PDA

View Full Version : always fight half the man

deejaye72
11-24-2007, 04:06 PM
i know this has been touched on before on this forum and most of you gave the twc guys hell about it but,i have a friend, a fantastic martial artist well schooled in boxing,bjj and mma, as well as tae kwon do as a kid.while training one time with him he told me because i,m smaller them him and basically a little guy anyway "always fight half the man". this is many years ago and since then i have tried it with great success and applied to my ever growing knowledge of wing chun.does it work all the time? no! but when you time it just right,it works great.tell me everyone whats your thoughts.and no b.s.i want an intelligent discussion (if possible lol!)

Mr Punch
11-24-2007, 04:26 PM
I have to disagree.

While it can work it depends on the range how your strategies are for closing/dictating that range. The old classic of low-high or high-low combinations is the best overall tactic I think AND one that can assist with your dictation of range too. If you're over-reliant on your hands like many chunners, HL/LH is all upper body anyway but when you factor in kicks and shots and the like, it's a whole body variation of levels and angles.

deejaye72
11-24-2007, 04:52 PM
like i said it doesnt work all the time but,i've had good success with it.in my experience it worked better with bigger guys who thought they could just rush in and squish me cause, im smaller.when i tried it with someone with really good footwork didnt work as good.thank you for your observations thats,the kind of input im looking for in this discussion