PDA

View Full Version : how to make punch stronger?

grand master
07-24-2000, 06:04 AM
i was just wondering if any of you people had any techniques or exercises on how to make your punch stronger. i usually just do many puches with my 5kg dumbells in my hands which is good.

firecontrol
07-24-2000, 03:52 PM
From my own experience, I have found that punching with dumbells do not increase punching power (it gives the illusion of extra power and speed). To develop your punching power, go hit a heavy bag. Work on shifting your body weight, turning the heel and/or hip(depending on the punch), and staying balanced and centered (don't overreach) in the delivery of the punch and in the recovery. Good Boxing Basics help a lot.

GinSueDog
07-24-2000, 08:57 PM
An Article I got off of Big Sean's Website by Richard Bustillo.-ED

Fast Hands

Jeet Kune Do’s Hand speed Drills Will Make Your Punches Powerful and Very Fast

By Richard Bustillo

In the book, The Tao of Jeet Kune Do, Bruce Lee talks about the desirable characteristics of promoting speed. These qualities include mobility; spring, resilience and elasticity; stamina; physical and mental alertness; imagination and anticipation.
"Exercise which increase skill and flexibility of the both hand and footwork are indispensable building blocks for the fighter," Lee wrote. "Many fighters fail to appreciate how much true speed depends on economy of motion (good form and good coordination). Thus, constant mechanical drill is essential."

And that is what you’re going to get in this story. Drills, drills and more drills. In no time, your hands are going to be fast, fast, fast. But that’s what you want, right? Whether you compete in no-holds-barred events, fast punches can only improve your arsenal and make you more dangerous.

Where do you start? There are several drills you can do, including a variety of push-ups, bungee cord drills and reflex drills. These are nice because you don’t need a lot of room, and you don’t need a lot of money. All you need is a little desire.

Before you begin these exercises, consult a physician. The last thing you want to do is hyperextend an elbow or damage a shoulder. And always warm up before you begin.

Push-Ups

In order to improve your hand speed, you must first develop your strength. Hand clap push-ups, knuckle push-ups, one-arm push-ups and focus mitt push-ups are a great way to develop your strength.

Start with hand clap push-ups. Assume a push-up position, push yourself up, clap your hands, return to the starting position and repeat.

Knuckle push-ups are next. Assume a push-up position, clench your fists, push yourself up, pause, return to the starting position and repeat.

When you do the one-arm knuckle push-ups, hold one arm behind your back and spread your legs a little wider than usual for balance.

You’ll need a partner to do this last drill. Assume a push-up position in front of your partner, who should kneel in front of you with focus mitts on each hand. Push yourself up, throw a right punch at the focus mitt, land, push yourself up, throw a left punch at the left mitt, return to the starting position and repeat.

In the beginning, do three sets of 10 reps for each type of push-up. You should eventually increase the sets and reps. For variety, do different push-ups each workout.

Paper Training

Speed is worthless of your punches aren’t accurate. This drill enhances your accuracy. When you do this drill, bear in mind what Lee once said, "Let the man feel it before he sees it." What does he mean? Don’t telegraph your move before striking to target.

To do this drill, you’ll need some rope, a piece of paper, an eye hook and some string. Attach the rope to the ceiling and tie the eye hook to the other end of the rope. Next, tie the strung to the eye hook and attach the paper to the end of the string so it hangs about head-high.

Assume a fighting stance and throw punches at the paper. The idea is to barely make contact. Mix it up by throwing a variety of punches. Do this drill for five to 10 minutes.

Bungee Cord Training

Training with the bungee cord is another way to build arm strength. There are two ways to do this drill. The first requires a partner. In the first drill, assume a fighting stance and hold the handle of one end of the bungee cord while your partner stands behind you holding the other end of the cord. Throw a punch, return to the starting position and repeat.

The second drill does not require a partner because you wear the bungee cord device around your shoulders. Hold each handle and throw a variety of punches. The duration, sets and reps are up to you.

Focus Mitt Training

Focus mitt training is another good method for developing your reflexes and accuracy. This drill also requires a partner. Assume a fighting stance in front of your partner, who should wear a pair of focus mitts. Your partner should hold the gloves at chest-height and pointed toward his chest. Without notice, he should turn one glove and face it toward you. If your partner holds his left hand up, strike with your left hand. If he holds up his right hand up, strike with your right hand. Do this drill by rounds.

Sparring

To complete your speed training, you should spar with a partner. Don some protective gear ad go at it.

About the author: Richard Bustillo, who owns the IMB Academy in Torrance, California, trained with Bruce Lee.

September 1998 / M. A. Training

. .

curious
07-25-2000, 10:14 PM
I have read from a few different sources that knuckle pushups are dangerous. Boxing seems to have the best punches of any style.

GinSueDog
07-25-2000, 10:34 PM
Curious,
Richard Bustillo is not only a JKD instructor but also a certiflied Olympic Boxing coach. I normally do finger push ups regularly and haven't notice any negative effects. When I was training with Richard we would do the above workout and would be able to see positive results almost immediately.-ED

------------------
"The grappling arts imply most fights end up on the ground...take them there. The striking arts imply all fights start standing up...keep them there. The mixed martial arts imply any fight can go anywhere...be ready and able to go everywhere."-a mix martial artist

07-28-2000, 12:03 AM
"...500 punches for each arm a day..."

Kung Lek
07-28-2000, 02:35 AM
root. breath out when striking, breath in when drawing. root.

peace

------------------
Kung Lek

DEADLY TIGER
07-31-2000, 11:13 PM
power is all in the hips, let your hips punch and u should snap your punch cuz if you really follow through then it gaves your opponent a chance to impact the punch and absorb it but if u snap it then he cant, so work on that, and dont close ur fist till moment of impact

08-01-2000, 06:31 PM
How about, "get a friggin teacher"

Jaguar Wong
08-01-2000, 10:43 PM
I am a big fan of the heavy bag for punching power. That doesn't mean you have to do boxing style punches. You can use it to develop all of your punches. I love the feel of a good rib level short strike (elbow in and down, using your waist to whip the punch). The most important thing is to practice to the point where you can throw your punches in a relaxed manner, snapping at the point of impact. This saves a lot of energy, as well as helping with your speed and penetrating power (you don't have muscles working against each other).

I push from the ground, and bring it into the hips, then twist it out, focusing the momentum into the hands. At the point of impact feel your whole body driving into the target. All the momentum will be focused into your fist. Just don't lean into it. Like Kung Lek said, root.

Practice, Practice, Practice. You need the muscle memory in order to throw a punch properly without having to think too much, and you can stay relaxed.

------------------
Jaguar Wong
www.superaction.com (http://www.superaction.com)

Raatra
08-03-2000, 01:20 PM
the jerking motion of punching with weights in your hands over long periods of time seriously damages the tendons and ligaments in your arms. one of my teachers father did this for years and now he cant fully use his arms. if you are going to punch with weights do it slowly without any jerking motion.

Twinsen
08-12-2000, 01:03 AM
Greetings my friends,

I don't have a speed ball in my house. I just use heavy bag to train my speed and power. So is the speed ball important for your punching speed?

thanks,

------------------
~Guybrush~