PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Street fighting

Ng Jit
11-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Living in New Orleans for several years violence tends to occur on a regular basis. I have had to use my skills too many times. I have lost a few and won a few and all over stupid reasons.

First off in a violent situation there is a lot of ego going on, it is important to stay calm and in some situations when my opponents couldn't smell fear they got afraid themselves and more than a few times they have walked away. Do not be c0cky this only promotes aggression.

Secondly I have had the fortune of having a very good teacher who has drilled into me my style so well that it instantly comes out at the right time. Training in forms and no two man exercises doesn't do well in an actually street fight. Sparring also can limit one to not getting power out at the right time. It is good for preparation but not good for an actual fight.

Though most fights are rather slow it seems to go very fast and it is good to have very short responses to your opponent. High Kicks almost never connect, leading with kicks just turns into a dance of two people not committing to the situation. Timing is everything and if you know how to time kicks properly then they are a very valuable weapon. But be sure that you are right LOL....

In every fight I have ever been in I have found that Commitment and focus on the target of nullifying the aggression is the most important thing. This guy wants to hurt you because he for whatever reason can not control himself, this is serious and needs to be met with total focus and skill.

Knowing your art is your highest weapon in a actual violent situation. Everything you need (if you have studied a full system of kung fu or actually any other martial art) should address each type of situation you will encounter. Practice and dedication to your art will win everytime...

Ng Jit

http://www.reddragonkungfu.com