PDA

View Full Version : Side Kicks stomping on the knee.

diego
11-05-2007, 09:53 PM
How effective are they?.

Hop Gar, Choy Lay Fut, and Hung Gar have them, but I have never seen any Mauy Thai Kickboxers or UFC MMA's use them, and God forbid Ihope no one annoys me to the point where I have to use one... Anyone used one before?.

lkfmdc
11-05-2007, 10:08 PM
They are vastly over rated......

They were (and are) legal in san shou/san da. The Chinese team used them a lot in early world championships (almost exclusively it seemed at the 2nd worlds in Kuala Lampur.... not a single match was ended as a result of a side kick to the knee... people got injured enough that later they had to rehab, etc.. so it was a nuisance and not very "sporting" but as an effective self defense weapon? Again, it didn't stop a single person from fighting/finishing a match

hskwarrior
11-05-2007, 10:29 PM
the side kick to the knee is still a good technique, just not a finisher. I mean under the right circumstances it can snap a leg......but only if the cards are in your favor.

i'd use the knee kick as a counter to something, to take his attention from what he was doing or attempting to do to feeling the pain in his knee. then you can do whatever comes next.

but if you focus on it as a finishing strike, i wouldn't. but it's cool if you would.

lkfmdc
11-05-2007, 10:32 PM
the side kick to the knee is still a good technique, just not a finisher. I mean under the right circumstances it can snap a leg......but only if the cards are in your favor.

i'd use the knee kick as a counter to something, to take his attention from what he was doing or attempting to do to feeling the pain in his knee. then you can do whatever comes next.

but if you focus on it as a finishing strike, i wouldn't. but it's cool if you would.

yeah, I agree, if you understand it isn't a finisher, it has uses. It is an "obstruction" (as Bruce Lee called it). It can be used to clinch (as the Gracie family uses it), it can distract

Just don't think yo uare gonna snap a leg like a twig with it, you'll be in for an unpleasant surprise

hskwarrior
11-05-2007, 10:34 PM
100% agreed.

hskwarrior
11-05-2007, 10:37 PM
as with any kick......you'd want to be careful........or this can happen to you!!!:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHKfslaMXuk

hskwarrior
11-05-2007, 10:46 PM
but you CAN use the sidekick to the knee if you put your weight behind it and stay with it, you can sorta drive his knee towards to floor, perhaps leading into something else.

diego
11-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the replies Dave and Frank...I guess the answer was in my forms. Everything My step dad showed me about Kaido's Hop Gar fighting tactics has the kick as a set up to ram him with a forward stance and strike technique.:)

diego
11-06-2007, 05:50 PM
how does one avoid breaking their leg doing a orund shin kick to the shin like in that vid frank linked?...ouch

sanjuro_ronin
11-07-2007, 05:45 AM
In Bassai Dai ( I think), there is a technique that shows one of the few times that a side kick (stomp) to the knee will work and its off a grab.
Control and then strike, you need to reduce his chances of moving, decrease his mobility before/during the kick.

Ben Gash
11-07-2007, 08:11 AM
The guy's kicking upwards, and hitting with the weakest plane of his shin, which is why it breaks. If he'd kept a flatter or downwards angle, not caught with the inside of his shin, and looked where he was kicking, it wouldn't have happened.

Ben Gash
11-07-2007, 08:12 AM
In Bassai Dai ( I think), there is a technique that shows one of the few times that a side kick (stomp) to the knee will work and its off a grab.
Control and then strike, you need to reduce his chances of moving, decrease his mobility before/during the kick.

This is true, it's most effective against a loaded leg, so you neeed to engineer a situation where this happens.

Drake
11-07-2007, 08:53 AM
I've had side kicks to the knee work, and I've had them NOT work.

The times where they didn't work, and the subsequent results, were enough to persuade me not to continue using them. :(

Shaolindynasty
11-07-2007, 11:07 AM
We use the low side kick and the low front kick as a jamming technique to stop the opponents advance. So we can then follow up with hand techniques. The low front and side are decided upon depending on the position of the opponent.

Jim Anestasi
11-07-2007, 12:45 PM
I thought I jump in here with a Hung Ga Stomp,I have found this technique to be quite useful over many years,The side kick to the knee is also good in certain situations,Like hitting on inside or outside or if you can time it right straight on.
The Hung Ga stomp Is really powerful to hit any where on the leg if you know how to use it right. The foot is vulnerable to it as you trap the foot if not breaking bones with in,This gets your enemy off balance then knocking him down.Just my two cents
Sifu Jim:D

hskwarrior
11-07-2007, 02:40 PM
We use the low side kick and the low front kick as a jamming technique to stop the opponents advance. So we can then follow up with hand techniques. The low front and side are decided upon depending on the position of the opponent.- Shaolin Dynasty

thats exactly how we use it.....just like that.....amongst some other ways.

naja
11-10-2007, 08:31 AM
So if you're in a situation that you want to end quickly by, say, tearing the opponents ACL, then how would you go about doing it with a kick?

diego
11-10-2007, 01:57 PM
So if you're in a situation that you want to end quickly by, say, tearing the opponents ACL, then how would you go about doing it with a kick?

kick his leg for like a month?

you can't just pop the acl can you? i thought it wears out over time from improper posture.

naja
11-10-2007, 06:04 PM
kick his leg for like a month?

you can't just pop the acl can you? i thought it wears out over time from improper posture.

Yes, you can pop it. Here's a quote from the following site...

"Non-sport related injuries to the ACL result from similar contact and non-contact stresses on the ligament. Examples vary from being struck on the outer side of the knee to landing on the knee forcing it into an over-straightened position with the knee turned inward."

http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/acltears/ACL_causes.html

diego
11-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Yes, you can pop it. Here's a quote from the following site...

"Non-sport related injuries to the ACL result from similar contact and non-contact stresses on the ligament. Examples vary from being struck on the outer side of the knee to landing on the knee forcing it into an over-straightened position with the knee turned inward."

http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/acltears/ACL_causes.html
NICE!!!!!!:D

baifupai
11-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Side kicks to the knee can be effective, but taking a lesson or two of amatomy wouldn't hurt in order to learn how to do the most damage. In fact, the same could be said for any technique. Learning how the joint is supposed to be, for example, then using your kick to make it do the opposite would maximise damage. it also depends on how you throw your side kick. If you do the kind of side kicks common in point fighting, where the force of throwing the kick sometimes drives the person WHO THREW IT back on impact..the effect will be minimal. To be a finisher the side kick would need all your body weight behind it, and as much momentum as you can possibly gather. This brings in another problem - to execute this kind of technique (where if you miss/the technique fails you will be very vulnerable), you need to have "earned the right" to preform it, i.e have the person dazed and you out of the way of their centreline. To conlcude also any technique could be "effective" on the street, but you have to use your sense and MAKE it work, not just throw it at random.

hskwarrior
11-12-2007, 03:15 PM
nah, we didn't need to learn anatomy in our school, we explored the various methods of kicking knees. and learned what just doesn't work.

for example, you ever kick a guy in his knee, and just slide down in or bounce off?

exploring it is the most important to me.

baifupai
11-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Well I guess that is learning anatomy though, just in a different way. By kicking you'll have found the best best to strike the joint so that it causes maximum pain/damage/result, same end, different method.
Yeah, that is incredibly annoying. The best time's I found to attack the knee are when you have caused them to jump back quickly, resulting in the front leg being momentarily straightened as they "push-off" the ground to retreat. If you kick at that point, it's just like stamping through a board..his foot on the ground, straight leg and his hip joint as the support. Another good attack is when you have moved away from his center, and you attack the knee about an inch away from the edge of the kneecap at either side with a stamping motion. The main thing to do when setting it up for maximum damage is make sure the knee has nowhere to yield to, so that a break is the outcome of a successful kick. For instance, attacking the back of the leg at the joint, as I have seen done sometimes, succeeds only in making the leg buckle, and attacking the knee dead on can be difficult to execute properly against a moving target.

hskwarrior
11-12-2007, 03:53 PM
the buckling of the leg is important, it takes away the persons focus from what he was doing.

baifupai
11-12-2007, 04:08 PM
It depends what the goal is, as a set-up/to unbalance, yeah it's crucial. but as a broken-leg finisher, not good IMO anyway. I'm only saying what i've found, not trying be play web-sifu lol.