PDA

View Full Version : New weng chun video from Maria

Andreas Hoffman
11-16-2007, 01:48 AM
wonderful Maria published a new weng chun video on youtube. Enjoy !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-PFgo9olig

LoneTiger108
11-16-2007, 02:03 AM
Interesting. Some similarities, some differences. I'd say more 'Wudang' than Shaolin, but thats just because of certain characteristics I see.

Not sure about the 'Tiger Crane' combination logo, as this always reminds me of Hung Gar Kuen. Then again, this is the lineage of Shaolin Weng Chun isn't it?

Dave P
11-16-2007, 02:41 AM
Nice video Andreas!

Andreas Hoffman
11-16-2007, 02:50 AM
Thank you Dave. I will send the gratulations to Maria. It is her first video she produced.

VingDragon
11-16-2007, 04:33 AM
nice video. she looks like lucy liu :)

Nick Forrer
11-16-2007, 06:09 AM
shes certainly easy on the eye;)

Dont know about the sword counter shown at 54 secs tho - my understanding (from training in kalis illustrisimo escrima) is that you have to parry, evade and counterstrike all in one motion against a cut especially a 'heavy' one. You cant just stand underneath it and block as she shows at 54 secs. Its only possible if the guy doesnt follow through with his whole body weight.

Phil Redmond
11-16-2007, 06:27 AM

Dont know about the sword counter shown at 54 secs tho - my understanding (from training in kalis illustrisimo escrima) is that you have to parry, evade and counterstrike all in one motion against a cut especially a 'heavy' one. You cant just stand underneath it and block as she shows at 54 secs. Its only possible if the guy doesnt follow through with his whole body weight.

It's a demo ;)

sanjuro_ronin
11-16-2007, 06:31 AM

A typical kenjustu answer to a over head cut is to get in there and stab, as the blade pierces the chest it will "seize" the motion of the overhead strike, you can actually be right under it and be "safe".
I believe it is used in western fencing also.

But blocking is a no-no.

Nick Forrer
11-16-2007, 08:03 AM
It's a demo ;)

Really? I thought it was a fight to the death:rolleyes:

seriously tho...why demo something that doesnt work....unless you're showing how to get killed.

MrBump
11-16-2007, 08:16 AM
Is it demo, or is it theatre? Probably a little of both, I think.

And that's no bad thing, is it? Martial art instructional films are usually a poor substitute for a real sifu.

I think it's a great clip.

Mark.

Knifefighter
11-16-2007, 08:16 AM
Where was the anti-grappling?

LoneTiger108
11-16-2007, 08:33 AM
Where was the anti-grappling?

Right after the 'chop your hands off technique!'

Seriously Knifefighter, who wants to grapple with a knifefighter?? Good luck!

We're trying to appreciate the finer complexities of Wing Chun here, not worry about someone trying to drag us and our knives to the floor. Stupid.

This is a great clip, as it serves its purpose. Highlighting different aspects to a system that obviously has its roots firmly inside the Shaolin Temple (if you believe the 'stories') and also opens up the idea that Ip Man and his 'modern methods' may not be the be all and end all of Wing Chun. Just a superb starting point.

New life is good, as long as it's real...

YungChun
11-16-2007, 08:37 AM
A typical kenjustu answer to a over head cut is to get in there and stab, as the blade pierces the chest it will "seize" the motion of the overhead strike, you can actually be right under it and be "safe".
I believe it is used in western fencing also.

But blocking is a no-no.
I would think WCK knives user would tend to angle off and double cut the blade as a parry or check with one while the other cuts the arm/wrist--for an initial move anyway..

sanjuro_ronin
11-16-2007, 08:37 AM
who wants to grapple with a knifefighter?? Good luck!

That is a interesting thing to say, I suggest you look up STAB and RED ZONE.
You may find something of use there.

sanjuro_ronin
11-16-2007, 08:38 AM
I would think WCK knives user would tend to angle off and double cut the blade as a parry or check with one while the other cuts the arm/wrist--for an initial move anyway..

I would agree, mine was just a "FYI" type of post.

YungChun
11-16-2007, 08:39 AM
No need for anti-grappling when training with Maria.. ;)

sanjuro_ronin
11-16-2007, 08:43 AM
No need for anti-grappling when training with Maria.. ;)

I think we already have one sexual harrasment thread in regards to her.

Knifefighter
11-16-2007, 10:16 AM
Seriously Knifefighter, who wants to grapple with a knifefighter?? Good luck!

We're trying to appreciate the finer complexities of Wing Chun here, not worry about someone trying to drag us and our knives to the floor. Stupid.

What is stupid is not taking into account the role that grappling will probably play in an edged weapon attack.

forever young
11-16-2007, 10:56 AM
demo aside i personally feel its a little "kung fu hustle" for my tastes altho interesting in itself i diddnt see much in the way of directness or simplicity (knife flipping????? gun fu?????) altho in all fairness i would like to give her the opportunity to try any/all of that against me (while nekid and holding my 6 1/2 pole)

:D
just my 02
(lady if u read this pm for my address)

sanjuro_ronin
11-16-2007, 11:04 AM
demo aside i personally feel its a little "kung fu hustle" for my tastes altho interesting in itself i diddnt see much in the way of directness or simplicity (knife flipping????? gun fu?????) altho in all fairness i would like to give her the opportunity to try any/all of that against me (while nekid and holding my 6 1/2 pole)

:D
just my 02
(lady if u read this pm for my address)

First of, 6 1/2 is NOTHING to be proud of.
Second, what is with all the sexual innuendos ????

Knifefighter
11-16-2007, 11:06 AM
SR-
You missed your cue to start in with your collection of hotchixpix.

sanjuro_ronin
11-16-2007, 11:24 AM
SR-
You missed your cue to start in with your collection of hotchixpix.

Good point...still, I find this "abuse" of this woman tad disturbing, there must be "history" here, though that doesn't condone it.

forever young
11-16-2007, 02:17 PM
First of, 6 1/2 is NOTHING to be proud of.
Second, what is with all the sexual innuendos ????

1st off its actually 6 1/2 FEET:D:p;)
2nd off :eek: