PDA

View Full Version : 1980's Demo in Hong Kong - Choy Lay Fut

Lama Pai Sifu
11-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Choy Lay Fut form - Demo in Hong Kong, sometime in the 1980's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycuUMwWBfTY

I like it. He's very spry and powerful.

I've had this tape for about 20 years, I'm going to put up a lot of the forms.

If I remember there is a bunch of Hung Ga, Bok Hok, Tai Gik and some Tong Long.

Good stuff.

hskwarrior
11-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks mike,

i can appreciate that video cause although i know it said he was buk sing CLF, he was using poon Kiu Chop Choi........something i thought was only in lau bun's branch.....

Lama Pai Sifu
11-21-2007, 05:25 AM
Frank, we do poon kiu, chaap choih as well.

I don't think it's really that uncommon. I do think that there is a lot more variation in CLF than what we commonly see out there today.

hskwarrior
11-21-2007, 07:10 AM
in some lineages, i know they have removed the poon kiu chop choy, but i haven't really seen it too much out there.....thats why when i see it, it's like hey we have that in our sets.....

Drake
11-21-2007, 07:22 AM
in some lineages, i know they have removed the poon kiu chop choy, but i haven't really seen it too much out there.....thats why when i see it, it's like hey we have that in our sets.....

Frank puts the "fu" in fu jau...

Some call him the "funky fu jau"...others, the "dreaded fu jau clawy rippy guard your biceps guy"

Satori Science
11-21-2007, 08:21 AM
we have the poon kui chop choi in our set(s) as well,

hskwarrior
11-21-2007, 08:31 AM
do you have one on youtube satori? that i can see?

i always thought and never really saw others do it, that was ours or just our lineage....idk......

thanks to youtube.......the CLF community is coming closer together.

sanjuro_ronin
11-21-2007, 08:41 AM
we have the poon as well,

:D
Sorry, couldn't resist.

hskwarrior
11-21-2007, 08:44 AM
well CLF people are known for having the POON ;) :p

Just look at my brother JOE KEIT....he has Great POON!!!!!

we he at? i miss him!!!!!!

Mano Mano
11-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Choy Lay Fut form - Demo in Hong Kong, sometime in the 1980's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycuUMwWBfTY

I like it. He's very spry and powerful.

I've had this tape for about 20 years, I'm going to put up a lot of the forms.

If I remember there is a bunch of Hung Ga, Bok Hok, Tai Gik and some Tong Long.

Good stuff.
Was some of the CLF element of that demo from bak mo keun.

Satori Science
11-21-2007, 09:53 AM
do you have one on youtube satori? that i can see?

Not @ the moment,
off the top of my head we only have that tech. in sup jee our trad. set with all our classical movements. I'll have more vid up gradually over the next year.

I'm working on some vid nospam & I shot in winnipeg a couple weeks ago, our yat mun kuen and gai bun kuen and some conversation on centerline . But no poon kui chop there.

If Sifu comes over tonight I'll bug him to let me video some of his ideas,

stout
11-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Sifu performing was a White Crane, CLF, Buk Sil Lum & Hung ga practiitioner. Didn't say which lineage of CLF, Hoi Chong looks pretty Cheung Yim. I guess to someone looking in from the outside, all CLF is just CLF.

hskwarrior
11-21-2007, 01:49 PM
i thought i heard him talking about buk sing choy lee fut.

hskwarrior
11-21-2007, 01:50 PM
but yes, that did resemble a fut san lineage hung sing form. i agree with that.

stout
11-21-2007, 02:04 PM
no Sifu Frank, he mentioned Bak Howk & buk Sil lum, no buk sing, just said Choy Lay Fut. The guy was aparently a White Crane & CLF expert. Only we practitioners care about lineage, no else seems to care.

5thBrother
11-23-2007, 12:25 AM
hey just checked out your Youtube ..

loved the lung ying clip

and this choy lay fat clip

shall enjoy watching the clips over the weekend

thanks for sharing many interesting clips!!!

firepalm
11-23-2007, 04:44 AM
The gentleman performing is Ho Bo Kwong and he is a Choy Lee Fut & White Crane instructor. The form is not a pure CLF form & is called Jung Hop Nam Kuen (Blended Southern Style), it was a synthesis form that he & several other Sifu developed back in either the late 70's or early 80's created along with several other similar such forms. At one point I believe they were using these forms as a teaching syllabus for an Kung Fu instructors training program in Hong Kong. Other Sifu involved in this project were Tu Shen (son of Tu Hon Sheng) and I believe Lung Kai Ming & Shek Kin (but I may be mistaken). There were several write ups back at that time in some of the major HK publications like New Martial Hero & such.

Hope this clarifies a bit.