I heard

sanda full contact fighting
Changchuan longfist
jian striaght sword
taiji

were now going to be Medal Events at the 2008 Olympics.:D

ngokfei
11-07-2007, 02:54 PM
thats news to alot of us. Where did you hear this?

From what I've heard ther is going to be a Tournament a week BEFORE the actual olympics.

GeneChing
11-07-2007, 03:16 PM
The Wushu Tournament Beijing will be simultaneous to the Olympics. Just look at our calendar (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/news/index.php?month=08&year=2008). It's ambiguous what the Olympic connection might be because it will be neither an official medal sport nor a demo sport.

This weekend is the 9th World Wushu Games in Beijing. This is the quals for the the Wushu Tournament Beijing. Check out Beijing 2008 By Rose Saint-Stephan in our 2007 November/December (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48258). Now, we try never to run negative press, but we would have been remiss in our duty as journalists had we not reported what's happening so. It's drawn some fire already, albeit privately. Check it out.

Kemo Martin
11-07-2007, 03:22 PM
A great source.............
I asked were they heard they said "the governor" /(Chinese?)

I thought a heads up would benefit a few
I would ask alot of questions if I had an OPPORTUNITY

especially the SANDA Gang

TAOLU I'm sure someone knows

Yes the last I heard it was a tournament and did not make a Medal Event.

GOOD NEWS- SANDA I think thats great!:D

:confused::confused:

Kemo Martin
11-07-2007, 03:24 PM
new news I guess only 1 week old....................
well will see if my source is any good huh:D

lkfmdc
11-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Wushu isn't a medal sport

It isn't even a demo sport

There is a tournament being done in Beijing at the same time, it's almost, dare I say it? A CON :rolleyes: to fool dumb wai guo ren :mad:

Add to that, when the IOC recognized Tao Lu, they did not, repeat DID NOT recognize San Da at ALL.... because at the time China had somehow forgotten to offer competition at the world tournament to women, thus disqualifying it from Olympic consideration (ah, Chinese organization :rolleyes: sort of like a fire drill)

If anyone tells you San Da is a medal sport, be careftul, they'll sell you a bridge next

Kemo Martin
11-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Wushu isn't a medal sport

It isn't even a demo sport

There is a tournament being done in Beijing at the same time, it's almost, dare I say it? A CON :rolleyes: to fool dumb wai guo ren :mad:

Add to that, when the IOC recognized Tao Lu, they did not, repeat DID NOT recognize San Da at ALL.... because at the time China had somehow forgotten to offer competition at the world tournament to women, thus disqualifying it from Olympic consideration (ah, Chinese organization :rolleyes: sort of like a fire drill)

If anyone tells you San Da is a medal sport, be careftul, they'll sell you a bridge next

thats what I thought, too?

but thing can and do change ................

expect the unexpected

like I said for the SANDA gang thats great:D

if my source is any good:eek:

lkfmdc
11-07-2007, 04:07 PM
thats what I thought, too?

but thing can and do change ................

expect the unexpected

like I said for the SANDA gang thats great:D

if my source is any good:eek:

you can't possibly be this dense?

NO, they don't change when it comes to IOC and IOC regulations

There is no way in H E LL that San Da is a medal sport, it didn't even qualify for recognition based upon not having women's competition

If you want to go to Beijing thinking you are going to the "Olympics" that's fine, but it makes you a patsy

Kemo Martin
11-07-2007, 04:16 PM
well what can I say:confused:
if it doesn't matter to you don't worry
but ,

my source is pretty reliable:D

lkfmdc
11-07-2007, 04:19 PM
well what can I say:confused:
if it doesn't matter to you don't worry
but ,

my source is pretty reliable:D

your source must be an idiot if he thinks the IOC will change it's regulations, recognize a sport, then accept it as a medal sport all in under a year :rolleyes:

now, run a play, maybe in the street? :rolleyes:

Kemo Martin
11-07-2007, 04:28 PM
I don't think it 's................. impossible..............
:D

but since you like San Shou...

it's a long step, just as you said
so when it happens only those who are ready and.... at the right place, at the right time will make it.

;)

lkfmdc
11-07-2007, 04:39 PM
I don't think it 's................. impossible..............

but since you like San Shou...

it's a long step, just as you said
so when it happens only those who are ready and.... at the right place, at the right time will make it.

;)

you know, acting foolish like this, you are losing face in front of everyone

facts are facts, and solid.... stop acting the fool, it's unbecoming

ngokfei
11-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Isn't there a regulation preventing a hosting country from having competing events happening at the same time as the Olympics?

Like LKFMDC said it would be a CON riding on the good name of the Olympics.

Kemo Martin
11-07-2007, 05:14 PM
I will lose nothing.....
I didn't want to believe it when I heard the news either

you know I look forward to seeing what really happens
when its all said............ and done..............

the future is amazing:cool:

time will tell all:)

lkfmdc
11-07-2007, 05:16 PM
I will lose nothing.....
I didn't want to believe it when I heard the news either

you know I look forward to seeing what really happens
when its all said............ and done..............

the future is amazing:cool:

time will tell all:)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate

when the school bus comes to pick you up in the morning

is it sort of short?

Kemo Martin
11-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Thats good
you would really have to say "came" not comes
and no, but thats funny:D

Yum Cha
11-07-2007, 05:46 PM
I certainly remember that the Chinese started their olympic organisation hoping to have Wu Shu as a demonstration event, but it got knocked on the head pretty early on by the IOC.

I'm sure you'll see it at every pageant, with heaps of lion and dragon dancing, and there will be pageantry on an unparallelled level at the chinese olympics.

It will make up for the loss of general beer swilling, fornication and street partying that characterised the Sydney games. :D:D:D:D

Whod'a guessed....

GeneChing
11-08-2007, 11:04 AM
We've been discussing the Olympic bid from the day it was announced (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=368). We'll continue to cover it through the Wushu Tournament Beijing. The Wushu Tournament Beijing is allegedly recognized by the IOC as some sort of special case. We're still not clear on the exact details. Our publisher, Gigi Oh, is leaving for Beijing today to find out more.

When the Beijing Olympics were announced, many CMA people demonstrated how uneducated and illiterate they were by propounding absurd hearsay. I even heard some rather respected masters claim that Lion dance was going to be an event. Obviously, it is being perpetuated or this thread wouldn't be here. We all make mistakes, Kemo Martin, so don't feel bad. If you don't correct your mistakes, that's a reason to feel bad. Also, if you have lkfmdc slapping you about on the forum, well you can feel bad about that too, but it happens to all of us. lkfmdc is just that way. ;) Ultimately, a slap on the forum is nothing. It can't bruise anything more than your ego.

Olympic wushu is a classic case of martial myopia. Anyone can just go to one of the many website on the Olympics, perhaps even their one of their official sites (http://www.olympic.org/uk/index_uk.asp)(this one is for Beijing (http://en.beijing2008.cn/) specifically) and find out the facts, but spreading rummors is just more fun I suppose. One prevalent myth was that the hosting country had the right to insert a new game. That changed years ago. The games change every time they are held. As always, just do a little research and you'll save yourself a lot of embarrassment. The IOC has a new president, Jacques Rogge, and he has been campaigning to reduce the amount of events at the Olympic Games, so adding new events is even more difficult. Many of the present events are struggling to hold on to what they have. It's a long and complicated process to get a new event accepted. Tae Kwon Do is a perfect example. It was first submitted as a demonstration sport in the Seoul '88 games, but it didn't gain Olympic medal status until Sydney, four game (and sixteen years) later. Additionally, it skipped the '96 games. Read my article in the link on top of this post. It goes into detail on this.

As for sanda, it was never submitted to the IOC at all. The IWuF only submitted taolu. At the time of submission, there weren't enough female fighters competing on the international level for it to even be considered. Even now, I'm skeptical that there are enough female fighters competing in the World Wushu Games to support an Olympic bid. Nevertheless, sanda will be included in the Wushu Tournament Beijing 2008. We'll know who gets to go after next week.

So is the Wushu Tournament Beijing a scam? Clearly there are several individuals that are still trying to promote it as an Olympic wushu event. We even received some requests to squelch our reporting of the failed Olympic bid from some noted powers that be in wulin. Obviously, if you read our magazine, we haven't done that. There are many people who feel China lost face because wushu didn't make it. That's just absurd. China gains more international face by hosting the Olympics than it has ever received in the modern era. If wushu is really to make any progress towards Olympic status, we need to take a serious look at what might have gone wrong. Fortunately, there are other powers that be who are doing that. For them, the Wushu Tournament Beijing is an opportunity to experiment with the sport on the Olympic level. So while there is an effort by some to deceive the public about the Wushu Tournament Beijing, there is also an effort to present the facts.

You want the truth? You can't handle the truth. Ok, just kidding. I love that ol' Nicholson line. If you really want the truth about wushu and the Olympics, it's easy - you know where to go (http://www.martialartsmart.net/19341.html).

lkfmdc
11-08-2007, 11:31 AM
wow, there's a encho in here

when the IOC recognized Tao Lu, they did not, repeat DID NOT recognize San Da at ALL.... because at the time China had somehow forgotten to offer competition at the world tournament to women, thus disqualifying it from Olympic consideration

There is no way in H E LL that San Da is a medal sport, it didn't even qualify for recognition based upon not having women's competition

As for sanda, it was never submitted to the IOC at all. The IWuF only submitted taolu. At the time of submission, there weren't enough female fighters competing on the international level for it to even be considered.

your source must be an idiot if he thinks the IOC will change it's regulations, recognize a sport, then accept it as a medal sport all in under a year :rolleyes:

It's a long and complicated process to get a new event accepted. Tae Kwon Do is a perfect example. It was first submitted as a demonstration sport in the Seoul '88 games, but it didn't gain Olympic medal status until Sydney, four game (and sixteen years) later. Additionally, it skipped the '96 games.

if you have lkfmdc slapping you about on the forum, well you can feel bad about that too, but it happens to all of us.

Kemo Martin
11-08-2007, 11:45 AM
well gene nice monologue
thank you for your consolation.........
I understand all the Olympic controversy as you stated too
but.................................

what will you say when I'm right

Let me ask you..... if it did.....................

who would have to provide a Team?

Pan-American?
or
American ?

it is.......... and will happen...

lkfmdc
11-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Gene, can we ban people on the basis of being really, really, really dumb? :rolleyes:

MasterKiller
11-08-2007, 12:07 PM
I think he meant to spell his name Chemo Martin, which would at least partially explain his retardedness.

Kemo Martin
11-08-2007, 12:16 PM
I think the word you're really looking for is......... gullible:rolleyes:

dumb............... would be if I didn't say anything:D

lkfmdc
11-08-2007, 12:19 PM
So is the Wushu Tournament Beijing a scam? Clearly there are several individuals that are still trying to promote it as an Olympic wushu event. We even received some requests to squelch our reporting of the failed Olympic bid from some noted powers that be in wulin.

I really have a bone to pick with those who are trying to deceive people into thinking this is an "Olympic event".... case in point the "US san da team" selection that was done recently

You'll note that NONE of the US teams attended. With the exception of Max Chen, who went independently, none of the men representing the US had ever fought San Shou before the team trials! Having your second San Shou fight at an international level event, against China, Korea, Iran, Egypt, Brazil or Russia isn't going to be a wonderful experience

They con'ed those guys into this telling them they were going to fight "in the Olympics"

Kemo Martin
11-08-2007, 02:17 PM
I really have a bone to pick with those who are trying to deceive people into thinking this is an "Olympic event".... case in point the "US san da team" selection that was done recently

You'll note that NONE of the US teams attended. With the exception of Max Chen, who went independently, none of the men representing the US had ever fought San Shou before the team trials! Having your second San Shou fight at an international level event, against China, Korea, Iran, Egypt, Brazil or Russia isn't going to be a wonderful experience

They con'ed those guys into this telling them they were going to fight "in the Olympics"

why didn't anyone show?

I know a lot of laws recently came to pass regulating Combative Arts in the various States.

example
combative arts (http://www.license.state.tx.us/sports/sportslaw090107.pdf)

Sanda needs to have State licensed Promoters, Trainers, Refs, Athletes....::D

GeneChing
11-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Sometimes, things bear repeating. Few people listen to you anymore. I wonder why that is. ;)

can we ban people on the basis of being really, really, really dumb?
You know the answer. If we did that, there'd be no one left here. :p

There's a lot of controversy around the selection for both the sanshou and taolu this year. Again, refer to the article in our Nov/Dec 2007 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=729) by Rose Saint-Stephan. Rose tackled the taolu issues, but not the sanshou ones. I feel the problem with Olympic wushu misconceptions is two fold. One is people who are simply uninformed, and like any beginner, they can be educated with a little time and patience. The other is those that are intentionally deceiving people. Karma will get them. Are you the vehicle for karma?

lkfmdc
11-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Are you the vehicle for karma?

I am the freight train of Karma! ;)

Kemo Martin
11-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Let me assure you I am neither beginner nor deceitful.

you would think after almost 15 years of organization the US could
have created at least a circuit for competition that feeds to a national.

for Taolu and Sanda
but NO

as far as controversy
isn't every team selection full of controversy

the leaders are all *&^%$#*^% for themselves

I feel sympathy for all the athletes trying to accomplish anything with this federation

I feel the federation has done a pitiful job with their responsibilities.
they have not opened the sport...... only closed it.

the reason I am giving the heads up is not to deceive
but to prepare

plus for Sanda to make it, that is awsome!:D

for me it doesn't matter
but someone out there can use this info.

as hard to believe as it may be....:)

bawang
11-08-2007, 08:54 PM
the bejing olympic introduction back in athens olympics made me cringe, does anyone remember? they had a little girl singing with the horible beijing accent "wuuuah wuaaaah wuuoooo", then they had dancers do taiji on a revolving platform, and women in red dresses dancing mechanically, with obvious fake smiles. AHHHH i wanted to tear my eyes out!!
sanda would be great, but to everybody it would just look like kickboxing. lei tai dam it! lei tai!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPWY9b4HM_I
skip to 2:00, the horror!!
(warning, very strong cheesiness, of the stinky foot kind )

Kemo Martin
11-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Sanda isn't sanda without the lei tai:D

bawang
11-08-2007, 09:34 PM
it's not real leti tai unless the guy bleeds from the mouth, eyes, ears, and anoos, and the crowd yelling DA SI TA! DA SI TA!
i want to see spirit of guan gong possession competition at the olympics, see who drools and twitches more. it would be more interesting than taolu.

lkfmdc
11-08-2007, 09:44 PM
blah blah blah

I like to talk like a fortune cookie

blah blah blah

I like to make ridiculous claims that defy both the facts and logic

blah blah blah

Gene, time to ban this guy, he doesn't even qualify as an amusing troll

Kemo Martin
11-08-2007, 09:44 PM
it's not real leti tai unless the guy bleeds from the mouth, eyes, ears, and anoos.

isn't the lei tai
raised fighting platform, without ropes

lei tai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lei_tai)

the platform edge is very dangerous:(

bawang
11-08-2007, 09:50 PM
you have the IQ of a river shrimp

cjurakpt
11-09-2007, 03:37 AM
the reason I am giving the heads up is not to deceive
but to prepare
Nostradamus? Is it really you?!?

you have the IQ of a river shrimp
be nice to the shrimp...

anyway, Mr. Troll, it's been a fun ride, but your skills need work: a good troll knows how to go with the flow and change the skein of his posts once it's become clear no one is buying anymore

latest from official Beijing 2008 Olympics website:
"The Beijing 2008 Wushu Tournament, an international martial arts competition held on the sidelines of the Beijing Olympic Games next year, will feature 15 events for both men and women and should attract about 120 wushu players from all over the world, event officials announced on Tuesday" (italics mine)

full article:
http://en.beijing2008.cn/news/sports/headlines/others/n214192558.shtml

clearly no misconceptions about wushu having anything to do with the Olympics in any official capacity

cjurakpt
11-09-2007, 04:17 AM
We've been discussing the Olympic bid from the day it was announced (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=368).
BTW Gene, I read your article about the Olympic events that can be constituted as "martial", and unfortunately you left out the most important: if you knew anything at all about combat sports, you'd have put Team Handball at the top of the list...:D

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8000601556557164200&q=Team+Handball&total=279&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4016676341699078582&q=Team+Handball&total=279&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=2

Kemo Martin
11-09-2007, 07:14 AM
The best performer in the Championship will be selected for Beijing Olympic Games 2008.rumors
(http://www.jiayo.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7490)

Dr Lim described the status of wushu as an official participating sport as "touch and go," the star (http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2007/7/17/sports/20070717143006&sec=sports)

The games will be held in Beijing from November 9-17 and the governing body hopes to have the sport included as a demonstration sport during next year’s Olympics.wicklow people (http://www.wicklowpeople.ie/news/black-belt-off-to-china-for-world-wushu-games-kung-fu-man-robert-to-represent-ireland-1165701.html)

seems more than just me rambling.......................

remember they do drug testing for any medal winners

P.S. this is NOT my source......... just a little "peek" at some confirmation.

lkfmdc
11-09-2007, 07:31 AM
truly, you are a moron......

(PS, don't insult shrimp)

Kemo Martin
11-09-2007, 08:41 AM
Chicken or loud mouth snook
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCb9lh3nVd0)
.................................................. ..........................

lkfmdc
11-09-2007, 09:52 AM
This message is hidden because Kemo Martin is on your ignore list.

congratulations, you are only the second person ever on here to merit being officially ignored

("priceless")

GLW
11-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Obviously the troll/shrimp is a bit poor on reading comprehension. In his own citation (the star) the first lines:

"BEIJING: Preparations for the Beijing Olympic Wushu Competition – to run alongside the Olympics in 2008 – will be in full swing once the International Wushu Federation (IWUF) finalises some details. "

so...he can't read very well either.

GeneChing
11-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Never mind who might be trolls and troll bashers, I think it's important to bring attention to what's happening at the Beijing Olympics and the Wushu Tournament Beijing. It's a fine opportunity to further clear up any misconceptions.

As you can see from cjurakpt's excellent post (not the handball one, the one above :rolleyes:) the Wushu Tournament Beijing is part of the Olympics. It's just not a medal sport or a demo sport. The Olympics is a huge affair and there are many sideline events. It's a very exciting platform for wushu, both sanda and taolu. Rose, in the Beijing 2008 article I keep on about (obviously this really needs to be read by more people), has a quote from Wang Xiaolin that she extracted from an extensive interview that our publisher, Gigi Oh, did with him. And I don't think I'm tipping my cards too much, but our next issue, which will be on the newsstands in early December, contains that interview.

A comment to bawang and his "it's not real leti tai unless the guy bleeds from the mouth, eyes, ears, and anoos" remark - anyone who's watched the Olympics knows that there are no bloodsports. Even Olympic boxing is relatively bloodless. Sometimes there are accidents in any high level sporting event, but the intention of the Olympics has always been to avoid bloodshed. We have wars for that. Some MMA proponents have spread rumors that it should become an Olympic sport, but they are just as off target as the people that say lion dancing will be an Olympic sport.

Kemo Martin
11-09-2007, 11:48 AM
If you would consider the Olympics as the Pinnacle for the SPORT (wushu)

Only the elite are Involved

What about the "BASE" the "FOUNDATION" for the US
You know the Local, state, regional, national,

I think, the "BASE" is fractured and week and needs.............. so much recovery.

the Sanda- will have to conform to the State LAW, to become popular.

taolu
needs judges to think about how "affiliation" effects athletes

as for the OLYMPICS and Wushu today

DOG EATS DOG
:(

:mad:

GeneChing
11-09-2007, 11:56 AM
I was going to post this in Martial Media (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15), but now I'm thinking it'll sit better here.

Xinhua and NBC Olympics ready "Ring Force Five" (http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/4922/1/)
Written by Clifford Coonan
Friday, 09 November 2007

BEIJING – Chinese media conglom Xinhua Finance Media has linked up with NBC Universal’s unit, NBC Olympics, to produce an animated skein ahead of next year’s Beijing games called “Ring Force Five.”

Skein will be produced through the NASDAQ-listed XFMedia’s subsidiary Small World and will feature five futuristic Olympians who travel back in time to experience the true essence and spirit of the modern Games, which were revived from their ancient model in 1896.

“We are very proud that Small World has been chosen for this project. The association with NBC Universal is of great significance to XFMedia. We are looking forward to working closely with them and building a bridge to the major US sponsors involved with the Olympic Games and NBC,” XFMedia prexy Fredy Bush said in a statement.

Xinhua Finance Media is the media offshoot of Xinhua Finance, which is itself a branch of the official government news agency Xinhua. XFMedia describes itself as China’s leading diversified financial and entertainment media company and is involved in TV, radio, newspapers, magazines and other distribution channels.

The project will kick off with a one-hour DVD, which is to be released in the US just prior to the 2008 Beijing Games. NBC Olympics and Small World will be responsible for the global marketing and merchandising of the DVD.

Kemo Martin
11-09-2007, 12:26 PM

Sanda 2016 (http://jesusthecomforter.com/images/misc/little%20dragons.jpg):D

GeneChing
11-12-2007, 12:03 PM
More to come...

World Wushu Championship opens in Beijing (http://www.alivenotdead.com/viewnews_53477.html?r=andhpnewssmall)
www.chinaview.cn 2007-11-11 21:36:17

BEIJING, Nov. 11 (Xinhua) -- The 9th World Wushu Championships opened here on Sunday at Beijing Olympics Sports Center with a record entry of nearly 1,000 athletes from 89 countries and regions.

Liu Peng, president of Chinese Olympic Committee, declared open the 6-day tournament. Then, the magnificent Taijiquan (shadowboxing) performance acted by one thousand Chinese masters illuminated the spectacular opening ceremony with the theme "Wushu belongs to the world".

Li Lianjie (Jet Li), the well-known Hollywood Kung Fu star presented as the special guest and delivered a speech to the audiences, "I feel delighted that the Wushu Championship returns to our hometown and I hope in the rest of my lifetime I can spread the spirit of Wushu which includes humanity, peace, harmony and wisdom to every corner of the world."

Wushu, which derives from a wide variety of ancient Chinese martial arts, is composed of two disciplines: taolu (routines) and sanshou (fight).

In the 9th world championship, taolu covers 22 categories in which Taijiquan (shadow boxing) and Taijijian will adopt incidental music during the competitions for the first time. While sanshou comprises 18 categories which divided into men's 11 classes and women's 7 classes.

GeneChing
11-12-2007, 12:12 PM
'some advantage' indeed...

Lin claims first gold at World Wushu Championships (http://www.china.org.cn/english/sports/231629.htm)

Chinese Lin Fan claimed the first gold at the 9th World Wushu Championships in Beijing on Monday.

Lin, 20, the only Chinese in the 30 players taking part in the women's Nanquan, scored 9.83 to win the gold.

"I don't think it was difficult to get the gold medal, "said Lin, also the winner of China's National Championships in 2006.

"I think I displayed my real ability."

"It is the first time I take part in World Championships and I don't quite know my rivals," said the 20-year-old. "But I know that Chinese athletes have some advantage, since Wushu originated from here."

Lin Diana Bong Siong of Malaysia took the silver in 9.67, while Lao Sum Yin of Hong Kong, China finished third in 9.42.

In men's Nangun, Chinese Zhou Jing won the gold by scoring 9.80, 0.22 point more than the silver medalist Stanislav Galkin of Russia.

Farshad Arabi of Iran took the bronze in 9.55.

"I am kind of proud," said Zhou, 28, winner of the event in National Championships in 2004.

"I'm quite nervous since it's my first time to take part in the World Championships, but I did a good job today."

"To be a world champion is always my dream, and now it comes true," said the 28-year-old.

Pui Fook Chien of Malaysia, winner of the event in the 8th World Championships in 2005, only finished sixth in 9.45.

Hei Zhihong of Hong Kong, China claimed gold in men's Qiangshu in 9.58, while his teammate Liu Yang took the silver in 9.55. The bronze went to Lim Yew Fai of Malaysia with 9.51.

(Xinhua News Agency November 12, 2007)

GeneChing
11-12-2007, 12:15 PM
bodybuilding fashion... i love this article ;)

Jet Li: Wushu needs to be further popularized (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-11/12/content_7058902.htm)
2007-11-12 20:15:02

BEIJING, Nov. 12 (Xinhua) -- Wushu, the world famous Chinese martial arts, has a long way to go for its popularity among the ordinary people, said Hollywood Kung Fu star Jet Li, the goodwill ambassador of 9th World Wushu Championships, here on Monday.

"It still needs several generation's efforts to make Wushu popular among the common people," said Jet Li at press conference of the World Wushu Championships, which attracted a record participant of nearly 1,000 athletes from 89 countries and regions.

After watching the morning's competitive events, Li expressed his concern about Wushu's prospect. "I feel a little complicated after seeing many seats still available during the match. I think we should start from the very beginning now and do some actual work to let the common people enjoy it."

With more people choosing Taekwondo or Judo instead of Wushu as their body-building fashion, Li shared his distinct view on the development of Wushu: "Chinese Wushu needs a proper style to fit everyone and be suitable for the 21st century. We might combine America's marketing and Japan's discipline with China's philosophy to make it meet the needs of everyone."

Since the 5th National Games in Shanghai in 1983, Li has been away from competitive Wushu events for more than 20 years. After he became a famous action movie star, many of his works have been contributing to the development of Chinese Wushu and its popularization around the world.

When he was 40 years old, Li was committed to charity work and determined to promote Chinese culture to the world.

According to him, the ethics of Wushu is profound and should be shared by everyone.

"Wushu is for peace instead of fight just as I demonstrated in my movies like 'Hero' and 'Danny the Dog'. It does not only improve people's physical health but also the spiritual culture.

"The spirit of Wushu acts like humanity, harmony and mutual care, which should be shared by the whole world as we are all global citizens and should always think more about others."

Though Wushu failed to become Olympics' official program, Li thought the spirit counts more.

"Being in the Olympics is not that important, what's important is that we should never give up, which is also the spirit of both Olympics and Wushu," said Li. "It requires the continuous effort of several generations and I believe one day Wushu will be very popular around the world."

lkfmdc
11-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Gene

see if you can dig up any Sanshou action....

GeneChing
11-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Dominating the game is not going to do a lot of promoting wushu.

China sweeps five out of six golds on first day of Wushu worlds (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-11/12/content_7060452.htm)
2007-11-12 23:52:22

BEIJING, Nov. 12 (Xinhua) -- China, birthplace of Wushu, showed its superiority in the game when it gained five golds out of six events on the first day of the 9th World Wushu Championships here on Monday.

As the winner of National Championships in 2006, 20-year-old Lin Fan, the only athlete from China in the 30 players taking part in women's Nanquan (southern fist), scored 9.83 points to win the first gold of the tournament.

"It is the first time I take part in the World Championships and I think I displayed my real ability today," said Lin.

Lin's compatriot Zhou Jing took the men's Nanquan title by scoring 9.80, 0.22 points more than the silver medallist Stanislav Galkin of Russia.

"I am kind of proud," said 28-year-old Zhou, winner of the event in National Championships in 2004. "I'm quite nervous since it's my first time to take part in the World Championships, but I did a good job today."

In women's Gunshu (stick play), China's Cao Jing overcame a knee injury to grab the first gold of the night competition with a score of 9.83.

"My knee injury did not affect my performance too much and I performed to my normal," said a beaming Cao.

Just one hour later, Ma Lingjuan triumphed at the women's Qiangshu (spear play) event with 9.83 points to gift China the fourth gold medal.

At the men's Daoshu (broadsword play) field, China's Zhao Qingjian seized the fifth title for the hosts.

The gold medal of men's Qiangshu went to Hei Zhihong from China's Hong Kong with 9.58 points.

In Sanshou (fight), only the first round of both men's and women's competitions were held on Monday.

The 9th World Wushu Championships, which opened on Sunday night at Beijing Olympics Sports Center, attracted a record entry of nearly 1,000 athletes from 89 countries and regions.

In the last Championships in Vietnam 2005, China topped the medal standings with 18 golds among 57 countries and regions.

lkfmdc
11-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Dominating the game is not going to do a lot of promoting wushu.

"dominating"? :confused:

neither is blatant cheating, which we've seen there as well ;)

GeneChing
11-12-2007, 04:06 PM
How about some Afghani wushu? :cool:

Afghan Wushu team to participate in tournament in China (http://www.chinaview.cn/08olympics/index.htm)
2007-11-11 16:01:17
Special report: 2008 Olympic Games

KABUL, Nov. 11 (Xinhua) -- The Afghan National Wushu Team is to leave for Beijing on Monday to take part in the international Wushu tournament, local newspaper Afghanistan Times reported on Sunday.

It's the first time that Afghan team is participating in such competitions, Afghanistan Times quoted Arif Paiman, the spokesman of National Olympic Committee, as saying.

Paiman added that the competition would be attended by 114 countries and regions across the world.

The Afghan team is consisted of four players, a coach and a representative from the National Wushu Federation, Paiman noted.

He said that if the Afghan team could finish in top three this time, they would be able to participate in international Wushu championship of 2008.

GeneChing
11-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Still no sanshou... :(

World Wushu Championships: China claims 1st gold medal (http://www.cctv.com/program/sportsscene/20071113/105994.shtml)
Source: CCTV.com
11-13-2007 14:42

China claimed the first gold medal at the 9th World Wushu Championships. The victory went to 20-year-old Lin Fan in the women's Nanquan event in the Olympic Sports Center Gymnasium in Beijing.

Lin Fan was also the winner of China's National Championships for the past two years. As the only Chinese among the 30 players taking part in the women's Nanquan, she scored 9.83 to win the gold.

In men's Nangun, Chinese athlete Zhou Jing won the gold, with a 0.22 point advantage over the silver medalist Stanislav Galkin of Russia. Hei Zhihong from Hong Kong claimed gold in men's Qiangshu, while his teammate Liu Yang took the silver.

Wushu: Silver lining for Malaysia (http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2007/11/13/sports/19452941&sec=sports)
By LIM TEIK HUAT

PETALING JAYA: Wushu exponent Diana Bong Siong Lin gave Malaysia a superb start to their campaign in the Ninth World Championships, winning the silver in women's nanquan (southern style boxing) at the Olympic Sports Centre in Beijing yesterday.

Diana, making her debut in the championships, chalked up 9.67. China, as expected, took the gold through Lin Fan, who scored 9.83 and Hong Kong's Lao Sum Yin was the bronze medallist on 9.42.

Lim Yew Fai gave Malaysia a second medal for the day with a bronze in men's qiangshu (spear). The former SEA Games gold medallist earned 9.51 in the event, which was won by Hong Kong's Hei Zhihong with a score of 9.58.

For the silver medal-winning effort, Diana is set to receive RM40,000 under the National Sports Council (NSC) incentive scheme. As a biennial world championships, she qualifies for the reward under the highest category where gold and bronze are worth RM80,000 and RM20,000 respectively.

For the 21-year-old Sarawakian, winning the silver medal in her first appearance in the championships was made sweeter when she stepped on the rostrum to receive the medal from movie star Jet Li.

It also made up for the disappointment of missing out on the previous championships in Hanoi two years ago.

“I was kept out of the world championships because I had to go for rehabilitation for more than a year after a knee surgery,” said Diana in a telephone interview from Beijing.

“The silver medal I won today will motivate me to put up strong performances in my remaining events.”

Diana is down to compete in nandao (broadsword) and nangun (cudgel). She won a bronze in the nanquan combined events at the Doha Asian Games last year.

There was disappointment for the Malaysian camp when Pui Fook Chien failed to defend the men's nangun title. He finished sixth in the event won by China's Zhou Jin.

More than 1,000 exponents from 89 countries are taking part in the championships, which end on Saturday. A total of 22 gold medals are at stake in taolu (barehands and weapon) while 18 will be contested in sanshou (freestyle boxing).

GeneChing
11-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Note the Beijing Olympic Games mention.

Wushu team prepares for world championship (http://www.nepalnews.com.np/archive/2007/nov/nov07/news17.php)

A-5-member Wushu team has accelerated its preparation for the Wushu World Championship being held in Beijin, China from coming Saturday.

SAG Gold medalist Raj Kumar Rasaili, Bikash Gurung, Purushottam Rijal, Mohan Baniya and Rajiv Maharjan are in extensive training for the championship.

The best performer in the Championship will be selected for Beijing Olympic Games 2008.

SAG gold medalist Raj Kumar Raisaili said that Nepali players will perform their best in the Championship.

Raj Kumar Raisaili is fighting in 52 kg weight category, Purushottam Rijal in 70 kg wt category, Mohan Baniya in 60 kg wt category, Rajiv Maharjan in 80 kg and Bikash Gurung will fight in Thaulo.

Kemo Martin
11-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Note the Beijing Olympic Games mention.
Wushu team prepares for world championship (http://www.nepalnews.com.np/archive/2007/nov/nov07/news17.php)

"The best performer in the Championship will be selected for Beijing Olympic Games 2008"

Now that does sound nice!:D

GeneChing
11-13-2007, 12:23 PM
...but it's an old article, a personality piece on newcomer Jessica Miramontes. World karate tournament indeed... :rolleyes:

Off the beaten path: Texas Tech student pummel textbooks, class, men; to compete in world karate tournament (http://media.www.dailytoreador.com/media/storage/paper870/news/2007/11/01/LaVida/Off-The.Beaten.Path.Texas.Tech.Student.Pummel.Textbook s.Class.Men.To.Compete.In-3070458.shtml)
Elliot Cochran
Issue date: 11/1/07 Section: La Vida

Texas Tech student Jessica Miramontes never imagined she would have a chance to travel to China to compete for a place on the United States Olympic team doing something that came naturally to her as a child: beating up people. Miramontes, a junior psychology and exercise and sport sciences major, was born in Lubbock but spent the majority of her life in Flower Mound. Miramontes said it was there she had her inaugural taste of public combat, incidentally on a a soccer field. "When I was a little kid I played soccer, and there was a little boy who kicked the ball in my face and made my nose bleed," she said. "After my nose had stopped bleeding, I wanted to go back in the game. I went in and scored a goal, and while everyone was celebrating, I went and beat the little boy up. My mom thought 'maybe this is not the place for her,' so she put me in martial arts." Miramontes, as well as Lubbock residents J.R. Ridge and Gary Chandler, will represent the U.S. delegation in the ninth World Wushu Championships this month in Beijing, China. The group of Lubbockites represent one-third of the total participants composing the Sanshou team. Miramontes has been training in various forms of martial arts since she was six, recently joining the United Martial Arts Training Center in Lubbock under Ian Lee and his staff. Lee also is the coach of the Tech Sanshou club, where Miramontes was discovered. Mike Chan, assistant manager of the United Martial Arts Training Center, said although Miramontes has only been with the training center for four months, she has shown great improvements. "We discovered her in the Sanshou club, and saw that she had great potential," he said. "We basically saw that she had a good opportunity. She learns really quickly, sticks with the training, and right now (she is) representing the United States." Miramontes trains with her core group of martial-arts trainers and Sanshou fighters, an assemblage of men, including strength-training coach Jimmy Boyd. Through her training, Miramontes said her biggest benefits of training with teammates Ridge and Chandler is they hit harder than female competitors, and don't hold back on her. "We had some girls come over and spar with me recently, and both the matches had to be stopped because I almost knocked them out," she said. "When you get hit with people like J.R. and Gary, those are real hits - you see stars and twinkles." Whereas Miramontes has four months of experience, Ridge and Chandler have been building off the foundation of years of training for the World Championships, recently training full-time for the competition.

Teammate Ridge said Miramontes' work ethic must be higher than a male athlete to compete in a man's sport, and her labor and determination showcase her dedication. "Their (female) work ethic has to be a lot more than guys; it's really intimidating to be thrown into a man's sport," he said. "It was pretty amazing how fast she was catching up, most people in her position would not hang in there and keep going." While maintaining a training regimen of four to seven hours a day, Miramontes attends 12 hours of classes so she can finish her degree. She said her training can be overwhelming at times, and discovering her limits within herself has been educational. "Normally I'm pretty good at school, but right now I feel like a totally mediocre student because I have so much on my plate, but I'm doing my best," she said. "It's a balance, I think any college student can say that; it's really hard to know what your limits are until you find them. Sometimes those seven-hour days, I'll come home and the last thing I want to do is write a paper." In addition to her group of trainers and teammates, as well as support from friends and family, Miramontes said Tech has aided her in managing her workload. "The University been pretty good about helping me out, they let me go and do my thing as long as I take care of my business when I come back," she said. "I guess they're treating it as if I was a student-athlete or something like that. It's kind of nice" The World Championships begin Nov. 11 and end Nov. 17. Miramontes is one of three women fighting in the tournament, with about 40 countries participating. Updates of the team's progress and participations can be found at http://usawkf.org.

lkfmdc
11-13-2007, 12:49 PM
My reactions

1. Lubbock, Texas, yes, the hotbed of San Shou in the US :rolleyes:

2. "to compete for a place on the United States Olympic team" - Still trying to pass this BS off :rolleyes:

3. They are sending people with 4 months training to the world tournament where they will be fighitng people with between 40 and 80 matches, many are actually pro's

yeah, USAWKF is doing a fine job :rolleyes:

Kemo Martin
11-13-2007, 01:50 PM
why didn't anyone show?
I know a lot of laws recently came to pass regulating Combative Arts in the various States.
example
combative arts (http://www.license.state.tx.us/sports/sportslaw090107.pdf)
Sanda needs to have State licensed Promoters, Trainers, Refs, Athletes....::D

Wasn't the Team Tryouts in Lubbock?
then why didn't any "experienced" fighters GO!

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:

Kemo Martin
11-13-2007, 02:28 PM
yeah, USAWKF is doing a fine job :rolleyes:

as poor as things maybe:mad:
they are recognized by the IWuF<IOC:D

GeneChing
11-13-2007, 04:24 PM
I know I said I'd stop for the day, but here are a few more. Check out the pics on the first one.

Tarasova gifts Russia its 1st gold at World Wushu Championships (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-11/13/content_7064811.htm)
www.chinaview.cn 2007-11-13 15:14:13

BEIJING, Nov. 13 (Xinhua) -- Daria Tarasova gifted Russia its first gold medal at the 9th World Wushu Championships by winning Women's Changquan here on Tuesday.

Tarasova, 19, bronze medallist of the women's Gunshu (stick play) on Monday, claimed the gold in 9.50 points.

"I love Wushu," said the 19-year-old. "I started to learn it when I was six."

"I am quite confident," said the Russian. "There are more and more people playing Wushu in my country, and our national team is becoming stronger and stronger.

Xi Chengqing of Macao, China took the silver in 9.42.

"I made several mistakes today. I didn't perform my best because I was too tired," said Xi.

Weng Xiaoling of Hong Kong, China finished third with 9.40 points.

Xu Huihui of Italy, silver medallist in 2005 Wushu Worlds, only finished 10th in 9.17.

Still no sanshou... how about some taiji?

Shimoda of Japan claims gold at World Wushu Championships (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-11/13/content_7064957.htm)
2007-11-13 15:24:53

BEIJING, Nov. 13 (Xinhua) -- Yoshihiro Shimoda of Japan won gold in the men's Taijijian event at the 9th World Wushu Championships here on Tuesday.

Yoshihiro, 19, claimed the gold in 9.50 points, 0.01 point more than silver medalist Lee Jae-hyung of South Korea.

"It's incredible that I won the gold," said the Japanese. "I had a two-month training in Fujian before the championships, which is very helpful.

"I was a little nervous," said the 19-year-old. "My movements were a little stiff. I couldn't relax, so there was a lack of composure."

"I'll forget about today's achievement and go all out for tomorrow's Taijiquan (shadow boxing) event."

Lee Jai-Hyung brought South korea a silver with 9.49, while Hei Zhihong of Hong Kong, China took the bronze in 9.47.

The 9th World Wushu Championships, which opened on Sunday night at Beijing Olympics Sports Center, attracted a record entry of nearly 1,000 athletes from 89 countries and regions.

GeneChing
11-13-2007, 05:52 PM
I'm on IM with Gigi, but IM is a little sketchy from China and it keeps dropping out. Apparently both Rachel and Adam Margalit had to be hospitalized for stomach flu. Nevertheless, Rachel competed and scored 8:40, placing 14th. There was some issue about the draw for the U.S. team, something that didn't go in our favor, but I couldn't discern from Gigi's message what it was exactly. The first competition for the U.S. team members was on the 12th and we lost.

I asked Gigi to focus on sanshou. Hopefully she can send me more info, but like I said, the connection is dicey.

lkfmdc
11-13-2007, 06:16 PM
There was some issue about the draw for the U.S. team, something that didn't go in our favor, but I couldn't discern from Gigi's message what it was exactly. The first competition for the U.S. team members was on the 12th and we lost.

Gene
Is this refering to the san shou?

Every world championship, it seems that China tries something funny to the US team. Under Shawn Liu, they paid him no respect and it continued. The one year that the former Chinese coach was on the US team, he complained and used his connections. Now we have some new US coach, back to same story I guess? Let's see if he has any "connections" to help the US team

GeneChing
11-13-2007, 06:44 PM
...but here is Gigi's notes from the last two days of competition, including some sanshou results!

12th: Morning:
1. Women’s Nanquan: Rachel Margalit: 8.40 14th place, she was sick and 1st one to compete.
2. Men’s Qiangshu: Colvin Wang: 9.44 and place 5th.
1st: Hong Hei Zhi, HKG, 2nd: Liu Yang, Hkg, 3rd: Lim Yew Fai , MAS (Malaysia), 4th: Vietnam. Colvin Wang was the first one came out but he did well.
3. Evening men’s daoshu: Adam Margalit: 9.48 13th place; Collin Lee: 9.29 22nd place; Peter Dang: 8.82 35th place; Dennis Ta 8.77 38th place. 1st Place was CHN (China), followed by MAC (China Macau), MYA (Myanmar), TPE (Taipei), VIE (Vietnam)
4. Women’s Qiangshu: Sara Chang: 9.34 5th; Tenyia Lee: 9.33 6th; Tiffany Reyes: 9.17 13th; Ngan-Ha Ta: 8.72 22nd. 1st CHN, VIE, MAC, INA
Afternoon
5. Sanshou: Kasey Corless: Mens’s 85 Kg USA lost to LIB (Lebanan). I think he lost by “absolute victory” by LIB guy.

13th:Morning:
1. Women’s Changquan: Tiffany Reyes: 8.88 19th; Ngan-Ha Ta 8.71 22nd; Tenyia Lee: 8.34 26th; Sarah Chang: 7.67 35th; 1st place: RUS (RUSSIA), MAC, HKG, INA (INDONESIA); CAN. Note: Sarah was the 1st one compete, just like Rachel. They started from 8:05 and athletes have to be there by 6:30 am. My bus was leaving hotel by 7:00 am everyday…..and evening session is starting from 19:10 and last till about 22:00. Very, very long day….. You guys are having much easier life back home.
Afternoon:
2. 13:35 starting 1st one is Women’s 65KG: Our Jessica Miramontes against CHN. She lost, but she did a very good job.
3. around 15:00, Men’s 70KG: Max Chen against Piotr Pasnik from POL (Poland): He won by “absolute victory” on the second round. But he lost to him on the 1st round and totally came back and kept pushing him. All the sanshou guys and family and me sitting together and cheering for him. Good feeling. He is fighting AlvAro Cancino from VEN (Venezuela) this afternoon.
Evening:
4. Men’s 75KG: Gary Chandler against Kerimov Renat from KAZ (Kazakhstan) and win 2:1

Stay tuned….

lkfmdc
11-13-2007, 06:49 PM
- "Men’s 75KG: Gary Chandler against Kerimov Renat from KAZ (Kazakhstan) and win 2:1"

US won vs Kazakhstan? They are a tough team... that's good...

Max is the only US team member with experience, so a lot of hope is pinned on him

Gene, thanks, keep the SS results coming

Kemo Martin
11-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Under Shawn Liu, they paid him no respect

He deserves NO respect

Dale Dugas
11-14-2007, 09:43 AM
He deserves NO respect

Nice comment from the new I dont train Iron Palm but I can critique it/Mouthboxing/Coward of KFO.

Who are you?
Who is your teacher?
What style(s) do you train?

You seem to realize that 99.9&#37; of people have you on ignore already.

Kemo Martin
11-14-2007, 09:55 AM
shouldn't you be working your "Iron Palm":D .1&#37;

Who will be "The Olympic Team".....?:confused:

Dale Dugas
11-14-2007, 09:57 AM
shouldn't you be working your "Iron Palm":D .01%

Who will be "The Olympic Team".....?:confused:

Who are you?
Who is your teacher?
What style(s) do you train?
How long have you been training in Iron Palm?

lkfmdc
11-14-2007, 10:07 AM
Dale, don't bother, he's a waste of time

Dale Dugas
11-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Dale, don't bother, he's a waste of time

But I like poking trolls with a sharp pointed stick to see if they are sleeping....

GeneChing
11-14-2007, 10:34 AM
From China:

Four golds carved up at Wushu Worlds (http://www.china.org.cn/english/sports/231839.htm)
Host China, Russia, the Philippines and Japan carved up four gold medals in the second day of 9th world wushu championships on Tuesday.

The first gold of the day came from the women's Changquan (long fist) field. Daria Tarasova, the bronze medalist of the women's Gunshu (stick play) one day earlier, claimed Russia the first title in 9.50 points .

Russia's Daria Tarasova competes during the final of the women's Changquan competition at the "Good Luck, Beijing" 9th World Wushu Championships in Beijing, capital of China, Nov. 13, 2007.

"I love Wushu and I am quite confident as our national team is becoming stronger and stronger," said the beaming 19-year-old Russian.

Xi Chengqing from China's Macao took the silver in 9.42 and Weng Xiaoling of China's Hong Kong finished third with 9.40 points.

In another field, Yoshihiro Shimoda of Japan survived the breathtaking competition to take the men's Taijijian (shadow sword) with a score of 9.50 points, bettering the runner-up Lee Jae-Hyung of South Korea by 0.01 points.

While Hei Zhihong from China's Hong Kong took the bronze in 9.47.

Japan's Yoshihiro Shimoda competes during the men's Taijijian competition.

"It's incredible that I won the gold," said the pleasantly surprised Japanese, adding that he will prepare for next event seriously.

"I'll forget about today's achievement and go all out for tomorrow's Taijiquan (shadowboxing)."

In other two events of taolu (routines) the night, China's Cui Wenjuan grabbed the women's Taijijian with 9.80 points, followed by Fan Manyun from Chinese Taipei in 9.56 and Japan's Miyaoka Ai in 9.57.

The last gold of the day went to Willy R.Wang of the Philippines in 9.57. The silver and bronze medals were notched by Heriyanto from Indonesia and Japan's Matsuura Arata.

On medals table, China remained atop with 6 golds. China's Hong Kong stood second with 1 gold, 1 silver and 3 bronzes, followed by Russia with 1 gold, 1 silver and 1 bronze each and Japan with 1 gold and 2 bronzes.

Wushu, also known as Kungfu or martial arts, is now an increasingly popular sport around the world.

The 9th championship has attracted nearly 1000 athletes from 89 countries and regions, the most ever in the tournament.

Huang Huiyan retains women's Nandao title at World Wushu Championships (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-11/14/content_7073340.htm)
2007-11-14 15:56:00

BEIJING, Nov. 14 (Xinhua) -- Huang Huiyan of Macao, China, retained her title in women's Naodao at the 9th Wushu Worlds here on Wednesday.

Huang, winner of the event in 2005 Wushu Worlds, clinched the gold in 9.50 points.

"I'm satisfied with my performance today," said Huang. "I had many strong rivals in the competition, so I was quite nervous.

"Nandao demands strength over style. The shouting requires special training," she said.

"As to the expressions in the eyes, I don't think I'm good enough.

"I'm very pleased to get this medal. I want to thank my coach, who is always supporting me," added Huang.

Erika Kojima of Japan took the silver in 9.41, while the bronze medal went to Vu Thuy Linh of Vietnam with 9.40.

From Vietnam:

Tra My goes silver at world tourney (http://vietnamnews.vnagency.com.vn/showarticle.php?num=01SPO141107)

(14-11-2007)

HA NOI — Vu Tra My won her first world-conference medal on Monday after finishing second in the World Wushu Championship’s qiangshu (demonstration with spear) event in Beijing, China.

The 17-year-old once again found success in Beijing, where she won three gold medals at the Asian Championships four years ago, after she secured the silver with an impressive score of 9.56 points from the jury.

China’s Ma Lingjuan took the gold with a 0.27 point lead over My, who failed to win a medal at the last biannual world event at home in Ha Noi.

The other Vietnamese artists, Tran Duc Trong and Nguyen Huy Thanh, both failed to claim success in the men’s taolu (demonstrations), with Trong coming fourth in daoshu (broad-sword) at 9.60 points and Thanh also landing fourth in qiangshu at 9.49.

Other members of the 20-strong Vietnamese team, which aimed to finish in the top three, made their world debut and finished among the top 10 players.

The Vietnamese are competing without the top athletes who won the gold medals that helped Viet Nam finish second behind China at the last Championships, which were hosted for the first time in Viet Nam. The host team won five golds, eight silvers and three bonzes, 13 golds behind the winning Chinese team. At the 7th championships, held in Macao in 2003, Viet Nam also finished second behind China.

The 9th World Championships opened on Sunday at the Beijing Olympic Sports Centre with a record entry of nearly 1,000 athletes from 89 countries and regions.

Wushu, which derives from a wide variety of ancient Chinese martial arts, is composed of two disciplines: taolu (demonstration) and sanshou (combat).

Taolu covers 22 event categories, of which Taijiquan (shadow boxing) and Taijijian (Taiji sword) will adopt incidental music at the competition for the first time. Sanshou comprises 18 event categories – 11 for men and 7 for women. — VNS

GeneChing
11-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Of course, the article is about taiji, but we'll overlook that...

Asian champion Wu shines at Wushu Championships (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-11/14/content_7073528.htm)
2007-11-14 16:11:38

BEIJING, Nov. 14 (Xinhua) -- Wu Yanan, winner of the men's Taijiquan (shadow boxing) event in Athens, stole the spotlight at the 9th Wushu Worlds as he won the gold in the event here on Wednesday.

Wu, 21, showed his dominance in the competition to win the title by scoring 9.90 points, beating runner-up Chang Ching-kuei of Chinese Taipei by 0.38 points.

"It's fantastic to win the gold," said the 21-year-old happily.

Talking about his nearly perfect 9.90 points, Wu was quite excited. "It's my best performance, which exceeds my expectation.

"But 9.90 points doesn't mean perfection," said Wu. "To gain further achievements, I must make improvement, especially in my facial expression and artistic performance."

It is Wu's first gold in World Championships, since he didn't attend the 2005 edition. "It is the first time I have won in the World Championships, which makes me a little nervous."

Wu withdrew from the Taijijian (sword play) competition on Tuesday. "It is damaging for the development of an event if the country of origin dominates it for a long time. This is a common law in all competitive sports.

"We decided to pull out of the event in order to better promote and develop Wushu around the world," explained Wu.

Though he dominated the day's competition, Wu admitted that he had some strong rivals abroad.

"The teams of Japan, South Korea and Iran are all quite strong that they have some talented players, and I will be very pleased to compete with them."

Wu expressed his wishes to take part in the 2008 Beijing Wushu Tournament, which will be held during the Beijing Olympic Games, but his biggest wish is to win gold in the 2009 National Games.

"I'll try my best to qualify for the Wushu Tournament next year," said the Asian champion. "But to win the gold at the National Games in 2009 is my biggest wish now, since I performed terribly at the 10th National Games in Nanjing two year ago."

Wu won the Taijijian event in Nanjing, but finished a distant 11th place in Taijiquan event.

Starting to learn Wushu at six, and specializing in Taijiquan at 15, Wu has his own understanding towards the event.

"It's not just a kind of sports with beautiful movements, actually it is quite meaningful," he said. "It reflects a way of life and philosophy."

"The standing posture and the movements symbolize a personality of straightforwardness and integrity. They indicate a man of mental balance as well as physical well-being," he added.

"I take Taijiquan not only as my career, but also an important part of my life," Wu said.

BruceSteveRoy
11-14-2007, 11:42 AM
But I like poking trolls with a sharp pointed stick to see if they are sleeping....

dont bother though. this guy isnt even a good troll. i miss some of the old hardcore trolls we used to have. they made reading this forums painful at times but at least it was engaging. what you should instead do is sick those guys on this guy. we could have a troll off.

GeneChing
11-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Please note that these are Gigi's notes. I've corrected a few spelling errors, but this information may not be completely accurate since some final results aren't in. Even in this one, she says not to post it until she gets the results, then gives the results, so I'm assuming that it's post-able. She's doing this on the fly so she hasn't had the chance to cross check her facts. Also some things I just can't fathom, like what is the 'fen' reference in the Max Chen fight? Gigi and I do a lot of translation together so I'm very accustomed to working with her, but without her tone, I can't always set the records straight. So don't take this as gospel.

14th.
Morning:
1. Men’s Jian Shu: Colvin Wang: 9.20 6th place. Following by INA (Indonesia, 1st), HKG, MAS, VIE, HKG (5th).
2. Women’s Nandao: Rachel Margalit 9.00 13th. 1st - 5th : MAC, JPN, VIE, MAS, HKG
Sanda:
1. Men’s 65 Kg: Jeff Chow against a very tough Russia guy Yunus Guseinoy. Jeff lost. 2:0 by “absolute victory”
2. Men’s 75 kg: Gary Chandler against Roseneder Robert from AUT (Austira), Gary won again, 2:0 Harrah!

Afternoon:
Sanda:
1. Women’s 56 Kg Keri Juarez from USA lost to SWE (Sweden) 2:0
2. Men’s 70 Kg Max Chen against Alvaro Cancino from VEN (Venezuela) 2:1 he won again. Max lost on the first round. It seems he is always trying to feel his component in the first round. And fight harder and better when time goes on in spite his fen, us team members worried for him at the beginning.
3. Men’s 90 Kg Felipe De Jesus Pantoja from USA lost to Alfonso Valcrbcel from ESP (Spain). 2:0

Evening:
Sanda:
1. Women’s 60 Kg USA Sarah Ponce against Linda Mannucci from ITA. 2:0 Sarah won. Beautiful!
2. Men’s 80Kg Alejandro Cisne from USA against Daniele Chiofalo from ITA. 2:1 USA lost. Alejandro fought very well. He lost the 1st round, he then came back and won the 2nd round. The 3rd round was so close; I thought he won at the first….but…
Please hold the following report, its not complete…
3. Men’s Gun shu:
There are total of 91 one competitors in this divisions. Peter Dan was #36 and scored 9.10; Collin Lee was #41 scored 9.23; Adam Margalit was #51 and Dennis Ta was #90 and still waiting for his turn when I am writing this report. So, please hold this section, I will send it to you tomorrow. However, I have an appointment tomorrow morning, so I won’t be in until 8:00 Am, hopefully, by that time I can have the true result and the place for US competitors when I come in. I will send this report to you first.

Just about to leave and got the results sheet:
Collin Lee 9.23 placed 22nd; Adam Margalit 9.19 placed 24th; Peter Dang 9.10 and placed 28th; Dennis Ta 8.93 placed 33rd. 1st to 5th place are: MAC, TPE, VIE, MYA, JPN.

At this moment, I think among taolu competitors, Calvin Wong is the one for sure will return in next year’s 2008 wushu game.

Tomorrow morning Men’s Chang Quan will have 125 competitors.

lkfmdc
11-14-2007, 12:16 PM
fen? does she mean SHIN?

they are now doing San SHou without shin pads, an incredibly dumb concept for a three day tournament in my opinion...

last world's very few finished due to shin damage

GeneChing
11-14-2007, 12:19 PM
When I first read it, I was thinking fen as in excrement. Gigi's surely defaulting to her mandarin a lot. She always does that in China. Who wouldn't?

lkfmdc
11-14-2007, 12:30 PM
still a mystery I suppose?

Gary Chandler is doing amazing for a newbie, you should do a BIG STORY ON HIM, even if he loses his next match... still very impressive

Max and Sarah are the veterans, doing as expected... rest of team looks like it is getting waxed (insert spear sliding reference HERE)

GeneChing
11-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Chandler's Brazilian by birth, 28, and been in the martial arts for eight years. He's only been doing sanshou for a few of those years, but he's already competed in Beijing and Wuhan.

I had more hopes for Jeff Chow because he's local and he's 35 (I always got to root for the over 30 set). Chow was a silver medalist at last year's Pan Americans.

Of course, I totally agree with you about Max and Sarah. I've known them both by reputation for years but still haven't had the opportunity to meet them face-to-face.

I'm letting the fen comment slide. Hopefully Gigi will send more tomorrow.

lkfmdc
11-14-2007, 04:53 PM
If Chandler has background, well that makes sense, it's the worlds! Those guys are all tough and experienced. Maybe don't tell anyone, makes a nice fairy tale LOL ;)

Max and Sarah look like they are likely to medal, that's good

GeneChing
11-15-2007, 12:24 PM
Men's Changquan is the toughest taolu event since everyone starts with Changquan.

Chinese Yuan retains men's Changquan title at World Wushu Championships (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-11/15/content_7080546.htm)
2007-11-15 15:13:31

BEIJING, Nov. 15 (Xinhua) -- Yuan Xiaochao of China retained his title in the men's Changquan (long fist) event at the 9th World Wushu Championships here on Thursday.

Yuan, 19, winner of the event in Doha Asian Games and 2005 Wushu Worlds, clinched the gold in 9.91 points, with Thu Aung Si of Mynamar finishing second with 0.34 points behind.

"My results in the recent two years were not quite good," said the 19-year-old happily. "So my feeling now is a little complicated."

Successfully defending his title, Yuan said: "Compared with the last World Championships, I think my skills have been improved a lot."

Thu Aung Si brought Mynamar a silver in 9.57.

"I could have done better," he said. "I have expected to get 9.60."

"My goal is to get a medal here, and now it comes true," he added.

The bronze went to Chong Ang Eng of Malaysia with 9.54.

Cheng Chung Hang of Hong Kong, China, silver medallist of the event in 2005 Wushu Worlds, only finished eighth in 9.42.

Also, if you're into this, you might take a gander at the Jiayo 9thWWG thread (http://www.jiayo.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7533&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0). They have a lot of youtube and pics posted there.

GeneChing
11-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Skipper is a great name for a wushu champ.

Yew Fai gets a second bronze medal in the World Championships (http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2007/11/15/sports/19477678&sec=sports)
By LIM TEIK HUAT

PETALING JAYA: Skipper Lim Yew Fai salvaged some pride for Malaysia's battered campaign with a bronze medal finish in the men's jianshu (double-edged sword) event of the Ninth World Wushu Championships at the Olympic Sports Centre in Beijing yesterday.

His efforts that earned 9.41 point brought him a second medal in the championships. The 23-year-old KL exponent also took bronze in the qiangshu (spear) competition on Monday.

But the result yesterday brought no joy to Yew Fai, who was the champion in the previous championships in Hanoi two years ago.

Gogi Nebulana gave Indonesia their first-ever gold medal in the series with a score of 9.48 – 0.03 points better than Liu Yang of Hong Kong.

Yew Fai was the only Malaysian exponent to get on the rostrum yesterday.

Pui Fook Chien finished fourth in men's nanquan (southern boxing). The Sarawakian was the bronze medallist in the last championships. Filipino Willy Wang, who bagged three gold medals at the 2005 SEA Games in Manila, won the event.

In women's nandao (swordplay), Diana Bong Siong Lin settled for fourth place in the competition won by defending champion Huang Huiyan of Macau. Diana, making her debut in the championships, had won the silver medal in nanquan on Monday.

Another Malaysian exponent Lee Yang was placed eighth in men's taijiquan. The gold medal went to Wu Yanan of China.

With regional rivals the Philippines already one-up in the gold medal standings, the pressure is certainly on the Malaysians to raise their form in the remaining two days of taolu (barehands and weapons) competitions.

Thirteen of the 22 gold medals have been decided thus far with seven going to China.

Team manager Chong Kim Fatt remained hopeful that there would be an end to their gold drought. Five out of the nine remaining gold medals will be decided today.

“Fook Chien is competing in men's gunshu (stick) and he is the defending champion. It will not be easy. The competition has a big field of 83 exponents but we hope he can come up with something,” said Kim Fatt in a telephone interview from Beijing yesterday. “We hope our Asian Games champion Chai Fong Ying would win a medal in the women's taijiquan.”

lkfmdc
11-15-2007, 12:28 PM
any more san shou?

any more fen? :D

GeneChing
11-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Xu Huihui is a great name for an Italian.

Xu Huihui of Italy wins gold at World Wushu Championships (http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90779/90867/6303400.html)
15:37, November 15, 2007

Xu, runner-up of the event in 2005 Wushu Worlds, clinched the gold by scoring 9.55 points.

"I am quite excited," said Xu. "My mother will be proud of me. She is also my coach."

Geng Xiaoling of Hong Kong, China finished second in 9.46.

"I was quite nervous in the competition," said Geng. "It's hard for me to be relaxed."

Chai Fong Wei of Malaysia took the bronze in 9.41.

"I felt good," she said. "I performed my best."

"Every player wants to win the gold, but I just require myself to do my best," said Chai. "So I have no pressure."

Zhang Chunyan retains women's Jianshu title at World Wushu Championships (http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90779/90867/6303403.html)
15:39, November 15, 2007

Zhang Chunyan of China retained her title in women's Jianshu (sword play) at the 9th World Wushu Championships in Beijing on Thursday.

Zhang, 23, winner of the event in 2005 Wushu Worlds, clinched the title in 9.85 points.

"I'm satisfied with my performance today," said Zhang. "I controlled the rhythm very well and showed my best to the judges."

"I felt a little nervous since I was the last to play today," said the 23-year-old, winner of the event at the National Championships this year in Guangzhou. "But I caught my chance."

Hang Jing of Macao, China took the silver in 9.56.

"Han is a veteran," said the world champion. "But I am younger than her. My age is my advantage."

"You should not only know yourself, but also know your rivals," added Zhang.

Vu Tra My brought Vietnam a bronze with 9.49.

lkfmdc
11-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Xu Huihui is a great name for an Italian.

what are you insinuating there Gene? ;)

GeneChing
11-15-2007, 12:37 PM
15th
Morning:
Taolu:
1. Women’s Jian Shu: Tenyia Lee, 9.30 6th place; Sarah Chang, 9.08 13th; Tiffany Reyes: 9.02, 15th. 1st to 5th: CHN, MAC, VIE, INA, SIN. I think Tenyia Lee just got herself a spot to come back on 2008 since she was also the 6th place in Qiang Shu.
2. Women’s Dao Shu: Ngan-Ha Ta, 9.02, 9th place. 1st to 5th: ITA, HKG, MAS, RUS, CAN.
3. Men’s Chang Quan: Colvin Wang: 9.24, 17th; Adam Margalit 9.07, 28th; Collin Lee, 8.89, 38th; Peter Dang, 8.77 37th; Dennis Ta: 8.84, 38th. 1st to 5th: CHN, MYA, MAS, MAS, MAC.
Afternoon:
Sanda:
1. Women’s 60 Kg: Sarah Ponce against Zahra Karimi Vardanjani IRI (Iran). 2:0.
2. Men’s 70 Kg Max Chen against Ling Chan Cai from MAC (China Macau) 2:0

We just lost two (1/ 4 final) fights this afternoon. The winners of these fights will compete for medal tomorrow. US did their best, however, Iran and Macau fighters were so aggressive……

We still have one last medal contempt fight tonight:
Men’s 75Kg Gary Chandler against Barhouni Issom from TUN (Tunisia). It probably will end around 8:30 PM here and I will email you the results right away.

The following are up-to-date medal counts of taolu.

1. China: total 9 gold medals
2. Macau: 2 G, 4S, 1B
3. Hong Kong: 1G, 4S, 3B
4. Malaysia: 1G, 1S, 4B
5. Japan: 1G, 1S, 3B
6. Russia: 1G, 1S, 1B
7. Indonesia: 1G, 1S
8. Philippines: 1G
9. Italy: 1G
10. Taipei: 3S
11. Vietnam: 1S, 4B
12. Myanmar: 1S, 1B
13. Korea: 1S
14. Iran: 1B
The above results do not include Women’s Nangun and Men’s Nandao.

Very disappointing, I just found out that Gary is very sick he is running a temperature and can’t fight. So, the last fight for USA has been cancelled (actually this is the last event we have left, unless Gary wins) Gary is defeated by not shown. The luck is not on USA sanda team side; J.R. Ridge did not pass his weight class. So, he did not fight. Now Gary is sick…..

Gigi also said that she meant 'fans' when she said fen earlier.

lkfmdc
11-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Wow, US got hammered on last day.....

The not making weight thing is ridiculous.....

Fans, fen, it's all the same :p

GeneChing
11-16-2007, 10:32 AM
It's interesting how little of the web news coverage was about sanda.

Chinese Taipei pair claims gold at World Wushu Championships (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-11/16/content_7088090.htm)
2007-11-16 14:21:35

BEIJING, Nov. 16 (Xinhua) -- Hsu Kai-kuei and Hsiao Yung-sheng of Chinese Taipei won the gold in men's dual events at the 9th World Wushu Championships here on Friday.

Hsu and Hsiao survived the breathtaking competition to win the gold with a score of 9.38 points, beating Tran Duc Trong/Tran XuanHeip of Vietnam to the second place by 0.06 points.

"We did well and we felt good," said the gold medalists. "Our cooperation is perfect, and the chemistry is there."

"We are still surprised to the score," they added. "It is wonderful."

The Vietnam pair took the silver in 9.32.

"We performed well," said the silver medalists, who were quite satisfied with their performance. "We didn't have any missing points. We totally played our best."

"We spent one month to prepare, which is quite tough," they added.

Aung Si Thu and Myo Min Soe of Myanmar took the bronze in 9.31.

Dual events are my fav. IMO, wushu should have just submitted dual events and sanda to the IOC. Solo taolu doesn't offer much more than a weird spin on gymnastics, but dual events are more interesting. Two- or three-man sparring forms and synchronized forums bring something unique to the Olympics. Even though synchronized is akin to synchronized swimming and two-man to partner figure skating, they are much more engaging to a naive audience than solo forms.

Team Hong Kong, China wins last gold at World Wushu Championships (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-11/16/content_7088082.htm)
2007-11-16 14:20:20

BEIJING, Nov. 16 (Xinhua) -- Team Hong Kong, China claimed the title in women's dual events at the 9th World Wushu Championships here on Friday.

Law Sum Yin, Yuen Ka Ying and Ho Pak Kei clinched the last gold in Taolu in 9.27 points, 0.09 point bettering the runner-up Vietnam team.

"This is the first time I have competed in dual events in the Wushu Worlds," said Yuen. "But Law and Ho were the silver medalists at the 2005 Wushu Worlds.

"We formed the team two months ago," she added. "We trained really hard to win a gold here."

Yuen explained the difference between the team event and individual events: "The three of us should perform as a whole, as if one of us is out of form, the other two will also be affected."

Vu Tra My and Vu Thuy Linh brought Vietnam the silver in 9.18 points, while the bronze went to Han Jing and Huang Yanhui of Macao, China with 9.02.

lkfmdc
11-16-2007, 10:36 AM
It's interesting how little of the web news coverage was about sanda.

Speculation, perhaps indicative of the growing trend in CMA, the form, and the growing hostility towards fighting sport? Also seems that most San Da people, both here AND in China are gravatating towards MMA.... seen the cast over at "Art of War"?

GeneChing
11-16-2007, 04:18 PM
I think sanda is still trying to find it's place in the world's eyes. It's a great sport - love the takedowns - but I think many Chinese feel the need to catch up in the other international fight games. They're working harder now to integrate into Muay Thai and MMA. I'm excited to see this...optimistic even. The way Chinese sparring is changing now is fascinating. So I'm really disappointed that there was so little coverage. There are a few youtube clips on jiayo - some sanda. I'm behind those guys on this - way behind. Of course, we got you the results first ;)

I'm eager to hear Gigi's take on the scene. She's done with the emails and headed to Chicago for US Open 2007 International Wushu-Kungfu Championship, Wu Bin's event with Tammy Schaefer (http://tournaments.allamericanyouth.com/Wushu/). She'll be back here for Thanksgiving.

Kemo Martin
11-16-2007, 04:27 PM
and the growing hostility towards fighting sport?

Also seems that most San Da people, both here AND in China are gravatating towards MMA....
?

I think that the Combative Sports Laws
play a huge roll in the popularity of SANDA

their are no licensed promoters for SANDA:(

the new law requires fighters
to be licensed, this is a good thing
Doctors note, Eye check & Brain check.

the reason the MMA is so popular is because they have Licensed Promoters:cool:

lkfmdc
11-16-2007, 05:04 PM
San Da is a great sport, and when people see it, they love it.....

I won't go all out rant on you Gene, and I think you already have a clue, but the sport has been so badly managed! So badly managed in fact that they've put up obstacles even for those who have tried to push it forward.... many just gave up..

really sad

GeneChing
11-16-2007, 05:12 PM
I totally agree there's been mismanagement, beyond what you'd even expect for a fledgling sport. There's this weird Chinese cultural element that comes into play... too much guanxi guanxi. As fights go, my favorite to watch is sanda on a leitai. There's something about the obstacle of the ledge that adds a unique element that no other fight sport really has. Or course I truly hope it grows (you'd expect me to say that). I'll be really interested to see the sanda in the Beijing Wushu Tournament 2008.

lkfmdc
11-16-2007, 05:17 PM
San Da on a Lei Tai has some obvious logistical difficulties and expenses

I think if you saw some of the matches in a ring, some of the good ones, you'd see that relly it doesn't matter. Heck, we've done san da in a CAGE too ;)

There's this weird Chinese cultural element that comes into play... too much guanxi guanxi.

I'm gonna let that comment go, because it's better for the forum

Kemo Martin
11-16-2007, 05:18 PM
San Da is a great sport, and when people see it, they love it.....

I won't go all out rant on you Gene, and I think you already have a clue, but the sport has been so badly managed! So badly managed in fact that they've put up obstacles even for those who have tried to push it forward.... many just gave up..

really sad

Now thats a Fact..................

but I see a green light for the Licensed promotion now!
only $1,000 application fee
15,000 surety bond 1
10,000 surety bond 2

not to mention
timers scorekeepers refs coach PHYSICIAN all licensed
competitors prize money
sell some tickets
sell some air time

NOTHING BUT SANDA on the Lei Tai

that would be great!

GeneChing
11-20-2007, 11:02 AM
not easy?

Wu Jiao wins her first gold at World Wushu Championships (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-11/17/content_7094011.htm)
www.chinaview.cn 2007-11-17 15:01:46

BEIJING, Nov. 17 (Xinhua) -- China's Wu Jiao won her first gold at the 9th World Wushu Championships as she snatched the women's 65kg Sanshou here on Saturday.

Wu beat her opponent Sophia Vialle of France 2-0 to lift the title with breeze.

"It is my first World Championships," said Wu. "It is not easy."

"I'm taller than Vialle, so I fully used this advantage," Wu added.

"At first I was quite nervous, but gradually I got used to the rhythm," she said.

Sophia Vialle brought France a silver, while the bronze went to Margarita Kalmikova of Russia.

E - now that's a great name!!

China's E wins women's 56kg of Sanshou at World Wushu Championships (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-11/17/content_7094017.htm)
www.chinaview.cn 2007-11-17 15:04:13

BEIJING, Nov. 17 (Xinhua) -- China's E Meidie pocketed the goldin women's 56kg category of Sanshou at the 9th World Wushu Championships here on Saturday.

E, 21, winner of the event in 2005 Wushu Worlds, beat Razieh Tahmasebifar of Iran 2-0 with ease.

"I think I perform well, though not perfect," said the 21-year-old. "I didn't warm up enough."

"My advantage is my speed," she said. "I'm faster than Tahmasebifar, and I'm also more flexible. That led to my victory."

Tahmasebifar was happy about her silver. "I am satisfied, but if I was the gold medalist I would be much happier," said the Iranian.

"I think Chinese athletes not only have body strength, but alsosome basic instinct inside.

"We just try to practise Wushu, but they have some force insidethemselves. The Chinese know the essence of Wushu," she added.

The bronze went to Ana Claudia Fatia of Brazil.

GeneChing
11-20-2007, 11:07 AM
...I'm sorry to see it end. I was more invested in this year's games than any in the past. And it was rather fun doing the 'on the spot' posts from Gigi in Beijing. We hope you enjoyed that.

World Wushu Championships ends in China (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-11/17/content_7095640.htm)
www.chinaview.cn 2007-11-17 19:50:49

BEIJING, Nov. 17 (Xinhua) -- The 9th World Wushu Championships concluded here on Saturday night, rounding off a 6-day, 40-event spectacle dominated by the host China, which swept 18 gold medals out of 40 awarded.

China's Macao finished second on the final medal tally with three gold, five silver and four bronze medals, and Vietnam stood third with 3-4-7.

Wang Xiaolin, deputy chairman of the organizing committee, said that China's domination was challenged as the competition between foreign athletes and Chinese athletes was increasingly fierce, which indicated the development and popularization of Wushu around the world.

A total of 18 gold medals came from sanshou (fight) arena on Saturday, with the action taking place in women and men sessions separately.

Four Chinese female sanshou athletes cruised into the finals and all of them were crowned. Qin Lizi, E Meidie, Wu Jiao and Sun Hui were triumphed at 52kg, 56kg, 65kg and 70kg. While Vietnam's Nguyen Thi Bich claimed the title in 48kg category, her compatriot Luhon Thi Hoa won the 60kg competition. Michelle Manser from Britain grabbed the gold of 75kg due to a default of her opponent.

In the men's 11 sanshou finals, China showed their dominance when He Guangrong, Zhang Shuaike, Yu Feibiao, Zhang Yong and Yu Jin won the 48kg, 56kg, 60kg, 65kg and 90kg titles respectively to sweep five golds for the host. Russia seized 75kg and 85kg gold medals while the other four gold medals were carved up by Turkey, China's Macao, Iran and the Netherlands.

The six-day biyearly championships were attended by more than 1,000 athletes, coaches and sports officials from 89 countries and regions. It was the largest-ever event with highest technical standard since the first edition was held in Beijing in 1991.

Wushu will be listed as a special event in the Beijing Olympics, namely the 2008 Beijing Wushu Tournament from Aug. 21 to 24 next year.

Toranto of Canada will host the 10th World Wushu Championships in 2009.

lkfmdc
11-20-2007, 11:27 AM
somewhat predictable results in the San Shou, ie the powerhouses of China,Russia and Iran taking medals.... however, Turkey and Netherlands taking gold is NEWS!

GeneChing
11-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Check out the IWuF's main page (http://www.iwuf.org/index.asp) and surf around. There's some very standard pics. Still waiting on final results to see who goes to Beijing. The 3-D diagrams of the facility (http://www.iwuf.org/news_photo_1.asp?id=235) are very amusing.

GeneChing
11-21-2007, 01:07 PM
just for you, lkfmdc

China's Sun wins women's 70kg of Sanshou at World Wushu Championships (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-11/17/content_7094012.htm)
www.chinaview.cn 2007-11-17 15:01:54

BEIJING, Nov. 17 (Xinhua) -- China's Sun Hui claimed gold in the women's 75kg Sanshou at the 9th World Wushu Championships hereon Saturday.

Sun, winner of the event at 2005 Wushu worlds, beat Hayat Farag Yousef of Egypt 2-0 to win.

"It's not difficult for me," said the Chinese. "I am much stronger than her."

"My coach asked me to perform my best, and I did so," added Sun, who has been practicing Wushu for over seven years.

Aline Loue of France took the bronze.

China's Qin wins Sanshou at World Wushu Championships (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-11/17/content_7094009.htm)
www.chinaview.cn 2007-11-17 15:00:14

BEIJING, Nov. 17 (Xinhua) -- China's Qin Lizi claimed the gold in the women's 52kg category of Sanshou at the 9th World Wushu Championships here on Saturday.

Qin, winner of the Sanshou World Cup, beat Mary Jane T. Estimar of the Philippines by absolute victory to take the gold.

"I felt good," said Qin. "But I have a little regret, since Mary conceded so soon and I didn't have the opportunity to fully display my technique."

"I think we Chinese have dominated in the 52kg category, "she added.

Estimar gave up the competition soon due to a shoulder injury.

"A silver medal is just fine, "she said. "I injured my shoulder, otherwise I guess I could have won the gold."

"Qin performed quite well, and she's very strong, "added the silver medallist."

Vietnamese win two golds in women's Sanshou at World Wushu Championships (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-11/17/content_7093994.htm)
www.chinaview.cn 2007-11-17 14:57:34

BEIJING, Nov. 17 (Xinhua) -- Vietnamese brought home two golds in women's Sanshou at the 9th World Wushu Championships here on Saturday.

Nguyen Thi Bich beat Jennifer P. Lagilag of the Philippines 2-0 to win the women's 48kg category.

"It is not hard for me," she said. "I controlled the rhythm, and I caught my chance."

"I'm much taller and stronger than my opponent. And I fully used my advantages."

"I'm much shorter than her," said the silver medallist. "It's difficult for me to use my wrestling techniques."

"Besides, she is much more powerful. My height is the main reason."

The bronze went to Naw Mar Htun of Myanmar.

In women's 60kg category, Luong Thi Hoa of Vietnam beat Zahra Karimi Vardanjani from Iran 2-0 to win the second gold in Sanshou for her country.

Russian Kristina Naumova took the bronze.

GeneChing
11-21-2007, 01:12 PM
...just to have another voice of coverage.

Wang bags gold in China's World Wushu Championship (http://news.balita.ph/html/article.php/20071121114410780)
Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 11:44 AM UTC
Sports

The RP wushu team did the country proud again as Willy Wang bagged a gold medal and bannered a productive campaign by the Filipinos in the recent 9th World Wushu Championship at the National Olympic Center in Beijing, China.

A one-time world silver medalist, Wang made sure to finish on top this time, beating Indonesian Heriyanto for the gold medal in the Nan Quan event (Southern Fist style) of the meet that attracted more than 1,000 wushu athletes from 89 countries.

Matsura Arata of Japan settled for the bronze medal, rounding up the top three in event where more than 150 competitors were entered.

Wang was double gold medal winner in the 2005 Southeast Asian Games in Manila.

Aside from the lone gold, the Philippines also came home with two silver and two bronze medals to finish seventh overall, a performance that should augurs well to the country's bid in the 24th SEA Games in Thailand two weeks from now.

The two silvers were provided by Jennifer Lagilag and Mary Jane Estimar, who both competed in the women's sanshou 48 kg. and 52 kg., respectively, while the bronze medals were courtesy of Marian Mariano (60 kg), also in women's sanshou and Benjie Rivera (56 kg) in men's sanshou.

A native of Baguio City, Lagilag advanced to the final by overwhelming Naw Mar Htun of Myanmar in the semis, but lost to Vietnamese Nguyen Thi Bich in the showdown for the gold.

Estimar, who hails from Iloilo, was outclassed in the championship round by Qin LiZi of China. She won over Farzaneh Dehgani Younarti of Iran in the semis.

After winning a gold medal in the 52 kg class of the men's sanshou in the 2005 staging of the biennial tournament in Vietnam, Rivera, also from Baguio, went up and competed in the 56 kg. division, eventually settling up for the bronze as Zhang Shuai Ke of China and Nazir Jian Qin dominated the top two places.

Mariano was likewise only good enough for a bronze medal, yielding the gold to Luong Thi Hoa of Vietnam and the silver to Zahra Karimi Vardanjani of Iran.

Other members of the RP team that saw action were Jessie Aligaga (48 kg), Jason Domingo (52 kg) and Mark Eddiva (65 kg), all in men's sanshou.

As expected, China emerged the overall champion of the meet which also serves as a qualifying event for next year's Beijing Olympics, where wushu is entered as a demonstration sport.

The Chinese copped a total of 18 gold medals to finish first, followed by Macau with three golds, Vietnam, Hong Kong and Malaysia

Liu Peng, president of the Chinese Olympic Committee, declared open the week-long meet held from November 11-17. Popular Hollywood and Chinese martial arts actor Jet Li was the special guest during the opening ceremony.

The tournament, first staged in 1991 also in Beijing, is being held every other year.

GeneChing
11-21-2007, 01:16 PM
click here for wushu in a burka...

China tops world Wushu contest (http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=31687&sectionid=3510211)
Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:34:42

The 9th World Wushu Championships concluded with China, this year's host country, walking away in first place with 18 medals in total.

Wushu is both an exhibition and a full-contact sport derived from traditional Chinese martial arts.

In the women's category of Sanshou, Razieh Tahmasebifard and Zahra Karimi, won two silver medals for Iran's national team. In the men's Nangun and Sanshou final, Iran bagged silver and bronze medals.

China's Macao came second and Vietnam finished third among 89 countries taking part at the six-day biennial event.

Toronto, Canada will host the 10th World Wushu Championships in 2009.

Eddie
11-23-2007, 11:41 AM
I didn’t read the whole treat, so I could maybe repeat things said here already.
I attended the 9th World Wushu games in China last week and spend the week before training at Shichaihai school.
The tournament was promoted as a qualifier for the Olympics. Top 8 ranks gets to make it to the Olympics in certain weight categories.
While I support San Shou / San Da as a good combat sport, Im not really sure how well this would work as an Olympic event. One of the problems is that this in an amateur sport, practiced by players who do it as a hobby mostly. The top countries ( China, Russia, Iran, Korea IMHO) all entered professional fighters who has a good few pro fights behind then belt. Good example would be the Russian fighter Muslim … (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2eroi_russian-sanda-king-muslim-highlight_extreme) . The guy has fought in Sanda wong as well as other more famous pro events, and still came back to compete in an amateur event against people who probably don’t fight as often as he does.
USA had a few fighters, but I cant help but thinking it wasn’t their best group. Perhaps we are just putting high expectations on the USA.
Iran’s team (both taolu and sanshou) really impressed me.
I’d say the friendliest and ‘funniest’ team at the event was with out a doubt the Canadian team. Canadians are such cool people. Canadians, English, Koreans… and off course me.

lkfmdc
11-23-2007, 05:40 PM
USA had a few fighters, but I cant help but thinking it wasn’t their best group.

The team sent by the US this time was, without question, the weakest team we have ever sent.....

Kemo Martin
11-23-2007, 07:06 PM
The tournament was promoted as a qualifier for the Olympics. Top 8 ranks gets to make it to the Olympics in certain weight categories.

:eek::confused:
Qualify for the OLYMPICS?
Sanda....Olympics

tell me more?

where are all the "experienced" fighters :confused:

Eddie
11-24-2007, 09:58 AM
The US team seemed very small and it did seem like there were some politics even amongst themselves.

There will be a Wushu tournament at the Olympics. It wont be part of the Olympics as such, but the feel would be the same. Athletes will be treated in the same way, and as far as I am aware all thewir costs will be paid. Even tho, technically this wont be an Olympic event, it didnt seem to phase the athletes much. As far as most people I met over the tournament days were concerned, the ones who made it is going to the Olympics. Im also sure allot of people will use that in their personal promotion campaigns soon.

Personally, I think China still need to fix a few problems before the Olympics actually happens. While everything seemed to be working fine on the surface, one could not help but to notice that things did not seem all that well below (speaking from an organisational point of view).
We had to pay the tournament registration fees etc, well in advance. Cost for Hotel and accommodation etc worked out to about $55 usd per day. I went to China two weeks before the event (lived elsewhere). When I got to the event hotel, we were told that they changed the price to $85 usd per person per day without letting people know about it. While $30 per day might not be much for your average American who also earns in that currency, it is a crap load of money for others. Also, since most of us didn’t take allot of spending money along, this caused some serious problems.
But over all it was good.
Check out this picture. I took it with my cellphone camera from the official lei tai on which the fighters competed on. Maybe China should invest in some English spell checkers in the future ;)

Eddie
11-24-2007, 10:00 AM
sorry. Cant seem to upload the pic yet.

Its the official logo for the " International WusNu Federation" :cool:

Kemo Martin
11-24-2007, 10:13 AM
The team sent by the US this time was, without question, the weakest team we have ever sent.....

The US team seemed very small and it did seem like there were some politics even amongst themselves.

Where were all the experienced fighters?:confused:

GeneChing
11-26-2007, 11:05 AM
...where else but here (and jiayo) did you hear any discussion of the 9th WWG at all?

Rest of world gets excited about wushu (http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90779/90867/6308109.html)
10:32, November 23, 2007

The Beijing 2008 Wushu Tournament, an international martial arts competition to be held on the sidelines of the Beijing Olympic Games next year, will involve players from five continents, officials said as they expressed confidence in their ability to promote the sport globally.

"The participation of people from all over the world in wushu is very important, so the Beijing 2008 Wushu Tournament will involve people from five continents," said Wang Xiaolin, president of the Chinese Wushu Association (CWA) and secretary-general of the International Wushu Federation (IWUF).

The tournament will be held from August 21 to 24 next year at Olympic Sports Center Gymnasium during the Beijing Games and will feature 10 events for taolu (the routines) and five for sanshou (the fights).

The top six finishers in the taolu events and the top eight in the sanshou events from the 9th World Wushu Championships have already qualified for the tournament next summer. There are an additional 20 wild-card spots that have yet to be filled.

"We will allocate the 20 wild cards according to the development of wushu in certain countries, and try to cover people from all the five continents," said Wang.

The 9th World Wushu Championships, which was held from November 11 to 17, demonstrated how quickly the sport has developed in the world, as it attracted a record entry of nearly 1,000 athletes from 90 countries and regions. Players from 15 different countries and regions claimed medals.

"I'm delighted to see such a situation because it means that wushu is becoming increasingly popular throughout the whole world," said Wang. "During the competitions, no athlete appealed for unfair judgment, which shows that the referees are impartial and the judging system is efficient in maintaining the fairness."

China began to promote wushu in 1982, and held the first International Wushu Invitational Tournament in 1985 in Xi'an of northwestern China's Shaanxi Province. Since then wushu has sprouted up in many other countries and regions. There are currently 120 members in the IWUF.

The rapid development of the sport, which originated from China, has pleased wushu officials, who said better competition between nations only helps the sport grow.

"Chinese players used to have big advantages compared with those from overseas, but this time, we had no domination," said Wang. "Although we sent our best players to compete, they won with great difficulty and the gap between Chinese players and other countries has become smaller. As president of CWA, I'm very glad to see this, since the competition will help develop the sport."

China's wushu officials have always had a goal of making wushu an Olympic sport. Though wushu has been ruled out for the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games and 2012 London Games, Wang said they plan to continue their efforts.

"Enlarging the membership of IWUF is one of our main tasks, and we will also try to include wushu into more major sports games, such as the African Games, Pan-American Games and Commonwealth Games," Wang said.

"Television coverage should also be increased and we will try to get more support from well-known commercial enterprises."

Promoting wushu among young people is also one of Wang's top priorities, who said their involvement is crucial for the "persistent development" of the sport, especially if it is ever to be included in the Olympics.

But Wang stressed that entering the Olympic Games is not their only goal: "We hope more people in the world will pick up wushu as a sport for health."

In order to further popularize the sport, Wang said that simplification and standardization of the rules are also critical steps.

"We have made great progress in the standardization of the competition," he said, pointing specifically to the new computer-scoring system and the three teams of judges who evaluate technical quality, difficulty and athletes' skill levels.

"Besides, we need to make it simple. Many foreign people find it hard to learn since wushu derives from a wide variety of ancient Chinese martial arts and the ethics of it are profound."

lkfmdc
11-26-2007, 11:22 AM
There are an additional 20 wild-card spots that have yet to be filled.

well, if history teaches us anything, based upon the san da world cup, a majority of those 20 "wild card" spots will strangely get filled by CHINESE athletes :rolleyes:

GLW
11-27-2007, 08:59 AM
“ officials said as they expressed confidence in their ability to promote the sport globally.”

TRANSLATION:
We want it to happen and IF we can get some dummies throughout the world to bankroll it, it WILL. BUT, as always, promotional considerations and money to develop the sport will NOT be fortcoming from the IWuF

“The tournament will be held from August 21 to 24 next year at Olympic Sports Center Gymnasium during the Beijing Games”

NOTE:
Sort of like back in 1995 at the IWuF games in Baltimore. There WERE demonstrations going on in a couple of areas while the competitors were taking a break and at times, even when the competition was going on. This was to have something going in every ring area in that big convention center. No one watched the side demos or remembers them. Will anyone venture away from the main event of the Olympics to a side event. Remains to be seen but I wouldn’t bet on much coverage or promotion.

“The rapid development of the sport, which originated from China, has pleased wushu officials, who said better competition between nations only helps the sport grow.”

SIDE STORY:
Avoided here are the stories of major problems in virtually every country with their IWuF recognized organization. This is a surefire way to scare off an already corruption-scared IOC in regards to recognizing or adding a new sport.

"Chinese players used to have big advantages compared with those from overseas, but this time, we had no domination,"

TRANSLATION:
We had to send our SECOND String group instead of our THIRD String. They also don’t mention ever how it is not that uncommon for a team member in one competing country – usually a smaller one – may be a Chinese national, trained in China, a regional team member in China, and lured to that country to coach or whatever. I quit following this 3 or 4 years ago but it was a piece of dirty laundry then. An International Olympic sport needs to have an international face.

"Enlarging the membership of IWUF is one of our main tasks”

NOTE:
So, how’s that going for you guys?

"Television coverage should also be increased and we will try to get more support from well-known commercial enterprises."

NOTE:
This is what is needed… but is he talking inside or outside of China. Really easy inside China. A bit harder but doable in Asia. In the west…Ok, let’s see something bigger than Paul Mitchell.

“Promoting wushu among young people is also one of Wang's top priorities, who said their involvement is crucial for the "persistent development" of the sport, especially if it is ever to be included in the Olympics.”

People like Bryant Fong and Nick Gracenin said that 15 years ago. They also told the IWuF people that what was needed to do this was seed money because you were competing for the same $$ that goes to ballet, gymnastics, and ice skating. All of which are well established, have a competition venue set up, and working organizations that set knowable standards. SO….is he going to work to shake loose some funds? How many Wushu or Sanshou coaches do you know who would have the time and money to promote something bigger than their own school. It is simple economics – you have to pay the rent.

“But Wang stressed that entering the Olympic Games is not their only goal: "We hope more people in the world will pick up wushu as a sport for health."”

NOTE:
Yep..that is going to happen the way the IWuF and the CWA are going. The level of difficulty movements that they keep adding mean that more and more of the Chinese athletes are seen working out and competing with braces on knees, ankles, backs, etc… How healthy is that. Really hard to promote a sport for health that says you stop due to injuries in you 20’s….and that is the direction they keep going. Even Taijiquan. How many Taijiquan folks past a certain age want to do a jumping kick, land on the foot they kicked with, and then go down on that leg and back up with the opposite leg parallel to the floor.

“In order to further popularize the sport, Wang said that simplification and standardization of the rules are also critical steps.”

TRANSLATION:
We are STILL changing the rules from major event to major event….and haven’t gotten the formula yet.

"We have made great progress in the standardization of the competition," he said, pointing specifically to the new computer-scoring system and the three teams of judges who evaluate technical quality, difficulty and athletes' skill levels.”

NOTE:
Computer scoring – big deal. That is simply a matter of having the equipment there. Do they have such a system for the other IWuF countries to use for their events? Not likely. 3 teams of judges – way off base. In other countries, they do not have to luxury of a couple of hundred or more qualified judges ready to work. We have a hard time in the US to get 5 scoring judges, a head judge, a forms examiner, a timekeeper, and a ring coordinator – basically 9 or 10 people to do it according to the OLD rules – even more required now- just to run ONE ring. And that doesn’t even get into scrutinizing the judges qualifications or allowing a judge to honestly recuse themselves from scoring their own student. This totally negates his next statements about making it simple.

"Besides, we need to make it simple. Many foreign people find it hard to learn since wushu derives from a wide variety of ancient Chinese martial arts and the ethics of it are profound."

TRANSLATION:
We can make an excuse for not growing larger in the last 15 years since the culture and ethics for Wushu must be there – NOT. Maybe for Classical Wushu but the connection back to WuDe and such in Contemporary Wushu are NOT required for the athlete. People can watch a Martial Arts film – be it Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Seagal, or whoever and never get into those things…so they are not required for a spectator either.

Sounds like more of the same grand ideas with little or no roadmap to get there from their side.

Eddie
11-27-2007, 09:07 AM
It was said that the Wild cards will be divided to each continent.

But at the event they spoke of only 8 - 10 wild cards

lkfmdc
11-27-2007, 09:13 AM
I'm glad the issue of Chinese or heavily affiliated with Chinese athletes on other teams was brought up

I can only speak of San Shou.... but in San Shou there are athletes who basicly live in China and train with the Chinese coaches, then "represent" another country... Vietnam and Korea are HIGH on that list. And, just like the Chinese, they seem "favored" by the Chinese judges.... heck, I'll say it, I saw one match where the Chinese judge was the person's COACH! :rolleyes:

GLW
11-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Exactly. I have had judges here in the US deny that a competitor was their student. Of course, they were not exactly internet savy and had no lnowledge that said competitor had pictures and discussions of their training trips to said judge's school...and photos with the judge correcting them.

Then there is the dirty secret of what happens to fair judges in China. Basically, a judge is recommended to go to an event by one of the regioanl schools, teams, etc... Now, these schools and teams have their long standing rivalries. It is sort of not said but expected that the judge will inflate the scores of their team or their teams friends...or their rivals opponents, while deflating the scores of the rivals.

Unless they do this type of scoring, the chances of ever going back to a second event as a judge are VERY slim.

So, we get coaches and judges coming out of China that think this is the way it should be done. The idea of being totally impartial or recusement is totally foreign to many of them. So, you have strange scores and you can see judge alliances, hand signals between judges - that type of thing. It helps if you know hand counting the way it is done in China. I have seen a judge do the hand counting thing...and surprise surprise, that judge's allies in the judge group came out with the exact score judge A hand counted out 2 minutes earlier. But there is no cheating going on.

Well, for China to make it to the Olympics, this stuff truly needs to change. They also need to understand that a team from Country A - call it WushuLand that is made up of 80% compeitors that were born, raised, trained, and then lured from China to WusuLand with being set up in a school and given a seat on their team does NOT make it a WushuLand team.

An international sport has to have an international face.

sanjuro_ronin
11-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Anytime judges are involved and it falls on them and their decison as to who wins, its always up for grabs, in ANY sport.

lkfmdc
11-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Well, hate to point this out, but here in the US, where we have TONS of qualified, dedicated and established AMERICANS willing to work to advance our arts, why is the IWUF organization run exclusively by Chinese?

Again, let me focus on San Shou since I know it well. Jason Yee was the first American to medal in the sport, the first person to set up a program, and trained the best fighters in the country. Why wasn't he ever the national team coach?

Why have ALL the people who have been chosed to coach the national team been CHINESE? All of them have NOT had US based programs or successful students in the US. Only one of the 4 had any meaningful San Shou experience that could be documented.

To paraphrase a great man, I dream that one day the national team coach will be chosen by his ability to coach and not by the language he speaks at home

GLW
11-27-2007, 10:24 AM
"Anytime judges are involved and it falls on them and their decison as to who wins, its always up for grabs, in ANY sport."

You know, having been around this for a good while, I have seen this statement in a number of paraphrasings over and over. It is then usually followed by some reason why things can't be made better.

Take things like gymnastics or ice skating. They have judges that give scores. There ARE instances where some feel the judges get it wrong. That is why there are more than one judge and there are averaging methods to get the low and high scores to have little or no impact.

But, the judge preferences and tastes should only really enter into things when the competitors are either really good or really bad. Really bad...well, take several people and they all have zero basics...and then choose which one sucks less...it will fall to what a judge thinks would make the competitor improve the fastest...like giving points for spirit.

Or if they are very good...it will have an impact if you hit a brownie point area or a sore point for a particular judge.

But this is more the exception than the rule and judge training, scoring guidelines, etc... all work to make it more objective - KNOWING that there will always be a subjective element in it.

For Sanshou, it is much less subjective - EXCEPT for two main things. The ring official who calls fouls - or doesn't...and the organizer who sets the match ups and orders the fights.

In US Sanshou, we have seen tampering in BOTH of these areas to an extent that there ended up being a lot of bad blood all around.

In Taolu, same thing. I ahve actually seen a head Taolu judge - that was also the head of the Contemporary division - rework the order of events so their own students had better positions and their hardest competition had things like back to back rings....and then they feigned ignorance of the impact of ignoring the previously posted order of events - that was done to reduce such conflicts.

Go figure

But back to topic - if the CWA and the IWuF want things to develop - they need to reduce this junk and pour in some bucks... No one wants to see an international sport that looks like the super large demo team from China.

lkfmdc
11-27-2007, 10:30 AM
For Sanshou, it is much less subjective - EXCEPT for two main things. The ring official who calls fouls - or doesn't...and the organizer who sets the match ups and orders the fights.

ah, but you forgot another "great" aspect of San Shou

ONLY the Chinese, living in one of the world's last communist states, could come up with a system where 5 judges can award a victory and ONE MAN can over turn it

Jeff Bolt's 1997 event, the FINALS, 5 judges had it for BLACK, Shawn Liu overturns all 5 and awards it to RED. Red just "happened" to be a guy who studied with Shawn Liu :rolleyes:

According to IWUF rules, nothing anyone could do (a few of us just wanted to beat the heck out of Shawn, a popular feeling apparently)

GLW
11-27-2007, 10:51 AM
But wasn't that because everyone was so sick of hearing Shawn's "BACK" version of yelling out the winner if it was BLACK

I always thought it sounded like a really big cat with a microphone coughing up a hairball.

Yep... No wonder the guy mentioned improving the rules.... Only the IWuF could leave an obvious loophole in the rules for over 10 years...or IS it a loophole?

lkfmdc
11-27-2007, 11:21 AM
But wasn't that because everyone was so sick of hearing Shawn's "BACK" version of yelling out the winner if it was BLACK

I always thought it sounded like a really big cat with a microphone coughing up a hairball.

I had to quote that :D

I could go on, and on, and on,,,,, I've given up on "Chinese organization"

it's sort of like, well, a "Chinese firedrill"

Kemo Martin
11-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Hint;)

wushu /culture (http://www.olympic.org/uk/organisation/missions/culture/index_uk.asp)

Eddie
11-28-2007, 03:32 AM
There really isn’t any problem with the way san shou is judged. Its pretty much a point scoring system, and if you know the rules you can sit and calculate the point on your own. I did with most of the fights, and I pretty much had the same as most judges.
After the fight, all 4 corner judges’ points are displayed on the screen, so one could see who scored what.
In this instance I don’t think the judging was that bad.
Vietnam had Chinese fighters, but Korea was all Korean. I spend time with the Korean team at Shichaihai before the tournament, and partied with them during and after the event.
Im pretty much happy with how the IWUF do the san shou events, only thing Im not to happy about is the fact that Pro fighters can compete against amateurs. But then again, if this becomes an Olympic event, I suppose this is going to be the way things will be in the future.

lkfmdc
11-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Vietnam had Chinese fighters, but Korea was all Korean.

my bad then I guess, my mistake

Eddie
11-30-2007, 02:10 AM
sorry. when i read it now again, i realised it came accross a little ' know it all'. wasnt my intention at all.

;)

GeneChing
12-13-2007, 10:22 AM
I just wanted to ttt this thread again... :p

China : Olympics leather goods debut at Aokang's Night (http://www.fibre2fashion.com/news/company-news/aokang-group/newsdetails.aspx?news_id=46012&page=1)
December 13, 2007

The Olympics leather goods, showed by leading models like HU Bing, a top male model of China, and LI Zining, a champion of Model of the World, and designed and developed by Aokang Group, made their debut at Aokang's Night ie Launch of Olympics Leather Goods Design & Great Gala of CCTV Drama. Charming Shiling, and caught eyes of more than a thousand domestic and foreign

On November 1 a strategic cooperation agreement was entered officially between and by Aokang Group, the leather goods supplier of the Beijing 2008 Olympics, and CCTV-5 Martial Arts Competition at Oriental Media Center.

Martial Arts Competition embraced a partner in the following three years. Both parties agreed that this cooperation will be win-win.

The reporter was told by JIANG Heping, Director of Channel CCTV-5, "Martial Arts Competition has a very high audience rating.

The brand Kanglong under Aokang Group is very popular for its casual and recreational quality. From now on our Martial Arts Competition will be entitled Kanglong Martial Arts Competition officially.

On November 8 the National Five-Ancestors Fist Tryout of Kanglong Martial Arts Competition will be held in Quanzhou City of Fujian Province and subsequently a new whirlwind of martial arts will sweep over the country."

WANG Zhentao, President of Aokang Group, expressed, "Aokang Group has all along been having special favor of the athletic sports.

Many of its moves, from sponsoring Intercity Games to Cheering Squad for the 2004 Athens Olympics, and from becoming the leather goods supplier of the 2008 Beijing Olympics to the current strategic cooperation with CCTV-5 Kanglong Martial Arts Competition, have all shown the attitude of Aokang Group expecting to give full play to the nation's indomitability through the support for China's sports.

Furthermore, Aokang Group has found from this strategic cooperation of Kanglong Martial Arts Competition that the sponsoring of promoting China's quintessence martial arts can not only carry forward China's traditional culture but also achieve the commercial value, thus being dual-purpose.

Hence, the cultural meaning of Kanglong casual shoes under the group can be built up while efforts are made for the national culture."

It's reported that the brand Kanglong has developed the fist products for major matches of 2007 Kanglong Martial Arts Competition regarding the strategic cooperation with CCTV-5.

At the site of product display by models, the reporter interviewed the director of Kanglong Brand Center and he told, "the products of every fist type are different in accordance with their characteristics, but all of them share a feature hi-tech "air-conditioning technology", thus achieving the function of real breathing of shoes.

The spiritual meaning of Chinese martial art is infinite and profound, which contains a powerful culture system of mental health besides the bodybuilding to balance both body and mind.

The alliance between the brand Kanglong and the program Martial Arts Competition this time is to establish a three-year alliance of strategic cooperation on a key cultural position."

The professionals of martial arts on the site expressed that Martial Arts Competition had been an event of martial arts with the largest scale and the highest level in China's history, which had played an active role in promoting the spread and inheritance of China's traditional culture. To choose a strong co-partner will fuel the promotion of martial arts.

It's reported that Kanglong has completed the grafting of its culture and the trimming of its sales outlets centering on the cooperation of Kanglong Martial Arts Competition. The match scenes and culture of Kanglong Martial Arts Competition have been implanted in all terminals.

As for the product planning, Kanglong took the initiative in seeking the market segmentation so that the products can embody the meaning of martial arts better. The purpose is to make consumers and fans of martial arts "walk across the world leisurely" really.