PDA

View Full Version : Training Regimen Advice

I-K
11-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Tried searching... no dice... so...

...what do peeps' training schedules look like? How much do you train, how often, and why?

Mine, at present, is just Kung Fu either 3 or 4 times a week (Mon, Tue and Thu evenings, Sat morning if I get there - have a sporadic second job which takes up some weekends), all at just the one kwoon; 90mins to two hours in class (two 15min blocks of warm-up/conditioning, 30min blocks of technique and form each), 10-15mins solo warmup on the speedball or the heavy bag beforehand, 30-45mins of none-too-intense solo practice afterwards - mostly form.

I don't feel that's adequate; there should be some strength training in there (possibly on the free evenings, Wednesday and Friday), and possibly a bike ride on Saturday or Sunday afternoon, but I find I just don't have the time and/or energy for it... even as it is, I only get between five and six hours of sleep a weeknight, with a sleep-in on Sunday to catch up.

So, what do people reckon? What's a good mix of training? How much time in the gym, and, more importantly, how much solo practice in the backyard is required for a well-rounded training regime which does more than just make you tired? What can you skip, and what's essential?

bodhitree
11-11-2007, 07:31 PM
I would suggest adding a strength and conditioning program to your regimen. You could go through the strength training links thread here here on this forum, or go to

www.rosstraining.com

or www.rossboxing.com

both of which have low tech/high effect training programs. You know yourself and your goals the best, design something to meet your needs!