PDA

View Full Version : The Shaolin list of the 18 masters - the original!

Sal Canzonieri
11-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Hi, please see this post I made in the Northern Mantis section:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=812819&postcount=42

r.(shaolin)
11-04-2007, 09:12 AM
This is the Shaolin version of the 18 masters names and skills. Two of the surviving books ("Records of Shao Lin Monastery" and "Records about Shao Lin Boxing") that escaped the burning of Shaolin in 1928, mentioned a list of names of 18 skills and who they came from. They say that in the year 961, head martial art monk Fu Ju (Fu is a surname that means: blessing and Ju means to reside, most likely his honorary name). Under the auspices of Emperor Zhao Kuang Yin, Fu Ju called a meeting of masters 3 times for a span of 3 years each . . .built a series of standardized sets that they assembled into a book.

Hi Sal,
I find this interesting in that there a bit of overlap in our tradition.
At my Shizu's school (early 1900's) they had a book called "Shaolin Record". This record contained a listing of all set names. According to this record, there were at one time 273 standard sets recorded at Shaolin. This book did not contain "quan pu" just set names, 'histories' and other related information such as peoples names who were associated with bringing these sets to Shaolin. Apparently set "quan pu" were put down into other volumes, the 'Shaolin Record' was just a single volume. However, according to our version here were 13 not 18 outside experts that came for 3 years each.

r.

Sal Canzonieri
11-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Hi Sal,
I find this interesting in that there a bit of overlap in our tradition.
At my Shizu's school (early 1900's) they had a book called "Shaolin Record". This record contained a listing of all set names. According to this record, there were at one time 273 standard sets recorded at Shaolin. This book did not contain "quan pu" just set names, 'histories' and other related information such as peoples names who were associated with bringing these sets to Shaolin. Apparently set "quan pu" were put down into other volumes, the 'Shaolin Record' was just a single volume. However, according to our version here were 13 not 18 outside experts that came for 3 years each.

r.

Okay, yeah, same story: 273 sets were standardized after these martial art expert conventions were held. And put into a book called the Mi Quan, the secret book.

13 outside experts, well that makes sense and if you subtract the HONORARY people who weren't actually there from the list of 18 masters who's styles were used as a base, you would have 13?

Subtract Zhao Kung Yin
subtract Han Tong (he was dead by then, in battle to defend the previous emperor)

that's 16 now.

Then subtract the 3 people that are said to be from Shandong, Water Margin Novel, students of Zhou Tong (all three are Fanzi (Ba Fan Men (Ba Shan Fan, Ba Fan Shou) stylists):

Yan Qing
Lin Chong
(forgot the third person, he was Lin Chong's nephew)

then you have 13 actual people.

(check your PMs here, I sent you one)

r.(shaolin)
11-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Okay, yeah, same story: 273 sets were standardized after these martial art expert conventions were held. And put into a book called the Mi Quan, the secret book.

13 outside experts, well that makes sense and if you subtract the HONORARY people who weren't actually there from the list of 18 masters who's styles were used as a base, you would have 13?

Subtract Zhao Kung Yin
subtract Han Tong (he was dead by then, in battle to defend the previous emperor)
that's 16 now.

Then subtract the 3 people that are said to be from Shandong, Water Margin Novel, students of Zhou Tong (all three are Fanzi (Ba Fan Men (Ba Shan Fan, Ba Fan Shou) stylists):

Yan Qing
Lin Chong
(forgot the third person, he was Lin Chong's nephew)

then you have 13 actual people.

(check your PMs here, I sent you one)

Sal, your post makes sense.
Having said this, I would add that there were a number of major 'reconstructions' of martial arts at Shaolin. The Fu Ju reconstruction of martial arts at Shaolin predates Bai Yu Feng's time and apparently fell largely to disuse. Jue and Bai Yufeng represent another major martial arts 'reconstruction'. No doubt some of the martial arts sets from Fu Ju stilled remained however, new ones were added by Jue Yuan, who according to our tradition, traveled around training with different people and added these to Shaolin's repertoire. In addition to these, were those that were restored and/or revamped by Bai Yu Feng plus new sets developed by Bai . Basically I would say that the Shaolin sets from Jue Yuan/Bai Yu Feng lineage would not be a identical or parity to those of Fu Ju time.

IMO the traditional sets being practiced at Shaolin today are largely the result of the same kind of 'reconstruction' in terms of scale that took place during the time of Fu Ju and again during the time of Jue Yuan/Bai Yu Feng. All these reconstructions' mirrored the political and economic fortunes of Shaolin and North China in general.

r.

ghostexorcist
11-08-2007, 09:59 AM
I have always wanted to see the Shaolin list of the 18 masters. Where did you find it? Thanks for posting it. I don't ever recall reading that Lin Chong had a nephew. Are you talking about something from the Water Margin or another separate tale.

Sal Canzonieri
11-08-2007, 08:35 PM
I have always wanted to see the Shaolin list of the 18 masters. Where did you find it? Thanks for posting it. I don't ever recall reading that Lin Chong had a nephew. Are you talking about something from the Water Margin or another separate tale.

The list was in an old 2 volume book about Shaolin that Shi DeGian wrote, in section about Fu Ju.

I'm looking for the reference, but I am mistaken I think, I think it was Lu Junyi's nephew that Lin Chong taught.
The story comes from Northern Mantis books, that were based on the "Shaolin Authentics" and other texts.

There's 3 people on this list that go together, Yang Qing, Lin Chong, and one more person, who I can't seem to remember this name. It would take a while to dig for the info. The 3 are 2 students of Zhou Tong (Yan and Lin) and a student of Lin Chong.

ghostexorcist
11-09-2007, 11:20 AM
There's 3 people on this list that go together, Yang Qing, Lin Chong, and one more person, who I can't seem to remember this name. It would take a while to dig for the info. The 3 are 2 students of Zhou Tong (Yan and Lin) and a student of Lin Chong.

This is a little off topic, but I imagine people interested in the the Water Margin and Zhou Tong would be interested in this thread ...

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48887

I am trying to think which of the people on the list you are thinking of. We are talking about the Shaolin list and not the luohan short strikes list, right?