PDA

View Full Version : Dragonball

GeneChing
11-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Stephan Chow caught my eye here.

Fox takes "Dragon Ball" to the big screen (http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/4947/1/)
Written by Tatiana Siegel
Wednesday, 14 November 2007

Twentieth Century Fox is bringing the Japanese manga phenomenon "Dragonball" to the bigscreen.

Justin Chatwin will star as Goku, a powerful warrior who protects the Earth from an endless stream of rogues bent on dominating the universe and controlling the mystical objects from which the film takes its name. James Marsters is onboard as the film's villain Piccolo.

Actor-director-writer Stephen Chow ("Kung Fu Hustle") is producing. "Final Destination" helmer James Wong will direct from a script he penned. Ben Ramsey wrote an earlier draft.

Story is based on Akira Toriyama's popular manga that has spawned graphic novels, a long-running TV series and more than 25 videogames, which have sold more than 10 million units since May 2002. The Jump Comics division of Tokyo-based Shueisha published the "Dragonball" manga.

With shooting scheduled to begin later this month, Fox will bow the sci-fi/adventure worldwide Aug. 15. Chatwin has already begun training with 87Eleven, the stunt performance company behind the action sequences in "The Matrix," "The Bourne Supremacy," "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" and "300."

Chatwin's credits include Steven Spielberg's "War of the Worlds."

Marsters is best known for his role as the evil vampire Spike on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel."

Wong was an executive producer-writer on "The X-Files," "Millennium" and "Space: Above and Beyond." He co-wrote and directed "Final Destination" and "Final Destination 3."

ittokaos
11-14-2007, 02:32 PM
WOW....that's all I really have to say about this. Just wow.

doug maverick
11-14-2007, 03:19 PM
when ill about this film i thought it wasn't gonna get made. they were look for good martial artist originally to play goku and piccolo. i don;t know how they are gonna do this film i remeber the old live action dragon ball and it was laughable but i will see this cause who knows this might be the next matrix. some good people on board behind the camera.

BlueTravesty
11-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Looks interesting. I'm sure it'll be a lot better than the old live-action one maverick is talking about *Shudders*

If anyone can do it, Chow can. I think he may the only one who can capture Toriyama's humor. Hopefully the guys behind it can capture the light-heartedness of it too.

If this starts a trend, I hope a Ranma1/2 movie is next.

Shaolindynasty
11-14-2007, 08:49 PM
I don't think Fox can pull off a dragonball live acton movie.

doug maverick
11-14-2007, 08:53 PM
don;t worry about who is the distributor cause thats what fox is the distributor. chow is going to pull this off and the director is a good the director the sytunt team is a good stunt team. this maybe a good film.

doug maverick
07-29-2008, 11:19 AM
i just thought i'd post one of the earlier versions of the script might give us some insight as to what this thing is about.
http://www.scribd.com/full/3282645?access_key=key-2ht0vnywpot49hxy3e1b

doug maverick
12-10-2008, 10:17 AM
ok so here the trailer for dragon ball:evolution (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo4t8PeqJ6E)which is what its called now, and i got to say as much as i wanted this film to be good the trailers and leaked footage indicate that it sucks big fat guerrila nuts.

SimonM
12-10-2008, 10:55 AM
We sure this is an official trailer and not a fan-hack job?

golgo
12-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Does this mean we will now have the world's first 12-hour long movie? I for one will be very dissapointed if they do not have at least one 45 minute scene of Goku and Freeza staring at each other while grunting and twitching. They need to keep up with the spirit of the franchise ;)

I heard Jason Alexander was going to lose 50 pounds and play Krillin.

SimonM
12-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Does I for one will be very dissapointed if they do not have at least one 45 minute scene of Goku and Freeza staring at each other while grunting and twitching. They need to keep up with the spirit of the franchise ;)

Thank you sir, this comment made my day. :D

doug maverick
12-10-2008, 12:19 PM
We sure this is an official trailer and not a fan-hack job?

its the official japanese trailer.

golgo
12-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Thank you sir, this comment made my day. :D

Glad I could be of service.

GeneChing
12-10-2008, 06:39 PM
I confess. I had no idea who Ayumi Hamasaki was until I checked out her website (http://www.avexnet.or.jp/ayu/en/). Maybe this is marketed to a Japanese audience more than an American one, or they would have had Beyonce sing it. :p

Ayumi Hamasaki to sing theme song for Hollywood's 'Dragonball' film (http://www.japantoday.com/category/entertainment/view/ayumi-hamasaki-to-sing-theme-song-for-hollywoods-dragonball-film)
Wednesday 10th December, 10:02 AM JST
TOKYO —

Ayumi Hamasaki, 30, will sing the theme song for Hollywood film “Dragonball Evolution” which is based on Japan’s popular manga “Dragonball” series. Hamasaki will release an original song, “Rule,” for the live-action version film which will be released in Japan on March 13. The release date for the song will be announced later.

Hamasaki will perform the song in Japanese and it will be used in every local version of the film in more than 60 countries. In an official comment, Hamasaki said, “I hope both old and new fans of ‘Dragonball’ throughout the world will enjoy the film.”

I should change the title of this thread to add Evolutions...

Dragonball Movie Renamed (http://www.incgamers.com/Games/1799/News/Dragonball-Movie-Renamed/14482)
06 Dec 2008 by Jerry Friestad

The highly anticipated live action Dragonball film has been renamed Dragonball Evolution.

Rumours of this title have been floating around the web for the past week, Fox inadvertently confirmed this by registering the domain name DragonballEvolutionMovie.com, which now links to FoxMovies.com.

The title hardly makes sense considering the movie takes place when Goku meets Bulma and begins training with Master Roshi. Hardcore fans of the series recount that Goku didn’t face any large scale enemies with multiple phases or “evolutions” until later in the series. The evolution could possibly be Goku’s transformation under the full moon or the movie has a whole new plot line altogether.

The movie is still scheduled for 8 April, 2009 in the US and March 2009 in Japan. Unfortunately UK fans of the series may have to wait for the DVD release to experience the high octane “kamehameha” action.

Lucas
12-10-2008, 08:24 PM
didnt they learn with forbidden kingdom

:mad:

chow is cool and all, and im sure that white guy is...nice. but hes not goku. hes some dude

doug maverick
12-10-2008, 08:50 PM
what do u mean about forbidden kingdom? it was a hit. and a pretty decent movie. i hope we're not gonna have this whole convo about goku's race, because he is an alien, his race is saiyen not japanese.

Lucas
12-10-2008, 11:44 PM
well dragon ball takes place in japan in the anime for the most part it seems. seeing as how all the names are pretty much japanese for the humans. and forbidden kindgom is in china, but its all in freaking english. i would rather read sub titles.

Lucas
12-10-2008, 11:48 PM
well i guess all the names may have been japanese just because japanese people wrote it...

but goku sure was a short guy with black hair and black eyes...

Lucas
12-10-2008, 11:52 PM
also i highly enjoyed forbidden kingdom. one of the few movies i actually went to the theatre to see.

but, and i think a lot of people would agree with me, there was just a slight bit "off" with forbidden kingdom, not enough to ruin the movie at all, but it was there. the $$ does back some decisions for sure.

doug maverick
12-11-2008, 01:11 AM
well they never say if dragon ball is in a specific country you assume japan but its really just a futuristic city. and you gotta remember when i movie is pg13 its for the general public and the general public doesnt like to read.

golgo
12-11-2008, 07:16 AM
and you gotta remember when i movie is pg13 its for the general public and the general public doesnt like to read.

I guess this means we can pretty much count out any pig-man characters who have a fettish for sniffing women's panties... dam--n you PG-13, dam--n YOU!!!!

SimonM
12-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Lucas I loved forbidden kingdom.

Even though Jet Li totally phoned in his performance.

Also Akira Toriyama made the original manga as a response to Chinese folk stories. If it's set anywhere in the actual world it's probably actually in China rather than Japan.

Or possibly both.

Lucas
12-11-2008, 10:39 AM
well they never say if dragon ball is in a specific country you assume japan but its really just a futuristic city. and you gotta remember when i movie is pg13 its for the general public and the general public doesnt like to read.

rofl

to true.

and ya, simon / doug i get ya. I think that there isnt even japan or china, its just that weird anime otherworld stuff. i think they call it 'earth' but then there is a lot that makes it seem like some other planet all together.

but ill watch dragonball, and you know what. ill probably like it :D

im notorious for loving pretty much any action movie, pretty much regardless.

brothernumber9
12-11-2008, 11:18 AM
I understand creative liberties, but Roshi had facial hair, they could have at least given Chow Yun Fat a little Goat-t or something, or at least the ducky boy sun glasses. There probably was or is no easy way to make someones hair like Goku's so I understand that.
I've only seen one trailer so far and it didn't look like they included Yamcha.
I think the best way to watch this movie is to not compare it to the anime, but as something completely different with the same characters done differently. Kinda like Marvel's "Ultimate" series, how origins were sort of re-done.

doug maverick
12-11-2008, 11:56 AM
yamcha is in db:evolution. thats another thing why the **** is it called evolution, thats retarded.

SimonM
12-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Ok, took a look at the trailer.

Does it look particularly good?

No.

Does it look like a faithful attempt to maintain the Dragonball asthetic?

Yes.

Will I watch it?

Fvck yes!

Lucas
12-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Ok, took a look at the trailer.

Does it look particularly good?

No.

Does it look like a faithful attempt to maintain the Dragonball asthetic?

Yes.

Will I watch it?

Fvck yes!

word. I do think it looks like a really good effort. Im sure im going to be pretty entertained.

here is a pic that shows how they went for the GOKU hair do

the hair (http://accel21.mettre-put-idata.over-blog.com/1/45/35/30/Casting/bigGoku1.jpg)

another shot of GOKU.

GOKU (http://trylobyte.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/goku_set.jpg)

and lastly, simply because its so cool. Super Saiyan Goku Vs. Superman :D

Goku vs Supes (http://comics.programasfull.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/superman-goku.jpg)

SimonM
12-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Any word on the release date?

GeneChing
12-12-2008, 11:01 AM
CRI has the posters - click the link below to see Chatwin fondling his ball. :eek:

'Dragonball' Posters Published (http://english.cri.cn/3086/2008/12/11/1261s431757.htm)
The upcoming Hollywood adaptation of the popular comic book "Dragon Ball" released a trailer and promotional posters featuring the lead actors on Wednesday.

"Dragonball Evolution", the adaptation, stars Canadian actor Justin Chatwin as the main character, Goku, and American star James Marsters as the antagonist, Lord Piccolo.

Chinese talents were heavily involved in the making of the film. They include Chow Yun-Fat, who plays Goku's mentor, and the film's producer, Stephen Chow. Hong Kong-born American filmmaker James Wong directed the film.

The film chronicles the adventures of martial artist Goku from childhood into adulthood. It is the latest addition to the "Dragon Ball" media franchise, which was created by Japanese anime artist Akira Toriyama in 1984, and now includes TV, book, film, and video game products.

"Dragonball Evolution" is slated for Asian release on March 13 next year, before opening in U.S. theaters in April

SimonM
12-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks Gene...

heh... fondling his ball.
Here's the wiki page. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonball_Evolution)

Yamcha is listed as a character as are Chi Chi and Bulma.

Plus James Marsters as Piccolo (woot) and the woman who played the swordsmith's daughter in Heroes as the main female villain.

GeneChing
02-23-2009, 04:07 PM
...in South Korea...

02-18-2009 16:31
'Dragonball' to Make World Premiere in Korea (http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2009/02/141_39775.html)
By Lee Hyo-won Staff Reporter

The explosively popular Japanese comic ``Dragon Ball'' comes to life via Hollywood as ``Dragonball: Evolution.'' Before its world premiere March 12 in South Korea, the movie's cast of fresh young actors, Asian superstar Chow Yun-fat and former K-pop star Joon Park (Park Joon-hyung) turned up the temperature a notch in Seoul with their promotional tour Tuesday.

The original 500-plus-episode cartoon is based on the epic fantasy ``Chinese Odyssey.'' First published in 1984, it sold over 200 million copies worldwide and has been made into three TV animation series, 21 movies and 25 video games.

The new Stephen Chow production brings the story of a teenaged Goku (Justin Chatwin) who, upon the dying wishes of his adoptive grandfather (Randall Duk Kim), seeks out the great masters Roshi (Chow Yun-fat) and Bulma (Emmy Rossum). With his friends Yamcha (Joon Park) and Chi Chi (Jamie Chung), he must gather all seven magical orbs or Dragon Balls before the evil Lord Piccolo (James Marsters) uses them to conquer the world.

Extensive clips of the movie were revealed exclusively for the Korean press. ``I also love the comic books, but the manga is very (long). There's no way to put all that in the movie,'' said director James Wong (``Final Destination''). ``The goal also is to be able to introduce `Dragonball' not only to fans but those who don't know it,'' he said, adding that he wanted to craft a story that is relatable to a young audience. ``Hopefully we'll have a chance to tell the rest of it in subsequent movies.'' The creation of sequels will depend on the success of the upcoming film, he said.

Chatwin (``Invisible''), who had been a fan of the TV cartoon, said he was both excited and fearful of interpreting such an iconic character. He had to undergo intense martial arts training ― ``vomiting because they pushed us so hard.'' ``But it's a super fun movie and I'm absolutely honored,'' he said.

Chow, the hero of Hong Kong noir films, plays a rather comical role in the movie. Dressed in all black instead of his character's Hawaiian shirt, he jokingly said his wife ― who is also his manager and mentor ― ``forced'' him to take the role because she needed ``money to buy a very famous bag.'' He threw the crowded pressroom into more bouts of laughter with humorous Korean phrases. Chow was last here 15 years ago for shooting an action movie. He said he was surprised with the modernization, ``but kimchi is still the same'' as it is with the passionate people.

Park said it was a great honor to work with Chow in his second Hollywood movie after ``Speed Racer.'' ``Mr. Chow is such a huge star but on the set he is so humble and professional, and gave me a lot of guidance,'' he said. About working in the United States, the former G.O.D. rapper said he felt proud to see that the Korean film industry is as sophisticated as Hollywood.

A group of young women waited outside the venue, screaming each time Park spoke. Chung, an up and coming Korean American actress (``Chuck and Larry'') said she was surprised to witness Park's popularity when his fans greeted him at the airport Monday. ``He's my `oppa' (big brother); he took care of me,'' she said about working with Park. ``I'm so proud to be here,'' she said.

Screen beauty Rossum, who recently shot an advertisement here, said she was happy to return. ``Everyone here has a good sense of humor and I can see why everyone likes `Dragon Ball.''' Looking striking in a red dress, she said she tried to bring Bulma to life as a ``feisty, determined, intelligent, and yes, hopefully a little sexy, woman.''

Marsters pointed out that the movie is based on ``Dragon Ball'' rather than ``Dragon Ball Z'' and that his character Lord Piccolo is a powerful, muscular villain rather than a decrepit old man. Another difference, he said, is that the film does not feature Lord Piccolo's superpower ability of dismembering himself.

World premiere in South Korea on March 12. For all ages. Distributed by 20th Century Fox Korea.

GeneChing
03-06-2009, 10:41 AM
...then again, maybe not...

Chow Yun-Fat Seeks to Play 'Confucius' (http://english.cri.cn/6666/2009/03/04/1261s460108.htm)
2009-03-04 13:27:32 CRIENGLISH.com Web Editor: Xie Tingting
It might be hard for any actor to receive unanimous praise for playing the role of Confucius, but Chow Yun-Fat wants to try.

It might be hard for any actor to receive unanimous praise for playing the role of Confucius, the greatest Chinese thinker, but Chow Yun-Fat says he wants to try.

The "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" actor has signed on to play the title role in director Hu Mei's new movie, "Confucius", the newspaper Metropolis Express reported on Wednesday.

In an interview with the Hong Kong publication Tungstar, Chow confirmed he had been invited and would like to accept the offer, but final negotiations still need to be ironed out.

Chow's latest offering is the Hollywood-made fantasy adventure "Dragonball Evolution", which will open in the U.S. next month.

The international following that Chow enjoys is expected to help expand the global market for "Confucius", the Metropolis Express report says.

But opinions vary on whether Hong Kong-born Chow is able to portray the great philosopher. Some say they don't want to see a Cantonese-speaking Confucius, suggesting Chow has lots to do to improve his Mandarin.

In a survey conducted by Sina.com.cn, voices for and against are almost split down the middle.

Besides Chow, mainland actor Chen Daoming and actress Zhou Xun are reported to be joining the cast.

Director Hu Mei and the film's investors have not commented on the involvement of the three actors.

The date for filming to begin is also being kept under wraps.

Shaolinlueb
03-06-2009, 12:01 PM
this movie i think is going to be total garbage. but i will see it anyways. i was never really a fan of dbz.

Shaolinlueb
03-17-2009, 09:28 AM
well this hunk of garbage debuted in japan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBjNoa6TD6I

from white people

opening weekend
http://dbthemovie.com/

At No. 4, Fox’s “Dragonball Evolution” premiered in eight Asian markets before its April 8 domestic opening. Director James Wong’s live-action adaptation of the famous Japanese cartoon series created by Akira Toriyama co-stars Justin Chatwin and Chow Yun-fat and drew $10.1 million from 2,110 screens.

Following heavy prerelease promotion in the region, it premiered at No. 1 in China, Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong and Singapore. The China opening tally, $3.4 million from 855 locales, was Fox’s fourth-highest weekend opening in the market. “Dragonball’s” No. 2 Japan bow produced $3.3 million from 540 screens.

GeneChing
04-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Here's the scans (http://project-xtapes.com/main/magazine/gallery.php?item_id=18200) - check it out quick because they might not last long.

Jamie was also in Samurai Girl (http://kungfuqigong.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51576). And Maxim UK just folded (http://kungfuqigong.com/forum/showthread.php?p=927334#post927334). :(

GeneChing
04-06-2009, 11:38 AM
We're doing a special local promotion with Twitter. See our website for details. (http://kungfumagazine.com/info/Dball/index.php)

Raipizo
04-06-2009, 02:52 PM
this movie looks so terrible compared to the show it has like nothing from the show on it =[

GeneChing
04-07-2009, 10:01 AM
...at least the Bay Area peeps might win. Then maybe they can deliver non-prejudiced review. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, we just went live with our own review. See DRAGONBALL: EVOLUTION: Manga Meets American Movieland (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=811) by Dr. Craig Reid

Shaolinlueb
04-07-2009, 10:41 AM
i would do jamie chung, thats all i can say positive about this movie. i still vote the 1980's Hong kong dragon pearl as the best live action dragonball. at least they stayed true to the roots.

RonH
04-07-2009, 11:08 AM
I saw the TV spot about a week ago. I wasn't impressed.

Raipizo
04-07-2009, 12:17 PM
well i even asked people in japan who have seen it they said to watch it just to laugh at how crappy it is lol

doug maverick
04-07-2009, 02:18 PM
well i even asked people in japan who have seen it they said to watch it just to laugh at how crappy it is lol

people going to see a film to see how crappy it is..........yeah......gonna leave that one alone........

Raipizo
04-07-2009, 06:14 PM
well no not to just say its crappy but just because its so funny how off the movie is compared to the actual show. It's pretty bad.

doug maverick
04-08-2009, 09:24 AM
well no not to just say its crappy but just because its so funny how off the movie is compared to the actual show. It's pretty bad.

ok but what did you expect? dragon ball is not an anime that you make into a live action version...its just not. so you dont compare it to the show. you let it stand on its own merit. not saying its good or bad, just saying judge it for what it is.

GeneChing
04-08-2009, 09:43 AM
"give her a beer, she’ll dance" ~ best line ever.
This article sorely needs pics.

Emmy Rossum, Jamie Chung Dragonball Evolution (http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_16609.html)
Movie DragonBall (2009) Posted By: Sheila Roberts

MoviesOnline sat down with Emmy Rossum and Jamie Chung at the Los Angeles Press Day for their new film, “Dragonball Evolution,” directed by James Wong. Based on the popular Japanese manga created by Akira Toriyama, the film also stars Justin Chatwin, Chow Yun-Fat, James Marsters, Joon Park, Eriko, Ernie Hudson, and Randall Duk Kim.

Emmy Rossum plays Bulma, a beautiful woman intent on retrieving the mystical Dragonballs. She’s a gifted young actress and an accomplished musician. Nominated for a Golden Globe Award in 2004 for her starring performance as Christine in the film "The Phantom of the Opera," she won the National Board of Review's Best Female Breakthrough Performance Award and the Broadcast Film Critics Association's Best Young Actress Award in 2005. She starred in the action film "Poseidon," in the blockbuster "The Day After Tomorrow," in the Clint Eastwood-directed drama "Mystic River," and in the independent feature "Songcatcher," the latter winning the Special Grand Jury Prize for Outstanding Ensemble at Sundance in 2001. Rossum's performance in "Songcatcher" earned her an Independent Spirit Award nomination in the category of Best Debut Performance. Her television credits include guest starring appearances on "Law and Order," and "The Practice."

In 2007, Rossum recorded her first album for Geffen records, "Inside Out." Using her classically trained voice as the primary instrument, she wrote and recorded all her own songs. Rossum is working on her second album in between film roles.

Jamie Chung, who plays the young martial artist Chi Chi, had the lead in the hit ABC Family original mini-series "Samurai Girl." The show revolved around Heaven (Chung), the adopted daughter of wealthy parents, who strives to balance a normal life with the Samurai traditions of her ancestors. She recently completed production on the independent film "Burning Palms," directed by Christopher Landen. Set in Los Angeles, the film interlaces five stories in which each character is pulled toward a comically dark fate.

Chung completed production on the remake of the 1983 horror movie "The House on Sorority Row." The film also stars Carrie Fisher, and is currently scheduled for an October 2009 release. Additionally, Chung recently wrapped Disney's television film "The Princess Protection Program," opposite Selena Gomez and Demi Lovato. Chung also appeared in the hit movie comedy "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry." Her other television credits include a leading role on "ER," a guest-starring stint on "CSI: NY," and recurring appearances on "Greek."

Emmy Rossum and Jamie Chung are fabulous people and we really appreciated their time. Here’s what they had to tell us about their new movie, “Dragonball Evolution”:

Q: Jamie and Emmy, can you talk about your training for this?

Jamie: Samurai Girl was the perfect foundation to prepare me for the conditioning and physical challenges that 87Eleven, which is the stunt group that trained us [to fight] brought. It was a whole different level. We’re talking cable show training to motion picture training, and it was very different and it required a month prior to filming. We trained every day -- physical conditioning, martial arts, wire-works, fight choreography -- and the days that I wasn’t filming while we were on location, it was physical training

Emmy: This completely kicked my ass. I had never done anything like this before. I grew up loving Jean-Claude Van Damme movies, it’s kind of a little bit embarrassing to say. Anything with him is awesome. And I’ve always kind of wanted to do a film like that and I always wanted to play a tougher, more independent, woman character and this was the perfect opportunity to shoot three guns, learn how to ride a motorcycle and dye part of my hair blue. So, in addition to all the training that we did as a team, which was pretty rigorous thinking back on it, I can only imagine it’s kind of like how women describe childbirth. Like it’s really awful when you’re doing it -- hold on, I’m going somewhere with this, I just thought of this over lunch – but two years later you’re like, “Oh, it was amazing, it’s great.” When you’re in it, it’s really awful, but also fun, because we were doing it as a team and it’s like group childbirth.

Q: Do either of you have a dance background that helped you with the fight choreography?

Jamie: I’m sorry, I don’t dance.

Emmy: I was a ballerina when I was little. A lot of it is kind of similar to a dance in that it’s a choreographed motion. Stunt guys have a thing they call the box, which is kind of like a ballet move when you’re in first position. Your hands are like eight inches from you bellybutton, there’s like a box that you’re not supposed to hit out of when actors are fighting each other, and that’s so they don’t hurt each other. So there is a lot of coordination and dance combinations that come in handy, kind of coordinated and rehearsed in a similar kind of way, but when actors get all method and really emotional in fight scenes, people bust their lips and break their toes and all of a sudden the box is like a whole big circle.

Jamie: It’s muscle memory so it’s repetition, repetition, and you get familiar with the movements and it’s lots of training and it’s to look sharp, but I’m not a very good dancer, no.

Emmy: That’s actually not true, she can dance. She was also the best fighter.

Jamie: I just don’t dance

Emmy: She does dance, give her a beer, she’ll dance.

Jamie: Karaoke and dancing

Q: What is your take on the manga anime characters?

Emmy: I loved the manga because it was a little more R rated, and I thought that the character of Bulma – the relationship between Bulma and Roshi always was very funny, and I really enjoyed that in my studies of her. And I think we kind of took everything we could from the manga and understand that some things are going to be changed just by virtue of the fact that you’re a live actor playing it live action. It can’t be exactly like the manga, but you try to bring the spirit and the energy of the characters, and the back story that you learn from the manga, and you bring it to this story, which is really an introduction of those characters.

Jamie: And then make it PG.

Emmy: And then don’t make it naked.

Q: You have some great costumes and also some serious hair in this. Did you enjoy that?

Emmy: It’s actually really good padding for any kind of somersaults or kicks to the head. It was fun for whipping your head around. I got kind of a whiplash.

Jamie: It was fun to look pretty and then fight real tough.

“Dragonball: Evolution” opens in theaters on April 10th.

Shaolinlueb
04-08-2009, 10:24 AM
i dont care. i am seeing this hunk of garbage opening day

doug maverick
04-08-2009, 12:09 PM
same here. ill judge weather or not its a peice of ****. been of fan of dragon ball since the early 90's when thy showed it at like five o clock in the morning. wpix(now cw oh wait actually they just became wpix again at least in ny)

GeneChing
04-09-2009, 09:30 AM
...you'll trash a trailer but you'll still go out to support the martial arts film on opening day. That's great for the industry. You guys are the salt of the earth, man. Seriously.

There's a ton of reviews on the newsfeeds this week. Been searching mostly for interviews with Chow or Jamie (Jamie just for SLL) but been coming up with a lot more on Emmy. She's been totally off my radar.

Actress turns placid beauty into power of a dragon (http://www.watoday.com.au/entertainment/actress-turns-placid-beauty-into-power-of-a-dragon-20090409-a1k2.html?page=-1)
* April 9, 2009 - 10:34AM

Buffed biceps were not necessary when opera prodigy Emmy Rossum, at the tender age of seven, sang alongside Luciano Pavarotti and Placido Domingo at New York's Metropolitan Opera.

Similarly, for her later roles in the 2004 sci-fi blockbuster The Day After Tomorrow and Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera, she didn't have to learn martial arts kicks and punches or long-range sniper skills.

But, for the role of warrior Bulma in the new 20th Century Fox action adventure film Dragonball: Evolution, the beautiful actress with the deep brown eyes embarked on a painful gym regime, trained with martial arts experts and was taught by US Marines how to shoot targets hundreds of metres away.

Stunt men trained her how to ride a motorcycle at high speed.

It was all part of Dragonball: Evolution director James Wong's master plan to turn the delicate Rossum into a battle-ready warrior.

``The trainers were like: 'We don't care if you have big biceps or not. You will have big biceps by the end of this training','' Rossum, now 22, said during an interview in Los Angeles.

``It was about three-plus hours a day, six days a week, before we started filming.

``I remember I went to James and said: 'This is really intense'.

``He paused and said: 'I want you to be a real warrior. I want you to look like a warrior, walk like a warrior and think like a warrior'.

``They really did that to us.''

Rossum stars alongside Justin Chatwin, Yun-Fat Chow, Jamie Chung and James Marsters in the film adapted from Japan's popular manga action series, Dragon Ball.

More than 126 million volumes of the cartoon have been sold in Japan alone.

The film follows Bulma and the young warrior Goku, played by Chatwin, as they race to collect seven magical orbs before the evil King Piccolo does. The owner of the seven balls wields unlimited power.

Rossum has been a fan of the Dragonball comics and spin-off TV series since she was a youngster growing up in New York and performing on stage at the Met.

``I grew up watching the weekend cartoon for kids when I was eight and nine so I knew a little bit about Bulma,'' Rossum said.

``She was funny and had blue hair. That's what I remembered of her at least.''

Rossum was not the only cast member forced into a tough training regime before filming began.

San Francisco-born 25-year-old Chung, as the warrior Chi Chi, became proficient at tae kwon do.

``Each character was given a different style of fighting,'' Chung said.

``They wanted Chi Chi to be really tough, so tae kwon do was coordinated in with my training because it is known for its strong kicks and punches.

``When I wasn't shooting I was training.''

The male cast did not avoid punishment when the cameras were rolling.

``There is a scene where I was getting thrown around in a truck and there was metal poking out and I sliced my arm open,'' said Chatwin, lifting his arm to show a long scar.

Another scene required Chatwin and Marsters, who plays the evil Lord Picollo, to fly at high speed through the air held up by wires, collide and then shoot 50 metres skyward.

``It was a comedown when we finished shooting that's for sure,'' said Chatwin, revealing the two actors geared up for the sequence by guzzling Rockstar energy drinks.

Wong admitted he was under a lot of pressure to deliver a film that would live up to the high expectations of Dragonball's manga fans. That is why he demanded his actors train hard so they could perform most of their stunts.

``I know there are a lot of expectations from the fans of Dragonball,'' Wong said.

``I have expectations for the movie myself because I'm a fan.

``The difficult thing is I know I will disappoint a lot of people because the manga has so many great characters and such a rich storyline that it is impossible to please everybody.

``I know people who will be disappointed because their favourite character is not in it or favourite storyline isn't in it.''
Wong has his fingers crossed the film will be a hit and allow him to direct sequels so Dragonball's many other characters and storylines can be explored.

Dragonball: Evolution is playing in Australian cinemas.

GeneChing
04-10-2009, 09:37 AM
"Hell hath no fury like an angry fanboy" ~ now that's a great quote.

So who will deliver the first DB review? Doug or SLL? I'm gonna put my money on Doug - he's got the east coast advantage. SLL will just say it's 'garbage' except for Jamie. :p

'Dragonball' star: 'No one wants to make a movie that people will hate' (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2009/04/dragonball-star-no-one-wants-to-make-a-movie-that-people-will-hate.html)
07:25 AM PT, Apr 7 2009

Michelle Castillo has a report on "Dragonball Revolution," which, for right or wrong, may be the most-hated film of 2009 that hasn't even been released yet.

Dragonball Evolution Hell hath no fury like an angry fanboy. At least not when it comes to the box office.

"Dragonball Evolution" is set to hit U.S. theaters on April 10 but it's already reaching legendary status as the 2009 film fans love to hate on, at least as far as the Internet is concerned. The makers of the live-action film hoped to tap into a built-in audience by adapting the hugely popular manga epic that had already spawned three anime series, 17 animated feature films and three television specials. Fans all over the world love "Dragon Ball" but, well, it's a thin line between love and hate.

Across the web, fans have been bellowing their anger over the choices made by director James Wong ("The One," "Final Destination"), who was to looking to streamline and mainstream the "Dragon Ball" mythology, which follows Goku, a monkey-tailed Japanese boy, while he trains in martial arts and searches for the seven Dragon Balls that are said to grant the wish of the beholder.

Fans are frothing on YouTube about the casting, missing characters, the fight scenes and even the hair styles. This is serious stuff to devotees who have followed the manga franchise since it began in 1984 and have shown their allegiance by buying up the tie-in card game, the assorted video games, the apparel and other merch. On IMDB, one fan seemed to think a holy crime had been committed: "I could go on for hours about what they did wrong ... may God have mercy on their souls."

One of the stars, Jaime Chung, who plays Chi Chi, in the film, is asking the fans to give the movie a chance by perhaps waiting until it reaches the screen before putting it in the same category as "Catwoman" or "Speed Racer," two other Hollywood movies that took hand-drawn fanboy favorites and turned them into spectacular live-action bombs.

“I feel like all movies that adapt some sort of [material], whether it’s a book or a manga or a cartoon, into a film -- you’re going to have to take creative liberty in order to change it so that it works for a motion picture,” Chung said. “It’s never going to be the same, and you can’t satisfy everyone. What James Wong did was he adapted it in a way where it still stayed true to the 'Dragon Ball' series, with the essence of the characters,” said Chung, who is most famous for being one of the housemates in "The Real World: San Diego."

At 20th Century Fox, the studio behind the "Dragonball" film, there must be some executives missing the old days when fans just waited for a movie to be released before deciding its fate. The studio leadership watched in horror in recent days as a stolen, near-finished copy of "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" became a torrid sensation on file-sharing sites. The FBI has stepped in but, like a man watching his gold coins scatter on a crowded street, the Fox team knows deep down that the damage is already done. (In a twist that will have execs groaning, fans claim that they downloaded illegal copies of "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" solely to punish Fox for its "Dragonball" folly.)

Dragonbal Evolution 2 This is a new era of relationships between fans and studios. Warner Bros. had a muggle revolt last year when it abruptly postponed the sixth "Harry Potter" film for no reason beyond pure profit-positioning; frustrated fans came after Warner chairman Alan Horn and pledged boycotts when the film reaches theaters this summer. Fan debate raged also this year with the Warner film "Watchmen," the Holy Grail of serious comic-book films, but unlike the old days where a controversy might propel a film for weeks at theaters, this time the movie generated more Internet traffic than box-office receipts and second-week grosses plummeted 67%.

Chung, for one, has put full faith in Wong, who she believes has made some controversial changes in order to make the film a bit more mainstream to new viewers.

Among some of the major twists include setting the story to take place during Goku’s high school years, as well as casting a Caucasian actor in the role. Other facets that faced the chopping board were fan favorite characters such as Krillin, Tien, and Chaouzu, who were removed in order to make the mythology more manageable.

None of that compares to the change that has fans pulling their hair: What happened to Goku’s towering spikes? The hand-drawn Goku is instantly recognizable for his massive black spikes, which jut out from his head like he has an ebony agave plant growing from his head. Wong opted for a somewhat more mundane level of spikes for Justin Chatwin’s ("Taking Lives," "War of the Worlds") natural light-brown hair.

Dragonball Evolution 3 Chang, for one, said sometimes change is good: “I mean you can’t make it look ridiculous,” the actress said. “When you’re doing close-up shots, and he’s wearing a two- foot wig, it just looks ridiculous on film. It’s so different from something that’s from a cartoon to something that’s filming something on film. It’s a completely different world, and it was a huge challenge for James, and I feel like he really overcame.”

Chung also believes the cast was well chosen – despite the fact that they might not look like their traditional Japanese characters. The cast includes Asian superstar Chow Yun-Fat ("Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon") and Emmy Rossum ("Phantom of the Opera").

Chung said there are plenty of reasons for fans to give Wong's movie a chance, whether it's the high-intensity action scenes (shot with a Phantom HD camera for frame rapidity that slows combat for a closer view) or the care given to make sure each character got their own fighting style (Chung's Chi Chi, for instance, uses taekwondo, allowing her to “look pretty on the outside, but fight like a dude”).

In an unconventional move, "Dragonball" was released first in Asia (as early as March 12, 2008) and the film has done well despite bootleg copies hitting the market. The film passed the $22 million mark at the end of March, according to Box Office Mojo, and that without any screenings yet in South America, North America or most of Europe.

The reviews by non-believers have also been more kind; Variety's Russell Edwards wrote of the film: A popular Japanese manga series gets a pleasing if paint-by-numbers live-action makeover in "Dragonball Evolution," which half-heartedly tries to keep the faith for its pubescent male fan base."

Chung said "Dragonball" is just beginning its fight to win over fans.

"No one wants to make a movie that people will hate,” Chung said. “We really want people to enjoy the movie for what it really is and to come in with an open mind and to understand where James Wong was trying to come from. Regardless of whether or not the fans will agree with it, they will be entertained. It has so many great elements like a story of love and friendship, and it’s an adventure with loss and sacrifice and finding your inner strength and destiny. I don’t feel like there is a dull moment in this film.”

-- Michelle Castillo

doug maverick
04-10-2009, 10:40 AM
yup planning on heading out tonight with the boys and some girl too.lol

GeneChing
04-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Just checking...just checking. :p

But seriously, if anyone goes in costume, post some pics.

doug maverick
04-10-2009, 02:15 PM
who the hell would i go ass mr.popo??????lmfao. no no costumes for me. the only movie im going dressed in costume for is michael mann's public enemies starring johnny depp (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWof6CovHxI)

AdrianK
04-12-2009, 03:45 PM
So was it as bad as Street Fighter? I'm still going to go see it, I guess.

doug maverick
04-13-2009, 10:09 AM
i doubt if its that bad. that film was lame and aweful. didnt get the chance to see it yet, weekend just got away from me. may go tonight. unfortunately this movie was a big blow to martial arts film as it was a 100million dollar film that only gross 4.5million domestically.

Shaolinlueb
04-13-2009, 10:22 AM
it came out? shoot i was away from everything this whole weekend. maybe tomorrow night i will see it.

AdrianK
04-16-2009, 12:23 AM
Okay, I just saw it.

It was alright. It wasn't as utterly horrible as Street Fighter, but it wasn't all that entertaining either. The jump kicks were ridiculous, but the jokes were funny. The kid playing Goku was sometimes too nerdy and weak, but other times he kicked ass too, so i've got mixed feelings about him.

Honestly as a kids movie its at least entertaining enough.

Shaolinlueb
04-16-2009, 08:49 AM
i am seeing it tonight.

GeneChing
04-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Should have seen that coming.... thanks AdrianK!

There's a ton of reviews on the net now. Here's a few...

'Dragonball Evolution' hams it up for laughs (http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=789704&category=ARTS)
By ROGER MOORE, McClatchy
First published in print: Thursday, April 16, 2009

We've had to wait decades, enduring first subtitled Hong Kong films and later sputtering Hollywood attempts at turning him into a conventional Chinese character actor, for our first chance to see the great Chow Yun-Fat cut up the way he does in "Dragonball Evolution." Whatever the director (James Wong of "Final Destination") was going for, whatever the studio intended in this film adaptation of a beloved comic and video game, Chow saw his chance to chew the scenery. And he took it.

As Master Roshi, mystical martial arts master, owner of a dragonball and of late, trainer to young Goku (Justin Chatwin), Chow goes for the laughs, and lands them.

"Believe it punk, you're gonna get your clock cleaned," he says when we and Goku meet him. He mugs. He grins. His every move is a calculated bit of tomfoolery. And he's a stitch, almost the only reason to see this warmed-over Far Eastern fantasy.

The death of Goku's grandpa and an ancient prophecy that says Goku must gather all seven magical dragonballs lest the world face apocalypse now � or by the next total eclipse � has brought Goku to Roshi. The lad just turned 18, just turned the tables on the bullies at Unitech High and just scored points with Chi Chi (Jaime Chung). But now he's off gathering dragonballs with the six-shooting sidekick Bulma (Emmy Rossum). Roshi should come along for the ride. And the laughs.

It's a silly film that goes down a lot easier than it could thanks to an awareness of that silliness. A bandit straight out of "Road Warrior" (Joon Park) signs on. Roshi goes to seek another magical talisman from another master (Ernie Hudson of "Ghosbusters" at his most inscrutable) who tells Roshi his plan to save the Earth won't.

The villains are led by a demon, Lord Piccolo, with Jim Carrey's Mask make-up (James Marsters). The effects involve a lot of swirling balls of light, big explosions and a very convincing house collapse. There's a lot of talk of legends and "airbenders" (an anime, manga and Asian fantasy convention). The settings are exotic corners of modern or remote China, glossed over in a sort of alternate sci-fi reality. The fights, though, are classic Hong Kong wire-work zany.

It's perfectly watchable junk.

REVIEW: 'Dragonball' could be worst movie of the year (http://www.qctimes.com/entertainment/columnists/linda-cook/article_df9fd66a-285f-11de-9ba1-001cc4c002e0.html)
Linda Cook | Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 2:15 pm
"DRAGONBALL: EVOLUTION"

0 stars
Rated: PG for martial arts-type violence
Running time: One hour and 30 minutes

A contender for the worst movie of the year was released recently. So those of you who do "worst movie of the year" lists might want to jot down the title of "Dragonball: Evolution" for your consideration.

You also might want to know a little bit about the history of this terrible film before you begin compiling your list.

Manga are illustrated Asian novels and cartoons. These stories, which cover a wide variety of topics, are printed by the thousands. "Dragonball: Evolution" is based on a popular manga series. Maybe it could have been presented as anime (Japanese animation), but as a live-acton movie, this is just incredibly awful.

Hundreds of years ago, so the story goes, the alien/demon Lord Piccolo (James Marsters) wanted to destroy the world, but he was imprisoned. Got that? Now, in the present day, Goku (Justin Chatwin) is being trained by his grandfather, who gives Goku a dragonball as his 18th birthday gift. Grandpa (Randall Duk Kim) is a martial arts master who promises Goku that "all will be revealed" about the young man's past and purpose on his 18th birthday.

There are these seven dragonballs, see, and the now-freed Lord Piccolo wants to get his hands on them so he can take over, of course. That's because if you have possession of the seven dragonballs, you will be granted "one perfect wish," whatever that means. Goku is aided by various assistants, including characters portrayed by Chow Yun-Fat as Master Rochi and Emmy Rossum as Bulma, a girl who has developed a dragonball detector and wants a certain dragonball for herself.

Goku is ridiculed at school. Bullies run over his scooter, mock him to his face and try to pick fights. Little do they realize this young man is operating on a vastly higher plane than they are.

Powers come and go as the plot lurches along. For example, I never did figure out why a group remains trapped in a pit when one of them suddenly rises out of it.

The acting is questionable at best, despite the appearance of some terrific performers. I had the feeling these actors had to keep things moving to stay within budget constraints.

This is supposed to be an exciting movie with lots of action. Instead, it's dull as can be. And just think: Another snoozefest is on the way, judging from the sequel set-up at the end.

Playing marbles would be more fun than watching another dragonball show.

Shaolinlueb
04-17-2009, 09:01 AM
gene you going to believe a bunch of people who write for a living and look for oscar performances in every movie or a bunch of guys who dont care and will only write good things if they have fun or not there? seriously.

i dont read reviews for that reason.

but they were right about the 2nd star wars movie :o

Shaolinlueb
04-17-2009, 08:18 PM
ok so i saw this movie.

i went in with low expectations with the way everyone was talking about it. i came out and enjoyed what i saw.

here is my background on dragon ball.

saw some of dragon ball, pieces of dbz, and all of db gt.

when i was growing up it wasnt on. not until highschool when we finally got cartoon network did i first see dragon ball.

the movie itself.

yeah the kid was too nerdy sometimes.

the women were ****s!!! especially my girl jamie chung. her character chi chi was getting all moist seeing goku kick ass and talk about chi.

the movie at times felt rushed. but it had some good stuff like "believe in yourself!" although i would question the message it sends to little girls which is "be all over the guy who kicks ass for your love".

other then that i went in with zero expectations and came out liking it.

edit*
i was on the can thinking about it some more. and here is what i got. (your welcome for the imagery)

when they introduced master roshi, he was looking at bikini quarterly and drinking beer, trying to get cheep feels off of bulma. as the situation got more serious he became more serious then at the end he was joking around again.

the form for the fighters looked like crap. choy yun fat faked it pretty good. (we know he has little to no training in martial arts. maybe some from CTHD)

the main character and jamie chung you could tell they have little to no training and to a trained eye, couldnt fake it well. it was laughable at times but i took it with a grain of salt.

the fight scene's, well read my above post, you want them good? they all moved like they trained in tkd at a mcdojo.

but i knew it wasn't going to be "as good as" the series. (which wasnt that good in the first place) :o I liked it.

doug maverick
04-17-2009, 10:40 PM
although i would question the message it sends to little girls which is "be all over the guy who kicks ass for your love".

this is exactly the message we need to be sending. love th guy who kicks ass for love. not kicks our ass for love.

Shaolinlueb
04-18-2009, 05:53 AM
well i forgot to add "and know how to use qi, cause chances are the hot girl you have no chance with loves you know cause 'she is a fighter too!'"

adding to my review on the previous page,
bulma and the guy who was suppossed to be the pig seemed under developed and just thrown in.

would have liked a bit longer movie to learn more about them.

Zenshiite
04-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Can a movie aimed primarily at men the between the ages of 14-35 really be considered to be sending any sort of message to little girls?

I know I wish my wife would fawn over me any time she sees me doing any of my kung fu stuff. Used to happen, I was doing Zhan Zhuang one night and she went absolutely crazy for me... sweat and all.

Shaolinlueb
04-18-2009, 11:53 AM
zenshiite with the win!! lol.

Zenshiite
04-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Yeah, you know... that would be a selling point for Tai Chi, Xing Yi, Ba Gua and Yi Quan if it worked all the time. Doesn't, unfortunately.

GeneChing
04-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Wow, now I got to see this. I've got a comp pass that I've been sitting on that was a perk fro our S.F. Bay Area Twitter promotion. (http://kungfumagazine.com/info/Dball/index.php) BTW, today is the last day for that. I'm not sure if they've got their 25 yet....

brothernumber9
04-20-2009, 11:06 AM
I just went to see it yesterday.

Any DB or DBZ fan is gonna have to go in as objective as they possibly can. Although there are some similarities to the anime/manga, there will be more than a little differences, that if you compare the film to the manga/anme, will leave you scratching your head or thinking WTF. So viewer be advised, go in with the idea that you have no idea what Dragonball is and without any notion of having it do more than have a superficial resemblence to anything else you may know as Dragonball.

Just like the Street Fighter/Chun Li movie, I expected it to suck really bad, and it did, but not to any degree that I wanted to walk out the theatre at any point. It's worth a rental or at least a view when it comes out on cable TV, or just to at least satisfy curiosity if you are a fan of the anime or manga.

Of the things there may be, to be dissapointed about with the film, the biggest would probably have to be that Toriyama's name was even associated as an executive producer. I assume other than that, he had little to no input on the film. Initially I was dissapointed as well with the actor for the Yamcha character, my first impression is that he may be one of the worst actors I've seen in a film recently, but looking back, he probably acted more in line with the anime than any of the other actors. They held mild semblences of the anime characters, but not more than that.

Although watchable, the bottom line is another failure in a long line of failures to adapt a manga/anime into a movie. One day Hollywood will realize they don't have to fix something that is'nt broken, and they don't need to rewrite stories and characters that are already successful, or at least accepted and EXPECTED. One would think that some of the way was already shown and proven to a degree through the successes of Spider-Man, Iron Man, and the re-booted Batman franchises. The closer to the source material, the better.

AdrianK
04-20-2009, 11:15 AM
although i would question the message it sends to little girls which is "be all over the guy who kicks ass for your love".

Its OKAY! They all went to see the Hannah Montana movie instead! Which Sam Rubin called the "Best movie of the year!" Even better than all those stupid boring totally lame oscar winning movies! :rolleyes: Hannah Montana for prez!... :cool:

Shaolinlueb
04-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Its OKAY! They all went to see the Hannah Montana movie instead! Which Sam Rubin called the "Best movie of the year!" Even better than all those stupid boring totally lame oscar winning movies! :rolleyes: Hannah Montana for prez!... :cool:

hannah montana for the loss.

GeneChing
05-01-2009, 09:36 AM
It's already gone. And I had a comp pass. I was just too busy to get out for it before it left the theater run. I was totally planning to go next week. :(

AdrianK
05-02-2009, 02:23 AM
Its okay, you didn't miss much. Go see "Fighting" instead :)

doug maverick
05-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Its okay, you didn't miss much. Go see "Fighting" instead :)

that movie was trash...dragon ball was probably better.

AdrianK
05-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Ehh, Fighting was pretty good. In that, it was a decent movie that was a huge step up from Never Back Down... THAT was trash.

But if you didn't like anything else in Fighting, Terrence Howard's performance was definitely unique given his usual characters.

The story has been done over and over again, but I thought the execution was pretty good. I give it props for not really trying at all to capitalize on the MMA fad, no loud overplayed hip hop in every scene, no idiotic "evil" villans, no vague mr. miyagi wannabe trainers.

It wasn't as good as it could be, it could've been a lot better. But for what it was and what we've been getting lately (Dragonball, Street Fighter, Never Back Down), Fighting was a huge step above.

ghostexorcist
05-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Although watchable, the bottom line is another failure in a long line of failures to adapt a manga/anime into a movie. One day Hollywood will realize they don't have to fix something that is'nt broken, and they don't need to rewrite stories and characters that are already successful, or at least accepted and EXPECTED. One would think that some of the way was already shown and proven to a degree through the successes of Spider-Man, Iron Man, and the re-booted Batman franchises. The closer to the source material, the better.
Amen!

I'm glad that I watched it online. This movie was so bad that it makes "Manos: Hands of Fate" look Oscar-worthy.

I will say the best part of the movie was the super delicious Jaimie Chung. I have a large package I would like to deliver to her front porch!!!

AdrianK
05-03-2009, 07:21 PM
I will say the best part of the movie was the super delicious Jaimie Chung. I have a large package I would like to deliver to her front porch!!!

Get in Line :D

Shaolinlueb
05-04-2009, 10:31 PM
but think if they did dragon ball exactly like it was in the cartoon. it would be interesting to say the least. go watch the 80's/90's HK dragon pearl movie. that is wild!

Zenshiite
05-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Amen!

I'm glad that I watched it online. This movie was so bad that it makes "Manos: Hands of Fate" look Oscar-worthy.

Manos: The Hands of Fate IS Oscar-worthy. Frank Zappa is brilliant in it!

Of course, it's only worthy of an Oscar with Joel, Tom Servo and Crow involved...

GeneChing
05-04-2016, 09:36 AM
May 3, 2016
Dragonball Evolution Writer Apologizes to Fans (http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/news/dragonball-evolution-writer-apologizes-to-fans/)

http://thedaoofdragonball.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/dragon-ball-evolution-ben-ramsey.jpg

Ben Ramsey wrote Dragonball Evolution, and he asked me to tell you that he is sorry.

Where did this sudden apology come from, 7 years after the movie’s premiere in 2009?

I contacted Ben to interview him for a book I’m writing titled “USA DBZ.”

The book has a chapter dedicated to telling the untold story behind Dragonball Evolution, which is Hollywood’s live-action adaptation of the series.

Dragonball Evolution is reviled by fans and has a 14% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Fans of anime and pop culture consider it to be the lowest benchmark by which live-action adaptations of anime and comics are compared. When a bad movie comes out, people say, ‘Hey, at least it wasn’t as bad as Dragonball Evolution!’

But where did the idea for Dragonball Evolution come from, who wrote it, what was the original intention, and why was it so disappointing to Dragon Ball fans across the world?

To find out, I asked Ben for an interview.

He replied with an apology.

Ben Ramsey’s Apology
http://thedaoofdragonball.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/ben-ramsey-headshot-dragonball-evolution.jpg

“I knew that it would eventually come down to this one day. Dragonball Evolution marked a very painful creative point in my life. To have something with my name on it as the writer be so globally reviled is gut wrenching. To receive hate mail from all over the world is heartbreaking. I spent so many years trying to deflect the blame, but at the end of the day it all comes down to the written word on page and I take full responsibility for what was such a disappointment to so many fans. I did the best I could, but at the end of the day, I ‘dropped the dragon ball.’

I went into the project chasing after a big payday, not as a fan of the franchise but as a businessman taking on an assignment. I have learned that when you go into a creative endeavor without passion you come out with sub-optimal results, and sometimes flat out garbage. So I’m not blaming anyone for Dragonball but myself. As a fanboy of other series, I know what it’s like to have something you love and anticipate be so disappointing.

To all the Dragon Ball fans out there, I sincerely apologize.
I hope I can make it up to you by creating something really cool and entertaining that you will like and that is also something I am passionate about. That’s the only work I do now.

Best,

Ben.”

Praise for Light of Hope
http://thedaoofdragonball.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/dragon-ball-z-light-of-hope-gohan-anton-bex-super-saiyan.jpg

Ben added, “By the way, Dragon Ball Z: Light of Hope was awesome! Excellent work, Derek. It’s what Dragonball Evolution should have been.”

Dragon Ball Z: Light of Hope is a fan produced live-action adaptation of The History of Trunks, and I am its writer and co-creator.

Dragonball Evolution was filmed with $30 million, and ours with $10 thousand, but ours is loved by fans, while Hollywood’s is not. Why do you think that is?

If you’re in Hollywood and want to create a new Dragon Ball project, please contact me. I write Dragon Ball books and screenplays, and I have scripts ready for you to read.

It’s a great time for a reboot!

I don't think I ever saw this in the end. I certainly can't remember it at all. I wasn't a Dragon Ball fan to begin with, so it would have probably been lost on me.