PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Brothers

DMK
11-15-2007, 06:06 PM
I have visited various kung fu and shaolin schools , but one thing I dont see is brothers practicing cma, then again maybe I am wrong or that is just the way it is in Texas. I know there are some teaching some where. Any suggestions?
By the way does anyone know if RZA from WuTang still practice shaolin?

Pk_StyLeZ
11-15-2007, 06:22 PM
what do you see being practice then??
confused....

CLFNole
11-15-2007, 10:11 PM
I don't think you understand what he means by "brothers".

Pk_StyLeZ
11-15-2007, 11:17 PM
I don't think you understand what he means by "brothers".

so you dont see *brothers* practicing cma....
or you dont see any cma at all??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF_BrHwFoss
u mean that kinda brother??

doug maverick
11-16-2007, 03:53 AM
you got to elaborate on brothers my friend this a kung fu forum brothers means alot of defferent things here. i'm assuming you mean black people. maybe not in texas but there are alot and i mean alot of black people training CMA in the us. i don;t know about anywhere else, i know mark ho has a black student in hong kong but mostly there is this stereotype that chinese don't like blacks weather thats true or not i can't say i had two chinese sifu's and they took me under wing like it was nothing so i don't know.

RZA doesn;t really study shaolin he studies Chi Kung with shi yan ming

DMK
11-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Thanks Brother Maverick for the explanation, I dont know of any organizations for African Americans in Wushu/Kung Fu and didn't want to offend anyone .
I have heard of wonderful things about Shi Yan Ming. I didnt know Rza was doing qigong.Cool.
As for the other questions .I have visited school in my area and some schools had no blacks at all some may have had 2-3. Even the tournaments you might see 10 if that.
I personally fell there are a lot of health benefits for anyone learning tcma.It would be nice to have a little more diversity

MasterKiller
11-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Forget the bruthas...I want to see more sistahs!

doug maverick
11-16-2007, 11:05 AM
well alot of blacks study japanese arts. because from what i hear jaapnese are more excepting. if your strong and lets face it probably four out of every five black people are physically strong.

xcakid
11-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Maybe just your area. My school has a pretty good mix. Although granted predominantly white. We have about 70 students total (kid/adult). If I were to break it down, roughly guesstimate:

60% white
20% asian
20% hispanic
10% black

ngokfei
11-16-2007, 11:49 AM
this is a weird topic:confused:

Logistics has alot to do with the race of students.

My Dai Si Hing is celebrating his 35th year with my Sifu so don't know where the thought of not accepting students based on skin color. Would definetly be kind of difficult especially in NYC;)

Lucas
11-16-2007, 12:41 PM
I have yet to date to hear of anyone (at least locally) refusing anyone lessons based on skin tone.

doug maverick
11-16-2007, 02:31 PM
i never heard of it myself. like i said my lung ying kuen sifu and my xing yi sifu were both chinese and they were the ebst too me also my hung gar sifu (who was only half chinese) was very kind to me even let me train in the school for free. do i don't know? its impossible to that in nyc even wai hong had black students that were in his chinese class. like vingrove thomas. but i remeber kung fu magazine did an article on it some years back about racism in kung fu. at least i believe so. gene i know you've read this post wanna shed some light man.

GeneChing
11-16-2007, 04:41 PM
In CMA, there are plenty of black masters. If we're just talking Shaolin, check out our 2002 January/February Shaolin Special (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=144) for Hip Hop and the Dharma: Shi Guolin's Disciple Jamel Brown Brings it All Together By Martha Burr. Martha wrote up an interview we did with Jamel when filming Shaolin Ulysses (http://www.martialartsmart.net/prmb001.html) for PBS. I've posted about Jamel before too (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=704866&postcount=16).

mickey
11-16-2007, 06:21 PM
DMK,

My suggestion is that one should go to the Brothers; especially, if you have something of value to offer. Go to the parks, churches, etc. and get them involved.

By the way, Brothers are very involved in Asian martial arts, Chinese or otherwise. Many can be uptight traditionalists and incredibly conservative when it comes to who they talk to about it and what they will show. Many will say that they do not know anything, very much in keeping with many martial traditions. As for Texas, I can not say.

mickey

Tom Christy
11-16-2007, 08:03 PM
well alot of blacks study japanese arts. because from what i hear jaapnese are more excepting. if your strong and lets face it probably four out of every five black people are physically strong.

I don't mean to intrude, but I've spent the better part of 30 years involved with the Japanese martial arts, including training in Japan. One thing I can tell you with absolute certainty is that the Japanese are not "more accepting". Individuals may vary, but overall the Japanese are as xenophobic as any group on the planet. The fact that more people, regardless of skin color, are involved in the JMA has more to do with availability than it does with any national sense of tolerance.

Happy training,

unkokusai
11-17-2007, 06:32 AM

1 out of 1 of YOU is an idiot.

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-17-2007, 07:31 AM
Maybe just your area. My school has a pretty good mix. Although granted predominantly white. We have about 70 students total (kid/adult). If I were to break it down, roughly guesstimate:

60% white
20% asian
20% hispanic
10% black

Reply]
My guess is that your local population demographics are about the same.

David Jamieson
11-17-2007, 07:43 AM
This thread has a real 1958 fugged up feeling to it.

I'm amazed just reading it!

wow!

mickey
11-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Greetings,

David Jamieson,

The thread does have that flavor. But is Texas so jacked up socially?

mickey

xcakid
11-17-2007, 08:35 PM

60% white
20% asian
20% hispanic
10% black

Reply]
My guess is that your local population demographics are about the same.

Yeah. Sounds about right.

doug maverick
11-17-2007, 08:38 PM
This thread has a real 1958 fugged up feeling to it.

I'm amazed just reading it!

wow!

it does doesn't it i knew i wasn't the only one

doug maverick
11-17-2007, 08:38 PM
1 out of 1 of YOU is an idiot.

why are you following me. that was a joke you moron. go eat a d!ck somewhere

doug maverick
11-17-2007, 08:41 PM
I don't mean to intrude, but I've spent the better part of 30 years involved with the Japanese martial arts, including training in Japan. One thing I can tell you with absolute certainty is that the Japanese are not "more accepting". Individuals may vary, but overall the Japanese are as xenophobic as any group on the planet. The fact that more people, regardless of skin color, are involved in the JMA has more to do with availability than it does with any national sense of tolerance.

Happy training,
actually i wasn't serious about that not at all. if you read the tone of the post its silly. maybe i should've put some smiles and lols around it.

unkokusai
11-17-2007, 08:50 PM
why are you following me. that was a joke you moron. go eat a d!ck somewhere

You sure seem to talk about eating ****s alot, mr. storyteller.

doug maverick
11-17-2007, 10:24 PM
not gonna turn this thread which is about a good topic into a you versus me match. whatever dude you win i'm the biggest lyer in the land i talk so much **** my mouth should be a sewer. whatever. back on topic please

mickey
11-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Again,

Is Texas so jacked up socially?

mickey

Shaolin Wookie
11-18-2007, 10:32 AM
A state that produces amazing men like a certain George W. Bush? You're off your rocker, dude!

richard sloan
11-18-2007, 08:57 PM
I have visited various kung fu and shaolin schools , but one thing I dont see is brothers practicing cma, then again maybe I am wrong or that is just the way it is in Texas. I know there are some teaching some where. Any suggestions?
By the way does anyone know if RZA from WuTang still practice shaolin?

shameless plug...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b59DLeKyLLE

RZA does more than Yi Ji Jing...

Nebuchadnezzar
11-19-2007, 01:57 PM
...The fact that more people, regardless of skin color, are involved in the JMA has more to do with availability than it does with any national sense of tolerance.

Happy training,

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Until Chinese films became popular here, the only martial arts known were Samurai films (ie: Seven Samurai, Musashi Miyamoto) and then there are the military personnel who came back from Okinawa and Japan with Black Belt and advanced kyu levels in Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shorei Ryu and Kyokushinkai as more examples.

It's very easy to find Karate instruction in this country (good and bad), especially if you're in major cities. That being said, it was available and blacks flocked to it.