PDA

View Full Version : Quick Bruce/Yip Man question.

Scott
09-11-2000, 09:47 AM
How much did Yip Man's students practice? Like how many hours a day and how many days a week. I'm just curious about comparing the average practice time a week with an instructor with the old and new guys. I only get an average of 2 - 3 hours a week with my instructors, and probably another 3 hours solo practice a week. I am a fairly passive martial artist, though.

- Scott.

vingtsunstudent
09-11-2000, 01:59 PM
hey scott how are you today?
when my sifu was in hong kong it was not unusual for him to train for 16 hrs a day, although he was an exception to the rule, most students however, at wong shun leungs school would at least practice 4-6 hrs 5-6 days a week.
to some it probably sounds like bs but it is the absolute truth & you need only train with my instructor once to know that i am not lying.(1 of the last times my instructor visited hong kong,another sifu in the same lineage named david peterson recieved a letter from the guys in hk wanting to know if he could find out when barry was coming back as he absolutly blew them away with his depth of knowledge not to mention his unbelievable skill)
it is a bit different these days in our school with the most avid students putting in at least 14 hrs class time a week(this is because that is all the classes we have)as well as the time they spend training at home.
i personally am a bit lazier in my old age(also i have an impinged tendon in my left shoulder that slows my chi sao down quite a bit)
good luck with your own training
vts

origenx
09-12-2000, 10:10 PM
16 hrs a day? f*ck! I'm barely awake 16 hrs a day! I train 16 hrs every 2 months!

Scott
09-13-2000, 03:56 AM
Hey VingTsun.. My day was pretty good /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif That does sound like a ton, but my dream is to some day find a school or partner like that and take about a month or two off from life and just practice Wing Chun all day. My kind of vacation.

When you think about the time, its a ton, but our Sifu's probably practice about that. I know my Sifu teaches classes from 10 in the morning to 11 at night 5 days a week. Of course, its in like 8 different martial arts.

- Scott.

vingtsunstudent
09-13-2000, 03:21 PM
hey guys i know what it's like, we once worked out that he did the equivilent of over 100 years of our normal training while he was in hong kong alone(and that was thirty years ago)
wong nick named him 'the machine' & said often said if you get hit by him you don't get up & also that he had perfect hands.
what can i say except the guy is a freak & i am just so lucky that his is the gung fu school i walked into.
vts

origenx
09-13-2000, 10:46 PM
vingtsun - who is this "machine" you're talking about? Barry somebody?

vingtsunstudent
09-14-2000, 09:29 AM
his name is barry lee, if you'd like to read a little more about him check out this link. http://www.vingtsun.net/sifuba~1.html
vts

Slayer
08-26-2001, 10:44 PM
I get atleast 40 hours of pratice a week

LEGEND
08-27-2001, 05:56 AM
Well HK wing chun players are just like any other martial art schools...u had guys that are lazy and u had guys that were fanatics...out of YIP MAN students Hawkin Cheung, William Cheung, Bruce Lee and Wong Shun Leung( the best of the bunch in wing chun ) were the fanatics...supposely Hawkins and Bruce were the youngest and would train like 6 hours a day...William said that he showed Bruce Lee many stuff...Wong Shun had some private with Bruce also. Bruce was kinda shady and very selfish in his younger days...he would purposely run to a group of his classmate...tell the that class was closed and then run to whoever was teaching WONG, YIP or WILLIAM and say hey...I'm the only one willing to learn.

A

jameswebsteruk
08-28-2001, 01:29 PM
Wong Shun Leung did the vast majority of the teaching of Bruce Lee, as he was continued to teach Yip Mans school long after the other top students had gone off to open their own schools or moved away.

The story about Bruce pretending that the class was closed so he could get a private is true, One day Wong found out, and gave him a really bloody chisao session. He didnt do it again.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running
around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." ;)