Tien Gong Kyuhn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Be6ZoYde2c

Lohan Kyuhn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h8VSdxLDd4

Check out more cool forms from the Hong Kong Demo
http://www.youtube.com/user/kungfu531

stout
11-20-2007, 07:34 PM
cheers. At first glance, it seems v similar to CLF, except theres way more kicks.

Steeeve
11-22-2007, 05:35 PM
Tibetan white crane is a northern style....CLF is mostly a southern style ..

Tibetan white crane ,hop gar or lama pai have a lot of influenced from the tong bei quan ....
and the kicking of bak sil lum....and the Shuai jiao(for throwing and wrestling)

Steeve

diego
11-23-2007, 02:37 AM
More stuff from Hong Kong

2 White Crane Sets.

Tien Gong Kyuhn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Be6ZoYde2c

Lohan Kyuhn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h8VSdxLDd4

Check out more cool forms from the Hong Kong Demo
http://www.youtube.com/user/kungfu531

again thanks a lot:)

I notice their is a lot of seed fists in the TWC forms...I like Kaido's fighting intent forms more than their training basics forms...like it's just left uppercut, right uppercut...then he does a fighting technique kick groin punch face drop back deflect horse punch, turn spin etc...then the twc guys go right back into left uppercut, right upppercut:D

I got bored of kung fu dance a long time ago, it's gotta have fighting intent uno like eye of the tiger:mad::cool:

Lama Pai Sifu
11-23-2007, 04:51 AM
Tibetan white crane is a northern style....CLF is mostly a southern style ..

Tibetan white crane ,hop gar or lama pai have a lot of influenced from the tong bei quan ....
and the kicking of bak sil lum....and the Shuai jiao(for throwing and wrestling)

Steeve

Steeve, Lion's Roar and the Tibetan traditions are not "Northern" styles at all.

And to be fair, they have no connection to Baahk Siu Lum whatsoever, nor Tong Bei. It's easy to see how people might think that, seeing the many Long-Range strikes.

What most people don't know (outside of the tradition) is that there is a tremendous amount of close-range stuff in Lama. People mostly see the long-range techniques of Haap Ga and Baahk Hok and they think that the style is comprised mostly of long-range. This is untrue. Most of the basics are long-range, but Lama is mutli-dimensional; it uses much more than what you see in WC or HG.

Gru Bianca
11-23-2007, 05:47 AM
Steeve, Lion's Roar and the Tibetan traditions are not "Northern" styles at all.

And to be fair, they have no connection to Baahk Siu Lum whatsoever, nor Tong Bei. It's easy to see how people might think that, seeing the many Long-Range strikes.

What most people don't know (outside of the tradition) is that there is a tremendous amount of close-range stuff in Lama. People mostly see the long-range techniques of Haap Ga and Baahk Hok and they think that the style is comprised mostly of long-range. This is untrue. Most of the basics are long-range, but Lama is mutli-dimensional; it uses much more than what you see in WC or HG.

100% True, however I am not sure what you want to say with your last sentence. In TWC there is alot of short range technique, more then what I guess you might think?.

Peace

Lama Pai Sifu
11-23-2007, 06:29 AM
100% True, however I am not sure what you want to say with your last sentence. In TWC there is alot of short range technique, more then what I guess you might think?.

Peace

I didn't mean to imply that TWC or HG DON'T have short range tech. I'm using the word 'LAMA' as a all uncompassing word for all three styles sometimes.

:)

Gru Bianca
11-23-2007, 06:35 AM
I didn't mean to imply that TWC or HG DON'T have short range tech. I'm using the word 'LAMA' as a all uncompassing word for all three styles sometimes.

:)

Thank you for the clarification and thank you for your work.

Regards

Steeeve
11-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Thank for the info Michael

Does the lama or lion roar are something to do with Tibetan Arts or its just a history(legend)? I mean like some style are from Hakka...We always classified style by North or south

But agree Lama is very different and dont fit in this classification

Steeve

HOKPAIWES
11-23-2007, 02:34 PM
Lions Roar was a martial art brought to China from Tibet. As the art spread it was divided into 3 systems known as Lama, Hop Gar and Pak Hok Pai.

Steeeve
11-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Pakhok

I read that also about the lion roar came from Tibetan ....and divised in 3 style like you said....But Does all this history is right .....the lama style seem to be very present in canton ....the province of hung gar .....like GM CTS is a toisan country from Guang dong(canton) province...

Mike respond to me about the long fist and thats very true....

But ur right dont think just train:)

lkfmdc
11-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Lion's Roar tradition arrived in southern China around 1840's and stayed there, so it's no surprise many figures are Guangdong residents. After Sing Lung, most had backgrounds and cross training in southern styles like Hung Kuen, Choy Lay Fut, etc....

Yet, to say Lion's Roar is "shaolin" is incorrect.

Read more at www.LamaKungFu.org

Pakhok

I read that also about the lion roar came from Tibetan ....and divised in 3 style like you said....But Does all this history is right .....the lama style seem to be very present in canton ....the province of hung gar .....like GM CTS is a toisan country from Guang dong(canton) province...

Mike respond to me about the long fist and thats very true....

But ur right dont think just train:)

Steeeve
11-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Thank David for the link....
i know who you are and Micheal,Gus disciple of GM Chan Tai San in Lama pai and CLF

Does we could said CLF is in the same family of lama pai or lion roar or vice versa...dont want to start a war ...but just ask a question here....I mean does its the same

and thats very nice to open the doors to the public to show us ur Sifu teaching
GM Chan Tai San about lama pai and CLF

Peace

Steeve

Lama Pai Sifu
11-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Thank David for the link....
i know who you are and Micheal,Gus disciple of GM Chan Tai San in Lama pai and CLF

Does we could said CLF is in the same family of lama pai or lion roar or vice versa...dont want to start a war ...but just ask a question here....I mean does its the same

and thats very nice to open the doors to the public to show us ur Sifu teaching
GM Chan Tai San about lama pai and CLF

Peace

Steeve

CLF and Lama are not in the same family at all. Even though they share some techniques, each uses them differently, each has a completely different fighting strategy. Lama is very unique in it's combat theories; hopefully I will film some Lama in the upcoming weeks. David Ross will try to meet up with me to film some stuff as well.

No wars to start; we love both styles, as did our Sifu. Although David will probably agree, Lama is just a tad bit nastier than CLF.

lkfmdc
11-23-2007, 10:33 PM
I honestly feel I am now more of an MMA person BECAUSE I come from Lama Pai. The first principle of Lama Pai is "chaan" - to be ruthless, to do whatever it takes to win strike, kick, wrestle, lock or choke. This is Wong Yan Lam's lesson from the Lei Tai matches, he won with many different techniques, not one specialty

you can not say Lama Pai is "kicking" or "striking" or "wrestling" - it has many faces

The 8 character noble truth, the first "theory" of Lama Pai is basicly "to strike the vital areas while keeping your vitals protected" - this is why Lama Pai uses the "Chat Sing Bouh Faat" and "breaks/destroys the bridges" which makes it unlike most so called "shaolin" arts

Satori Science
11-24-2007, 07:40 AM
This is Wong Yan Lam's lesson from the Lei Tai matches, he won with many different techniques, not one specialty

Lama Pai uses the "Chat Sing Bouh Faat" and "breaks/destroys the bridges" which makes it unlike most so called "shaolin" arts

For those like me who don't know, who was Wong Yan Lam?

and could you explain more about "breaks/destroys the bridges" this is a very "un-shaolin" way of thinking, very interesting.

HOKPAIWES
11-24-2007, 08:55 AM
In a nut shell..

Here is some info for those that are interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibetan_White_Crane

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wong_Yan-Lam

Steeeve
11-25-2007, 04:19 PM
David ,Mike

The 8 character noble truth, the first "theory" of Lama Pai is basicly "to strike the vital areas while keeping your vitals protected" - this is why Lama Pai uses the "Chat Sing Bouh Faat" and "breaks/destroys the bridges" which makes it unlike most so called "shaolin" arts

Does the Chaat sing bouh chaat refer to the footwork ....I mean use the evasion footwork(7 star footwork) to avoid the attack or used bobbing,weaving evasive defense or use the principle of Break / destroy the bridge is to destroy(strike) the limb (the weapon who attack)...Strike break or destroy the more near target available to you when a guy punch or kick kick ? ? his feet or fist or arms and so on....Sorry guy my english is not very good:))

Steeve

jdhowland
11-28-2007, 10:13 AM
David ,Mike

Does the Chaat sing bouh chaat refer to the footwork ....I mean use the evasion footwork(7 star footwork) to avoid the attack or used bobbing,weaving evasive defense or use the principle of Break / destroy the bridge is to destroy(strike) the limb (the weapon who attack)...Strike break or destroy the more near target available to you when a guy punch or kick kick ? ? his feet or fist or arms and so on....Sorry guy my english is not very good:))

Steeve

Lama style bouh faat is not unique because of footwork that other styles lack. It is unique as a southern/northern system that applies such an amazing variety of footwork and in its theory of constant change. In the styles i learned "chat sing bouh" is the name of a technique, not a general description of the footwork, but the theory may be the same as CTS's lineage (Dave and Mike, help me out here).

As a general principle, every time a strike is initiated there is a new footwork to generate power and to make the attacker hard to find. Got it? EVERY SINGLE TIME you move, your stance is changing.

Breaking bridges is important because in theory the style allows no purely defensive moves. When you counter you are either deflecting your opponent's bridge with your strike, avoiding the incoming strike by attacking from a new angle, or attacking the bridge directly. Doesn't hurt to break the opponent's horse at the same time.

John

diego
11-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Lama style bouh faat is not unique because of footwork that other styles lack. It is unique as a southern/northern system that applies such an amazing variety of footwork and in its theory of constant change. In the styles i learned "chat sing bouh" is the name of a technique, not a general description of the footwork, but the theory may be the same as CTS's lineage (Dave and Mike, help me out here).

As a general principle, every time a strike is initiated there is a new footwork to generate power and to make the attacker hard to find. Got it? EVERY SINGLE TIME you move, your stance is changing.

Breaking bridges is important because in theory the style allows no purely defensive moves. When you counter you are either deflecting your opponent's bridge with your strike, avoiding the incoming strike by attacking from a new angle, or attacking the bridge directly. Doesn't hurt to break the opponent's horse at the same time.

John

Hello John, say you were in a Right leg weighted Cat stance and you hold his left arm with your left and hammerfist his groin with your right hand, bending your stance into the target...and then you raised up in your stance creating uppercut momentum for a right backfist to face..is this crane or Kaju...or is this crane footwork with standard Kajukenbo application?.

jdhowland
11-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Hello John, say you were in a Right leg weighted Cat stance and you hold his left arm with your left and hammerfist his groin with your right hand, bending your stance into the target...and then you raised up in your stance creating uppercut momentum for a right backfist to face..is this crane or Kaju...or is this crane footwork with standard Kajukenbo application?.

As a disclaimer, let me say that i have never been a student of Kajukenbo, per se. But i have trained with some Kaju folks and i would say this form is classical Kajukenbo. A couple of variations i have seen would follow the hammerfist with a strike to the upper arm to complete an armbar or bring the right hand up under his left arm and wrap his neck for a throw.

If this technique is in your repertoire you might want to consider whether you need to change directions with your right hand at all. Your right hand may already be in a good position for a throw or takedown. If your right knee is behind his left knee, just kneel for a takedown, trap his shoulder, jujigatame, ...whatevahs.

Be well. Train hard. They're the same thing.

John

stout
11-28-2007, 04:59 PM
Is Lama Kung fu ever practiced in Tibet, or was that, the origin of the style came from a Tibetian Lama.

What is Seven Star Footwork?

jdhowland
11-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Is Lama Kung fu ever practiced in Tibet, or was that, the origin of the style came from a Tibetian Lama.

The style was brought to Gwangdung Province by a Tibetan Lama. My tradition suggest that the system originated in Qinghai Province among ethnic Tibetans. Most of Qinghai was Tibetan in culture and sometimes Chinese in hegemony, sometimes a part of Eastern Tibet. Supposedly created during the reign of the third Ming emperor. The rest is speculation. Looks more like northwestern Chinese systems than southern. But different in theoretical approach from most northern styles. There are some interesting parallels with Indian fighting arts.

Lama Pai Sifu
11-28-2007, 06:05 PM

What is Seven Star Footwork?

It is diagnal stepping (on a basic level).

Here is the seven star form from the lama style.

Seven Star Form (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWXMFE_aKPU)

Enjoy.....

Steeeve
11-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Thank Michael for the video Chaat sing Kyun

and John for the explainaition.....

I see what you mean by Chaat Sing Bout Faat....theory

Steeve

stout
11-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Cheers Lama Pai Sifu. Will be scrutinzing your foot work:D

Pretty interesting that martial arts systems came out of Tibet. I shock people when I tell them about Lama Pai. Most people's impression with Tibetians is that they just pray all day. Though, Henrch Harriers book - 7 years in Tibet, did mention Fighting monks painted in black guarding temples. I did read of crane systems coming from a separate origin are there different believes about the origin? Or Is Lama separate from crane?

cjurakpt
11-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Seven Star Stepping is based on the arrangement of the seven stars of Ursa Major / Big Dipper, which features heavily in Taoist cosmology via the relationship to the North Polar Star; so yes, it is diagonal in nature, but at a more advanced level it is a bit more complex, at least from my experience with it which actually comes from taiji, not the lama (but hey, it's all TCMA, right?); in the particular style of taiji I practice, it is called Bear Walk (in other styles this sequence is called Cloud Hands, which is basically a misnomer due to linguistic drift), and it is done 3 times in the form, starting out fairly linearly, and becoming more complex by the last time, including diagonal stepping combined with turns/spins in various directions

Steeeve
11-28-2007, 08:38 PM
In fact ...a lot of style used the term 7 stars step....northern praying mantis,some used the diagonal step like in Hsing I and so on ....like a lot of style have a form call sup ji kuen

I dont think the name 7 star step came from a unique style ....

But Each style have their own theory and applications of the 7 stars .....Here we talk about the Chaat sing of Lama Pai

So said the 7 stars stepping came from taiji not lama pai is no good.....

About the bear walk.... Baji used that also but probably the name is the same but the walk is different .....:)

The song remain the same LED ZEP

Steeve