PDA

View Full Version : Anonymous posters

Phil Redmond
11-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Since Victor made a thread about his gripe here's mine. Though I'm still here I'm, not a fan of anonymous groups/forums that allow anonymous posters.There's just no accountability for what people say. That's why everyone on this group:
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/wckcg/ has to use their real identity plus add a clip of them DOING Wing Chun. This way people won't be so apt to make derrogatory comments about others clips after we've seen theirs. I look at clips of me and I can take them apart too. Maybe I was leaning forward, I landed on my heels, my thumbs weren't packed in, I didn't step offline of the shoot fast enough, etc. So all of us can use some "constructive" criticism. Now like I said before. You don't need to post a clip of you fighting in an MMA match or going all out. People here have different levels of ability and I understand that. Al least let people know who you are and show us where you are with regards to skill. Any troll will be kicked to the curb quick time and in a hurry. I started the group but I don't want to be viewed as some sort of dictator or like I'm trying to convert people to my point of view so I welcome someone to help moderate regarldess of lineage to help keep thing fair. We will be putting up fight clips so that we can work on what what went wrong or right. I hope that those of you who are interested in fighting will come on board. Ok, got to get ready for class.
Peace
Phil

sanjuro_ronin
11-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Since Victor made a thread about his grip here's mine. Though I'm still here I'm, not a fan of anonymous groups/forums that allow anonymous posters.There's just no accountability for what people say. That's why everyone on this group:
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/wckcg/ has to use their real identity plus add a clip of them DOING Wing Chun. This way people won't be so apt to make derrogatory comments about others clips after we've seen theirs. I look at clips of me and I can take them apart too. Maybe I was leaning forward, I landed on my heels, my thumbs weren't packed in, I didn't step offline of the shoot fast enough, etc. So all of us can use some "constructive" criticism. Now like I said before. You don't need to post a clip of you fighting in an MMA match or going all out. People here have different levels of ability and I understand that. Al least let people know who you are and show us where you are with regards to skill. Any troll will be kicked to the curb quick time and in a hurry. I started the group but I don't want to be viewed as some sort of dictator or like I'm trying to convert people to my point of view so I welcome someone to help moderate regarldess of lineage to help keep thing fair. We will be putting up fight clips so that we can work on what what went wrong or right. I hope that those of you who are interested in fighting will come on board. Ok, got to get ready for class.
Peace
Phil

You make a valid critique Phil, but there is almost no way to confirm that person A is who they say they are.
Over on truthmartialarts.org, we have the name policy and it works well to keep the trolls aways and the drama to a minimum, but on the downside, drama is what keeps forums "alive" and we all know that aliveness is the key !
:D

Also, some of the people that are viewed as trolls here have their name and info up or at least people know who they are.

Ultimatewingchun
11-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Have no clue how to sign up for this, Phil. Kept being led around in circles.
Yahoo colors, this? Seals, that?

Gave up on it.

Phil Redmond
11-07-2007, 09:38 AM
You make a valid critique Phil, but there is almost no way to confirm that person A is who they say they are.
Over on truthmartialarts.org, we have the name policy and it works well to keep the trolls aways and the drama to a minimum, but on the downside, drama is what keeps forums "alive" and we all know that aliveness is the key !
:D

Also, some of the people that are viewed as trolls here have their name and info up or at least people know who they are.
Well those "alledged" trolls I can deal with. It's the anonymous ones I was refering to.
I never hear of truthmartialarts.org. Thanks for the info. btw, what's your name. ;)
Phil

sanjuro_ronin
11-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Well those "alledged" trolls I can deal with. It's the anonymous ones I was refering to.
I never hear of truthmartialarts.org. Thanks for the info. btw, what's your name. ;)
Phil

Paul Sacramento.
And the site is www.truthmartialarts.org
And people can be on multiple forums, its good for the yang ;)

Phil Redmond
11-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Paul Sacramento.
And the site is www.truthmartialarts.org
And people can be on multiple forums, its good for the yang ;)
Nice to meet you Paul. I'll check out the forum after class.
Phil

sanjuro_ronin
11-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Nice to meet you Paul.

You too Phil :)

JGTevo
11-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Ya know we've got a Wing Chun group on Myspace that has a small but welcoming group as well, of Wing chun practictioners of various lineages. If anyone wants the link to check it out, just pm me.

Phil Redmond
11-07-2007, 12:40 PM
Ya know we've got a Wing Chun group on Myspace that has a small but welcoming group as well, of Wing chun practictioners of various lineages. If anyone wants the link to check it out, just pm me.
Would I have to be on your friends list for you to email me the link here?: http://www.myspace.com/traditionalwingchun

punchdrunk
11-07-2007, 01:18 PM
i would very respectfully like to offer a different view for anon posting. i have trained very hard and seriously for almost a decade now, not for tourneys but for self defense. i work in an occasionally violent public feild and have always kept my training private. why? because i do not want people to know what to expect, or to have legal problems, or to receive stupid challenges. most witnesses just think i am very agressive and cannot see the diff between styles and intents. i would rather keep it that way. i would really enjoy the 2 forums i know of that require video etc. and i have a lot to offer people interested in self defense with wing chun, but i have chosen annonymity for my own private reasons, and have never used it to troll or challenge. please realize that there are "good" anons out there!

JGTevo
11-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Would I have to be on your friends list for you to email me the link here?: http://www.myspace.com/traditionalwingchun

I sent you the link, Sifu Redmond.

Phil Redmond
11-07-2007, 02:46 PM
i would very respectfully like to offer a different view for anon posting. i have trained very hard and seriously for almost a decade now, not for tourneys but for self defense. i work in an occasionally violent public feild and have always kept my training private. why? because i do not want people to know what to expect, or to have legal problems, or to receive stupid challenges. most witnesses just think i am very agressive and cannot see the diff between styles and intents. i would rather keep it that way. i would really enjoy the 2 forums i know of that require video etc. and i have a lot to offer people interested in self defense with wing chun, but i have chosen annonymity for my own private reasons, and have never used it to troll or challenge. please realize that there are "good" anons out there!
Good points. It looks like you've pak da'd me with this anonymous post. :)

LoneTiger108
11-07-2007, 02:51 PM
I have to admit to liking the idea of people sharing their identities on a forum, especially when you post so often. In light of this thread I have taken the time to update my signature.

Hello World! ;)

Phil Redmond
11-07-2007, 04:13 PM
I have to admit to liking the idea of people sharing their identities on a forum, especially when you post so often. In light of this thread I have taken the time to update my signature.

Hello World! ;)
Though all anonymous posters are not trolls, I do think that when people know with whom they're speaking there is a more respectful interaction. At least there should be.

MrBump
11-08-2007, 05:06 AM
Phil, I DO agree with your point...

...BUT...

sometimes there's comfort in posting anonymously.

The internet is a good and a bad thing. It makes available LOADS of information, some genuine and some rubbish, just like the people that contribute to forums.

;)

I would hate for my Sifu to think that I was contributing to, and asking questions of, web based forums, because it seems a little disrespectful to him - I might ask my Sifu a question, but ask the same question of a forum. Should I just accept what I'm told?

Probably!!!

But I LOVE knowledge, and I love understanding (in my own small way) the world of Wing Chun. Maybe I should be stronger in my convictions, but I don't want to offend my Sifu or colleagues in class with my ignorance or my views.

Hence, no real name!

However, my Martial Spirit tells me how to behave, be it in the Kwoon or in cyberspace, and I would never willingly offend anyone or criticise their art.

Mark.

Phil Redmond
11-08-2007, 07:17 AM

...BUT...

The internet is a good and a bad thing. It makes available LOADS of information, some genuine and some rubbish, just like the people that contribute to forums.

;)

I would hate for my Sifu to think that I was contributing to, and asking questions of, web based forums, because it seems a little disrespectful to him - I might ask my Sifu a question, but ask the same question of a forum. Should I just accept what I'm told?

Probably!!!

But I LOVE knowledge, and I love understanding (in my own small way) the world of Wing Chun. Maybe I should be stronger in my convictions, but I don't want to offend my Sifu or colleagues in class with my ignorance or my views.

Hence, no real name!

However, my Martial Spirit tells me how to behave, be it in the Kwoon or in cyberspace, and I would never willingly offend anyone or criticise their art.

Mark.

I can see your point regarding your Sifu. Some Sifu's would consider it disrespectful to ask another person a martial question. I personally advocate people to ask questions where ever.

sanjuro_ronin
11-08-2007, 07:21 AM

Some people, that is all they do, they see only negatives and can't fathom anything working in any way other than they know, regardless of how little they know.

osprey3883
11-08-2007, 08:56 AM
Though all anonymous posters are not trolls, I do think that when people know with whom they're speaking there is a more respectful interaction. At least there should be.

Well put!

Matt

Jeff Bussey
11-09-2007, 10:57 AM
Hey Mark,

...BUT...

;)

Probably!!!

Hence, no real name!

Mark.

Just my personal opinion, I don't think it's disrespectful at all to ask questions. We're not in a cult, the object is to learn and not follow blindly.

As a side note, wether someone uses their real name is neither here nor there for me. An a$$hole is an a$$hole is an a$$hole. :D Maybe they wouldn't be as big of one if they were using their real names but then they wouldn't really be themselves.

A lot of people say that when you meet people in real life situations (from a forum) that they're different and not as confrontational and IMO, they're being fake when you meet them. And their true personality is when they're being anon

MrBump
11-10-2007, 01:06 AM
Hey Mark,

Just my personal opinion, I don't think it's disrespectful at all to ask questions. We're not in a cult, the object is to learn and not follow blindly.

...nope, I agree. Questions are fine. It's the perception that I might be seeking to challenge, disbelieve or disprove what my sifu is teaching.

For example I'm pretty sure, from the research that I've done, that my Sifus family tree is slightly incorrect. But he believes it to be correct, and has believed this for the last 30+ years that he has been training.

Who am I to challenge him on this?

I love what he teaches and his methods, so it makes no difference to me at all. I just want to know the facts, that's all. My Sifu comes from an age that predates the WWW, when you believed what you were told and that was that. And I think that there were lots of teachers out there that couldn't have possibly understood how communication technology would shrink the information world down to what we have now. And consequently lies or mis-truths were told about lineage, who trained who etc.

And this is why we've seen so much conflict in Wing Chun*.

I don't have such a problem with this but I want to understand it, and being Mark Anon helps.

But if anyone thinks my posts are out of line, I hope you are able to let me know (I suspect you are!)

Mark.

* - or one of the many reasons ;)

Matrix
11-10-2007, 01:38 PM
A lot of people say that when you meet people in real life situations (from a forum) that they're different and not as confrontational and IMO, they're being fake when you meet them. And their true personality is when they're being anon
Hey Jeff,
If that's your real name... :p ;)
I feel there's some merit to the point you're making.

I just know that the people I've met have all been quite nice to me, and I would even say that some of those people are in fact great people. If you hang with someone for a few days under different conditions, they're "true personality" tends to come out. I may be naive, but I think that most people - once they understand that you don't have a hidden agenda of your own - tend to be friendly. We all have a lot in common, but we tend to focus on what divides us.

Cheers,
Bill

sihing
11-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Hey Jeff,

I just know that the people I've met have all been quite nice to me, and I would even say that some of those people are in fact great people. If you hang with someone for a few days under different conditions, they're "true personality" tends to come out. I may be naive, but I think that most people - once they understand that you don't have a hidden agenda of your own - tend to be friendly. We all have a lot in common, but we tend to focus on what divides us.

Cheers,
Bill

Bill,

The real reason why we are nice to you is that your so intense and aggressive in your WC, that it scares the beejeesus out of us so we treat you nice nice to avoid getting beat up;);)

All joking aside, that was a good post and I agree with what you said. I guess the thing is, in general, conflict makes things interesting and stirrs up controversy, which is what is needed for internet forums to survive. If we all agreed on every subject, there would be nothing left to agrue about:D The coolest thing, is when people from here meet up and learn about one another and what their WC is all about. That is the greatest gift this forum has given me.

James

Matrix
11-10-2007, 02:07 PM
All joking aside, that was a good post and I agree with what you said. I guess the thing is, in general, conflict makes things interesting and stirrs up controversy, which is what is needed for internet forums to survive. If we all agreed on every subject, there would be nothing left to agrue about:D The coolest thing, is when people from here meet up and learn about one another and what their WC is all about. That is the greatest gift this forum has given me. I'm with you on this James. If not for this forum I would have missed meeting and training with some great people. My recent trip to T-Bay was a blast, and I'm really happy that I could make it.

Just to be clear on the topic at hand, I'm not saying that we should all agree all the time, that would be boring and none of us would learn a thing. I just think we tend to focus on these points of contention and forget that we're really more alike than we might want to admit. Disagreements are friction points that can lead to greater understanding if you're willing to let go of what you "know to be true" and explore other possibilities. I think you are the best example of that idea that I've seen. To give up such a significant part of your life and change your approach so completely is a testament to that idea. And your response to the peanut gallery was spot on as well. ;)

Bill

Jeff Bussey
11-14-2007, 03:25 AM
Hey Jeff,

Cheers,
Bill
hahaha
You never know, this may not be my real name. Although we've met so that'd be too big of a charade for me to hold up. I don't have the brain power to organize it.:D
Ya, I guess some people do have hidden agendas and I can't even begin to understand why. Who knows. I don't doubt that you've met some quality people from this forum, but the ones that I know that you've met, they seemed like cool people here on the forum to begin with.

Oh ya and Mark, I don't think your posts are out of line, the devil told me to be his advocate so I was
:p

J

MrBump
11-14-2007, 03:28 AM
I'm never out of line - don't have the talent to justify it.

;)