PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Mook Jong

KPM
11-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Hey Guys!

Does anyone have any experience and input in regards to the "Warrior" Mook Jong?

http://www.thewarrior.com/warriors/phase1.htm

It looks attractive to me because I have a garage work-out area where space is a premium. This Jong has a unique free-standing base. I like the idea that I could shift it around out of the way when needed.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Keith

LoneTiger108
11-05-2007, 06:14 AM
Looks like these guys are taking out the UK run competition! Very similar to the Immortal design, which is hard to get hold of these days...

http://www.immortal.co.uk/immortal-dummies.asp

I have to say that I prefer the old 'wooden feel', but many of these modern pieces make superb weaponry aids.

KPM
11-09-2007, 02:29 AM
You mean no one here has worked on one of these puppies!?

Keith

Phil Redmond
11-09-2007, 03:19 AM
Those padded Warrior dummies are amazing. I left one at the school in Detroit. I love it because you can strike it full power with elbows, knees, and punches. I plan on getting another one when I go to Toronto where they're made.

sanjuro_ronin
11-09-2007, 05:27 AM
Those padded Warrior dummies are amazing. I left one at the school in Detroit. I love it because you can strike it full power with elbows, knees, and punches. I plan on getting another one when I go to Toronto where they're made.

I've been contempalting getting one but haven't been able to talk to anyone that hits the **** thing full force, Let me know when you are in my area, we'll get together and chat.
How would you review the warrior dummy Phil ?

LoneTiger108
11-09-2007, 05:35 AM
I nknow I've already put a plug in for Immortal, but my favourite supplier in the UK is Pagoda. I've met the owners a few times now and they have been through the wars with their design and delivery system but they generally really care about their products and I believe they deliver to the US also.

Quite reasonably priced too, and the old 'Koo Sang' design if I'm not mistaken...

http://www.pagodaimports.co.uk/

Sihing73
11-09-2007, 10:03 AM

Hi Phil,

Then I can expect the return of my dummy?????????

kf160
11-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Can I have thoughts on Muk Jong Kong free standing tripod leg dummy (http://www.woodendummy.net/mukjongkong/home.shtml)
Apparently this company make amazing dummies but im not sure how stable the tripod legs would be

Hendrik
11-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Good for mobility and distance simple strikes...etc drill

For me it is limited for the training because the based of these type of dummy mostly block the way of the foot work.

IE: Cant get close enough for close body. Cant get proper "step in" foot work to issue Jing... basically cant give as "real" position as real life.... IMHO

kf160
11-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks, Thats what I thought! Not much use if you can do your foot work, thats the whole point!

k gledhill
11-09-2007, 05:15 PM
If the height cant be adjusted to train your elbow levels as SLT its a waste of time a fixed height dummy is bad, unless you have an adustable floor :D ......the arms need to be level as well, very important both points are followed or all your previous training goes out the door...;) you end up offering extending 'levers' rather thana unfied structure attacking in rotation, while keeping elbows n arms working the idea ....attack

Phil Redmond
11-09-2007, 06:09 PM
I've been contempalting getting one but haven't been able to talk to anyone that hits the **** thing full force, Let me know when you are in my area, we'll get together and chat.
How would you review the warrior dummy Phil ?
Where in Ontario are you? I'll be doing a seminar at Sifu Ryan Kennedy's school in TO Dec. 1. He has two warrior dummies there.
Phil

Phil Redmond
11-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Hi Phil,

Then I can expect the return of my dummy?????????
Haha, all purchases are final . . . lol
Phil

Sihing73
11-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Haha, all purchases are final . . . lol
Phil

Hello Phil,

Look over your shoulder from time to time. Sooner or later I'll be behind you :eek:

KPM
11-09-2007, 11:09 PM

Thanks for the feedback Phil. That's what I was hoping someone would be able to tell me! :)

Vajramusti
11-11-2007, 07:00 AM
Good for mobility and distance simple strikes...etc drill

For me it is limited for the training because the based of these type of dummy mostly block the way of the foot work.

IE: Cant get close enough for close body. Cant get proper "step in" foot work to issue Jing... basically cant give as "real" position as real life.... IMHO
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disagree with you Hendrik. I am not referring to working with live people which is very important. But the dummy provides important development work. There is plenty of important footwork, structure maintenance and adjustment and issuing and releasing different kinds of power with minimal tension..

joy chaudhuri

kf160
11-11-2007, 01:16 PM
I may be wrong but i think hendrik is referring to the tripod dummy that i asked about, not wooden dummies in general

Phil Redmond
11-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the feedback Phil. That's what I was hoping someone would be able to tell me! :)

You're welcome Capt. or have you been promoted since?
Phil

KPM
11-12-2007, 12:23 AM
You're welcome Capt. or have you been promoted since?
Phil

I am now CPT(P) and will pin on Major in May.

sanjuro_ronin
11-12-2007, 05:40 AM
Where in Ontario are you? I'll be doing a seminar at Sifu Ryan Kennedy's school in TO Dec. 1. He has two warrior dummies there.
Phil

Gottcha.
I am in Brampton/Mississuaga areas, just West of Toronto.

g-bells
11-12-2007, 10:35 PM

i made my own , alot cheaper, plus there are numerous sites that give you step by step details on how to if your not to handy

Phil Redmond
11-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Gottcha.
I am in Brampton/Mississuaga areas, just West of Toronto.
I used to hang out in Brampton and have a student there. I also used to visit Augustine Ngu who has a school and martial arts store in Mississuaga. I'm a member of the ACA (Association of Chinese Americans), and we bought some Lions, drums, and cymbals from his store. I know a little about the GTA ;)
We have to get together so I can dispell the WC sucks idea.
Phil

Phil Redmond
11-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Congrats in advance Sir.
Phil

KPM
11-12-2007, 10:56 PM
i made my own , alot cheaper, plus there are numerous sites that give you step by step details on how to if your not to handy

I have made my own in the past as well. What the Warrior Mook Jong offers that is hard to duplicate is the free-standing base that makes it more portable and the padding of the entire trunk.

g-bells
11-12-2007, 11:31 PM
I have made my own in the past as well. What the Warrior Mook Jong offers that is hard to duplicate is the free-standing base that makes it more portable and the padding of the entire trunk.

portability, you got me there, but for padding, you could go to a carpet store and ask if they have any left over padding or get some canvas and fill it with mung beans, just trying to help:o