celebrate the triumph over the catholic plot to destroy our governemt

set off the biggest kind of explosive u can
starta huge fire
put an effigy of him
and start hating catholics for a night

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Mano Mano
11-04-2007, 03:18 PM
The tradition is actually older & was originally part of the old Halloween festival the Guy as he is called now was originally a human sacrifice similar to the wicker man.
I remember as a child in the 1960’s taking roasted potatoes out of the embers of the bonfire when the flames had died down. The potatoes were placed in the bottom of the bonfire before it was set alight & by the time the fire had had died down the tetties or potatoes were well cooked. Ah the memories.

golden arhat
11-04-2007, 03:47 PM
The tradition is actually older & was originally part of the old Halloween festival the Guy as he is called now was originally a human sacrifice similar to the wicker man.
I remember as a child in the 1960’s taking roasted potatoes out of the embers of the bonfire when the flames had died down. The potatoes were placed in the bottom of the bonfire before it was set alight & by the time the fire had had died down the tetties or potatoes were well cooked. Ah the memories.

i need an excuse to hate catholics for a day :p

yeah i used to do that back when i lived down in london

sanjuro_ronin
11-05-2007, 05:30 AM
V For Vendetta baby !!:D

doug maverick
11-05-2007, 08:51 AM
i mean bowing down to statues and all. but why would you hate a person for his beliefs why hate catholics, there's a real holiday like that, thats disgusting.

Mano Mano
11-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Personally considering my family is mixed Catholic & Protestant & also a lot of families of my friends as well, as an Anglican I’ve never had any problem.

Doug. it’s not a holiday never has been if you read my earlier post above. The focus was changed to anti-Catholic for political reasons during Stuart times in England. There's no anti-catholic intentions anymore. Everyone Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox Christians, Hindu & Muslims all take part in the bonfire traditions these days.

Mr Punch
11-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Yeah, Doug, what he said.

It was part of the Hallowe'en (Samhain/Sannuvn) traditions to have a fire on the last day of summer/first day of winter (Oct 31st/Nov 1st) to mark the last of the hot days and clear out the diseased plants and animals (whether humans were ever sacrificed except maybe in the worst of times is a matter for speculation - most Celtic cultures seemed to use the disabled as fire watchers, animal keepers, watchmen and in other village-based functions) that were of no use over the long hard winter. There is evidence that it was a tradition at least as old as the Celts in Britain: i.e. since 600 BC.

The early Christians a thousand years later took the Pope's advice in trying to assimilate older traditions rather than stamp them out (hence Hallowe'en's change of focus from a festival to celebrate the spirit world and human world getting closer - the other day this happened was Mayday at the beginning of the summer - and the spirits of your ancestors coming back to your hearth, to a day when bad spirits who couldn't get into heaven came back to earth), but in keeping with jointly evil Protestant and Catholic persecution traditions later the Protestants finally broke Hallowe'en's power (and the power of the Catholic Celts) by attributing another reason to celebrate in Guy Fawkes' plot to destroy Parliament.

Nowadays, as Mano says, it's all fun and games, and with Diwali and Eid around the same time the festivities continue in a multifaith and no-faith manner for days.

Except me n Fred, cos we hate the left-footers! :D LOL j/k

golden arhat
11-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Yeah, Doug, what he said.

It was part of the Hallowe'en (Samhain/Sannuvn) traditions to have a fire on the last day of summer/first day of winter (Oct 31st/Nov 1st) to mark the last of the hot days and clear out the diseased plants and animals (whether humans were ever sacrificed except maybe in the worst of times is a matter for speculation - most Celtic cultures seemed to use the disabled as fire watchers, animal keepers, watchmen and in other village-based functions) that were of no use over the long hard winter. There is evidence that it was a tradition at least as old as the Celts in Britain: i.e. since 600 BC.

The early Christians a thousand years later took the Pope's advice in trying to assimilate older traditions rather than stamp them out (hence Hallowe'en's change of focus from a festival to celebrate the spirit world and human world getting closer - the other day this happened was Mayday at the beginning of the summer - and the spirits of your ancestors coming back to your hearth, to a day when bad spirits who couldn't get into heaven came back to earth), but in keeping with jointly evil Protestant and Catholic persecution traditions later the Protestants finally broke Hallowe'en's power (and the power of the Catholic Celts) by attributing another reason to celebrate in Guy Fawkes' plot to destroy Parliament.

Nowadays, as Mano says, it's all fun and games, and with Diwali and Eid around the same time the festivities continue in a multifaith and no-faith manner for days.

Except me n Fred, cos we hate the left-footers! :D LOL j/k

oh aye those **** cups :D

LOL

Mas Judt
11-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Yeah, you've got to compensate for being serfs anyways... :p

Mr Punch
11-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Nonsense, we have a healthy history of revolution and revolt: checks and balances. That's why we don't accept a fully armed police force: that way they really know who's boss.

'Sides, you really think you're any freer? It's just your illusion-makers are better! D@mn the guys who copied your Bill of Rights from ours and wrote the Constitution did a good job for freedom, and you've just given it up ever since then! :D

But hey, this is a Bonfire Party thread - let's keep the politics out of it... ;) (or bring it on...!? :mad: :D )

Mano Mano
11-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Unlike our mainland neighbour’s on continental Europe wev’e never needed laws to tell us what we can do, only the nasty one’s that tell us what we can can’t do.