PDA

View Full Version : "Ng Fa Kau Da" (Five Flowers Trapping Strike)

Lama Pai Sifu
11-05-2007, 01:53 PM
I asked this question on the Dino S. thread, but it got deleted.

Are there any CLF people that are familiar with this movement? It is comprised of several techniques...

Just curious, I've seen other CLF styles do 2-3 moves of the 5, but not all together.

Since my Sifu, Chan Tai-San had many different CLF teachers, I couldn't tell you what branch it is supposed to be from.

CLFNole
11-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Lama:

I posted on the prior thread about this.

Personally I have never heard the phrase "ng fa kau da" but I will ask my sifu if he has heard of it.

Do you know the names of the five techniques it is comprised of?

Is it something that is supposed to be done in sequence or 5 techniques seen in a set? Any other insight on this?

Peace.

Lama Pai Sifu
11-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Yes, it's 5 techniques done in sequence.

It's techniques (no particular order) Siu Kau Da, Jyu Geng Pao Choih, Faan Gok Choih and Chaap Choih. Jyu Geng Pao and Chaap Choih are repeated once in the sequence. Siu Kau Da set's up the final Chaap Choih.

CLFNole
11-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Do you have this in one of your sets? Perhaps it is unique to CTS's teachings?

Lama Pai Sifu
11-05-2007, 02:38 PM
It's seen in several sets of ours; both as a series of 5 moves and several variations of it. I've seen variations in other CLF styles such as Chaap Choih, Jyu Geng Pao Choih and Chaap Choih. In this case, all done with the same hand (right).

CLFNole
11-05-2007, 02:45 PM
The "Jyu Geng Pao Choih " is that an uppercut strike? We use faan jong choy but I know others use pow choy.

lkfmdc
11-05-2007, 02:53 PM
I've seen the individual movements obviously in a lot of places, the particular combo that CTS used to do under the name "ng fah kau da" I haven't seen in any CLF....

strange as it sounds, I think it may have come into being because CTS did both CLF and Lama... ie Lama's "Chat Sing Lin waan" maybe have inspired said "ng fah kau da"

Lama Pai Sifu
11-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Quite Possible. CLF people do use the chaap and pao choih combo though. Ng Fa adds Faahn Gok and Siu Kau Da...

CLFNole
11-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Yeah your right, we have a combo of faan jong (R), cum jeurng (L) & chop choy (R). They are not all done with the same hand though.

Ben Gash
11-08-2007, 05:12 AM
What's Faan Gok Chui? The typical CLF refrain combo is the "big pass" which goes Gwa Chui, Kum Sau, Chin Ji, Biu Jong, Chuin Nau, Poon kiu, Tsop Chui.

Lama Pai Sifu
11-08-2007, 05:32 AM
What's Faan Gok Chui? The typical CLF refrain combo is the "big pass" which goes Gwa Chui, Kum Sau, Chin Ji, Biu Jong, Chuin Nau, Poon kiu, Tsop Chui.

Gok Choih is what we call a "Horn" or Hook Punch.

"Faan" is to invert; when we turn the fist over and change the angle of the technique.

"Faan Gok Choih" is a hook punch, but instead of it riding along a horizontal plane, it rides along a vertical plane. I'll shoot some video of it and post it up in a day or two.

CLFNole
11-08-2007, 07:13 AM
We call that Lam Choy. Do you hit with the knuckles where the fingers connect with the hand?

Lama Pai Sifu
11-08-2007, 07:23 AM
We try to...but if you've got a hard enough fist, there are a few different parts of the hand that could cause damage. Optimally, yes, hitting with the main knuckles would be best, but I don't really believe that you can be that accurate all the time.

Lama Pai Sifu
11-08-2007, 07:23 AM
We call that Lam Choy. Do you hit with the knuckles where the fingers connect with the hand?

What is the "Lam" in your Lam Choih?

CLFNole
11-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Do you mean what character? If so I would have to check, I just know when we do it in a set when we practice together he calls it lam choy.

mok
11-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Lama Pai sifu - qq: do you guys do the horn punch fist pointing up (thumb in or up like a regular hook) or upside-down (thumb pointing down), or both?

CLFNole
11-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Lama:

The "lam" in our lam choy means "to hug" so I think it represents the motion involved in hugging, kind of coming around like a hook type motion.

Lama Pai Sifu
11-09-2007, 03:51 PM
I see.

And the hugging...is that what hurts the opponent??

Just kidding. I'm sure you guys do it the same way we do.

My teacher also used some terminology that I have found different from other CLF people. In fact,..it doesn't really matter what you call it, as long as it works, right??