PDA

View Full Version : You and your style.

SPJ
11-16-2007, 12:21 AM
this is inspired by mixing MA thread.

so I learned and practiced mantis and tong bei first.

when I learned Ba Ji, I had very tough time due to the influence of mantis and tong bei.

"original" Ba Ji may be with very heavy steps. however, if ba ji + pi gua, then the movements are like pi gua and only end with Ba Ji postures. this is a huge debate among ba ji practitioners in China,

after some standing in postures and breathing exercises.

I focused on practicing downward sinking jin and inch power. meaning relaxed all the way (tong bei) only tense an inch before the end posture.

I posted some practice vid's.

some like it, and yet most people were shocked.

I was practicing slowly as if Tai Chi, my body was totally relaxed as in tong bei and pi gua.

people complained that it is too slow, my body is too laxed, do you still call this Ba Ji? might as well practice Tai Chi.

a few people knew it. they said I was totally laxed and slow, true, however, when I landed my lead foot, suddenly I expressed focused power on the fist or elbow and my feet was rooted at the same split second, and yet the rest of my body was totally relaxed.

here is the thread.

http://www.wushuweb.com/forum/a/a.asp?B=68&ID=422554

:D;)

SPJ
11-16-2007, 12:29 AM
my point is that in the beginning, we may learn the same lessons from the teachers in a said style.

after that, it is totally up to us to take the lessons the way that we think is the best interpretation of the style according to our understanding.

I vary the stuff I learned all the time but still in consistent with the principles of a said style.

You is a very important factor in your style.

mixing your learning/styles is not a question.

how do you mix or integrate them into you that is the question?

:D

SPJ
11-16-2007, 12:33 AM
my brother said I have done enough damage already.

if I post vid's of mixing mantis and ba ji into ba gua

--

:eek:

SPJ
11-16-2007, 12:36 AM
my brother always likes to say " you suck."

ya I think I suck in many and many things, too.

--

:D

SPJ
11-16-2007, 10:41 AM
com'on people. I just gave away my "secrets" in a few posts.

please share your insights and how do you mix and churn whatever lessons you have.

Lucas
11-16-2007, 12:37 PM
I began my Chen Taiji training a few months ago.

Previously my training consisted primarily of shaolin, longfist, nanquan, and some minor wing chun training.

Out of those external styles, I still practice the shaolin on a constant basis. Still do some southern drills, and some long fist drills. Dropped the wing chun except for a few concepts/methods.

Now I have a lot of fun incorporating what I learn from my Chen Sifu into my Shaolin.

On a side note, I still have many habits from my Shaolin practice. Since I am still actively (and i dont plan to stop) training the Shaolin material, this creeps into my Taiji in subtle ways. I am interested to see how my Taiji develops in light of what I actively persue outside of Taiji.

My Taiji Sifu also teaches southern mantis, which at some point I plan on learning as well.

sanjuro_ronin
11-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Chen is great, if taught in a practical manner, the "silk reeling" is great addition to any MA system.

Lucas
11-16-2007, 12:56 PM
I am still really new to it, but my teacher definately emphasizes realism.

He says the #1 real reason to practice taiji is to learn how to drop your opponent as fast as you can.

I am in love with it now though. I feel like I found my place you know?

sanjuro_ronin
11-16-2007, 12:58 PM
I am still really new to it, but my teacher definately emphasizes realism.

He says the #1 real reason to practice taiji is to learn how to drop your opponent as fast as you can.

I am in love with it now though. I feel like I found my place you know?

Taiji can be the icing on the MA Cake for many people.

Lucas
11-16-2007, 01:03 PM
I love me some Icing!

B-Rad
11-16-2007, 01:24 PM
When it comes to baji quan, I think some people worry more about looking strong and powerful to impress people or feel cool, rather than practicing for personal benefit. If you think practicing a form more like taiji quan will improve your practice, then I think you should do it regardless of whether your form loses it's well known "baji flavor" in its appearance. Honesty in your practice and consistent improvement is more important than how other people view what you do. Yes, the baji explosive power is an important part of the system, but that doesn't mean you can't do something different once in awhile to gain other benefits, even if it's something as simple as using the form for relaxation and meditation, or improving your health in some other way.

B-Rad
11-16-2007, 01:31 PM
people complained that it is too slow, my body is too laxed, do you still call this Ba Ji? might as well practice Tai Chi.
Most of the best Baji people I've seen always use a type of relaxed power in their forms practice. Most people will only see the forceful end of each technique though and miss the rest, mistaking baji for a "hard" style like they see in a typical karate/tae kwon do class ;)