PDA

View Full Version : Basics, Drills, Forms & Fighting analogies

Citong Shifu
11-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Hello Everyone!
Lets discuss the various aspects of CMA training and development. First off, I would like to state "Form/s, Drills, basics, etc Doesn't Equal Fighting or Self defense" (for those who want to argue this point, lol). With this said, What is everyones thoughts on the various developmental stages of CMA training and development?

Secondly - When training or emphasizing on application / fighting aspects of your style/s, What anaology do you have or use concerning the concepts and methodology per execution of technique/s (do you perform the application identical to your forms, drills, basics, etc or do you adhere to other concepts)?

Finally - What do you think are the most important aspect/s of training CMA?

CS

tattooedmonk
11-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Hello Everyone!
Lets discuss the various aspects of CMA training and development. First off, I would like to state "Form/s, Drills, basics, etc Doesn't Equal Fighting or Self defense" (for those who want to argue this point, lol). With this said, What is everyones thoughts on the various developmental stages of CMA training and development?

Secondly - When training or emphasizing on application / fighting aspects of your style/s, What anaology do you have or use concerning the concepts and methodology per execution of technique/s (do you perform the application identical to your forms, drills, basics, etc or do you adhere to other concepts)?

Finally - What do you think are the most important aspect/s of training CMA?

CSNo, but these basics , drills , forms, etc. can and should be able to transfer over to fighting/ self defense, if not then you are not teaching / learning martial arts. You are teaching/ learning exercises(i.e. TaeBo).

You have to have static and dynamic training, you have to train flexibility, strength and power . You must start out with corrective exercise training, then move on to functional training and finish with active training

As for analogies, I use whatever each student needs specifically to pass on the techniques or concepts.It depends on the individual. Ultimately should not the applications be done identically to the form?? If not how are you going to transfer these techniques over to fighting??

Most important aspects?? Stances, blocks, kicks, punches , throws, grappling, etc. It is all important. BASICS BASICS BASICS.

If you are teaching someone to activate their glutes you can tell them to imagine squeezing an object between their cheeks.:p:eek:

ittokaos
11-14-2007, 01:02 PM
But wouldn't that get them to just tighten their anus?

tattooedmonk
11-14-2007, 02:01 PM
But wouldn't that get them to just tighten their anus?No, that's the sphincter.;):p

Citong Shifu
11-14-2007, 05:20 PM
No, but these basics , drills , forms, etc. can and should be able to transfer over to fighting/ self defense, if not then you are not teaching / learning martial arts. You are teaching/ learning exercises(i.e. TaeBo).

You have to have static and dynamic training, you have to train flexibility, strength and power . You must start out with corrective exercise training, then move on to functional training and finish with active training

As for analogies, I use whatever each student needs specifically to pass on the techniques or concepts.It depends on the individual. Ultimately should not the applications be done identically to the form?? If not how are you going to transfer these techniques over to fighting??

Most important aspects?? Stances, blocks, kicks, punches , throws, grappling, etc. It is all important. BASICS BASICS BASICS.

If you are teaching someone to activate their glutes you can tell them to imagine squeezing an object between their cheeks.:p:eek:

TTM,
I agree! However, just because something seems functional doesn't mean it's efficient (considering application and fighting), which is most most important when discussing form application / fighting. I dont really know how identical one can be to their forms. These techniques can be carried over to application/sparring by understanding one's techniques and there function/s... All I'm saying is, application and fighting may not be identical, but resembles one's basics, drills, & forms. Thus, still looking like the form techniques, but more efficient or suitable for the situation. Did this make any sense?

CS

Shaolin
11-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Every aspect of training is important. Strength training, endurance training, forms, bag work, sparring, meditation, theory & discussion, reading, observing other arts and practitioners. Push yourself to be as complete mentally, physically and emotionally as your limitations will allow you to be.

tattooedmonk
11-15-2007, 04:41 PM
TTM,
I agree! However, just because something seems functional doesn't mean it's efficient (considering application and fighting), which is most most important when discussing form application / fighting. I dont really know how identical one can be to their forms. These techniques can be carried over to application/sparring by understanding one's techniques and there function/s... All I'm saying is, application and fighting may not be identical, but resembles one's basics, drills, & forms. Thus, still looking like the form techniques, but more efficient or suitable for the situation. Did this make any sense?

CS
I understand.

You obviously have to adapt from application to fighting. You should use applications in fighting scenerios to achieve optimal results in transfering these skills, it is the same with all your training..

ginosifu
11-16-2007, 06:59 AM
Everyone that I teach goes thru a rigurous basics course. Fundamentals stances punches kicks etc etc.

Strength and conditional is another part of the training, however, each school has to assess if there is enough time for a student to focuss on anything other than basics. What I mean is: If there is a 1 hour class and there is only time for the basics... when do you practice Strength and Conditioning?

The same thing would apply for competition forms. Basics first, then if a student want to get a form ready for competition...

Taking a strudent to the next level of training, applying what they have learned. This depends on the school. Does the school focus on Fighting? Forms? Spiritual Enlightenment?

Fighting:
What I have learned is that if your student can not effectively use the techniques of your system, they a just brawling. Your techniques, forms, moves and applications all have to adapt to the student and their body and the situations they might encounter.

Example self defense technique: You do your systems technique... It must work if the opponent throws the right punch or left punch. It must work if they throw a hook punch or a hammer fist. It must adapt if it is a knife attack or a gun. It must adapt for tournament sparring, MMA Fight or street encounter.

Forms:
If your student can follow the theorys of your system with good stances, good speed and power, then it does not matter what form or system they do. I am not a big tournament follower but we go to a few and my students are always in the top 3 for Forms, Weapons.

Ginosifu :p

Citong Shifu
11-16-2007, 08:09 AM
Every aspect of training is important. Strength training, endurance training, forms, bag work, sparring, meditation, theory & discussion, reading, observing other arts and practitioners. Push yourself to be as complete mentally, physically and emotionally as your limitations will allow you to be.

This is true! Which aspcts do you think are most critical when working with beginner levels, intermediate levels, & advanced levels?

Citong Shifu
11-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Everyone that I teach goes thru a rigurous basics course. Fundamentals stances punches kicks etc etc.

Strength and conditional is another part of the training, however, each school has to assess if there is enough time for a student to focuss on anything other than basics. What I mean is: If there is a 1 hour class and there is only time for the basics... when do you practice Strength and Conditioning?

The same thing would apply for competition forms. Basics first, then if a student want to get a form ready for competition...

Taking a strudent to the next level of training, applying what they have learned. This depends on the school. Does the school focus on Fighting? Forms? Spiritual Enlightenment?

Fighting:
What I have learned is that if your student can not effectively use the techniques of your system, they a just brawling. Your techniques, forms, moves and applications all have to adapt to the student and their body and the situations they might encounter.

Example self defense technique: You do your systems technique... It must work if the opponent throws the right punch or left punch. It must work if they throw a hook punch or a hammer fist. It must adapt if it is a knife attack or a gun. It must adapt for tournament sparring, MMA Fight or street encounter.

Forms:
If your student can follow the theorys of your system with good stances, good speed and power, then it does not matter what form or system they do. I am not a big tournament follower but we go to a few and my students are always in the top 3 for Forms, Weapons.

Ginosifu :p

GS,
Very true! We consider our basics, drills, and & forms training as conditioning (learning or building flexibility, power, speed, techniques, cardiorepiratory & muscular endurance, etc. This way conditioning is taught with every class. The different levels of conditiong are added as a student advances from level to level...

I approach application and fighting the same way. A technique that is only functional for one method is inefficient, at least thats how we think in my organization. We call this the universal stage or levels (some refer to it as adapting). Nonetheless, same as you stated. Good post.

CS