PDA

View Full Version : supplements and training?

SevenStar
11-05-2007, 03:06 PM
how many of you -both competitive and non - use supplements of any kind? if you do use them, what specifically do you use them for?

Mr Punch
11-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Whey protein, 20-48 g/day
Amino acids
Fish oils.

For a healthy shiny coat and a shiny nose.

xcakid
11-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Whey Protein
Creatine
NOX

I compete, but given my various ailments due to old age, I only do continious sparring and forms. No more San Shou/San Da. Was never any good at it anyways.

bodhitree
11-06-2007, 05:10 AM
I use:

Multivitamin
custom protein formula from true protein.com (purpose is post work out recovery):

Custom Mix + FORMULA
Hydrolyzed Whey Protein High Grade 30%
Whey Protein Isolate Cold-Filtration 10%
Dextrose 25%
Maltodextrin 25%
Creatine Monohydrate Powder 5%
Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA's) 5%

+ Premium French Vanilla Cream $0.75/
+ Sucralose (Splenda) /
+ **Plain** /
+ FREE Food Grade Bag /
muscle milk
glucosamine/chondroitin/msm

I also add flax seeds to everything (eg cereal, yogurt) for omega 3's

golden arhat
11-06-2007, 05:15 AM
i use soya based protein powder

bodhitree
11-06-2007, 05:17 AM
i use soya based protein powder

hello estrogen,
why?

golden arhat
11-06-2007, 05:22 AM
hello estrogen,
why?

it tastes of chocolate

hmm is it normal to have 2 periods in one month ? :confused::eek::D

haha

bodhitree
11-06-2007, 05:25 AM
it tastes of chocolate

hmm is it normal to have 2 periods in one month ? :confused::eek::D

haha

seriously though there are probably better options, like whey or casein (depending on when you use the protein). soy is seriously inferior, does not contain all essential amino acids, and has plant estrogens, which post workout you'd probably want to avoid. oh, and for post work out whey is more quickly digested.

golden arhat
11-06-2007, 05:32 AM
seriously though there are probably better options, like whey or casein (depending on when you use the protein). soy is seriously inferior, does not contain all essential amino acids, and has plant estrogens, which post workout you'd probably want to avoid. oh, and for post work out whey is more quickly digested.

yeah i'l try it out

i really just looked at it and it said protein on it so i thought "hey thats got protein in it i should eat that "

Black Jack II
11-06-2007, 09:04 AM
1. Whey Protein: Right now I am using the Gaspari IntraPro blend.

Total Daily Protein=1.5 gram per lb of body weight.

2. BCAA'S

3. L-Glutamine

4. New Chapter multivitamin

5. Nordic Natural Cod Liver Oil

6. CQ-10

7. Blueberry Concentrate

8. SAME

9. Vit. C

10. Cal Mag

11. Kyolic Garlic

Takuan
11-06-2007, 09:17 AM
ON Whey, has all my EAA's BCAA's Glutamine etc. in it
Fish Oil
Flax Seed Oil
Vitamin
Co-q-10
Controlled Labs Green MAGnitude (creatine matrix)

bawang
11-06-2007, 09:20 AM
erm, has anyone tried lamb and cow testicles? it's a traditional dish in china, mongolia, middle east.
they sell them at supermarkets. it makes you feel aggresive, especially if you drink the soup from it. i think it's because of the testosterone in it.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-06-2007, 09:28 AM
11. Kyolic Garlic

Reply]
Why Don't you just eat a lot of Italian food? Then you can be immune to Vampires like we are.

Black Jack II
11-06-2007, 09:32 AM
ON Whey, has all my EAA's BCAA's Glutamine etc. in it

ON is a decent product, I like their Natural whey product actually, but in my view you need a good deal of BCAA's, they are the founding fathers of muscle and tissue repair.

I use Xtend.

Lucas
11-06-2007, 10:32 AM
I dont use any suppliments, never have.

What do you guys think about that? Should I try some out?

Is there a big difference?

sanjuro_ronin
11-06-2007, 10:42 AM
My supplements are as follows:

T-bone steak
Sirloin Steak
Prime Rib
Rack of Lamb
Heineken
Chianti
Remy Martin XO
Taylor Fladgate 20 year old.

SevenStar
11-08-2007, 10:18 AM
ttt:eek::cool::D

Pork Chop
11-08-2007, 11:01 AM
The supplementation I've been on lately:
ZMA
CLA
Strong multivitamin
Protein shakes
Joint health supplement (Glucosamine & condroitin)
occasional creatine + l-glutamine
aspirin before bed

For me, it makes all the difference in the world and allows me to maintain a rigorous schedule.

I put down that I don't compete eventhough that's my goal once life stuff gets sorted out.

Know Stile
11-08-2007, 12:20 PM

If you're worried about plant estrogens, flax is loaded with them. I personally think worrying about phyto-estrogens is bunk, and some say that they block your bodies own estrogens at the receptor sites, thus doing good things for you. I've never seen a tofu eating vegetarian with bich tits, but plenty of meat eaters.

stonewarrior67
11-08-2007, 03:34 PM
I Like The First Five Of Sanjuro Ronins List! Mmmmm-mmmmm
I Personally Use Beverly Products. They Are Worth The Extra Money And If You Can Get To The Arnold Classic To Stock Up For A Year It's Really Cheap.
I Use Their Multivitamin, Protien And Joint Care. Need The Joint Care! Really Need It!
Sw

Vash
11-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Protein - Biotest Grow! and Metabolic Drive; Calories, protein for muscle repair, general health

Post Workout - Biotest Surge; recovery, keeps me from getting hungry when I work out.

Fish Oil - Flameout; healthy skin, joints, general health

Glucosamine - Joint health

Biotest Beta7 - Beta Alinine; endurance, improved training quality

ZMA - Improved sleep

Creatine - Improved strength-endurance, recovery

For me, there is a HUGE difference when supplementing than when not.

Usage though presumes diet and recovery modes are in order.

Knifefighter
11-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Supplements are probably one of the biggest rip-offs ever hoisted on the consumer.

Mr Punch
11-10-2007, 02:53 AM
The ability of the human body to absorb fish oils over the age of late-twenties/early thirties is drastically reduced. The need for them is increased.

So,in the very least the fish oils and some means of facilitating absorption are pretty necessary I'd have thought.

The argument for high-dosing amino acids seems fairly convincing too.

I can see many are cons, but why are you quite so against all sups?

Knifefighter
11-10-2007, 12:14 PM
The ability of the human body to absorb fish oils over the age of late-twenties/early thirties is drastically reduced. The need for them is increased.

So,in the very least the fish oils and some means of facilitating absorption are pretty necessary I'd have thought.

The argument for high-dosing amino acids seems fairly convincing too.

I can see many are cons, but why are you quite so against all sups?

Most supplements are, at the best, pretty much a waste of money. The supplement industry, at least in the U.S., is compeletly unregulated and you have no way of knowing what is really in any supplement.

I've known people who owned supplement companies and I could tell you some unbelievable stuff about what goes into supplements. For example, an Orange County, CA couple are now serving prison terms for putting addictive substances into their supplements.

In many instances, what was originally thought to be a good thing (i.e. megadoses of Vit C, E, beta carotene), turned out to be the opposite.

The best bet is to spend your time and money focusing on a healthy diet.

Talk to almost any nutritionist who has at least a B.S. in nutrition and he or she will tell you pretty much the same thing.

Pork Chop
11-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Supplements are probably one of the biggest rip-offs ever hoisted on the consumer.

psychosomatic or not, they help me out.

SevenStar
11-14-2007, 09:30 AM
Most supplements are, at the best, pretty much a waste of money. The supplement industry, at least in the U.S., is compeletly unregulated and you have no way of knowing what is really in any supplement.

I've known people who owned supplement companies and I could tell you some unbelievable stuff about what goes into supplements. For example, an Orange County, CA couple are now serving prison terms for putting addictive substances into their supplements.

In many instances, what was originally thought to be a good thing (i.e. megadoses of Vit C, E, beta carotene), turned out to be the opposite.

The best bet is to spend your time and money focusing on a healthy diet.

Talk to almost any nutritionist who has at least a B.S. in nutrition and he or she will tell you pretty much the same thing.

you said MOST of them... which ones don't you feel are a waste of money?

onehawaiian
12-08-2007, 04:31 AM
i am a supplement junkie.
too many to list.
main staple would be:
joint supps (cissus, glucosamine, etc)
e/c stack (ephedrine and caffeine)
select prohormones when lifting hard.