PDA

View Full Version : A question for real fighters

DragonzRage
09-06-2000, 11:44 PM
Hey guys. I was wondering if I could get your perspectives on a certain problem I can't seem to get over in my training. I'm a pretty small guy (5'8" 155 lbs) but I love to move around fast and strike. My problem is that I can't seem to effectively outstrike bigger guys with longer reach who are near or above my skill level. I try to move in and out quickly, link low kicks and high punches and I throw a lot of straight leads. But whatever I do i always seem to get overwhelmed by the bigger boys. I especially have lots of trouble dealing with counter punches from their long reach.

So for those of you here who are experienced with full contact training/fighting (you know who you are) i was wondering if you had any general strategies or things to keep in mind that might help me out with my dilemma. Thanx in advance.

~Max

Black Jack
09-07-2000, 12:20 AM
Hi DragonzRage

I am a pretty short guy myself (5'7" 172lbs) and I know what you are talking about. They have that range advantage and can put it to good use in the kickboxing range.

Have you tried using any outside angles to your advantage or are you a inside line fighter?

When I keep to the outside angles I find that I am at a much better position with the big fellows to evade a counterattack or to press my own strikes...it is hard to always be on the outside line of attack but it does seem to help...as for the kicks it is always a good idea to keep them lowline as we are short and can use this to our own advantage.

Another simple thought which you already know is to make sure you get your strikes out faster than they went in so you can have time to evade there massive reach.

Do you work with destructions? Guntings or Elbow Sheilds are a great way to use your speed when being pressed hard by those giants.

Regards

LEGEND
09-08-2000, 10:51 PM
DRAGON...try punching or kicking their limbs when coming in...I had this problem while kickboxing and my WING CHUN SIFU told me to hit da limbs when you come in...what result is a PAK SAO effect...you will not damage them with the hits to the shin or forearm but they will not be able to tag you...I know its hard to do especially when you're condition to go to da head or bottle but try a drill then use it in sparring!

LEGEND
09-08-2000, 10:54 PM
DRAGON also try to use your footwork to get wayyyyyyyyy to the side avoiding the right cross...hope ya not sparring south paw fighters! That way you negate their power arm...since it's sparring they'll figure away out...but in a real fight...an opponent power arm( RIGHT CROSS/RIGHT HAYMAKER ) will not be a factor if you master this!!!

Nismo
09-09-2000, 08:59 AM
Being a tall person, I know that we tall have brittle wrists/ankles. The best counter against us is to break our wrists and ankles. if you can get our ankles, we're toast. We can't move such weight around with broken ankles. Broken wrists means no punching, but we can still kick. The moral of the story, break dem bones.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Animenigma /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Dragon Spirit
09-13-2000, 05:17 AM
DragonzRage whats up pal I think I may be able to give you some advice.

As far as hard contact sparring goes I like to consider my self a pro. I have been in many many many sparring matches over the past 5 years where there are no rules and no gear. I have faught a variety of different fighters so heres my advice to you.

You have been going about it the right way, move in and out quickly with different combinations, attack in and out mix up your offense and be totally unpredictable. But heres a little trick I picked up against our larger fighters... because I am just like you in the sense that I am smaller. Defense is your greatest offense, let these giant fools come to you and counter attack, parry or whatever the sitation calls for. But let them come to you and they will make there own mistakes!! Good luck my friend I hope I helped you out!!!

-The Dragon-

HAMMERFIST
09-16-2000, 12:43 AM
Learn some wrestling/grappling, then shoot the legs low. Like Animenigma said break the ankles. But to get there under the reach, you need to shoot low. Sparring is nice & all, but if your training to eventually handle a street situtation where you want to get it over with quickly, you need to train to get it over with quickly. Are you gonna attempt to go toe to toe with a long guy and HOPE you can figure him out. Try it. Next time your sparring, as soon as you begin and get in a reasonable range, shoot low-grab his foot or ankle, shoulder but the knee and keep driving forward. Don't worry about the lock afterwards, just do it to see how surprised he/she is once they are on the ground.

Those pine boards had it commin to them-besides, I'm not allowed to hit real people!!!