PDA

View Full Version : Wrapped in Cotton Wool

MrBump
11-12-2007, 05:55 AM
Does anyone wrap cloth around their dummy to make it less harsh on the ol' knuckles?

Mark.

Vajramusti
11-12-2007, 06:24 AM
Does anyone wrap cloth around their dummy to make it less harsh on the ol' knuckles?

Mark.
-----------------------------------------------------------
IMHO FWIW padding on the dummy is not necessary-with right fist formation, right fist path and control- you dont need to bust up your knuckles or damage your hands.

joy chaudhuri

MrBump
11-12-2007, 06:29 AM
The right fist formation is one thing - however, there's only a certain speed and energy that you can direct at heavy wood without causing yourself damage, surely? Or do you take it more easy on the dummy than that?

Mark.

Vajramusti
11-12-2007, 06:42 AM
The right fist formation is one thing - however, there's only a certain speed and energy that you can direct at heavy wood without causing yourself damage, surely? Or do you take it more easy on the dummy than that?

Mark.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speed and power are good attributes- but gradual controlled buildup is the best injury free way.

joy chaudhuri

MrBump
11-12-2007, 06:53 AM
Absolutely.

So, from your perspective, better to go au natural, and NOT wrap a little cloth around? I've seen many people do this, I believe that the 9mm film of Ip Mans dummy form showed the dummy with some padding on the mid section...

Just curious, I personally have my dummy without any padding. But I'm wondering if a little padding might add a different dimension to my training.

Mark.

Vajramusti
11-12-2007, 07:01 AM
I am not dogmatic on this. If you are more comfortable with a little padding- I can see that.
To the best of my second hand knowledge- Ip man homself worked on an unpadded dummy. But of course in demonstration one can work on a dummy that is at hand.

joy chaudhuri

k gledhill
11-12-2007, 07:48 AM
A small strip of carpet works , i dont use any myself , its not required to do the punch with force just regain elbow positions and alignment, contact can be made with open hands with force . Using side palms &jumsao to maintain inward elbow training or inside vertical palm strikes for hitting inside the bridge[ elbow explodes off line laterally from inside, its not applications, just flowing SLT+CK
Even with padded ufc type gloves the force of the leg comes through to the focused point of the knuckles and can easily render your knuckles bruised up and badly swollen [been there done that by accident ]...the idea isnt to hit with force [ if you time the leg/fist you wont need to add force ;)] but to develop alignment of the idea from SLT and moving it using CK [ chiu ying]..timing with 'leg' to bring the arms to the dummy to train to maintain elbow/body unity/structure/force, rather than strike it from to far away for the sake of contact, using the arms alone , lifting the elbows in training time BAD ...sounds like a familiar mistake many commit:D here i offer my arm as a lever to the vt gods for sacrifice ;) training on the dummy should emulate the idea being developed from day 1 ....not a series of arm actions with elbows sky high. tight elbows carries over to close quarter work. my 2c

one can use great force to strike the arms but the right way to develop [ging] shock force while holding our line [ pole work]... bong is developed on the lower arm for this upper bong more for alignment of Vu and bong together. certain actions are with tremendous focus that cant be done repeatedly to a live person for hours ....they would need to have wooden arms and a neck made of jello. Heavy bags /pads /wall bags/ kick bags, for impact training, dummy for....?

MrBump
11-12-2007, 08:19 AM
training on the dummy should emulate the idea being developed from day 1 ....not a series of arm actions with elbows sky high.

Yep, definitely agree with that also.

I've seen lots of WC, and lots of approached to the dummy. My Sifu hits the dummy very hard, when doing freestyle training on it. I'm of the opinion that this is OK - I know that some advocate a less aggressive approach but I don't think that the concepts explored in Sil Lim Tao exclude fast paced training on the Jong. And the energy that he uses is still soft and relaxed - I think that I'm some way from that, but one day...

Mark.

LoneTiger108
11-12-2007, 08:34 AM

Mark.

What are your wallbags for?

Back in the day, I remember 3 wall bags were 'tied' around the upper, middle and lower paths of the wooden man to allow students to get a feel for striking but as others have said, its not the be all and end all if you have never used a padded body. We also wrapped a wax-like rope around one once to help train in-between the knuckles, which I found well painful! Worked though. 3-4 weeks of that and you feel like you can do some serious damage...

Punching the wood as it is should be reserved for when you are 100% sure that the line and accuracy is correct, and obviously a body that you 'want' to make a few dents in lol!

k gledhill
11-12-2007, 09:53 AM
if you think of hitting as the idea on the dummy alone , you will lose your focus on what we have been developing all that time , body + arm unity ....hitting yes, anyone can hit like vt , but can you hit using the idea , what is the idea ? hitting a-b ? nope a jab does that...what is the idea...?....., the idea is being RE-INFORCED with movement angling to dummy arms in rotation of what was a clearing action back to aligned hitting again...hit /clear/ hit/clear/hit clear always elbow focus using pectoralis contractions not wrist to contact or thinking just to hit losing elbow focus....the dummy is developing a specific idea...unique , not like a ' another style' padded dummy . the reason there arent any pads ....? only a thin carpet to protect the knuckles form accidental contact ? ....the arms intercept ours because we are goin at the dummy making our idea work...not trying to fight the arms , the arms are there to give our alignment and positions /proximity /elbow levels / all work together while they deliver the unrelnting attack structure , in arm rotation constantly clearing with this focused shock force + alignment that is frankly scaring me when it comes..I know I have no time to think about my alignment and feet etc and movemnt with the attack that isnt going to let me breath for a second.....kinda like standing BJJ ...if done correctly, no time to recover....but not just chain punching caveman stylie :D a more refined wail.
VT + BJJ = : )

Liddel
11-12-2007, 04:17 PM
I dont think hitting the dummy is a good thing.

Sparring or hitting the heavy bag is where i issue force.
To many people just 'bang' on the dummy loosing focus on what kev was talking about. Structure and body unity etc.....

Although if im in the mood to issue force...use your palms...no padding required :D

Different strokes for different folks ;)

DREW

LoneTiger108
11-13-2007, 02:28 AM
...the dummy is developing a specific idea...unique , not like a ' another style' padded dummy.

Funny how I might take offence to this remark k, but I'm guessing that you weren't referring to my post about wrapping your wallbags around the dummy body?

The reality is, knuckles need to be trained just as much as the palms, elbows knees, shoulders etc and the wallbag was introduced to assist us with this development. Again, I love using bags, especially heavy ones but the wallbag offers something slightly different.

Personally, I feel that if you add equipment to assist in training, you are not 'becoming another style' you are adapting modern tools to assist development of your system. Perhaps even improving it. You just have to know what you're doing and be comfortable with your Wing Chun.

Where else do you see a 3 section wallbag?