PDA

View Full Version : standing vs. seated

twktcc
01-16-2001, 06:14 PM
Hello all !
I am curious as to the "general" reasons for doing one over the other.(seated/ standing qigong). Is one more "heathful","powerful","enlightening",or "?".
Regards,
Dave

Remember to be self- centered but not selfish

Chris McKinley
01-18-2001, 09:35 PM
I won't get into questions of superiority, but the purpose of standing in Zhan Zhuang, a staple of neijia arts qigong, is to promote the free and full circulation of qi, while also teaching relaxed optimum biomechanical posture. :)

prana
02-14-2001, 04:49 AM
No confirmation if that the following is true.

Standing meditation promotes the Qi flow through opening meridian paths. Standing (or other postural meditations) concentrate Qi into areas via the posture orientation. It is also more relevant to the art of Kung Fu for the use of concentrating Qi for fighting, healing and supercompensation.

Sitting meditation (especially in Lotus) is a less forceful (unless the forcible pushing of Qi into the central channel, you better have a teacher for this !) way, and its primarily for the use of medicinal and spiritual. It concentrates the Qi flow entirely via the Chakras and into the central channel which relates directly to attaining perfect Samadhi.

But like two paths that meet at one point, they are both roadways to enlightenment ultimately.

Have fun

[This message was edited by prana on 02-14-01 at 07:02 PM.]

HuangKaiVun
02-16-2001, 06:04 AM
twktcc, do BOTH and then tell US.

twktcc
02-18-2001, 02:50 AM
I do standing now as part of my training with my current taiji shrfu. I was curious as to the general differences between the two. Is one more martial,health oriented, internal power cultivator, etc.
As to me doing both... id love to do everything... but time alas is scarce.
regards,
Dave

"If you show yourself, you will not be seen.
If you affirm yourself, you will not shine.
If you boast, you will have no merit.
If you promote yourself, you will have no success."

Qiman
02-18-2001, 06:49 AM
Standing or active Chi-Gung set seem to create more chi and overall internal power. My energy level is increased and I can feel the chi movement in my body.

Seated meditation is more spiritual in nature. I think on a deeper level and seem to be more intuitive afterwards. The effects are subtle but clearly there.

Of course these are generalizations. Some types of seated Chi-gung I can get a very good feel of chi movement. Also with standing I can sometimes get a very deep emotional effect. Each session is a little different.

If I could only do one I would do the standing post. I like to alternate.

twktcc
02-18-2001, 05:31 PM
thankyou ! your info is appreciated greatly !
regards,
dave

Braden
02-19-2001, 01:26 PM
From the Taoist perspective, standing meditation is important because the work done by the legs creates heat which acts as the fire beneath the cauldron of the dantien.

It's important to keep in mind your goals when you are doing these exercises. You won't develop the ground path with seated meditation, although it can help with relaxation.