PDA

View Full Version : any opinions of this book?

BruceSteveRoy
10-30-2007, 07:36 AM
http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Maximum-Muscle/dp/1583332383/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-4143178-6727368?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193754853&sr=8-1

The New Rules of Lifting by: Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove

I bought it the other day and i really like what i have read so far and am excited about putting it in to practice. but i am curious if any of you have read it and/or have an opinion about it. thanks.

sanjuro_ronin
10-30-2007, 08:38 AM
A revolutionary method of weight lifting using today's science for maximum results.

In The New Rules of Lifting, fitness guru Lou Schuler and strength-training expert Alwyn Cosgrove boil down the most recent findings on weight lifting and fitness to create a program of workouts that focuses on the movements at which the body naturally excels. These six "real-life" movements-squat, bend, lunge, push, pull, and twist-compose three complete programs for three distinct goals: fat loss, muscle gain, and strength improvement.

At home or at the gym, these routines can be mixed and matched for a year's worth of workouts that will keep boredom at bay and lifters challenged long after most plans have called it quits. And while coordinated, useful muscles will always turn heads at the beach, they'll also help you live better and longer. Besides providing comprehensive workout programs, The New Rules of Lifting covers much-needed background on aspects of lifting that are often overlooked, like warming up, nutrition, and meal planning. Throughout, Schuler and Cosgrove debunk strength-training myths, troubleshoot dangerous pitfalls, and clearly illustrate moves with black-and-white photographs.

Where to start....

I think it will be a nice change in everyone's typical routine, just because it may not be the typical ST regime.
In the long term however I think that if you are looking for "maximum strenght results" its best to stick to the methods that focus on just that.
Compound, power based, simple exercises.

sanjuro_ronin
10-30-2007, 08:40 AM
I totally agree with the "natural movement" thing, I have always advocated exercises that hit the 'everyday" muscle moves:
Deadlifts, chins, dips, curls, overhead raises and so on.

Vash
11-01-2007, 03:16 PM
http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Maximum-Muscle/dp/1583332383/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-4143178-6727368?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193754853&sr=8-1

The New Rules of Lifting by: Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove

That's all that needs to be said.

Excellent, standard resource for a personal trainer, or the person trying to get in shape.

Highly recommend this book.

BruceSteveRoy
11-02-2007, 08:47 AM
i am almost finished reading it and i have to say it is really good. at least as far as the reading of it goes. I will have to do the workouts to know how true it is. but the writing is engaging, and it is dumbed down enough that i can follow everything they are talking about. not to mention that lou schuler is actually a pretty funny dude. but yeah, i have company staying the weekend so i will have to wait til monday to begin this program. i am excited about it.