PDA

View Full Version : mantis students

mantid1
11-15-2007, 06:18 AM
My first ten years of teaching students wanted to train hard and were dedicated. This last ten years I have noticed a big change.

Yushan and xion seem to be having the same problem.

I think this is a big part of the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv52oVIcUKk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyVwY5b6-1g

Oso
11-15-2007, 03:41 PM
word...a new labelled group to dispise ;)

SanHeChuan
11-15-2007, 04:13 PM
So, It's all Mr. Rodgers Fault! :mad:

Yeah I'm a Mellennial, but I'm totally going to settle. :p

I think it's toy'r'us fault. "I don't want to grow up i'm a toy'r'us kid..."

yu shan
11-16-2007, 06:37 AM
Daily beatings whether they deserve it or not, it worked for me.

eomonroe00
11-16-2007, 07:36 AM
what about all the **** , chemicals, poisons in our food supply, all the legal drugs we take, asperine, advil,

i was watching c span the other night, and i heard the fda admit to spraying beef in this country for the purpose of keeping the color vibrant-and what pray tell are they spraying it with CARBON MONOXIDE-but of coars they tested the beef for safety right? WRONG the way the defined this new procedure it falls outside all boundries, its not considered a food additive or a color additive, so there is no regulation forcing anyone to test it.

oh yea, and not to mention all those chinese toys we chewed on , that we now know had all kinds of lead, and date rape drugs in it-

so who is surprised that the past 20 years the kids have no motivation no drive , and no attention span-this whole country is hopped up on drugs and chemicals-

in 1990 they did a study , where they found in the human body , 100 additional chemicals that were not there 100 years before-
ohh just had a business venture idea-

EarthDragon
11-16-2007, 07:59 AM
I blame subliminal messges in video games and rock n roll music.:p

SanHeChuan
11-16-2007, 01:48 PM
D*mn that Mr. Rodgers! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8ye4mYR878):eek:

Radplaiddude
11-19-2007, 07:45 PM
When i was in the Marines we made fun of all those people who hadnt a clue about what was going in the world as long as they had there starbuck latee with a hint of pumpkin spice.

seung ga faat
12-01-2007, 03:43 PM
We hve to constantly upgrade our teaching through regular reflection and emphasis on effective teaching methodology and differentiated instruction.
________
rehab community (http://www.rehab-forum.com/)
________
Straight-6 engine (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_Straight-6_engine)

Chosen-frozen
12-03-2007, 07:49 AM
We hve to constantly upgrade our teaching through regular reflection and emphasis on effective teaching methodology and differentiated instruction.

Somebody smack him.

I`m the teacher. I set the standards. Your job is to meet them. If it`s too easy for you , my job is to raise those standards. Period.

If you`re not struggling, you`re not growing. (I didn`t say learning, I said growing)

Oso
12-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Somebody smack him.

I`m the teacher. I set the standards. Your job is to meet them. If it`s too easy for you , my job is to raise those standards. Period.

If you`re not struggling, you`re not growing. (I didn`t say learning, I said growing)

you smack him, i've met him...no thanks.

As a teacher one's job is to try to teach people who desire to learn and are willing to work hard in their effort to learn. Their success is secondary to their willingness to work hard and attain what they can.

But, this is hard to get across to people today. I've run in to more people who I had to convice it was OK to not be Jet Li or Jacky Chan. This I think is related to the actual subject at hand. i.e. if you can't be 'successful' at something, why bother?

MightyB
12-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Actually I think young people are looking for more discipline in their lives. They don't get it at home, and they definitely don't get it at school.

So, when we talk about modernizing our teaching methodology- I think we should borrow from the structer that you see at most Tae Kwon Do schools. More structure and discipline- almost military like.

A lot of kung fu is self directed- heck, the kwoon is based on family structure- look at the titles: father- older brother- uncle- aunt, etc. People nowadays don't handle self-direction very well. Like little children, students will push to test your limits- start 'em with clear structure, and everything works better.

It works, just check the enrollment numbers at your local TKD center versus your average CMA school.

I'm not saying give away rank or any of that nonsense, but define boundaries, define procedure, set a clear start time and stick to it, set a formal disciplinary structure and things work better.

People like other people to do their thinking, that's why cults and bhuddism do so well in America.

Oso
12-03-2007, 11:44 AM
I think you're totally right, there. However, a large percentage of those same people want recognition for mediocre (at best) performance.

Being average is ok...if they are working hard and that's the best they can do. Not everyone is going to be Cung Le or (insert famous forms player) but as long as they are trying as hard as they can then we need to make sure they feel good about their effort.

People just tend to leave something they don't get recognition for. A school that demands hard work and doesn't necessarily stroke the ego will leak students to a school that doesn't have a high work ethic yet rewards them for every little thing (as you say below)

MightyB
12-03-2007, 03:11 PM
That is a tough one Oso.

I don't know, I'd say that recognition has to be earned, but try to explain that to anybody.

I wouldn't want to do what the McDojos do which is to give belts and patches for everything. "You showed up 5 times in a row- here's an endurance patch" "you paid your tuition on time- here's a brown belt" "you signed up and paid a year in full- heck, here's a 2nd dan black belt".

Yeah, that mentality sucks but that's what the successful chains do. I don't know what we as CMAers could do to get past that- maybe certificates for completing a form or displaying a certain knowledge of techniques. Like, here's a piece of paper saying you know 10 joint locks, here's one that says you know the three basic forms of our system. That seems harmless enough...