PDA

View Full Version : chan tai san/ lama pai/ reality fighting

htowndragon
10-31-2007, 12:13 PM
ross-

you mentioned many times that when it came to real fighting, CTS prefered and used a select amount of techniques.

i was wondering what sort of "hand techniques" that CTS preferred?

lkfmdc
10-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Most wouldn't come as a surprise at all.....

Sifu Chan Tai San had studied western boxing, he believed in using a jab to close the distance. Once inside he was fond of Jyu Geng Paau (uppercut), So Choih (long/sweep hook) and Kahp Choih (over hand). These were his most favorite. Followed up by Chaap Choih and Chyuhn Choih to the body

monji112000
10-31-2007, 01:11 PM
Most wouldn't come as a surprise at all.....

Sifu Chan Tai San had studied western boxing, he believed in using a jab to close the distance. Once inside he was fond of Jyu Geng Paau (uppercut), So Choih (long/sweep hook) and Kahp Choih (over hand). These were his most favorite. Followed up by Chaap Choih and Chyuhn Choih to the body

This is the case with allot of older Chinese fighters. I am pretty shure Japanese fighters also. each had their personality but they were all using very basic effective techniques. Jab,cross,hook, elbow,knee, parry,uppercut... most martial arts use these technqiues.

I think allot of the misinformation came from students and superficial reasons.

lkfmdc
10-31-2007, 01:22 PM
i was wondering what sort of "hand techniques" that CTS preferred?

Since the original post asked about hand techniques, I answered in that regards

In regards to leg technique, knees, and lots of variations on low kicks were favored.

hskwarrior
10-31-2007, 01:39 PM
all good fighters are going to have:

good punching, blocking and kicking skills. once those are covered, then its time to take out a few other strikes from the style and master them.

in our CLF system, i love chop choys, sow choys, all the backfists, and especially the fu jow. those who have been around me long enough knows the fu jow i can go on for days about.

but yeah, my sifu also taught me to take like 6-7 moves and master those for street combat.

htowndragon
10-31-2007, 01:49 PM
not surprised at all, seems like a pretty standard arsenal for a lions roar fighter

lkfmdc
10-31-2007, 02:06 PM
The caveat to the Lion's Roar approach is that you must firmly grasp angles, centerline and head movment. Without it, you are "cave man fighting" (ie just trading blows).... when you fight like a caveman you end up about as smart

HOKPAIWES
10-31-2007, 02:16 PM
The caveat to the Lion's Roar approach is that you must firmly grasp angles, centerline and head movment. Without it, you are "cave man fighting" (ie just trading blows).... when you fight like a caveman you end up about as smart

Hello,

Could you go into a bit more detail what you mean by "head movement"? Interesting, thanks.

htowndragon
11-01-2007, 02:57 PM
ttt

TTTT

monji112000
11-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Hello,

Could you go into a bit more detail what you mean by "head movement"? Interesting, thanks.

I would be interested in your ideas on head movement. I am somewhat familiar with boxing head movement.