PDA

View Full Version : Other Chain drills?

Cimaroon
11-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Do folks here or have folks traditionally done any other movements like chain taan saus, bong saus,etc? Is it worth doing?

Liddel
11-20-2007, 04:59 PM
IMO its not worth doing. Unless you really are having trouble with applying the actions or elbow position.

Anything you do in training you must do for a reason, so why do chain actions of anything ? whats your purpose ?

If your method meets the desired result, do it sure....

But there are Tan Da drills with partners that are better suited IMO, although you need a partner....

Doing Chain drills (actions) of defencive actions only is against my view of how VT should be used.

The best defence is a good offence and any good defnce action should be married with an attack action in my VT.

Cimaroon
11-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Thanks, no reason for doing anything other than Im new and trying to figure out different things to supplement my little knowledge of WC.

YungChun
11-21-2007, 01:34 PM
The best defence is a good offence and any good defnce action should be married with an attack action in my VT.
Agreed..

Of course Tan is a weapon..and arguably contains both offensive and defensive components..

The chaining has become a disease.. It was only intended to teach basic connection of a kind of two handed movement..

Work two handed basic techniques, Tan Da, Lop Da, Pak Da, Jut Da, etc, open handed strikes, fists, elbows, etc, learn how they work in the drills and then try applying them, get a heavy bag too..

Then work on applying them as you understand them against a partner actually trying to hit you.. Get gear.. Start simple with single direct attacks and then work up to complex attacks, and then on to sparring when your ready.. The basic program will give you a base, just go out and test it as part of your regular training and look at what other people are doing both in WCK and out..

LoneTiger108
11-22-2007, 01:56 AM
IMO 'Lien Wan' practice is essential at a beginners level to enable a comfortable balance between the left and right sides of the body. Our signature fistwork is 'chain-like' in nature, meaning one fist is rarely thrown out on its own.

You can start by linking postures in simple pairs, then three, four etc. Contrary to what others say, without this simple understanding becoming natural combinations will be difficult and clumsy at a later stage and trying to 'spar' before any of the benefits are digested is just plain stupid.

Practising Tan Da, Lap Da 'drills' etc, isn't exactly the same thing...

YungChun
11-22-2007, 04:55 AM
IMO 'Lien Wan' practice is essential at a beginners level to enable a comfortable balance between the left and right sides of the body. Our signature fistwork is 'chain-like' in nature, meaning one fist is rarely thrown out on its own.

You can start by linking postures in simple pairs, then three, four etc. Contrary to what others say, without this simple understanding becoming natural combinations will be difficult and clumsy at a later stage and trying to 'spar' before any of the benefits are digested is just plain stupid.

My guess is, he, or anyone, is going to get pleanty of "chaining," and all the other traditional stuff, so spending extra time on such a thing IMO is a waste of time...

I think it's better when doing outside or extra training to work other stuff beyond the standard stuff, which in most cases is sub-standard.. Morover, basic attributes, like bagwork, getting a feel for hitting things and basic sparring drills are just fine for a beginner to work on, perhaps not the first day, but sooner rather than later, those who test and train more realistically from the start will have an edge over those who don't.. Most teachers wait way too long IMO to go outside the box..

couch
11-22-2007, 10:27 AM

While linking and getting a feel for how things/techniques/ideas can be paired/three'd/four'd, I feel that Chi Sau teaches this with a constant forward pressure - correctly.

My Sifu did have beginners link a few different techniques together while a partner punches, but this was quickly replaced with Chi Sau and "single-attack" defense to get an idea of the focus.

Best,
Kenton Sefcik