PDA

View Full Version : What are the actual teachings of Mormonisum?

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Obviously not this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zy0d1HbItOo

SifuAbel
11-12-2007, 12:59 PM
:rolleyes:

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Whaaaat!?! :D

I am actually curious. Obviously that vid isn't it. I just wanted to show the source of my curiosity.

There, I clarified my original post a bit...feel better now?

MasterKiller
11-12-2007, 01:48 PM
http://i4m.com/think/southpark/

WinterPalm
11-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Apparantly South Park also got Scientology right. I had a hard time believing that!

Judge Pen
11-12-2007, 01:53 PM
If you get the chance to watch the PBS documentary on the Mormons it is fascinating.

http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=2657899&cp=2729308.2729341&parentPage=family

My wife was born and raised in Salt Lake City. She's not mormon, but she has an interesting perspective of them.

NJM
11-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Whaaaat!?! :D

I am actually curious. Obviously that vid isn't it. I just wanted to show the source of my curiosity.

There, I clarified my original post a bit...feel better now?

Can you name a single flaw in that video's portrayal, RD?

Not dissing a religion, just saying.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Can you name a single flaw in that video's portrayal, RD?

Not dissing a religion, just saying.

Reply]
The whole interplanetary God's founding man kind & being the foundation of a religion Prior to the wide spread exposure to Star Trek was the first give away....

lkfmdc
11-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Do you realize the Catholic church teaches the perpetual virginity of Mary DESPITE the existance of first hand accounts by Paul himself to having met the brothers and sisters of Jesus?

The way the church tries to justify this is by saying that Joseph was married before being married to Mary (ie they are kids from his first marriage), except there isn't a single source of this story?

Furthermore, Jerome who advanced more fiercly than all others the concept of perpetual virginity of Mary also claimed that JOSEPH was a virgin his entire life?

While many argue that these "details" should not, can not, dimish the message and meaning of Jesus, others still stand behind these concepts with no modification

IE religion isn't a rational activity, never was, never will be

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Not to mention we did not have Star Wars, nor the Highlander series yet either.

Mook Jong
11-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Jesus and his brother lucifer?

RD'S Alias - 1A
Do you realize the Catholic church teaches the perpetual virginity of Mary DESPITE the existance of first hand accounts by Paul himself to having met the brothers and sisters of Jesus?

Reply]
Of course, we can't be having the Mother of God himself seen as the adulterating cheat can we? I mean, Jesus's real Father is probably the Milk Man or the Post man.

The way the church tries to justify this is by saying that Joseph was married before being married to Mary (ie they are kids from his first marriage), except there isn't a single source of this story?

Reply]
Or maybe she was also banging the local Butcher and the eldest son of the local Blacksmith too.

Furthermore, Jerome who advanced more fiercly than all others the concept of perpetual virginity of Mary also claimed that JOSEPH was a virgin his entire life?

Reply]
Sure, would you do her after all the pipe she's had?

Shaolin Wookie

While many argue that these "details" should not, can not, dimish the message and meaning of Jesus, others still stand behind these concepts with no modification

IE religion isn't a rational activity, never was, never will be

I don't know. I think they really had something there with the burning bush, and the whole Joshua stopping the sun so he could finish the battle thing (despite the fact the sun doesn't move around the earth)........but hey, they were onto something with the...wait, nope.....oh **** it, your'e right.:D

Shaolin Wookie
11-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Sure, would you do her after all the pipe she's had?[/COLOR]

I don't know, did I just get out of prison in biblical times? If so, it's a resounding "YES!!!"

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Sheep skin Condoms Baby!! :eek: :D

NJM
11-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Not to mention we did not have Star Wars, nor the Highlander series yet either.

Mormonism was invented in the 1700's and 1800's.

Like I said; do research, and tell me one thing in that video that is false.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-12-2007, 03:43 PM
The concept of inter planetary travel did not exist in the 1700's and 1800's. Back then we did not even know other planets were like ours.

NJM
11-12-2007, 04:02 PM
The concept of inter planetary travel did not exist in the 1700's and 1800's. Back then we did not even know other planets were like ours.

Not true. We did. In fact, we were already postulating that Mars may support life, and that the ancient riverbeds were sentient-made canals.

I was just testing you, though. The book of Mormon doesn't talk about planets, as far as I know. Never actually read it, I've only read books about the subject. I reccomend Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer.

David Jamieson
11-12-2007, 04:54 PM
At the root of nearly every religion is:

1: a human is elevated to the level of godhood and is considered beyond reproach.

2: a human claims that another was a god and told him what he had to do.

Most of it is a control mechanism to keep us from wantonly killing each other without remorse or consequence.

The feeling of "guilt" is the product of religions.

Is that a bad thing? I mean, is it bad for people to cultivate guilt inasmuch as it will contain their wanton ways and desires which in turn can easily and likely will harm others?

shouldn't we have mechanisms like religion to lay those foundations or is simple rule of law enough?

Those questions are infinitely more important than the roots of belief which pretty much don't have anything to do with reality or logic.

SifuAbel
11-12-2007, 05:19 PM
That video reminded me of the whole Scientology stuff.

David Jamieson
11-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Elron was the reincarnation of Smith. :p