PDA

View Full Version : Choy Li Fut vs Karate

LittleCLF
11-14-2007, 10:23 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=asq0mX6_DOw

Hello:)
I just found this Video on youtube.. A choy li fut fighter against a karate guy.
What do you think?...
hmm.. Even tough the Clf man won the fight, his performance wasnt that great... I think.

Well I am a noob just started with chan family one month ago.

Sry4badenglish

Jeong
11-14-2007, 10:48 AM
I've always thought that as a CLF guy sparring under Karate rules would be very difficult. Not allowing punches to the head changes the strategy so fundamentally that if I was going to do that I'd need to rethink a lot of things. I mean half of the elements are aimed at the noggin.

LittleCLF
11-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Ah
That*s why the clf guy punched so much to the stomach. Now I*ve got the sense.
Hmm, well then he wasnt bad at all..

Shaolindynasty
11-14-2007, 11:14 AM
I mean half of the elements are aimed at the noggin.

The elements are conceptual. Say you practice the ten elements like they are depicted in the pictures on www.ngfamilymartialarts.com you would only be practicing one manifestation of that concept. The elements have endless variations especially when combined with the 10 lines of attack and asterisk footwork. That makes them easily adaptable to any situation.

Gwa Sow Chop
11-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Hey, I havent posted for several years, but thought I might share.

Wont comment on that specific fight, or those performers.........but.......

My best friend is a local Kyokushin 4th Dan Sensei, with a school.We competed in their Kyokyushin knock down tourney, and have trained with, and fought/sparred against that style for some time now. (10 or so years) I will say, those dudes, under legitimate coaches and schools are seriously tough. I like the spirit that they bring to the table. So much so, that I now dont promote anyone to Black sash unless they have , at one point, undergone the training to compete in such an event (Bareknucke Full Contact KyoKushin rules).

Training with the Kyokushin rules taught me that a sow to the body has to be shaped and delivered properly, or it has little effect, or wont work. Worse, your arm will be injured ,by some common elbow covers.

If all sow chuis (from a particular student) are aimed at the head, then I think that the student has stopped exploring the possibilities of their particular tool box. All strikes are aimed everywhere, and anywhere, the best effect can be achieved. Being too polarized in your approach always stunts development. One of my personal faves, is Lt chop, rt jin, lt sow to head, running horse off 45 degrees to left and rt sowto the groin, fist pronated and thumb joint outwards over the eye of the fist as the weapon. Voila. Sow chiui not to the head.

The fact is that we have weapons, and they have weapons too. What we should try to do is bring weapons to the match that they are not familiar with. Weapons that work. Weapons that will work in those circumstances.
THe idea here is to accentuate your strong points. If the sow and chop are big winners.......then bring them to the fight.

For example we fight primarily rt forward, but can and do switch.

They jab. We dont. We smash into them with chop, and then with tau lau or other concepts, double up the yum/yeurng, rt/lt/ or what have you with forward pressure, creating other leaks. Always trying to overrun them, or collapse their base of support. We try to use the pek and chin to the sternum, shoulder, lung 1 point, liver, or collar bone area. We bridge, use pak, poon, jop, cheun, etc to engage, clear, and create connection.
I love the sow used with forearm area, used as heavy artillery to smash the arms, biceps of a covering opponent, or someone that holds the guard in high and tight. I tell my students to look at someone with their guard high as something other than an opponent. I say, Imagine he is a heavy bag. Dont try to find a way between his bridge. Just use the forearm sow chui and try to cut him in half, at the biceps level. Very effective, as it is the equivalent to taking a thai kick to the lateral bicep.....only it comes a lot faster......and we WANT them to block. :-)

The point here...........and I hope I havent rambled too much..........
Is to keep all technique reality based, and to do so you have to fight multiple styles, personalities, varied rules, and conditions.

Test your art!
Test yourself!

Jeong
11-14-2007, 06:57 PM
The elements are conceptual. Say you practice the ten elements like they are depicted in the pictures on www.ngfamilymartialarts.com you would only be practicing one manifestation of that concept. The elements have endless variations especially when combined with the 10 lines of attack and asterisk footwork. That makes them easily adaptable to any situation.

Haha, I thought somebody might jump on that. Yeah, you're absolutely right, of course the elements don't have a fixed target, and yes, I've been known to throw the 'belly sow' (and other places) as I call it in sparring and other practice. That being said, I'd still have to rethink things pretty heavily if I didn't have the option of hitting above the neck.

I went to another CLF school and jumped in a san shou class where they practiced a lot of sparring with no head shots. Having come from a background where head shots are part of the strategy it really threw me off. When you can just put your hands in front of your torso and not worry about protecting your head it makes it much harder to open the opponent up. Of course your arsenal isn't diminished per se, but the different strategies you can use to create an opening are of course much less.

chasincharpchui
11-14-2007, 09:58 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=asq0mX6_DOw

Hello:)
I just found this Video on youtube.. A choy li fut fighter against a karate guy.
What do you think?...
hmm.. Even tough the Clf man won the fight, his performance wasnt that great... I think.

Well I am a noob just started with chan family one month ago.

Sry4badenglish

that clip was disgusting

i couldnt watch anymore after 2 minutes

the clf guy kept on turning away

hskwarrior
11-15-2007, 12:57 AM
Chasincharp........thank you.....i've been waiting for someone to say something like that........

i was totally ashamed to that guy had on a CLF shirt. what about the inside fighting of CLF? how come that wasn't present?

anyways, i didn't say anything because i was just like..........wow:(

JAZA
11-16-2007, 01:31 PM
this guy is just a beginner don't crucifies him

fawlung
11-16-2007, 03:53 PM
For a beginner, given the rules, he didn't do too bad I don't think. I believe the main thing that he had going for him was the fact that he didn't give up and kept on trying to fight hard.

Overall, it was sloppy and I didn't see anything that I would coin "CLF". He must've played football or something because he sure kept sticking his left shoulder into his opponent... ALOT!

It looked like he landed 2 decent kicks. One was a spinning kick in which he tried 3 additional times unsuccessfully and then the last kick looked like only what I would call an axe kick, however his opponent honestly appeared to be tired and didn't even have his hands up.

I noticed the "CLF" guy moving around on the balls of his feet as if to seem agile in-between interactions, yet he never utilized much speed of movement/agility during the match.

A nice Deng Guerk to the oncoming opponent might have slowed him down a bit.

A win is a win regardless.

I've definitely had times when I've competed and not performed as well as I had liked but every bit is an opportunity to learn and grow.

It can't be that easy to NOT look like a "Rock-Em Sock-Em Robot" when the only valid target with hands is the body. Would definitely be something I'd personally have to train for.