PDA

View Full Version : STEVE GOLDEN SEMINAR REVIEW!!!

Sean Madigan
08-10-2000, 08:35 PM
Hi All,

On the weekend of August 5th & 6th, Steve Golden presented a seminar on Jeet Kune Do. Brooklyn New York will never be the same again! As is always the case with any of SteveÂ’s seminars, we were all able to get something out of it, and have a great time doing so. After getting to know the attendees, and their martial arts backgrounds, Steve went over what he will cover during the weekend. Steve explained that the first rule of his seminars is that nobody should get hurt, and that he wants people to ask any question they have. It was refreshing to see a martial arts instructor demand that you question his teachings.

Our training started off with the bi-jong or ready stance, and the footwork that accompanies it. Steve went over the Step & Slide, the Side Step, the Pendulum Step, and the Push Shuffle. Examples of each were shown and then tips on using them in combat were given. The idea of taking smaller steps was emphasized. Then Steve taught how to combine some of the different methods of footwork to mask your intentions and distance. It was an eye opening experience to say the least. If youÂ’ve never had the opportunity of having Steve Golden close on you, then youÂ’re missing out on a very humbling experience.

Some of the basic striking tools of Jeet Kune Do were then presented. The straighlead (Jik Chung), the back-fist (Gua Choy) and the finger jab (Biu Gee) were used to show the principles of Bridging and Cutting. Steve gave examples of each technique, where they fit into the ‘tool box’ of JKD, and methods for training them. The lower body tools that were taught were the Straight kick (Jik Tek), the side-kick (Juk Tek) and the stop kick (Jeet Tek). Each kick was shown with footwork and against an opponent.

The Five Ways of Attack, and how to use them against an uncooperative opponent was the focus for the remainder of the day. Steve broke down each ‘Way” and then gave tons of drills to show how you can use these ‘tools’ to break through your opponents defensive strategy. Steve showed how the principles of timing, distance awareness and much, much more were needed to use these the Five Ways with the effectiveness that you should be able to. All drills were done from both the bi-jong stance, and from a neutral stance as well. In addition to this, both matched and unmatched leads were taught and explored to see where the strategy changed because of it.

For me, one of my favorite aspects of the first day was when Steve taught us to have the ability to beat a faster opponent. The drills were great and it was great to see it work with each and every training partner I used. Steve explained the idea of ‘energy’ and how we can use it to make our strikes faster then our opponents. It was truly amazing!

One of the biggest ‘crowd pleasers’ was the One-Inch punch and the use of the 3rd hand in striking. Until this seminar, I was always of the opinion that the 3rd hand was something that was strictly used only in trapping. Steve showed how it is used in conjunction with our other striking tools.

Together, Steve had use look at Attack by Draw, Progressive Indirect Attack, Hand Immobilization Attack, Simple Attack and of course Attack by Combination to see how they are used within JKD. He also explained the roots of these methods and how they came about being included in Bruce LeeÂ’s fighting method.

Steve started Sunday off with explaining the positions and energy for the Bong Sau, Tan Sau and Fook Sau. There are the three positions needed for the exercise called Chi Sau. After explaining how these positions were used, Steve had us start the Chi Sau roll. While rolling Steve spoke of the ‘energy’ again, and taught how to determine how much force or ‘energy’ we should use with each other. Proper structure was explained and Steve showed how we can generate power with the proper alignment of the hips in relation to other areas of your body.

In addition to Chi Sau, Wing ChunÂ’s Lop Sau drill was demonstrated. Steve went over in great detail the position named Wu Sau, and itÂ’s relationship to the drill. It was shown how the Lop Sau Drill can help you in combat, and what are some of the pit falls of the drill. Even those that were extremely familiar with the drill were amazed at some of the (what may at first seem) minor details that can completely change the focus of the drill.

Steve showed how you find each of the Five Ways of Attack within Chi Sau, and spoke of the history of the drill and its inclusion in Jeet Kune Do. Steve then showed some of the differences in the way JKD and Wing Chun use the drill. He made a point of saying that we in JKD didn’t make Chi Sau ‘better’ rather we changed some of the focus so that it fits in with our strategy.

A great glove drill was then taught to give you the ability to match or beat the opponent’s speed no matter how fast they were. The drill was new to me, and I think just about everybody in the room as well, and the participants were amazed at Steve ability to ‘beat’ them to the punch from a greater distance, with them initiating the drill!

This was a great seminar, a success in every sense of the word. Steve Golden is a great person, and a fantastic martial artist. He proved that to us over and over again this weekend. Steve keep the number of attendees to the seminar small so that he can get to touch hands with every person in the room and some people had to be turned away at the door. It was truly an amazing experience to train with Steve again, and I canÂ’t wait to see what he has in store for us next year.

All the best,

BIG Sean Madigan

Snoopy
08-29-2000, 04:34 AM
I was at the Steve Golden's seminar hosted by Sean Magidan on August 5th. This was the first time I ever participated in a seminar like this and I felt a bit nervous about attending. However, at the end of the day I was glad I went!

What really stood out for me that day was learning how to kick low. Meaning that when I was learning Karate I've always been taught to kick high (like in the movies!) and I was shown a very different way of kicking at this seminar, where I could better defend myself than doing some fancy kick and getting the wind kicked out of me in the process!! Also, I was taught some pretty interesting punches!

It was great to have met Steve Golden and especially Sean since I have gotten to know him from another website at:
http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/18213 -

called "The Martial Artist's Way Discussion Board" hosted by 3x time Canadian Champion Glen Doyle - had to give a plug!!

Also, it was wonderful to have met other martial art students who enjoyed being there as much as I did!

Kathy (aka Snoopy)

------------------
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

handsome
11-23-2000, 08:20 AM
Is there any story to tell between Steve and Garrett's first encounter at the Bruce Lee party and someone had mentioned that they had done some chi sao together. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Gordon

Sean Madigan
11-23-2000, 07:09 PM
Hi All,

I asked Steve Golden about this. Here is his reply:
_____
This was at the Bruce Lee exhibition in Chinatown, San Francisco. I noticed some people doing Wing Chun in front of the exhibit poster. The Wing Chun was different than I had seen before. Garrett was obviously the instructor
so I introduced myself and asked which branch of Wing Chun he was doing. He wanted to do some chi sao with me but I explained that I was recovering
from a major knee operation and would not be able to do that. I would be happy to "touch hands" but not much beyond that. We did roll for a minute
but that's all. I told him that his Wing Chun looked very good and that I was unfamiliar with his methods. I asked him how some of it worked. He demonstrated, on me of course, and explained what he was doing and why.

He also had one of his students do Sil Lim Tao. That was very different than I had ever seen but his student showed excellent form and precision. I was impressed by the form as well as by the student's skill.

All and all, it was very interesting and I appreciated Garrett's willingness to share.

Gordon, what story did you hear?

Thanks,

BIG Sean Madigan

www.bigkd.com (http://www.bigjkd.com)

handsome
11-24-2000, 03:30 AM
Thanks Sean, Oh! I have heard many good things about both Steve and Garrett. Someone mentioned to me that Chris Chan, Ken Chung and Garrett Gee are three of the most powerful wing chun figthers in Califoria. I was surprised Steve didn't know Garrett before BL event. Garrett Gee has a long history in " gong sau " with many fighters.
And I really want to meet him someday.

Gordon

handsome
12-03-2000, 11:13 AM
Hi Sean,
Have you read about the article on VTmuseum.org website ? They have also mentioned the meeting between Steve Golden and Garrett Gee. Go check it out and there're many interesting stuffs at the VTM website!!!

handsome
12-03-2000, 11:26 AM
Hi Sean,
Have you read about the article on VTmuseum.org?
They've also mentioned about Steve Golden and Garrett Gee's meeting at Bruce Lee's event in SF.
There're many interesting stuffs about the VTM's website. Two thumbs up, check it out!!!

Gordon

handsome
12-03-2000, 11:33 AM
Hi Sean,
Have you read about the article on VTmuseum.org?
They've also mentioned about Steve Golden and Garrett Gee's meeting at Bruce Lee's event in SF.
There're many interesting stuffs about the VTM's website. Two thumbs up, check it out!!!

Gordon

handsome
12-03-2000, 07:42 PM
Sorry guys, there's a problem with my computer.
Sorry for so many same posts. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Sean Madigan
12-04-2000, 05:45 PM
Hi,

Sorry, I couldn't find the article on the site that mentions Steve, could you point me in the right direction?

What is the name of the article?

WHat is the URL?

That kind of thing..

BIG Sean Madigan

www.bigkd.com (http://www.bigjkd.com)

handsome
12-05-2000, 03:56 AM
Hi Sean,
Here you go... WWW.VTmuseum.org (http://WWW.VTmuseum.org)
Look up " Timeline " 2000
Go to October 20-25 2000, San Francisco,Ca.
Friendship Gathering, Hung Fa Yi visit(14 TH)
and Bruce Lee Event.

See review and you'll find STEVE GOLDEN's name .