PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Fortress remake?

GeneChing
10-30-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm ok with the Karate Kid remake (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48261). I was ok with all the spaghetti western Kurosawa remakes. But this, I'm not ok with.

Toho rebuilds "The Hidden Fortress" (http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/4824/1/)
Written by Mark Schilling
Tuesday, 30 October 2007

Akira Kurosawa's 1958 action comedy "The Hidden Fortress" ("Kakushi toride no san-akunin") -- said to be the inspiration for "Star Wars" -- will be remade in Japan, producer and distrib Toho has announced.

The pic will be helmed by Shinji Higuchi, an SFX **** also responsible for the hits "Lorelei" (2005) and last year's "The Sinking of Japan" (Nihon chinbotsu).

Playing the Toshiro Mifune role of a general guiding a princess through enemy territory is Hiroshi Abe, a Hugh Grant-ish star who is branching out from romantic comedy to action roles.

Taking the Misa Uehara role of the princess is Masami Nagasawa, a film and TV star since her breakthrough in the 2004 megahit weepy "Crying Out Love, in the Center of the World" (Sekai no chushin de ai o sakebu).

In a departure from the original, the two bumbling peasants who attach themselves to the general and princess -- and are the models for C-3PO and R2-D2 -- will be combined into a single character, a mountain-dweller played by Jun Matsumoto, from boy band Arashi, who stars in hit TV drama "Hana yori dango" (Boys Over Flowers). Matsumoto has also appeared in pics, including 2004 hit "Tokyo Tower."

Shooting starts Thursday and is skedded to wrap by the end of the year. Toho has slotted "The Hidden Fortress" for a May 10 release.

Also on the Toho line-up is "Subaki sanjuro," a remake of the 1962 Kurosawa pic of the same title, starring Yuji Oda ("Bayside Shakedown") in the Mifune role. Release is skedded for Dec. 1.

MasterKiller
10-30-2007, 11:50 AM
It was already remade into the abysmal "The Phantom Menace"/ and the classic "A New Hope."

Zenshiite
10-30-2007, 03:51 PM
It was already remade into the abysmal "The Phantom Menace"/ and the classic "A New Hope."

Wasn't there a claim that The Moon Warriors was the inspiration for the Phantom Menace?

doug maverick
10-30-2007, 07:47 PM
moon warriors????? i heard of that movie but it came out way after star wars. hidden fortress was the only movie i ever heard of star wars being based off of but ofcourse there are alot of book reference's(frank herberts dune among others) but anyway i'm alright with them remaking the film for the newer generation it'll make them want to watch the original when all the critics go for the jugular which they will, cause lets face it its kurosawa its hard to do kurosawa only two directors did it right john sturges(magnificent seven) and ofcourse sergio leon(fist full of dollars). but come on gene alot of kurosawa films were based on john ford films so you can't get mad at remakes everything is a essientiallly a remake its all in how you do it that defines the film. all i'm saying is don't judge until you've seen it.

Zenshiite
10-31-2007, 03:00 PM
moon warriors????? i heard of that movie but it came out way after star wars. hidden fortress was the only movie i ever heard of star wars being based off of but ofcourse there are alot of book reference's(frank herberts dune among others) but anyway i'm alright with them remaking the film for the newer generation it'll make them want to watch the original when all the critics go for the jugular which they will, cause lets face it its kurosawa its hard to do kurosawa only two directors did it right john sturges(magnificent seven) and ofcourse sergio leon(fist full of dollars). but come on gene alot of kurosawa films were based on john ford films so you can't get mad at remakes everything is a essientiallly a remake its all in how you do it that defines the film. all i'm saying is don't judge until you've seen it.

It came out in 92, The Phantom Menace came out in '99. I swear I picked it up at a rental place like 5 years ago and the box said "inspiration for the Phantom Menace." I wouldn't say it is, but I swear I saw that claim.

doug maverick
10-31-2007, 05:15 PM
could be true but moon warriors and phantom menace are sofar removed from each other. while it resembles hidden fortress imensely

Zenshiite
11-01-2007, 12:17 PM
could be true but moon warriors and phantom menace are sofar removed from each other. while it resembles hidden fortress imensely

Like I said, I wouldn't say it is... but I'm sure I saw that claim.

The Hidden Fortress is totally true though, probably more so with TPM than ANH.

doug maverick
11-01-2007, 10:22 PM
yea funny thing is i saw a dvd of moon warriors that claimed the same thing just the other day.