.

The class begins with an extended "dharma walk" followed by about 30 minutes of seated meditation, followed by chi gung in eight sequences (Yi Gin Ching or Baduan Jin) after which I felt reborn.

They have a lot of RULES there and his assistants began to constantly correct me. I find that they are so steeped in protocol and ceremony that I get the feeling of being constantly on the verge of "offending the family and the Shaolin temple." Such a long list of rules about "what to say" and "what not to say" it seriously reeks of catching a series of stern looks from your Grand Ma and who the hell wants or needs to feel uncomfortable while pursuing a form of self cultivation? I took a break a few times in an attempt to gain new perspective but the more familiar I've become the more free came various valid yet pettily annoying corrections and criticism.

Would it were I were younger and less informed?

I ended with the feeling that for all of the potential benefit I might gain from consistent attendance there, those benefits would be completely offset by my level of discomfort attempting to adhere to their rules and regulation sets.
The school is great, I need some work.....

GeneChing
03-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Stacey Nemour
Stacey Nemour is a black belt in Kung Fu, and a highly respected martial artist
Posted: March 17, 2011 02:44 PM
Should Shaolin Monks Be Asian? Just Ask Abbot Shi Yan Fan of Shaolin Temple Los Angeles (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stacey-nemour/shi-yan-fan-shaolin-temple_b_833281.html)

Should Shaolin monks only be Asian? Can a Westerner ascend to the exalted level of an abbot? Venerable Abbot Shi Yan Fan of Shaolin Temple Los Angeles can answer that. He became the first of only 43 monks in the world to receive the ancient Jieba branding marks at Shaolin Temple, China in 2007, and he is Italian!

Born in Brindisi, Italy, Franco Testini began his study of martial arts at the age of seven. He explains that when he was young, Shaolin training was a secret in the communist-dominated country. Franco loved action, and when his older brother gave him an old sketch manual about Shaolin Qi Energy, he realized that he had in his possession something special. Coming from a poor family of 10, Franco challenged other children in the neighborhood to martial arts contests in order to bring money and food home to help support the family. He was a natural, and winning competitions came easily.

The manual was filled with simple Chinese brush sketches of martial arts stances and movements. It promised that by practicing this discipline, you could gain strength, learn self-defense, have longevity, develop healing powers and even become super-human. Fascinated by the book, he took it everywhere with him and constantly studied the movements. The book explained that the process starts through connecting with nature. This was the perfect opportunity for Franco to apply the philosophy of nature to his everyday life, for at the time he was a young shepherd on his cousin's farm. From sunrise to sunset, Franco spent his day in the mountains with a flock of about 200 sheep. As the sheep grazed, Franco mimicked the movements in the book, teaching himself the basics of martial arts. Even though the book was written in Italian, Franco was still unsure what the captions under the sketches meant. It was his cousin who explained to him that the basic principle was that with this training, a human being is capable of powerful and amazing things.

After two years of practicing from the book, Franco began to feel more strength, both mentally and physically. During that time Franco and his cousin would also visit the nearby military base to give fresh cheeses and milk to the soldiers. That was when he was first introduced to a martial monk named Kim Wong Feng from Chi Ri temple in South Korea. Kim Wong Feng saw great potential in Franco and accepted him as his student, thus beginning his official martial arts training at age nine.

Franco dedicated much of his time training with his master. Eventually, he left home to begin competing in tournaments. By the age of 19, Franco had won many titles but also became aware of the emptiness of the senseless fighting. He noticed that many bets were placed on him to win fights, but he never saw any of the winnings that he fought for. Franco realized that this was not the lifestyle that he envisioned. With so much anger and resentment he harbored inside, his master guided him to enter the gates of Chi Ri temple to change his life. After two years and three months of living a monastic life in South Korea, Franco was alerted of his father's deteriorating health. One month after Franco left the temple to go back to Italy, his father passed away.

After a few years of trying to reestablish his life in Italy, he decided to set out on an adventure to America. In 1994 Franco came to Los Angeles to spread Buddhism and the practice of Shaolin medicine. He arrived with faith and excitement over his unfolding adventure the day after the Northridge earthquake. He had no money, no contacts, no transportation and spoke no English. He slept in abandoned cars, on the floor close to a gas station and even on the sands of Redondo Beach. Franco would continue to train every day, and passersby would stop to watch him. People stood entranced just watching his body flow with power and elegance. He welcomed everyone to join him, and eventually people started to give him donations for the training. Slowly, his clientele grew. Soon Franco and his students started training in various parks, community centers and dance studios.

By 2004 Franco went to pay his respects to the temple in China and trained with the monks. Abbot Shi Yongxin was so pleased with Franco's dedication and history that the following year, the monks arranged a ceremony for Franco to become a disciple of the abbot and officially named him Shi Yan Fan, which means "Powerful Sky." Shi Yan Fan also received official permission from the abbot to open Shaolin Temple Los Angeles. He chose Ventura Boulevard in Sherman Oaks because Ventura, translated from Italian, means "adventure," and that is how he has viewed his entire life journey.

Then, in 2007, the Chinese government allowed the partial lifting of a 300-year-old ban of an ancient ceremony at the Northern Shaolin Temple. Shi Yan Fan was requested by the Chinese government to participate in the ancient, one-month-long ceremony.

Out of 800 monks who attended the ceremony, only 100 monks were schedule to receive "Jieba," a ritual that is extremely painful because nine sticks of incense are affixed to the top of the head with a paste. Then they light the incense and let it burn for five minutes. The last two minutes are the most excruciating because the fire burns down into the scalp. Each of the resulting burn marks represents one of the fundamental rules of conduct: remain celibate, don't lie, don't steal, don't drink, don't use drugs, don't eat meat, don't kill animals, and don't judge others. Some of the monks fainted, while others cried or ran out trying to leave because they could not go through with the Jieba. Out of the 100 monks chosen to receive the marks, only 43 actually went on to being branded. Shi Yan Fan was chosen by the abbot to be the first monk branded in the ceremony. Not only was he the first to be branded in 300 years, but he was also the first non-Asian to receive this honor at Shaolin Temple. Abbot Shi Yongxin wanted to open its gates to the rest of the world by showing that race does not matter and that Shaolin is for all to receive its unlimited benefits.

Now back in Sherman Oaks, Calif. Shifu Shi Yan Fan continues to spread the message of Shaolin and Chan Buddhism. Shaolin Temple Los Angeles welcomes all ages, nationalities, athletic abilities and genders. Shifu Shi Yan Fan and his students all helped build the temple from the ground up. Volunteers donated their time and talents to help replicate the ancient warrior paintings from the walls of the original Shaolin Temple in China. A Buddha alter was also built to pay respects to the ancient culture. Shaolin Temple Los Angeles offers more than just martial arts training. Every day they Dharma walk for meditation as the monks do in China. Authentic forms of Qi Gong and Tai Chi are also offered, as well as traditional Shaolin tea and philosophy sessions. Shifu Yan Fan wanted a place where people can train and get a small taste of what the 1,500-year-old Shaolin Temple is like.

Currently, Shifu Shi Yan Fan and the members of Shaolin Temple Los Angeles are looking to expand its facility and erect a replica of the famous Shaolin Temple on a grander scale. Abbot Shi Yongxin has approved the project. Shifu Shi Yan Fan envisions it as becoming a majestic Los Angeles landmark for travelers all over the world to visit. It will be built up in the hills of Los Angeles above Ventura Boulevard.

Shi Yan Fan's life mission now is to continue to spread the teachings of Shaolin. He has stressed to me the importance of maintaining the integrity and ancient traditions of Shaolin by teaching his students every aspect: Meditation, Qi Gong, Tai Chi, martial arts, tea and philosophy, Chan Buddhism and much more.

There is also a biopic in development on Shi Yan Fan's life story, with the working title "Heart of Shaolin."
Author Stacey Nemour is featured Stretching for Any Age By Greg Lynch Jr. in our March/April 2011 issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=944). We just posted a video that accompanies this article - see Stretching with Stacey Nemour (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ3F2SE32IA)

mig
03-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Author Stacey Nemour is featured Stretching for Any Age By Greg Lynch Jr. in our March/April 2011 issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=944). We just posted a video that accompanies this article - see Stretching with Stacey Nemour (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ3F2SE32IA)

I went to the opening of this small dojo and I had the impression this guy didn't speak Mandarin chinese (putonghua) or a dialect (fangyan) so how did he learn, sign language?

go figure!!

bawang
03-18-2011, 03:36 AM
i saw his youtube video promotion, the guy do forms ok but his students are horrible

wenshu
03-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Stacey Nemour is a black belt in Kung Fu

i are have confuse

GeneChing
04-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Shaolin Kung Fu Training and Chan Buddhism: An interview with Abbot Shi Yan Fan (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=958) by Stacey Nemour in honor of our Shaolin Special 2011 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1088339).

Wildwoo
05-28-2011, 08:43 AM
i are have confuse

Brother for a self professed student of Shaolin you come off very negatively combative in many of your postings here:rolleyes:

1. Right understanding ?
2. Right intention ?
3. Right speech ?
4. Right action ?
5. Right livelihood ?
6. Right effort ?
7. Right mindfulness?
8. Right concentration?
9. Superior right knowledge?
10. Superior right liberation?

I've had the chance to meet Shi Yan Fan an I found him to be a very pure spirit embodying the above principles of the eight fold path of righteousness. I've seen "shaolin monks" that have stronger performance in their forms than he displays yet have not on tenth of his spiritual wherewithal. He is a good sincerer teacher with a deep knowledge of Chi Gongs, combat application, Shaolin spiritual rituals and practices.

I probably should not mention this here but :rolleyes::rolleyes: I happened to be at his school on a day when Shi Yan Xu and couple of other "shaolin monks" paid a social call all the while behaving like gangsters wearing robes of "monks". I observed them behaving disrespectfully arrogant, condescending and at time physically intimidating:rolleyes:
Shi Yan Fan never rose to any of it. I found it to be an interesting comparative analysis of who learned what during their time at Shaolin disneyland LOL!

wenshu
05-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Brother for a self professed student of Shaolin you come off very negatively combative in many of your postings here:rolleyes:
Fair enough. I am a buddhist. I never said I wasn't an a$$hole. Oftentimes to myself!

1. Right understanding ?
2. Right intention ?
3. Right speech ?
4. Right action ?
5. Right livelihood ?
6. Right effort ?
7. Right mindfulness?
8. Right concentration?
9. Superior right knowledge?
10. Superior right liberation?

Whereas your position of righteous moral indignation is not in any way a reflection of your own ego?

I've had the chance to meet Shi Yan Fan an I found him to be a very pure spirit embodying the above principles of the eight fold path of righteousness. I've seen "shaolin monks" that have stronger performance in their forms than he displays yet have not on tenth of his spiritual wherewithal. He is a good sincerer teacher with a deep knowledge of Chi Gongs, combat application, Shaolin spiritual rituals and practices.

I probably should not mention this here but :rolleyes::rolleyes: I happened to be at his school on a day when Shi Yan Xu and couple of other "shaolin monks" paid a social call all the while behaving like gangsters wearing robes of "monks". I observed them behaving disrespectfully arrogant, condescending and at time physically intimidating:rolleyes:
Shi Yan Fan never rose to any of it. I found it to be an interesting comparative analysis of who learned what during their time at Shaolin disneyland LOL!

So?

Do you have anything more substantive than your own moral certitude, arbitrary definitions of spirituality and codes of conduct?

No?

Ok, then I am going to go back to being diplomatic about this nonsense.

Speaking of which, I was expressing confusion about what exactly a black belt in kung fu is. Next time please have the common courtesy to quote something actually pertinent to the topic you intend to scold someone about.

bawang
05-28-2011, 12:07 PM
shi yan fan is not better or worse than other shaolin athletes. they all perform and teach the exact same sh1t, with exactly the same students. flipping around with tinfoil swords and playing cheesy music.

wenshu
05-28-2011, 02:24 PM
The music, oh god the music.

I'm so embarrassed for myself sometimes.

Wildwoo
05-29-2011, 07:42 AM
He he he he! I do not follow any of these codes I'm not a buddhist and I have a massive ego which I attempt not to parade here:D

Fair enough. I am a buddhist. I never said I wasn't an a$$hole. Oftentimes to myself!

Whereas your position of righteous moral indignation is not in any way a reflection of your own ego?

So?

Do you have anything more substantive than your own moral certitude, arbitrary definitions of spirituality and codes of conduct?

No?

Ok, then I am going to go back to being diplomatic about this nonsense.

Speaking of which, I was expressing confusion about what exactly a black belt in kung fu is. Next time please have the common courtesy to quote something actually pertinent to the topic you intend to scold someone about.

ShaolinDiva
05-31-2011, 08:28 AM

I'm also buddhist and a biatch as well. must be hormones for me :eek:

The truth is that true shaolin warrior monks lived at the Shaolin Temple since they were kids. They had to eat "bitter" to survive. They endured a lot of abuse (but that's Shaolin and very chinese ) to become what they are today- true masters of Shaolin Kung Fu with heavy Buddhist beliefs instilled in them. All of their teachings were in Chinese and not one word of English either. Their qi field is vast. You can feel them miles if you know how to.

They just do not perform tricks like Wushu guys with tinfoil... In order to understand any of them, you should meet and get to know them well before making any judgment. They have a lot of power in their one finger and all they eat are vegetables, fungi and soy . everyday and all day long. I never knew that tofu and mushrooms can give you that type of strength. I should have listened to my momma more when i was younger! :rolleyes:

From what I understand, Yan Fan was there for a coupla years as an adult. Does he actually speak Chinese? or even understand it?

JamesC
05-31-2011, 08:31 AM

The truth is that true shaolin warrior monks lived at the Shaolin Temple since they were kids. They had to eat "bitter" to survive. They endured a lot of abuse (but that's Shaolin and very chinese ) to become what they are today- true masters of Shaolin Kung Fu with heavy Buddhist beliefs instilled in them. All of their teachings were in Chinese and not one word of English either. Their qi field is vast. You can feel them miles if you know how to.

They just do not perform tricks like Wushu guys with tinfoil... In order to understand any of them, you should meet and get to know them well before making any judgment. They have a lot of power in their one finger and all they eat are vegetables, fungi and soy . everyday and all day long. I never knew that tofu and mushrooms can give you that type of strength. I should have listened to my momma more when i was younger! :rolleyes:

From what I understand, Yan Fan was there for a coupla years as an adult. Does he actually speak Chinese? or even understand it?

Oh great. Another LARPer that thinks kung fu translates to "Wizards and awshum ninja majeek!"

:rolleyes:

ShaolinDiva
05-31-2011, 08:39 AM
Oh great. Another LARPer that thinks kung fu translates to "Wizards and awshum ninja majeek!"

:rolleyes:

From your posting, I can see you have never met a true Shaolin monk from China. I dare you to come to the temple and actually meet one before you make your remarks. They aren't Japanese either... Ninjas are... Get your asian cultures straight before you post, thank you very much. :cool: That remark alone tells me how ignorant you really are.

JamesC
05-31-2011, 08:42 AM
From your posting, I can see you have never met a true Shaolin monk from China. I dare you to come to the temple in Temple City, CA and actually meet one before you make your remarks. They aren't Japanese either... Ninjas are... Get your asian cultures straight before you post, thank you very much. :cool: That remark alone tells me how ignorant you are.

From your posts I can tell that you're either 12, or an idiot. Perhaps a combination of both.

ShaolinDiva
05-31-2011, 08:45 AM
From your posts I can tell that you're either 12, or an idiot. Perhaps a combination of both.

Nope , wrong answer! That's my daughter's age..... You lose again! :p Dude, do you even know any martial arts? or is it some type of fantasy for you?

JamesC
05-31-2011, 08:49 AM
Nope , wrong answer! That's my daughter's age..... You lose again! :p

Okay, so you're just an idiot.

Tell me, how exactly can you feel someone's "qi field" from miles away? You said you know how. Can you explain it to us?

And all that "power" they possess in their finger? Oh wow! I bet they can shoot lasers from their ass too!

Seriously, it is stupid **** like that that makes Chinese kung fu the laughing stock of the martial art world. You're not helping, only hindering.

JamesC
05-31-2011, 09:07 AM
Nope , wrong answer! That's my daughter's age..... You lose again! :p Dude, do you even know any martial arts? or is it some type of fantasy for you?

Says the person that claims to be able to feel someone's "qi field" from miles away. And that the "Super Elite Shaolin Monks" have so much power in ONE FINGER!!:eek:

Seriously, grow up.

ShaolinDiva
05-31-2011, 09:08 AM
Okay, so you're just an idiot.

Tell me, how exactly can you feel someone's "qi field" from miles away? You said you know how. Can you explain it to us?

And all that "power" they possess in their finger? Oh wow! I bet they can shoot lasers from their ass too!

Seriously, it is stupid **** like that that makes Chinese kung fu the laughing stock of the martial art world. You're not helping, only hindering.

AGAIN, you do not know what you're talking about so refrain from your childish comments.

In lament terms, acupuncture is based on qi circulation within the meridians and pressure points (324) in your body . A good acupuncturist can feel feel qi energetically on a person's body and they can feel a person's pain without ever touching them. Thus a person's sensitivity to energy (qi) is based on their own ability to sense it.

Shaolin monks cultivate their qi with their "dan tien" (google it) and their meridians with meditation and kung fu for decades thus their "qi field" is vast. Their diet is also an important aspect. Shaolin kung fu from Songshan Shaolin Temple , china isn't the same as regular joe blow southern shaolin. Different.

Energy is matter, isn't it? Well, so is qi. Qi , Ki (japanese) , reiki, plants, water, trees, earth, etc all the same shyt.... energy...

Do you want to put your money where your mouth is? Come to our temple (I'm sorry I do not belong to Yan fan's temple) and I'll prove it to you. Plus you get to meet me. ;) I look pretty good for an old lady in a dress, just ask Gene. AND i know shaolin kung fu...

JamesC
05-31-2011, 09:14 AM
AGAIN, you do not know what you're talking about so refrain from your childish comments.

In lament terms, acupuncture is based on qi circulation within the meridians and pressure points (324) your body . A good acupuncturist can feel feel qi energetically on a person's body and they can feel a person's pain without ever touching them. Thus a person's sensitivity to energy (qi) is based on their own ability to sense it.

Shaolin monks cultivate their qi with their "dan tien" (google it) and their meridians with meditation for decades thus their "qi field" is vast. Shaolin kung fu from Songshan Shaolin Temple , china isn't the same as regular joe blow southern shaolin. Different.

Energy is matter, isn't it? Well, so is qi. Qi , Ki (japanese) , reiki, plants, water, trees, earth, etc all the same shyt.... energy...

Do you want to put your money where your mouth is? Come to our temple (I'm sorry I do not belong to Yan fan's temple) and I'll prove it to you. Plus you get to meet me. ;) I look pretty good for an old lady in a dress, just ask Gene. AND i know shaolin kung fu...

You can name drop as much as you want. The fact that you claim to be able to feel people's "qi field" from miles away is enough to tell me you're living in your fantasy bubble where people can fly and iron palm can kill my ancestors.

You do realize that even the Shaolin Monks fight using San Da, right? How many of those guys do you see fighting with one finger? Oh wait, it must be because it is just TOO powerful, right? :rolleyes:

wenshu
05-31-2011, 09:43 AM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GkzIp67B66s/THTuzkBoFKI/AAAAAAAABd4/ZgFzubTAY94/s1600/face+palm.jpg

JamesC
05-31-2011, 09:47 AM
My sentiments exactly, Wenshu.

GeneChing
05-31-2011, 09:59 AM
Both Shi Yanxu and Shi Yanfan are participating in SANA (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60282). Nothing like a move towards Shaolin unification to split students apart. :rolleyes:

enoajnin
05-31-2011, 11:02 AM
Settle it the old fashioned way, at Tigerclaw's KungMagazine.com's tournament!!!

We'll see who has the better students.

mig
06-01-2011, 09:22 AM

Funny that nobody has answered this question. Today, you find more foreigners speaking fluently Chinese (putonghua or guoyu) and appear on TV shows and others and why you don't hear from those who are now monks speak the standard language of Mainland China.

bawang
06-01-2011, 09:29 AM
i am impressed by every single shaolin athlete, including franco testini. i am disappointed in their students.

wenshu
06-01-2011, 05:00 PM
i am impressed by every single shaolin athlete, including franco testini. i am disappointed in their students.

I agree. His Tai Chi is top notch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGIJXSGe5ww

cerebus
06-03-2011, 10:26 PM
I see Testini now makes no mention of his original instructor (at least not by his actual name). Testini was originally a student of Korean kung fu master Shin Dae Woung. There is much more that he also does not mention anymore.... :rolleyes:

bawang
06-04-2011, 02:04 PM
franco is a hard working immigrant and i support him.

Lokhopkuen
06-05-2011, 07:00 PM
The cool thing about Shi Yan Fan is meeting him.

He is a Buddha like presence empty of so many of the sad emotional nonsense we fill ourselves with, all the while radiating warm compassion and a sense that he wants to heal the world by the example of living as a pure spirit.

I've met quite a few "Shaolin Monks" many with chip on the shoulder attitude and disturbingly insecure but we are all a work in progress no?

This man exemplifies the living example of someone who has internalized the teachings and practices of Shaolin Chan Buddhism. I salute him for his sacrifices, triumphs and daily work of helping to make this world a better place one person at a time.

David Jamieson
06-06-2011, 05:15 AM
Hey, welcome back to the forum Lokhopkuen. :)

mig
06-06-2011, 11:08 AM
franco is a hard working immigrant and i support him.

I don't know what you call hard working immigrant, may be he's picking up fruits or vegetables in California or wishing dishes in restaurants in Los Angeles or hard worker in San Gabriel. At least those hard workers are not paid as much as those sitting saying amituofo!!!

wenshu
06-06-2011, 11:43 AM
http://shaolintemplela.org/www.shaolintemplela.org/Class_Schedule_files/shapeimage_33.png
I wish I could charge $150.00 per person to serve Tie Guan Yin for two hours.

This whole time I have been doing it for free!

Well, actually, it's more like a half hour to 45 mins.

It is very hard work though! The water is very hot.

David Jamieson
06-06-2011, 12:53 PM
You guys, your spirit and your physical form and how to care ad maintain them is a commodity.

people wander around looking for answers.

the answers are provided, rituals are given and you can have your peace of mind for a few hundred bucks and some of your time.

what's the difference if it's deepak chopra, wayne dyer or a shaolin monk taking your money and giving you the lesson you need? The lesson you obviously want and are seeking?

what is the standard for the person who offers peace and well being as their commodity.

And if you don't want that, don't seek it, don't need it, then it is likely you will see others as weak or silly who do seek it and you will see those who provide as charlatans and frauds despite any efforts they have put forth to dealing with other peoples desires.

Something for the needy and something for the needed. It's a symbiotic relationship most often. :)

p.s - the clothing? yeah, that's a bit cheesy. :)

Lokhopkuen
06-06-2011, 08:12 PM
http://shaolintemplela.org/www.shaolintemplela.org/Class_Schedule_files/shapeimage_33.png
I wish I could charge $150.00 per person to serve Tie Guan Yin for two hours.

This whole time I have been doing it for free!

Well, actually, it's more like a half hour to 45 mins.

It is very hard work though! The water is very hot.

He does a great tea ceremony and prolly has a bit more experience than you;)
One fitty is pricey though:rolleyes:

Lokhopkuen
06-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Hey, welcome back to the forum Lokhopkuen. :)

Like herpes I figured no one would notice until it began to itch and burn then be like WTF? :D

tThank you David

Wildwoo
06-07-2011, 01:28 AM
Hey;
You are back here yet again:eek: Brother you continuously astound me in so many ways:cool:

wenshu
06-07-2011, 06:51 AM
He does a great tea ceremony and prolly has a bit more experience than you;)
One fitty is pricey though:rolleyes:

Perhaps he does, perhaps he does.

可是我会说铁观音。

Owing to my curmudgeonly misanthropic personality most people don't want to spend any significant amount of time with me at once, let alone pay for it.

wenshu
06-07-2011, 11:12 AM
I do often talk to myself in public.

Lokhopkuen
06-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Lmaorotff!!!

GeneChing
09-02-2011, 10:59 AM
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/302087_276544185704813_100000477016578_1174578_391 3200_n.jpg

Apparently, Shi Yanfan is featured in the Sept 2011 FHM (http://www.fhm.com/). Gotta give up some props for that. :cool:

bawang
09-02-2011, 02:01 PM
i think franco pretty cool guy. he do forms and not afraid anything.

wenshu
09-02-2011, 02:29 PM
我听说他喜欢“吃豆腐”。

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-02-2011, 04:04 PM
"Hollywood has completely exaggerated the martial arts scene," added Cindy Truong, 32, a temple volunteer and event coordinator. "It's not all about Chinese people being thrown over chairs. The martial arts you see in the movies, that's Americanized. It's a very small part of Shaolin culture."

Martial arts is a very small part of Shaolin culture she says...really? Has she ever seen the vids of mass training going on in and around Shaolin?

GeneChing
09-30-2011, 09:12 AM
Shaolin Warrior Monk Shi Yan Fan Operates From an L.A. Storefront (http://blogs.laweekly.com/stylecouncil/2011/09/warrior_monk_shi_yan_fan_opera.php)
By Gendy Alimurung Thu., Sep. 29 2011 at 9:13 AM

http://blogs.laweekly.com/stylecouncil/town1-1candyland.jpg
Simon Paz
Master Shi Yan Fan, Shaolin Warrior Monk
​The Shaolin temple in China is 1,500 years old and one of the nation's most ancient sacred treasures, the source of all martial arts. The Shaolin temple in Los Angeles is 3 years old and is located in a Sherman Oaks storefront next to a pet store. It is, however, no less sacred to those who seek refuge here from the modern world. Here, the warrior monk known as master Shi Yan Fan, or "Powerful Sky," teaches Zen Buddhism and Shaolin kung fu. "Shaolin means young forest. Shao for young. Lin for trees. It means you can live forever," he'll say to those who wander in.

The temple wasn't always there, at least not in the physical sense. When the master first came to Los Angeles from China, he would train students in community centers, gyms, parks and forests. Eventually, the students got tired of carrying their weapons everywhere. They opened the temple, donating its rent, furnishings and upkeep.

Master Shi Yan Fan wasn't always a kung fu master. Actually, he wasn't always Shi Yan Fan. For all of his youth he was Italian-born Franco Testini. Though he has trained his entire life, only recently did he become an official Shaolin warrior monk, the first to do so in 300 years. He was branded on the head with nine incense sticks for five minutes. The last two minutes, when the incense burns through your skin, he says, "are very painful."

The ceremony was performed in 2007 at the Shaolin Temple in China when the Chinese government lifted its centuries-old ban on the practice. There was much fanfare. Preparations lasted a month. There were arduous training sessions and equally arduous lectures. Knees and foreheads became bruised from bowing for five hours a day. Some monks fainted from exhaustion. In the end, 100 monks were scheduled to receive the burn marks, but only 43 went through with it. "They got scared," Testini shrugs.

Testini has given his life to Shaolin. His mission is to share it with as many people as he can, and by share he means teach them compassion (a noble endeavor), to exercise every day (preaching to the choir) and to be happy without material possessions (good luck with that).

Testini speaks quickly and with a thick Italian accent. His assistant, Cindy, occasionally serves as unofficial interpreter. She also has given her life to Shaolin and, by extension, to her master, or as she calls him in Chinese, shifu. Training in Shaolin, the master taught her, isn't about tournaments and color belt systems and trophies. It's about learning to be Zen. It is daily exercise turned into martial arts.

"This was the first dojo I'd seen that wasn't about competition," Cindy says. "It was about longevity." Her long black hair is pulled back into a ponytail. Like her master, she has a round, pleasant face. "Before I came here, I had three jobs," she says. "All I wanted to do was make money. The more I lived like that, the harder it was. I was working so hard to pay for the things I never used because I was always working." Wanting less made life easier, she says.

She gave up bartending. She gave up her apartment. She moved in with her sister and gave up all her worldly possessions -- except for her car. (This is L.A. Cindy is Buddhist, not insane.)

Now she takes care of Testini's meetings calendar, coordinates his trips overseas, cleans and organizes. She volunteers and is not paid. This might seem unfair, but she views the arrangement as a worthy trade for peace and enlightenment. It is a symbiotic relationship. The master takes care of his students' spiritual sustenance and the students take care of his physical requirements. Every day, for instance, they bring him food. "It's our way of showing respect," Cindy says. "If you want something from the master, you need to give something. He doesn't have a car or an iPod. But he still needs money to pay for razors to shave his head."

When the warrior monk was a child growing up in Brindisi, a small port town in Southern Italy, his dad wanted to teach him to become a boxer "because my father is famous Italian boxer," he says. Testini was derailed from that career by age 7, when he found a booklet containing illustrations of a Shaolin monk moving like an animal. The monk in the booklet would move like a tiger or a dragon, say, and text at the bottom of the illustration explained what benefit such movement confers. The master can't remember now where he found the booklet, only that he carried it around with him everywhere: to the fields while tending his family's flock of sheep, to class -- when he'd go, that is. He would distract the other kids with it, to his teacher's everlasting consternation.

"The spirit of children this age ... lot of energy, lot of chi," he recalls with a smile and a shake of the head. He was, he says, an "agitated" child. Agitated?

"What's the word," says Cindy. "It starts with an M. He was mischievous."

His classmates refused to believe that he was a shepherd, for example. So one day, as proof, he brought in a live sheep. "It started to eat book," he recalls.

It wasn't until a cousin introduced him to a Shaolin monk that Testini's mischievous energy finally found an outlet. The cousin had a job delivering fresh milk and cheese to a nearby U.S. military base, where a Korean monk was teaching the troops self-defense. Under that monk's tutelage, Testini began to study martial arts and "started to create the energy."

Testini went to Korea to train. From there he went to China. Years passed. His skills grew. In China he was inducted into the Shaolin Temple at Song Han Mountain in Henan province, where the abbot renamed him Powerful Sky.

"Hollywood has blown this whole kung fu thing out of proportion," Cindy says. "People like to see monks kicking and punching. There are monks who leave the temple and go to Hollywood. They say they want to be Jet Li or Jackie Chan. This is against the rules."

Testini could have sold out to Hollywood, but instead he "spends years and years, suffering day by day" to understand Qigong, the system for cultivating and manipulating the vital force within all living beings. Qigong makes you able to break iron bars over your head and bricks with your bare hand, he explains.

"I break many rocks and stick over years in my head and with my body because I save my chi."
"You see him bending an iron rebar with his throat," Cindy says. She slips a DVD into the player and a documentary springs to life on the TV. The footage shows him outside on Ventura Boulevard pushing a car with an iron bar pinned against his windpipe. "Without the concentration, that could easily pierce his throat."

The master's cellphone beeps from somewhere deep inside his robes and he steps out to answer it. He has the abbot on speed dial.

Every day is the same. Testini wakes at 5 a.m., exercises for an hour, takes a cold shower. Then he performs a tea ceremony, goes to the temple to cultivate students at Dharma, then a bit of meditation, chanting and paying respect to Buddha. He contemplates philosophy, then teaches martial arts, including endurance, twisting, jumping and "how to make a fist." Then lunch. Then kids come in to train, then teenagers, then adults.

"Sometimes we forget we are human being," the master says. "We have heart, blood, ligament."

People come in to remember. They disappear back into the world, re-energized. Woah...I need money to pay for razors to shave my head...:rolleyes:

GeneChing
07-29-2022, 11:52 PM
Yanfan reached out to me directly about a Shaolin performance as part of this show:

Reggae Night XX (https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/events/performances/1764/2022-09-18/reggae-night-xx-ub40-the-original-wailers-feat-al-anderson-maxi-priest-big-mountain?fbclid=IwAR07ga88Q3e4jkRi236oBU2BDPPsnRrT E0uRCB2uZVKswbh4hm0GdOzqdQY)
UB40 • The Original Wailers feat Al Anderson • Maxi Priest • Big Mountain
KCRW Festival
Sun / Sept 18, 2022 - 7:00PM
The Bigga Baggariddim tour takes over the Bowl

GATE TIME:
5:30 PM
SUN / SEPT 18, 2022 - 7:00PM

FAVORITE
Artists
UB40
The Original Wailers feat Al Anderson
Maxi Priest
Big Mountain
KCRW DJ Ro "Wyldeflower" Contreras, host

Presented in association with 89.9 KCRW

About this Performance
With massive hits like “Red Red Wine” and “Can’t Help Falling in Love With You,” UB40 became one of the biggest names not only in reggae but in pop music in the 1980s and ’90s. The Wailers rewrote the history books as Bob Marley’s band, and today under leader Aston Barrett Jr. they carry the flame for the past and light the way forward. Maxi Priest scored huge hits like “Close to You” by bringing together the sounds of reggae with R&B, while Big Mountain’s cover of “Baby, I Love Your Way” brought their sun-soaked sound to the masses.

Here's his Press Release

The Venerable Grand Abbot Shi Yongxin sends his blessing for the famous Hollywood Bowl’s 100th season and presents Shaolin Temple Los Angeles and Historical Venerable Abbot Shi Yanfan. Grand Abbot authorized Shaolin Temple Los Angeles in 2005 and it officially opened as the first North American branch in 2008.

18,000 people will attend the event. And spectacular performance from Shaolin Warrior Monks. Never before has Shaolin been presented to a crowd this large in America. This is a wonderful opportunity to spread the real Chan Buddhist culture to the masses and inform people about the multiple cultural charms of Shaolin.

To see the performance, buy your tickets today to Hollywood Bowl Reggae Night, Sept 18.

I'm sad I won't be able to attend.

Yanfan-(Franco-Testini) (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?48656-Yanfan-(Franco-Testini))
Shaolin-Rasta-the-37th-Chamber (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?58144-Shaolin-Rasta-the-37th-Chamber)