PDA

View Full Version : I am soooo confused........

VenomMan
09-11-2000, 04:05 AM
Ok. I have a real problem, out of all the great martial arts, I do not know which to pick, where I live I can take Tae Kwon do, Karate, Kung Fu(I think), jujitsu, and kickboxing.....and I watch all these great movies ie. fists of fury,,, and I want to take something where I learn balance, and great form(I dont like kickboxing form)... and I want to be able to block everything, defence is key. I was looking towards tae kwon do,,, but im not sure. Can someone help me out.

Thanks

Scott
09-11-2000, 09:55 AM
If you are interesting in a more defensive art, definetly go for a southern form of Kung Fu. Wing Chun, Hung Gar, Southern Dragon Style (never seen it but I'm told its similar to Wing Chun,) White Eyebrow.

There is no truely defensive martial art. I practice Wing Chun, and it has only 3 or 4 opening attacks, the rest are counters and traps and that sort of thing. Here is my Sifu's mentality behind Wing Chun fighting.

You never ever hit first in a fight. However, the first attack does not have to be a physical attack. If your opponent verbally threatens you, that is his first attack. Don't let him tell you how he's going to kick your ass, then prove it. After he has struck his first (verbal) blow, you attack. Don't let him attack verbally and then physically, because that is two attacks in a row.

There are only 3 or 4 opening attacks in Wing Chun, and most of those are survival attacks. Then again, you only need 3 or 4 opening attacks, in my opinion. If you hit him with the first one, you don't even need to use Wing Chun. Its not until he hits back or blocks that the Kung Fu comes into play.

Assuming that Kung Fu/Wing Chun is not on your list, I would go for Jujitsu. In my experience it sounds like some cool sh*t. Many many pins and holds. In my opinion, Brazilian Jujitsu and any other groundfighting works VERY well on 1 opponent, probably better than any chinese style (kung fu.) But, there is a downside. You will basically NEVER see a Kung Fu fighter go to the ground intentionally in a fight, because Kung Fu takes into effect that there may very well be 2 or 3 people against you. If you're on the ground and the person you're fighting has a friend, you're royally screwed. He'll just stomp on your head while you're doing the hold on his friend.

Just my humble opinion

- Scott.

Scott
09-11-2000, 09:58 AM
Another little addition, because I was once faced with a similar problem.. I am a bit hesitant towards Tae Kwon Do. In my opinion it has been diluted alot be sport, and has basically become a sport more than an efficient martial art. It is very pretty, though. Kick boxing seems to not be your thing, so I wouldn't gear towards that. There is definetly a mind - set you must have to be a kick boxer, and I don't really have it either.

Karate to me is a step above Tae kwon Do, partially because though it is still diluted as a sporting event, there are alot more hand techniques. Kicking is generally less efficient in a fight, especially high kicks.

I have met alot of Karate people.. 90% of them sucked. But there are a few Karate people who are purely amazing fighters, so the potential is definetly there. There is less forced discipline and training in Karate classes (at least in south Texas here,) so alot of the great fighter must come from the student.

- Scott

flavour54
09-17-2000, 04:57 PM
3 or 4 opening attacks?????????????????
You need a better Sifu.

"take the pebble from my hand"The old monk from the TV show"Kung Fu"

"I just go at it as best I can"
Benny the Legend.