PDA

View Full Version : Please Recommend a Head Guard

MASTERforge
11-21-2007, 05:18 AM
Hi,

I am buying a new Head Guard as the focus of my sparring has changed. I now spar with Ju Jitsu and Taiji methods. This uses punches, kicks, locks, holds etc.

I want to train so I can punch to the Jaw and nose but want protection so I don't get damaged. At 26 my body already doesn't heal as easily as it used to.

My training also includes Qin Na (Chin Na) so ideally there would be some sort of eye protection in case of accidental gouging because I will be using fingerless gloves like MMA.

I think the best head guards I have found are:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pro-Martial-Arts-Boxing-Head-Guard-Bar-HeadGuard-Halmet_W0QQitemZ190174909219QQihZ009QQcategoryZ362 82QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But I don't know if they can withstand semi-contact jabs to the nose. Also there is quite a large opening where an accidental finger could get through to the eyes.

If any one has any recommendations I would be really grateful for your help.

CFT
11-21-2007, 06:09 AM
I think you would probably be OK. If you are still worried you might want to wear some swimming goggles to provide extra protection.

bodhitree
11-21-2007, 09:08 AM
All you need is right here! (http://martialartsmart.net/Sparring_Gear.html)

Iron_Eagle_76
11-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Baah, who needs headgear. Brain cells are overated!

Oso
11-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Hi,

I am buying a new Head Guard as the focus of my sparring has changed. I now spar with Ju Jitsu and Taiji methods. This uses punches, kicks, locks, holds etc.

I want to train so I can punch to the Jaw and nose but want protection so I don't get damaged. At 26 my body already doesn't heal as easily as it used to.

My training also includes Qin Na (Chin Na) so ideally there would be some sort of eye protection in case of accidental gouging because I will be using fingerless gloves like MMA.

I think the best head guards I have found are:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pro-Martial-Arts-Boxing-Head-Guard-Bar-HeadGuard-Halmet_W0QQitemZ190174909219QQihZ009QQcategoryZ362 82QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But I don't know if they can withstand semi-contact jabs to the nose. Also there is quite a large opening where an accidental finger could get through to the eyes.

um, if you're really practicing the dreaded eye poke then just wear some safety eyewear.

otherwise, the full face style of boxing headgear, which Gene's peeps don't carry, is probably the best for protecting the brain.

David Jamieson
11-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Foam sparring gear is not recommended for full blast training with any level of safety.

Maybe MAM (http://martialartsmart.com) should sell more high end gear in that respect, im sure with the gradual drift towards more actively beating on each other, there will be a need for more sturdy stuff. :p

Having said that, check out any outlet that sells to pro boxers or wrestlers.

google is your friend.

I like Boes equipment personally.

1bad65
11-21-2007, 06:37 PM
Ringside carries Martial Arts equipment. Shinguards, gloves, etc. They may have a headguard that fits your needs.

MasterKiller
11-22-2007, 05:30 AM
Ringside carries Martial Arts equipment. Shinguards, gloves, etc. They may have a headguard that fits your needs.

Yes, get a Boxing headgear without a shield.

I use Combat Sports, but I actually train in a Century headgear (http://www.centurymartialarts.com/?Tabid=53&itemguid=f7e5d913-35ca-47dd-a1c3-6f066c9afea3), though.

but ringside has better boxing equipment.

Shaolin Wookie
11-22-2007, 06:49 AM
I think you would probably be OK. If you are still worried you might want to wear some swimming goggles to provide extra protection.

Please tell me this is a joke...........I can't tell anymore, what with all the inanity I hear on this website......

Shaolin Wookie
11-22-2007, 06:53 AM
LOL.......at first it was just the image of someone stepping up to spar wearing goggles....then it was the image of someone hitting those goggles, then creating suction on impact, and then suctioning out the eyeball they were meant to protect......LOL.......

Oso
11-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Yes, get a Boxing headgear without a shield.

I use Combat Sports, but I actually train in a Century headgear (http://www.centurymartialarts.com/?Tabid=53&itemguid=f7e5d913-35ca-47dd-a1c3-6f066c9afea3), though.

but ringside has better boxing equipment.

we've got one of those in our box o headgear.

a couple of everlast's and a couple of these:

Macho XP (http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=53&categoryid=70437471-c50b-44f2-aaf5-483851413a85&subcategoryid=8a158be3-6ab8-4936-abba-ca5672706930&itemguid=6236c3c4-4829-4aa6-91a6-a99c60b1d604)

basic foam gear isn't so hot as DJ says but the Macho XP fits like a motorcycle helmet and does a good job of dispersing impact because of the plastic cups at chin and ears. You can get a face shield that straps on and is ok but slips some if you don't check it regularly

we also use the lei tai style w/ face cage as well as the newer style w/ clear plastic face

NJM
11-22-2007, 10:37 AM
LOL.......at first it was just the image of someone stepping up to spar wearing goggles....then it was the image of someone hitting those goggles, then creating suction on impact, and then suctioning out the eyeball they were meant to protect......LOL.......

Haha, gouged by proxy.

CFT
11-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Please tell me this is a joke...........I can't tell anymore, what with all the inanity I hear on this website......He is pretty well protected with the head guard but worried about the off-chance of fingers to the eyes. The head guard should do most of the work.

MASTERforge
11-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Thanks for all the recommendations.

I went for the full face with strapped cage. The same one I was looking at on ebay. I will give it a go and see where it gets me :)

Thanks for all the input.

Shaolin Wookie
11-23-2007, 06:58 AM
He is pretty well protected with the head guard but worried about the off-chance of fingers to the eyes. The head guard should do most of the work.

Not to be a complete d1ck, but isn't there a point when you just say I'll take my bruises, welts, and broken fingers and call it the "name of the game"? Hell, I did that the first day I joined an MA school. Broken a finger, gotten bruised.....it's nothing that'll kill you. I mean I worked freight on a dock with a broken finger I got from getting my finger caught in a shirt during a throw/takedown (it doesn't really hurt that much, and I didn't know it was broken) for 2 months before I went to a doctor........and it healed pretty much alright (well, it's still lumpy at the joint and my girlfriend thinks its freakish, but it straightened out....LOL....)

You can't fight or anything without some risk. As long as you're not kicking at knees or breaking arms, it's no biggie.

So what's the point of a helmet? Boxing headgear....okay, I can see that, I suppose, if you're going really hard. I've taken a lot of shot to the nose (but none of them broke it). I can understand a helmet if it involves weapons contact to the head. But isn't head contact kind of a "trial by fire" type of thing. If you don't have to proactively protect your head and you lose the peripherals, your technique won't develop acutely. Know what I mean?

I'm just asking questions for the sake of questions. I'm 26, too, but if you keep yourself fit, your body heals just fine. I had back issues early this year, so I strengthened my back and did more stretching. Problem solved.

Shaolin Wookie
11-23-2007, 07:02 AM

This is the reason I thought this was a troll post. Semi-contact jabs to the nose? Semi-contact? As opposed to quasi-contact, or perhaps pseudo-contact? Either you hit it or you don't. Your nose can take a punch (as long as it hasn't been broken numerous times) as long as it's not a barreling shoulder punch that lands square on or comes from the side like a hook.

I think it'll be just fine with semi-contact. No helmet needed. Helmets are for hockey goalies.

Shaolin Wookie
11-23-2007, 07:14 AM
Here's the best head guard you can get, and it's free:

Head movement & Keep your hands up.

If you want to pay me, you can PM me with your bank account for the money order, Western Union, of course. Oh, I live in Nigeria, so you'll know it's me.;)

Seriously, just keep your hands up, but don't keep 'em tucked in close. The main problem most people have is they keep their hands in too close when they get tense and tired, and they get hit a lot (you won't see it coming at that distance). You have to intercept/deflect/evade the punch far before it gets 1/2 a foot in front of you, or you're going to get hit. Just practice bobbing and weaving, and get your head movement to loosen up and your shoulders to loosen up, then your torso. (Capoeira was great for the bobbing/weaving).....You'll find that you can evade more punches by slap blocking and moving than by blocking like most kung-fu/karate/whatever else blocks. (Although, slap blocks/moving are ingrained in all my CMA stuff, though some people don't see 'em for whatever reason).....:rolleyes:

Try tying a strap to a 10# weight for starters. Then bite down on the strip, and lift your chin up and down like you're nodding "yes" to a question. It'll develop your neck strength and strengthen your "chin".

The main thing is "preventative maintenance". Maybe I'm old school (but I'm too young to be old school), but a helmet will only teach you that it doesn't hurt as much when you get hit if you're wearing a helmet. It's better to do the hard work and build up as much of a resistance as possible. Harden your body, harden your muscles, learn to move.

MasterKiller
11-23-2007, 07:15 AM
Maybe I'm old school (but I'm too young to be old school), but a helmet will only teach you that it doesn't hurt as much when you get hit if you're wearing a helmet. It's better to do the hard work and build up as much of a resistance as possible. Harden your body, harden your muscles, learn to move.
Spoken like a man that's never sparred full contact before...

Headgear is essential if you are hitting hard. You don't want the cage because it limits your vision, and if you can't see you are pretty just much just in there swinging blind.

Shaolin Wookie
11-23-2007, 07:16 AM
WTF are you talking about? Have you ever sparred in real gear (not foam dipped) before?

No, never.........I'm a LARP'er.

MasterKiller
11-23-2007, 07:20 AM
No, never.........I'm a LARP'er.

Well, that being said, you are either just being a d1ck or have no idea what you are talking about.

Shaolin Wookie
11-23-2007, 07:22 AM
I know the difference between boxing full-contact and wearing a Hockey Helmet with standard MMA gloves (which, yes, do not compact 1/3 as well as foam dipped gear).

Shaolin Wookie
11-23-2007, 07:24 AM
Tell me why he ought to wear a face-masked helmet. Educate me. If he's afraid of "accidental eye-gouging" (I don't see how that would happen...sure, you can get poked in the eye, but gouged?).....or contact to the jaw, well, fighting should not be on the menu.

Clearly this was ****ty advice:

Here's the best head guard you can get, and it's free:

Head movement & Keep your hands up.

If you want to pay me, you can PM me with your bank account for the money order, Western Union, of course. Oh, I live in Nigeria, so you'll know it's me.;)

Seriously, just keep your hands up, but don't keep 'em tucked in close. The main problem most people have is they keep their hands in too close when they get tense and tired, and they get hit a lot (you won't see it coming at that distance). You have to intercept/deflect/evade the punch far before it gets 1/2 a foot in front of you, or you're going to get hit. Just practice bobbing and weaving, and get your head movement to loosen up and your shoulders to loosen up, then your torso. (Capoeira was great for the bobbing/weaving).....You'll find that you can evade more punches by slap blocking and moving than by blocking like most kung-fu/karate/whatever else blocks. (Although, slap blocks/moving are ingrained in all my CMA stuff, though some people don't see 'em for whatever reason).....:rolleyes:

Try tying a strap to a 10# weight for starters. Then bite down on the strip, and lift your chin up and down like you're nodding "yes" to a question. It'll develop your neck strength and strengthen your "chin".

The main thing is "preventative maintenance". Maybe I'm old school (but I'm too young to be old school), but a helmet will only teach you that it doesn't hurt as much when you get hit if you're wearing a helmet. It's better to do the hard work and build up as much of a resistance as possible. Harden your body, harden your muscles, learn to move.

MasterKiller
11-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Tell me why he ought to wear a face-masked helmet. Educate me.

I just told you why he SHOULDN'T. Because it limits vision. A lot of people won't even wear boxing headgear with cheek pads because they don't like the way it limits vision.

You are basically calling him a pu$$y, which to me indicates you have never sparred hard enough to understand the value of headgear in the first place.

Semi-Contact to the nose is just that...pulling power so you don't break your training partners. ANYTIME you are doing hard shots to the head IN TRAINING, you should be wearing 16-oz gloves and headgear. Training is not fighting. It's about working techniques. If your nose gets busted everytime you step up, you are never going to have the confidence to do anything except cover up.

Getting sh1t broken in training isn't tough, it's stupid. If you are broken, you cannot train. And if you can't train, your partners have no one to work with. It's a lose-lose all the way around.

Of course, everyone thinks they spar hard. But we all know that isn't necessarily the case.

Shaolin Wookie
11-23-2007, 07:46 AM
I just told you why he SHOULDN'T. Because it limits vision. A lot of people won't even wear boxing headgear with cheek pads because they don't like the way it limits vision.

You are basically calling him a pu$$y, which to me indicates you have never sparred hard enough to understand the value of headgear in the first place.

Semi-Contact to the nose is just that...pulling power so you don't break your training partners. ANYTIME you are doing hard shots to the head IN TRAINING, you should be wearing 16-oz gloves and headgear. Training is not fighting. It's about working techniques. If your nose gets busted everytime you step up, you are never going to have the confidence to do anything except cover up.

Getting sh1t broken in training isn't tough, it's stupid. If you are broken, you cannot train. And if you can't train, your partners have no one to work with. It's a lose-lose all the way around.

Of course, everyone thinks they spar hard. But we all know that isn't necessarily the case.

Of course. By your definition, I only do semi-contact. But it's more important to get hit, and feel it, than to wear a helmet in semi-contact and not feel it and feel protected. The more important thing is to work the head movement and dodging/pivoting speed so you don't get hit. Absorbing punch after punch to a headguarded head only turns you into a human punching bag.

Ain't callin' anybody a pu$$y. I just don't see why he wants to go that route for a sparring contact level that's not going to lead to broken jaws and noses like it's WWIII.

Iron_Eagle_76
11-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Recently at the boxing gym where I cross train there are some guys getting ready for a fight on Nov. 30. I have been sparring hard twice a week with these guys helping them get ready. This is the headgear I use: http://www.ringside.com/detail.aspx?ID=25827

and the gloves:

http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=25232

If you are doing hard sparring, this gear or similiar is what you should be using. If your not, your either stupid or not sparring at full contact capacity, period. Even with that gear I still have lumps, bruises, and a sore f***ing jaw, but guess what, that's training. I would venture to say anyone saying not to use proper head gear and training gloves has never sparred a full contact round in their lives.

Shaolin Wookie
11-23-2007, 07:51 AM
If you are doing hard sparring, this gear or similiar is what you should be using. If your not, your either stupid or not sparring at full contact capacity, period. Even with that gear I still have lumps, bruises, and a sore f***ing jaw, but guess what, that's training. I would venture to say anyone saying not to use proper head gear and training gloves has never sparred a full contact round in their lives.

LOL....we're not talking full-contact, mr. tough guy. BTW, now I'm afraid of you *rollseyes*....LOL.....

I agree, full-contact, wear a helmet. Semi-contact focusing on a learning curve, leave the headgear for someone who's doing full-contact (which I don't do much of anyways, as I don't pretend to be a professional fighter). Boxed this NHB fighter's 1 1/2 year beginning student (I'm at about 2 1/4 years of SD) wearing MMA gloves at semi-contact levels. Did fine. Took shots. Dealt out many more. Not much damage on either side. I had a sore cheek and a sore jaw, but nothing visible. He didn't see any reason to wear headgear for that, neither did I--I'd done as much at SD with softer gloves, though (although at semi-contact, it's not that big of a deal [and sometimes we go bareknuckle at SD ....LOL......-- and dude would know, I figure, as he fought professionally.

Iron_Eagle_76
11-23-2007, 07:58 AM
LOL....we're not talking full-contact, mr. tough guy. BTW, now I'm afraid of you....LOL.....

I agree, full-contact, wear a helmet. Semi-contact focusing on a learning curve, leave the headgear for someone who's doing full-contact (which I don't do much of anyways).

That's because you spend more time pretending to be an overgrown ewok and less time training.:D

MasterKiller
11-23-2007, 08:03 AM
Of course. By your definition, I only do semi-contact. I thought there was no such thing...?

The more important thing is to work the head movement and dodging/pivoting speed so you don't get hit. I would argue it's more important to learn to shield so you can counter. But to each his own.

Shaolin Wookie
11-23-2007, 08:06 AM
That's because you spend more time pretending to be an overgrown ewok and less time training.:D

LOL, when you work two jobs 7 days a week to feed and clothe yourself, and go to grad school b/c you want to get your doctorate, and you're a published writer, and a painter.....LOL.....you don't have to pretend to be anything, beeyatch.;)

Yup, I'm an Ewok. But the Ewoks beat the ****ing storm troopers with sticks and stones, and commandeered an Imperial AT-ST, taking down the shield generators on Endor so the REbel Alliance could attack the renovated Death Star. Oh, and they weren't wearing helmets, unlike those pu$$ified Storm Trooper b1tches.

*SLAP*

Did you feel that one through your headgear. No? Okay, here's another one.

*SLAP*

Shaolin Wookie
11-23-2007, 08:09 AM
I thought there was no such thing...?

I would argue it's more important to learn to shield so you can counter. But to each his own.

Either you make contact, or you don't. There's no way to guarantee the level of contact. Any punch intended to be "semi-contact" can be "full-contact" if someone moves badly, or doesn't defend themselves. Plus, it's my experience that all semi-contact bouts turn into full-contact in about 30 seconds. As soon as someone catches a hard shot...it's on. Everything speeds up, and it's full-contact. I prefer to keep it on the semi-contact level, as I'm still relatively new to the game. But semi-contact is full-contact, it's just the pace and contact taken at hte beginning.

My philosophy towards fighting is my capoeira teacher's philosophy. I'm going to kick and punch fast and hard, it's your job to move fast, or block hard. If you don't, you did something wrong.

MasterKiller
11-23-2007, 08:10 AM
LOL, when you work two jobs 7 days a week to feed and clothe yourself, and go to grad school b/c you want to get your doctorate, and you're a published writer, and a painter.....LOL.....you don't have to pretend to be anything, beeyatch.;) What have you published?

Yup, I'm an Ewok. But the Ewoks beat the ****ing storm troopers with sticks and stones, and commandeered an Imperial AT-ST, taking down the shield generators on Endor so the REbel Alliance could attack the renovated Death Star. Oh, and they weren't wearing helmets, unlike those pu$$ified Storm Trooper b1tches.

*SLAP*

Everyone knows StormTrooper armor is designed to deflect energy weapons (lasers) and doesn't work against concussion weapons (like rocks). So in effect, the ewoks won by KO'ing the Imperial troops, which just proves my point.

Shaolin Wookie
11-23-2007, 08:13 AM
I thought there was no such thing...?

I would argue it's more important to learn to shield so you can counter. But to each his own.

Watch a truly good fighter, watch his feet. He moves before he shields and counters. Lessens the shock absorption, sets up an angle. You just have to see the punch coming before it's half-way to you. To me, standing still and shielding, unless you catch the leg, etc. is not much better than taking a shot. sometimes it's necessary, but it shouldn't be the ideal.

Shaolin Wookie
11-23-2007, 08:17 AM
What have you published?

An online manuscript on why you shouldn't wear headgear on a semi-contact level. I also published a treatise on the glorious presidency of Sadaam Hussein, who oppressed millions and slaughtered many with his bare hands, and never once wore more headgear than a military cap.

Everyone knows StormTrooper armor is designed to deflect energy weapons (lasers) and doesn't work against concussion weapons (like rocks). So in effect, the ewoks won by KO'ing the Imperial troops, which just proves my point.

I disagree. Darth Vader's black-lacquered storm trooper gear (TM) did nothing against the Emperor's lightning. Their armor is for contact only. Notice how easily the Jedi light sabers cut through storm trooper gear. I think you've got it waaaay backwards, dude.

MasterKiller
11-23-2007, 08:19 AM
An online manuscript on why you shouldn't wear headgear on a semi-contact level. I also published a treatise on the glorious presidency of Sadaam Hussein, who oppressed millions and slaughtered many with his bare hands, and never once wore more headgear than a military cap. Or, you could just answer the question...

MasterKiller
11-23-2007, 08:23 AM
Notice how easily the Jedi light sabers cut through storm trooper gear. I think you've got it waaaay backwards, dude. Lightsabers cut everything except other lightsabers (and Cortosis). The armor also cannot take a direct hit from an energy weapon. It only serves to deflect non-direct energy attacks.

Shaolin Wookie
11-23-2007, 08:24 AM
Or, you could just answer the question...

LOL....let's just say a book I wrote in late high school/early undergrad years, under a penname, that after 4 years I'm a bit embarrassed of, b/c it reflects some opinions I don't hold anymore, and I'm a much better writer, now that I'm no longer a "rookie" and have refined the craft.

We'll leave it at that, b/c you wouldn't read it anyways....LOL.......it's still available at all online booksellers. If you find it, congrats. But you wouldn't, I'm sure. And I'd be glad if nobody ever did, even though I do enjoy those quarterly royalty checks....LOL.....

MasterKiller
11-23-2007, 08:26 AM
LOL....let's just say a book I wrote in late high school/early undergrad years, under a penname, that after 4 years I'm a bit embarrassed of, b/c it reflects some opinions I don't hold anymore, and I'm a much better writer, now that I'm no longer a "rookie" and have refined the craft.

We'll leave it at that, b/c you wouldn't read it anyways....LOL.......it's still available at all online booksellers. If you find it, congrats. But you wouldn't, I'm sure. And I'd be glad if nobody ever did, even though I do enjoy those quarterly royalty checks....LOL.....

Yeah...whatever.:rolleyes:

Shaolin Wookie
11-23-2007, 08:28 AM
Lightsabers cut everything except other lightsabers (and Cortosis). The armor also cannot take a direct hit from an energy weapon. It only serves to deflect non-direct energy attacks.

Light is light is light. It only varies in wavelength. A laser is concentrated energy in which a beam acts as if it were a continuous particle. Light moves at the speed of light. If you're moving a light saber with the motion of the arm, as I'm sure you know, you can't add up velocities. Light moves at a constant speed, so all contact is direct contact, whether shot or directed via light saber.

Shaolin Wookie
11-23-2007, 08:28 AM
Yeah...whatever.:rolleyes:

Exactly.:cool:

MasterKiller
11-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Light is light is light. It only varies in wavelength. A laser is concentrated energy in which a beam acts as if it were a continuous particle. Light moves at the speed of light. If you're moving a light saber with the motion of the arm, as I'm sure you know, you can't add up velocities. Light moves at a constant speed, so all contact is direct contact, whether shot or directed via light saber.

A light saber blade is a beam of positively-charged plasma that arcs circumferentially back to a negative charge. It's not a laser.

MasterKiller
11-23-2007, 08:38 AM
We'll leave it at that, b/c you wouldn't read it anyways....LOL.......it's still available at all online booksellers. If you find it, congrats. But you wouldn't, I'm sure. And I'd be glad if nobody ever did, even though I do enjoy those quarterly royalty checks....LOL..... So what was the first printing (how many copies)? Which press? If you are still selling copies after 4 years, that must have been a big first print, unless it went into a second or third edition, of course.

Did you have an agent? Selling a first book is tough. If you did it without an agent, at your age, you're probably a literary rock star! I'm sure I would have heard of your "pen name."

sanjuro_ronin
11-23-2007, 08:43 AM
From Headgear to sparring to stormtropper armour to light sabers.

Yep, sounds about right.
:D

Shaolin Wookie
11-23-2007, 08:45 AM
I call shenanigans on that. The plasma would be far too unstable to hold that close to bare skin without killing its wielder. If they had mastered plasma-bombs, they wouldn't have built up those stockpiles of gigantic metal walkers, or the death star. They'd just create a plama bomb or a black hole and suck the offending galaxy into it, or pound/burn it into oblivion.

Unless, of course, the Imperial Fleet is the strongarm of a decadent military power that's overreaching its budget and reach, has problem conscripting troops b/c it has had numerous stateside problems left unresolved b/c of fruitless military endeavors, and is forced to resort to crappy technology built in the intergalactic equivalents of Indonesia and Taiwan. Could be so. I mean, who'd build a moon when you could just put some plasmic rocket boosters on its surface and drive it from its orbit to wherever you needed? I'll bet the Emperor is from some rich family in Intergalactic equivalents of TExas.

Shaolin Wookie
11-23-2007, 08:46 AM
So what was the first printing (how many copies)? Which press? If you are still selling copies after 4 years, that must have been a big first print, unless it went into a second or third edition, of course.

Did you have an agent? Selling a first book is tough. If you did it without an agent, at your age, you're probably a literary rock star! I'm sure I would have heard of your "pen name."

Nope. Happens all the time. University presses and all.;) Not a big publisher...LOL.....and not a work of fiction. Small reader base. Still a scrutinizing process. It was available in store with limited supply, always available online. They'll print it if you want it. (I guess you could say it's now on the same supply level as a vanity publication [they only print when they're ordered....LOL). You're getting warmer.......wait, nope, you're still quite cold.

MasterKiller
11-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Nope. Happens all the time. University presses and all.;) Not a big publisher...LOL.....and not a work of fiction. Small reader base. You're getting warmer.......wait, nope, you're still quite cold.

Big publisher doesn't matter. A high school kid publishing books (you are 21, 4 years ago you were 17 or 18, right?) would be big news in the publishing world. Since it usually takes 12 to 18 months to go to press (especially at smaller presses), you must have been 15 or 16 when you finished it! And that isn't even taking into account the time it takes to solicit queries!

And non-fiction to boot! Your research skills must have been sensational!

I'm intrigued! Just tell me the name of the press.

Shaolin Wookie
11-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Big publisher doesn't matter. A high school kid publishing books (you are 21, 4 years ago you were 17 or 18, right?) would be big news in the publishing world. Since it usually takes 12 to 18 months to go to press (especially at smaller presses), you must have been 15 or 16 when you finished it! And that isn't even taking into account the time it takes to solicit queries!

And non-fiction to boot! You're research skills must have been sensational!

I'm intrigued! Just tell me the name of the press.

I'm 26, published at 22....LOL--that's nothing big, especially considering the fact it was second-rate....got 2 on the shelf I'm working on. I was recommended to the Univ. press by a creative writing teacher who helped run it, so it was guaranteed for publishing. It included some works I'd done in high school and retailored (sartor resartus), but wasn't published while I was in high school. Tell you what, when I get these next ones published, I'll let you know. I'm rather proud of these ones.;) The first one is like the first girl you banged. She probably wasn't that hot, because you just wanted to get laid. So you don't go telling everyone all about her, only that you did her. And it was awesome.

MasterKiller
11-23-2007, 08:58 AM
I'm 26, published at 22....LOL--that's nothing big, especially considering the fact it was second-rate....got 2 on the shelf I'm working on. I was recommended to the Univ. press by a creative writing teacher who helped run it, so it was guaranteed for publishing. Tell you what, when I get these next ones published, I'll let you know. I'm rather proud of these ones.;) The first one is like the first girl you banged. She probably wasn't that hot, because you just wanted to get laid. So you don't go telling everyone all about her, only that you did her. And it was awesome.

Which University press?

If it was 2nd rate, how are you still getting royalty checks?

Shaolin Wookie
11-23-2007, 09:04 AM
Which University press?

If it was 2nd rate, how are you still getting royalty checks?

Anyone who orders it online (they have a limited print-on-demand function like a vanity publisher [those guys--vanity publishers, I mean-- will publish anything you submit, you often have to pay to have them do so, but they'll only print when one gets ordered]. Mine wasn't vanity, but that print-on-demand function vanity uses is kind of like how my book is now that it's out of stores) or orders its webformat application--I get royalties. It's a small percentage, I forget how much, b/c I don't get many royalty checks anymore....LOL.....

MasterKiller
11-23-2007, 09:07 AM
Anyone who orders it online (they have a limited print-on-demand function like a vanity publisher [those guys--vanity publishers, I mean-- will publish anything you submit, you often have to pay to have them do so, but they'll only print when one gets ordered]. Mine wasn't vanity, but that print-on-demand function vanity uses is kind of like how my book is now that it's out of stores) or orders its webformat application--I get royalties. It's a small percentage, I forget how much, b/c I don't get many royalty checks anymore....LOL.....

But you just said you enjoy getting those royalty checks every quarter. Don't be so modest.

So which press was that, again?

Shaolin Wookie
11-23-2007, 09:10 AM
But you just said you enjoy getting those royalty checks every quarter. Don't be so modest.

So which press was that, again?

I'm not modest. I'm mortified by that book. It's dead to me. And so's this issue. If I tell you who published it, it's easy to find, and easy to order. So here's where I plead the fif'....case closed. Subject to retrial if you wish. But I'll plead insanity, and I'll lock up the courtroom in a hung verdict by presenting contradictory information.l....LOL.....

MasterKiller
11-23-2007, 09:11 AM
I'm not modest. I'm mortified by that book. It's dead to me. And so's this issue. If I tell you who published it, it's easy to find, and easy to order.

Or maybe you are just full of $hit...

Shaolin Wookie
11-23-2007, 09:12 AM
Or maybe you are just full of $hit...

C'est la vie. All Cretins are liars....LOL.....

MASTERforge
11-25-2007, 03:21 AM
My post went a bit off topic :)

I thought about having the front face bars because I wanted to practice light contact to the front of the face. I wanted to practice sparring and include Qin Na techniques so i would be using MMA gloves. So the fingers would be exposed I was also thinking of stray eye pokes might accidentally get through.

It might be worth pointing out that my main sparring partner is 19 stone and I am under 11 stone. He is new to sparring so is not controlled all of the time. I occasionally get an accidental hard shot which feels like a train has hit me. So i wouldn't want one on the end of the nose.

Its all well saying duck, bob and weave and it might be worth training neck muscles. But with no matter how much training punches will land.

Saying just toughen up without head gear isn't practical for me. I don't want to make a career out of it and I want to keep injuries to a minimum. So in later life I hopefully wont get arthritis.

At 26 injuries are taking a lot longer to heal and some are permanent. I have quite a collection of permanent injuries already.

I am not afraid to spar and I am also used to roughing it up and going full contact. I just want to be able to take the pads off and go to work on a Monday not broken and busted.

I think some people like to post comments when they have no idea about what they are talking about. It doesn't help, and people can get really bad advice. Its a good job there are people here to expose the lack of knowledge and judgement.:)

That being said, thanks for all the advice within the topic.

Shaolin Wookie
11-25-2007, 06:15 AM
Are you male or female? (Sorry, not being an @ss, it's just never clear on this board)--as that might change things a little.

Light contact will not break your nose. It's good to get hit by someone bigger than you, simply for the fact you need to be able to learn how to take those kinds of shots. If your partner is trying to actually hurt you, that's another matter. But going hard contact is fine. I never wear headgear, and I've never had anything more than bumps or soreness. Then again, I move my head and shoulders plenty.

The reason I brought up the bobbing and weaving is they save your ass from combinations. What happens is that you'll get hurt if you catch that first one to the face that stuns you (you'll get hurt because of what follows, not that first one--that is). If you don't move quickly, you'll catch three more before you see 'em coming. You've got to move your head and keep the chin tucked.

My teacher was a LB with the ATL Falcons, LOL. But if he were to spar me for demo, I can guarantee he wouldn't go full blast (thank the fates), because he recognizes that kind of power difference. Maybe you should just tell your sparring partner--"hey man, you're twice as big as me, so you can't go full contact." There's nothing lame about that. I have no pretensions to professional fighting either. But a facemasked helmet is probably the wrong way to go. Just get the other dude to tone it down some. You're clearly not talking FULL CONTACT MMA, right?

MasterKiller
11-25-2007, 08:25 AM
The reason I brought up the bobbing and weaving is they save your ass from combinations. What happens is that you'll get hurt if you catch that first one to the face that stuns you (you'll get hurt because of what follows, not that first one--that is). If you don't move quickly, you'll catch three more before you see 'em coming. You've got to move your head and keep the chin tucked.

Unless you are Anderson Silva, bobbing and weaving outside of a boxing match is a good way to get your head cracked. Boxing defense doesn't translate to full-contact (which is basically what kung fu training is supposed to be).

Yum Cha
11-26-2007, 01:29 AM
Masterforge,
Here's my 2 bits concerning headgear.

A face mask on headgear moves the effective target closer to the opponent. Its like having a big face, if you catch my drift. Thus, a punch that would have only touched, now touches a good 3 or more inches, i.e. more power gets put into your head, and your targetting/movement gets changed to accommodate. That's what bugs me the most about face masked headgear. You may find it easy to tag someone wearing facemask, wearing gloves, but a lot harder to tag someone barehanded without any headgear. The inch or two of glove, and another 2 or 3 of facemask makes a difference.

Face mask does however disperse the energy to the entire headgear, instead of your nose, lips, ears, etc.

Also, you have to use gloves if you use a facemask, or your opponent will cut up their hands on the face guard. (more at the end of this post on that.)

A regular boxing headgear, like the ones recommended by several guys, with the 'cheeks' on them, likewise protect the nose by in essence building up the area around it, so when you get hit in the nose, the padding supports it a bit. They change the range a lot less as well, making it more realistic.
I agree, they do mess up your vision, especially if your opponent tries to slide it around on you as you spar...:D I would never do something like that myself.... Its not like boxers just invented them yesterday, they are a bit of a proven technology for gloved sparring.

There's also nothing to cut up bare hands, but practically speaking, you probably still want to use gloves.

As you refer to eye attacks and grappling, I'm thinking that perhaps you aren't wearing gloves, or you are wearing MMA or San Da Gloves? See the problem? Facemasks are for protection from gloved hands, yet gloved hands don't eye gouge without a lot of effort...

Another thing headgear is good for is exercises - armoured coach against un-armoured trainee. Coach wears vest, helmet, gloves, shinguards, forearm guards, in whatever combination, and plays a free flowing variable drill against a student, who has to deliver some power into a defense/attack. Coach can whack the student with a gloved hand whenever necessary, yet the student gets to practice open hand techniques as required. Coach is expected to be a bit better able to protect his head, but when they do get through, it's no big thing.

May not be your cup of tea, but its good for training traditional techniques into effectiveness without it becoming just another kickboxing exercise.

I know lots of people who don't spar 'full on' all the time, sometimes you out-skill your opponent, sometimes you're working a particular skill, sometimes, you're just playing with friends and you're not into it - millions of reasons. Anybody who says otherwise must be from a Galaxy Far Far Away...

David Jamieson
11-26-2007, 04:23 PM
You're a writer who uses "these ones"? :p lol, you do realize that is grammatically incorrect don't you? :)