PDA

View Full Version : Early Ip Man Students

MrBump
11-08-2007, 03:07 AM
Don't know if this is the correct forum for this post, or if the topic has been done to death (I don't often visit forums...), but here goes anyway.

I've read and heard lots about Ip Mans later students, WSL, Victor Kan, William Cheung, LT etc, but I rarely see or hear of the students and their descendants that studied with Ip Man when he was younger man - presumably he was teaching earlier on in his life? Or did he only teach towards the end of his life?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Mark.

Nick Forrer
11-08-2007, 06:00 AM
Lun Gai was one of these students and is still alive and teaching

Here is an interview with his student Mark Hobbs

http://www.alanorr.com/htdocs/articles/hobbsarticle.html

MrBump
11-08-2007, 06:16 AM
Very interesting Nick, thank you.

Mark.

t_niehoff
11-08-2007, 07:09 AM

Although I have some quibbles some of the things said, overall I think Mark Hobbs' interview is a very good.

k gledhill
11-09-2007, 05:12 PM
good article ... I trained under Victor Kan first and found the syllabus was shared by a few as a 'time period' I went to one school in the west coast of the usa on a seminar from london [ no names no politics] and it was a mirror of what i did , but with its own flavour....Both teachers from the same time period,both from YM, same ideas...then I started with A direct sudent of WSL and found a completely missing idea, that none shared....like a mind set took over to standardize a 'product' [ big mistake] as opposed to a flowing freefighting mind set with no arm shapes stuck in the air to say ' look at me Im doing VT ' ....only a training aid shown in forms that did not carry over to the real fight only to help develop the little idea as it grew into fruition, redundancy being the key word , only the later students didnt drop things to progress they turned them into money makers, a waste of time to fight with beyond striking in straight lines, like rockem sock em robots...

Kris Wu Tang
11-12-2007, 04:07 PM

Si-Fu Hobbs is my Si-Fu. He teaches wing chun and many other arts. I spent over 5 years attending different WC schools until I finally discovered my Si-Fu. I have found the Foshan wing chun (what Lun Gai/Si Fu Hobbs teaches) is probably the most effective of its kind, through my own personal experiences.

Its nice to see my Si-Fu getting some credit for his knowledge, so thank you.

LoneTiger108
11-13-2007, 04:11 AM
Does he 'qualify' as an early student of Ip Man?

Personally, I've been told that Lee Shing knew Ip Man from Foshan (Fatsan) and they were colleagues of the 'Restaurant Workers Union' in Hong Kong. So I guess you could say that he was a 'modern student' and an 'old friend', as it was Lee Shing who was asked to represent Ip Man in Europe wasn't it?

Also, rather like Lun Gai, Lee Shing had his own 'way of teaching' that he was never allowed to teach 'openly', choosing instead to only pass it to his closer students or 'Toh Dai'.

Perhaps what we need here is a list of names, anyone?

CFT
11-13-2007, 05:17 AM
Don't forget Kwok Fu who is in the same grouping as Lun Gai.

Vajramusti
11-13-2007, 05:52 AM
[QUOTE=LoneTiger108;816497]Does he 'qualify' as an early student of Ip Man?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont think so-IMO of course.

Joy Chaudhuri

LoneTiger108
11-13-2007, 06:22 AM
[QUOTE=LoneTiger108;816497]Does he 'qualify' as an early student of Ip Man?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont think so-IMO of course.

Joy Chaudhuri

Much respect to you Joy. I actually agree with the term 'old friend', rather like how some see Jiu Wan (Chiu Van).

Still waiting for a list of names though...

Shaolin Fist
11-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Nice Article...........an interesting read !

Does raise speculations however as to why Yip Man taught different versions ? and yes it has been covered many times before in this forum but as with all mysteries people will continue to ask till it's forgotten !

LoneTiger108
11-14-2007, 03:02 AM
Does this help at all? Can't remember what site I found this tree on, and it is a good starting point.

k gledhill
11-14-2007, 01:36 PM
I dont think YM taught different versions ;)...easy way to explain "why we are sooo different " , he taught a different idea that day :rolleyes: or a secret way ;)

theres a s&cker born every minute

LoneTiger108
11-15-2007, 02:27 AM
I dont think YM taught different versions ;)...easy way to explain "why we are sooo different " , he taught a different idea that day :rolleyes: or a secret way ;)

theres a s&cker born every minute

... and a robot born every second!

Which one are you?