PDA

View Full Version : SPRINGY LEG

J.L.BLACKSTONE
07-31-2000, 08:03 PM
GOOD EXERCISES ON STRETCHING FOR SPRINGY LEG DEVELOPMENT.ALSO INFORM ME WHETHER REPETITIONS ARE A ADVANTAGE AS BY ANALOGY WHEN A CAT STRETCHES IT DONT DO REPS.LUKE

Kung Lek
08-02-2000, 08:22 PM
Hi-

here's a couple.

one legged squats. With one leg straight out, squat down as far as you can on the other then up, then switch legs.

Static stance training. Hold each stance for equal periods of time and extend that time period as you practice.

double leg squats, down reaaaaal slow, up reaal slow. many repititions.

splits, side and front. for the side splits, rock the hips back and forth slowly to open the pelvis and sacral vertabrae. for the front ease into it, keep the back straight and try to eventually not use your hands to support your body.

extended periods of crane stance (one legged standing with arms at side or up).

jumping in horse stance. from a horse stance jump up, touch knees to chest and land back in solid horse stance. try to get higher and higher each time you jump. you can also do this from running on the spot and then jumping up, knees to chest and down to a solid horse stance then up and running on the spot again. repeat several repititions.

this is only a couple, I'm sure more people here can contribute a few more exercises to improve your spring leg.
If possible learning a Tan tui set 10 or 12 rows will also improve your balance and leg strength.
peace

------------------
Kung Lek

J.L.BLACKSTONE
08-03-2000, 06:52 PM
I ASSUME YOU BELIEVE IN REPETIONS RATHER THAN SINGLE TIME DURATION STRETCHES AS YOU
DID NOT COMMENT ON THE FACT A CAT STRETCHES BUT IT DONT DO REPS.WHATS YOUR LOGIC ON THIS>LUKE?

Kung Lek
08-04-2000, 01:32 AM
Hi-

My spin is this.
I am a Human being and I am not a cat.
A cat has a completely and utterly different physiological structure than me so I will not anthropamorphize the cat and equate its ability with my own.

My weight and size in relation to my surroundings makes how I move and how my muscle builds totally different from a cats and therefore I cannot do what a cat does anymore than a cat can do what I do.

To study how a cat moves and to mimic some of those movements is worthwhile but it is important to be able to transpose what is transposeable to the human form and not to transpose that which would prove to be impossible.

Humans build muscle tissue, tensile strength, flexibility and general physicality through repititive exercise.

slow stretching is also part of it but as far as building strength through this method, that is not what occurs with the human form.
You want flexibility and open joints, go slow slow slow, if you want to combine strength, then repitition is where its at.

peace

------------------
Kung Lek

J.L.BLACKSTONE
08-07-2000, 04:46 PM
THANKS FOR YOUR LOGICAL EXPLANATION. I HAVE
ADDED QUIGONG TO THE STRETCHES AND REPS SO I CAN FORM A STRONG BASE FOR PRAYING MANTIS.CAN
YOU ADVISE ON DEVELOPING THE MIDDLE AND UPPER BODY. WHATS YOUR OWN STYLE. GOOD LUCK LUKE.

Kung Lek
08-08-2000, 11:00 PM
Hi JL-

The styles I practice and learn are Southern Black Tiger, North shaolin and I have started training original five animals recently.

As for upper body, there are a variety of exercises you can do to increase strength and flexibilty in the area.

Isotonic/Isometric exercises done in a balanced fashion will increase strength whereas chi kung exercises that involve bending and twisting of the spine will increase flexibilty as well as lengthen tendons and muscles.

Kung fu curriculums include many exercises designed to do all the things you are looking for.

Results are not always fast and th key to getting good at martial arts is practice and patience.

peace

------------------
Kung Lek

J.L.BLACKSTONE
08-09-2000, 05:43 PM
I AM TOLD ABDOMINAL BREATHING IS MOST ADVANCED AND DONE AFTER THE FORMS.? I PRACTICE CONDITIONING DAILY AS WELL AS FORMS FROM KARATE.AIKIDO.AND SOME PRAYING MANTIS
I RECENTLY LEARNT. I UNDESRSTAND THAT THE CONCEPT SKILL IS MORE IMOPORTANT THAN TECNIQUES,TACTICS, STRATEGY,?IS DOING QUIGONG WHILE STRETCHING CALLED CHI KUNG.
PEACE.

J.L.BLACKSTONE
08-09-2000, 05:48 PM
AS YOU CAN SEE WHERE CHINESE MARTIAL ARTS ARE I AM LOST AND YOUR REFERENCE TO TAN TUI AND SHAOLIN BLACK TIGER WHILE INTERESTING
CREATES A LANGUAGE DIFFICULTY THAT DOES NOT OCCUR FOR OTHERS WHO ARE VETERANS OF CHINESE
SYSTEMS.?PEACE

Kung Lek
08-10-2000, 11:49 PM
Hi JL.

Abdominal breathing is a concept associated with Chi Kung and other meditative practices inclusive to but not only buddhist and Taoist.

In the practice, the diaphragm is used to pull air into the lungs as opposed to just filling the Lungs.

The diaphragm breathing is generally considered Taoist but it is used in all sorts of disciplines including western practices. It helps you to gather more air into yourself.
It is really not terribly advanced and is a straightforward theory that guides the principle of it.

The real meat and potatoes of it all is take what you are taught and practice it to the best of your ability. Accept the corrections your techer gives you and when you have perfected the technique, learn more.

As you study, you will be given more and more information until eventually you will have a "library" of skills to practice and your knowledge base will grow and grow.
Then another stage of learning occurs when you begin imparting that which you know to others.

peace

------------------
Kung Lek

J.L.BLACKSTONE
08-13-2000, 05:57 PM
THANKS FOR THE INFO I HAVE PUT A GENERAL QUESTION ON HORSE STANCE WHICH I CAN DO FOR FIVE MINUTES AND THE EXERCISES YOU SUGGESTED
MY LEGS ARE BECOMING VERY POWERFUL. ALSO I HAVE LEARNT THAT POSTURES INDIVIDUALLY ARE
VERY IMPORTANT AND GOT THE FIVE ANIMAL PHOTOS FROM A WEB SITE. I AM VERY INTERESTED IN POSTURES WHICH I MISTOOK TO BE CEREMONIAL. WHAT ARE THE POSTURES OF BLACK TIGER. ARE PHOTOS ON WEB SITE. PEACE LUKE.?

kungfuswack
08-13-2000, 11:20 PM
I thought this was a JKD forum. Go to a gym, jump rope for 20 minutes, hit an exercise bike for 20 minutes, and do some squats and leg curls, unweighted at first, then a month or 2 in, hit some light weights. Always do anaerobic exercises very slowly to maximize resistance both pushing and releasing, and always with at least 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps each. You CANNOT build or strengthen muscle without a full range of motion. Prolonged horse stances or other stationary "exercises" waste your time. Don't trust information simply because it's old. People used to think that witches tossed in a lake would pop back out like a cork, and that if someone was accused of a crime, making them walk through fire was a reliable test to determine guilt.

Kung Lek
08-14-2000, 02:18 AM
"Prolonged horse stances or other stationary "exercises" waste your time. Don't trust information because it is old"

Gee, I wonder how you would learn how to do math or speak and type? This information is pretty old. What about washing yourself to be hygenic?

What about "take what is useful"?

Tell me, what do you think jkd is? do you think it is a style? or a concept?
or something else entirely.

I have difficulty reading such comments as you have supplied us with here kungfuswack.

The dude asked a question, and i answered with what I could. Your advice was good to a point also but there is no need to diminish the traditional standpoint now is there?

peace

------------------
Kung Lek

J.L.BLACKSTONE
08-14-2000, 05:18 PM
I STUDY BRUCE LEES TAO OF JEET KUNE DO AND
HIS PHILOSOPHY IS LEARN A BIT FROM THE YOUNG AND A BIT FROM THE OLD.HE ALSO EMPHASISES
SIMPLICITY. THANKS FOR THE REPLIES.
;LIFE IS A RIVER ,THEREFORE BUILD NO HOUSE UPON IT' PUT IT ON YOUR GRAVE STONE.?I THINK THE ANSWER TO MY OWN QUESTION IS THAT YOU
HAVE TO WORK OUT THE APPLICATIONS OF HORSE STANCE ONESELF. TO BEGIN WITH ITS A SWEEP.?

J.L.BLACKSTONE
08-14-2000, 05:24 PM
KUNG LEKS POINT IS CORRECT A TEACHER ON TAI KWONDO WAS SHOWING THE SPORT TO STUDENTS
WHICH HAS NO VALUE IN REAL COMBAT BUT WHEN
HE STARTED SHOWING THEM THE TRADITIONAL STUFF
THERE WAS COMPLETE TRANSFORMATION. PEACE.
SOME PEOPLE ARE NOSTALGIC ABOUT THE PAST AND THIS CANGIVE A BAD IMPRESSION. BUT TRADITIONAL STANCES ANMD POSTURES ECT ARE VERY SCIENTIFIC AND 'CALCULATED.WHICH WHAT
ALL MARTIAL ARTS ARE. CALCULATIONS.?