PDA

View Full Version : New kickboxing format - best yet for kung Fu?

Ben Gash
11-19-2007, 03:43 AM
Clinching, knees, throws and no boxing gloves or groundwork. Could be good. I don't see the point in allowing elbows to the body and not the head though. You may as well just have no elbows.
http://www.ikfkickboxing.com/RulesXG.htm

MSphinx
11-19-2007, 04:43 AM
Looks like a more restricted version of Lethwei rules.

lkfmdc
11-19-2007, 08:18 AM
wow, san da with mma gloves, what a drastic and fundamental change :rolleyes:

(/sarcasm)

MasterKiller
11-19-2007, 08:26 AM
We use the TG4s to train, but this marketing line

These Gloves have the same shock dispersing capabilities as a 16 Ounce Boxing Glove.

is not really what I would call...accurate. :p

Jingwu Man
11-19-2007, 10:06 AM
So you're STRONGLY encouraged to throw the opponent, but no points are awarded for throws? Hmmmm.

WinterPalm
11-19-2007, 11:35 AM
In my opinion the kuosho people, USKSF, offer the best format. Knees to the head, elbows to everything, open fist strikes, throws, takedown, kos, etc. The gloves are soft foamy junk but you have great flexibility in the wrist.
I have yet to see something better for TCMA competition.

Ben Gash
11-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Yeah, but the faceguard is A) really annoying and B) means that there's really little point in kneeing or elbowing to the head, and would you really want to do open handed strikes against it?

lkfmdc
11-19-2007, 12:27 PM
1. The IKF are good people, worked with them a lot in past, but when it comes to figuring out how to incorporate throws into kickboxing they have a sort of mental block :confused: Never used the old IWUF scoring for San Shou, set up scoring system that was at best irrational, at worst gave the match to the wrong person

2. The Kuoshu thing is a "dead man walking"... even in it's homeland in Taiwan it is getting beat out by San Da and MMA formats. The face shield is ridiculous, as is the uniforms they make people wear. It's a "closed society" and thus the level is VERY LOW

RD'S Alias - 1A
11-19-2007, 12:36 PM
wow, san da with mma gloves, what a drastic and fundamental change

Reply]
Ross, why doesn't San Da go to the lighter MMA gloves too?

lkfmdc
11-19-2007, 12:40 PM
you want to fight with MMA gloves? Fight MMA....

if you do it enough, you'll realize that the more striking you do the less you want to fight with MMA gloves... for MMA you HAVE TO... to develop your striking, put on boxing gloves

sanjuro_ronin
11-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Yeah, but the faceguard is A) really annoying and B) means that there's really little point in kneeing or elbowing to the head, and would you really want to do open handed strikes against it?

The Daidojuku use the "space helmet" and while it protect from cuts and unseemly bruises :D, the concussive effects are all there.

WinterPalm
11-19-2007, 01:19 PM
The face guard is annoying but a) for an event where you pay to enter, you don't have to worry about your face getting busted up and b) you get used to it.
Knees and elbows have a good effect especially to the side of the head. Some events in the US you have to wear either a yellow or blue uniform...but the rules are good. And open hand strikes are good against it as well. I have torn off pieces of skin on my fingers but they seem to incorporate all the good qualities of TCMA without having to wear boxing gloves and allowing almost all hand formations.

sanjuro_ronin
11-19-2007, 01:36 PM
I bing out the "space helmet" whenever I am sparring someone that doesn't want a mark on their pretty face, like me :)
Usually because I have a job that requires that I deal with people that may frown upon dealing with a person sporting a busted lip/black eye/scar on face/stiches over eye/etc, etc.

lkfmdc
11-19-2007, 01:40 PM
There is NO perfect competition format.... they are all games, play different games and you will get better....

MMA has a lot of tools, it has a ton of positives, it can also when done alone create certain set habits.... like ANY game

BJJ with a Gi, submission grappling without it, Thai boxing, San Da.... IMO if you are the least bit serious as a martial artist, you should be doing these "games" (even if just in your school)....

Ben Gash
11-19-2007, 02:01 PM
I get 3 hits above, does that make me the least bit serious? ;)

lkfmdc
11-19-2007, 02:06 PM
I get 3 hits above, does that make me the least bit serious? ;)

no, I'm sorry, 3 out of 4 and you only qualify as a very feminine girly man who shaves his legs, but as a consolation prize, I'm sending you a pink razor to shave them with :D

Yum Cha
11-19-2007, 05:44 PM
There is NO perfect competition format.... they are all games, play different games and you will get better....

Finally, something for my sig!

lkfmdc
11-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Finally, something for my sig!

you know, at one time 6 different people had quotes of mine as sig lines (I still think 3 do)

Yum Cha
11-19-2007, 07:24 PM
..gee, you sure know how to make a guy feel cheap.