PDA

View Full Version : fatal contact fatally flawed(spoilers)

doug maverick
11-07-2007, 12:14 PM
just watched this movie staring jacky wu jing, and i gotta say it was way to melo dramatic. the plot is simple, kong(wu jing) is a sanda fighter from china who is performing in a opera troupe in hong kong, some how(and its never shown or explained how) some ganagsters find out about him and ask him to join the underground fighting ring, he says no. but is later decides to fight because a girl he likes convinces him to(you see where this is going right) anyway he fights he wins he makes alot of money, but is then asked to through a fight by his boss, you then find out that his girlfriend has been using him all along(which you actually see through out the film thats she's using him so there was no surprise there)and he ends up breaking his leg in the fight. his girlfriend feels bad for cheating him and throws her self off a balcony and dies. kogn gets angry and kills all the ganagsters, roll credits.

i wrote the story for one thing it doesn;t matter its boring it sucks. what makes this movie is the well choreagraphed fights, they made this film worth watching wu jing is amazing and its to bad there are not more like him cause the martial arts movie stars are dying out in hong kong. the fights were choreagraphed by nicky li who is a memeber of the jacky chan stunt team and he did a phenomenal job. i like the chinese name of the film hak kuen(black fist) better then fatal contact.

side note:on a funny side not when i walked into the shop to get this film along with invisible target the women thought i wanted flashpoint and handed it to me before i even asked for the film(i bought it even thou i have it on my comp love that film)and she told me that everybody who walks in there wants flashpoint and she's been selling out of the film every week. and it made me think Dragon Dynasty needs to release there dvds faster because people are hip to donnie now and they want his movies asap.

GeneChing
11-07-2007, 12:25 PM
This is Jackie Wu Jing's latest, his first lead role since Tai Chi 2. He was the psycho villain in SPL, and also starred in Legend of Zu and Drunkey Monkey. A former Beijing Wushu team champ, ala Jet Li, Wu Jing has great potential as the next great kung fu star. He's charismatic, can play charming or psycho, and he's got the moves - fast, precise, balletic. But this movie sucks. Wow, does this movie suck.

The fights are all great and there's a fair amount of them because it's about underground death matches (like that's an original plot). But the story is so dreary. There's a subplot about a prostitute. There's a crying corpse. There's some pimped out HK gangsters. There's some ridiculous underground fight scenarios (you'd think if they were betting tens of millions of dollars, they could find a slightly better place to hold such fights than the pier loading docks, or empty warehouses with only a dozen people watching.) Wu Jing gets off some original fight moves - he's beautiful in action - but the story offers nothing at all but stuff to fast forward through.

Like I mentioned on the Wushu the Movie thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=814491), we were offered to carry this title back in January of this year, but I just couldn't bring myself to foist it upon you all. But still, good fights.

doug maverick
11-07-2007, 01:31 PM
There's some pimped out HK gangsters

i actually liked the way this character looked and i just wish he was just as flamboyant as his cloths. but yeah i didn;t even mention the prostitute sub plot. which was suppose to show the audience what miki chuengs character was doing with wu jing.

Jimbo
11-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Thanx for the info. Without it, I probably would have bought it if I saw it.

From now on, when new HK/Chinese action flicks are released, I'll see what the opinions are about it here. Avoid another case of buyer's remorse, in my case, like one Daniel Lee-directed film whose title I won't name here.

doug maverick
11-08-2007, 05:34 AM
and lets just call that the film that must not be named. this movie is a great rental. shoot if i wasn't known in some of these shops in chinatown from our play a few years back i doubt i would've paid the 12 bucks for this movie. but when you help bring alot of business in a sagging chinatown like it was a few years back people tend to be very gratefull to you and always give you good deals on stuff(its mostly just the video shops and kung fu stores since they directly benefitted as well as the restuarnts, hey man 20% in chinatown is hard to come buy)anyway not even i don;t even think Dragon Dynasty is going to pick this up. but i think with a few tiny cuts here and there and a funky soundtrack(hopefully by the rza) this might work

RAYNYSC
11-08-2007, 07:38 AM
I actully had this movie for somrtime now & I have to say this movie is nothing to write home about. In short the plot sucked & so did the movie but there were some kick ass fights though....