PDA

View Full Version : shaolin 5 animals

shaolin_allan
11-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Hi I am going back to southern 5 animals soon and i'm trying to decide on which animal to focus on. Which would you choose and why?

hskwarrior
11-27-2007, 12:01 PM
i love the fu jow for every thing you can think of when it comes to its usage, essence and effectiveness.

sanjuro_ronin
11-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Is The Beaver one of the animals?
Cause if it is....
:D

hskwarrior
11-27-2007, 12:20 PM
it is if you want it to be..........;)
i had beaver for breakfast.......tastes like chicken;)

sanjuro_ronin
11-27-2007, 12:21 PM
it is if you want it to be..........;)
i had beaver for breakfast.......tastes like chicken;)

I heard that the rare, yet much sought after, Bald Beaver is a thing of beauty to behold.

hskwarrior
11-27-2007, 12:27 PM
:D it is brother :D it is........

as MICK once said in the rocky films......"its a ting of biutee!!!!!"

hskwarrior
11-27-2007, 12:28 PM
it might be an actual cousin to the bald eagle to!!!!!!

banditshaw
11-27-2007, 12:31 PM
I heard that the rare, yet much sought after, Bald Beaver is a thing of beauty to behold.

ah yes the elusive brazilian forest beaver. Once found it is a gem to behold.

sanjuro_ronin
11-27-2007, 12:32 PM
ah yes the elusive brazilian forest beaver. Once found it is a gem to behold.

Here, here !!

hskwarrior
11-27-2007, 12:34 PM
i second that notion, and am very proud to own a half mexican/guatamalan bald forest beaver.........

they are very very fun to play with...........

but you have to watch out for the "Spitting Beaver"...........ya don't want their mess all over ya.....i'll tell ya!!!

sanjuro_ronin
11-27-2007, 12:37 PM
i second that notion, and am very proud to own a half mexican/guatamalan bald forest beaver.........

they are very very fun to play with...........

but you have to watch out for the "Spitting Beaver"...........ya don't want their mess all over ya.....i'll tell ya!!!

Now, the red haired Beaver, that is welcome in my "animal farm" anytime, it can play with my Anaconda :D

hskwarrior
11-27-2007, 12:39 PM
yeah those are the only types of beavers that are known to swallow whole anaconda's..........

you have to beware of those.

sanjuro_ronin
11-27-2007, 12:41 PM
yeah those are the only types of beavers that are known to swallow whole anaconda's..........

you have to beware of those.

We must be one with the Beaver or yes, it will swallow us whole, but by being one with the Beaver we find the truth to the universe.

hskwarrior
11-27-2007, 12:44 PM
yeah, sometimes you get there quicker than others......

but the trip is always fun

sanjuro_ronin
11-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Oh my god, I found a pic of a trapped Beaver, who would do such a thing ?!?!?

hskwarrior
11-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Hey, camels are fun to ride too.

i just love resting between a camels two humps like the pic shows.

sanjuro_ronin
11-27-2007, 12:57 PM
You know how hard it is to fine a pic of a wild beaver and NOT have the SPCA all over you ??

hskwarrior
11-27-2007, 01:03 PM
Well, it's the weak of be kind to beavers........

so please everyone who has a beaver in their household......

grab your beaver, hug it, love it, rub it, make it purr.........i didn't know beavers purr, until i made one. WOW.

shaolin_allan
11-27-2007, 03:42 PM
leopard fist seems like possibly the least covered of the animals. Is it possibly not a good system?

SouthernTiger
11-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Well, it's the weak of be kind to beavers........

so please everyone who has a beaver in their household......

grab your beaver, hug it, love it, rub it, make it purr.........i didn't know beavers purr, until i made one. WOW.

What the hell is wrong with all of you? One person mentions beaver and everyone in the thread starts cooning like middle school boys that just discovered a dirty mag.

Seriously, everyone that has posted in this thread is getting beaver-slapped....i mean beeyach slapped. I expect everyone to pm me their addresses in the next 7 minutes...

And I will be using a tiger claw too. :D

-Blake

sanjuro_ronin
11-28-2007, 10:42 AM
leopard fist seems like possibly the least covered of the animals. Is it possibly not a good system?

The Leopard fist is included in almost every system I have seen, even in the Japanese ones (Hiraken).

shaolin_allan
11-28-2007, 12:05 PM
yes you're right sanjuro. there is even a clf set called golden leopard. what i meant was that in 5 animals, all other 4 animals have complete systems and it seems like leopard may be only a few forms, I was just wondering if anyone knew why this is?

RFM
11-28-2007, 02:50 PM
If I recall my five animal studies correctly (I am long out of practice) each animal offers something unique physically. To emphasize one over another shouldn't be so much out of choice, but more from what your personal character expresses. I always liked dragon and crane movements for their fluidity (when I was younger) - I especially liked leopard for its speed.

But if I were to start training some serious Fu now, with all my physical limitations, I'd probably be focused more on snake and tiger.

Peace,
Bob

hskwarrior
11-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Southern Tiger,

Make Sure You Leave A Return Address, In Case Of "return To Sender" Happens.

I'd Like To Send You A Specially Wrapped Fu Jow My Darn Self. :d

AND YOU HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE 5 CLAWED BEAVERS........

tattooedmonk
11-28-2007, 04:59 PM
yes you're right sanjuro. there is even a clf set called golden leopard. what i meant was that in 5 animals, all other 4 animals have complete systems and it seems like leopard may be only a few forms, I was just wondering if anyone knew why this is?Actually SD claims to have the entire golden leopard system. I have only seen pieces of it though. I do not know as to whether it is the same as the CLF variety.

CLFNole
11-28-2007, 05:02 PM
The CLF form on YouTube labeled "Golden Leapord" is actually a bit incorrect. The form is Ping Jahng Kuen (level elbow form) however some lineages call it Gum Pow Ping Janhg Kuen or Golden Leapord Level Elbow form; however it is not an animal set persay but it does have the trademark CLF panther fist, but then just about every other CLF set has the panther fist.

tattooedmonk
11-28-2007, 05:18 PM
The CLF form on YouTube labeled "Golden Leapord" is actually a bit incorrect. The form is Ping Jahng Kuen (level elbow form) however some lineages call it Gum Pow Ping Janhg Kuen or Golden Leapord Level Elbow form; however it is not an animal set persay but it does have the trademark CLF panther fist, but then just about every other CLF set has the panther fist.I am learning this set right now from a friend and he said the same thing about it being a leopard form . I know that CLF , at least in GMDFW's CLF, there is a Goldern Leopard form and a Tiger vs. Golden Leopard form a part from this one.( level elbow)

CLFNole
11-28-2007, 05:23 PM
There is a Panther vs. Tiger form in CLF, not sure if the "golden" is used in all lineages. Typically it would be Pow Ying Chak Fu Ying (Panther vs. Tiger). I have never heard of a gum pow ying kuen set only pow ying kuen as it is one of the 10 animal sets in CLF. If you look at DFW list of forms "gum pow" or "golden panther" is only used in the 2-man set.

There is a YouTube clip out there that say Golden Leopard/Panther, which is the Level Elbow set. Reason I know is they are from my lineage.

shaolin_allan
11-28-2007, 06:44 PM
this is all very interesting. what i want to know is, panther is supposedly the northern version of leopard yet it seems like its a big part of clf which is southern. why is panther used then?

CLFNole
11-28-2007, 07:03 PM
No the chinese "pow" just translates to either panther/leopard. Some people say panther fist some say leopard fist. It is the same thing.

shaolin_allan
11-28-2007, 07:18 PM
thanks for that info nole. I think im either gonna focus on snake or tiger at first, either of those seem the best of the 5 animals for combat.

hskwarrior
11-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Actually When You Think About It.......

Panther Is Probably A Great Thing To Focus On. Its Fast, Fluid, Effective, And Can Be Done In Many Different Ways.

Tiger Claw, If You Don't Don't Mind The Possibility Of Being Prosecuted For Maiming Someone Then Cool. Snake Is Great For Its Speed Too, Coiling, And Such........

But Its Always Up To The Person Training......

One Thing I Will Try To Pass On........is Always Be A Student.....even If You Are A Master.......remain A Student For Life.

CLFNole
11-28-2007, 07:24 PM
In CLF snake would be considered more of an internal/soft animal whereas obviously tiger would be more external/hard. So they would be completely different in terms of power and technique.

Frank, we are all always students and can never stop learning (and you know I don't mean sets).

shaolin_allan
11-28-2007, 07:28 PM
yep i agree they are extreme differences. I was thinking this because fu jow pai has already been proven effective for combat but you do have to be very careful how you use it. Snake could possibly allow much more restraint in self defense, it also uses trapping and sticking hands I believe, which may be where wing chun got it from. I think I need to decide which animal fits me physically best and my personal fighting style over just which I would choose because it seems the coolest.

SouthernTiger
11-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Hello all!

Nice one hskwarrior! LOL :D Sounds like a FOX special: "When 5-clawed Beavers Attack part 13"

Also, to anyone who cares: a panther is actually just a black jaguar. It is not a seperate species.

-Blake

hskwarrior
11-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Maybe You Shouldn't Be Looking For A Specific Animal Style......but Find One That Has The Essence You Are Looking For.

See, I Too Love The Fu Jow.....in Every Way.

Its Not Just About The Technique But The Spirit And Essence Behind It.

IronWeasel
11-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Is The Beaver one of the animals?
Cause if it is....

Your posts are half the reason that I read this forum! :D

shaolin_allan
11-28-2007, 07:39 PM
thats true hsk it is more important to be able to feel the essence and love the art you are doing. not because you like the animal style but because it fits you in many ways. unless you have that your training is hollow im sure. What do you guys think of dragon? its not a personal fav of the 5 animals but it seems very good and well rounded. Also I do see a few dragon style schools which are holding up throughout the u.s.

CLFNole
11-28-2007, 08:06 PM
Dragon style itself is quite different than how it is seen in 5-animals forms of say CLF, hung gar or hung fut. Dragon style is a short hand style along similar (not the same) lines as bak mei, yau gung mun, hakka tong long, etc... very different concepts and power generation.

shaolin_allan
11-28-2007, 08:08 PM
that sounds very cool, i wonder how it is represented in the 5 animals system and how power is generated for dragon?

sanjuro_ronin
11-29-2007, 05:37 AM
Your posts are half the reason that I read this forum! :D

Always nice to hear from my fans :D

Back on topic, all the "kitty" styles - Tiger, Panther, Jaguar, Cat, Mexican Bald taco, are all very cool, though I must admit I have yet to see their "trademark" moves in a practical situation.

Besides the Mexican Bald Taco, I know that one very well !

shaolin_allan
11-29-2007, 06:37 PM
yeah those styles do look really cool. i enjoy the footwork of the leopard/panther forms. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KihDirIqXg&feature=related

shaolin_allan
11-29-2007, 06:44 PM
dragon's use of power is very different. It seems to have the least in common with the other 5 animal styles, I can see why there are dragon kung-fu schools.

RFM
11-30-2007, 11:15 AM
If I remember correctly, dragon generates its power from the legs, having a good strong base. My experience with dragon techniques involves lots of grabbing, pushing and throwing. Kicks were very much in line with northern shaolin styles (big and fancy) not short and low like most southern kicks.

I enjoy dragon movements. They remind me a lot of Tai Chi movements in the sense of fluidity, grace, and power.

Peace,
Bob

shaolin_allan
11-30-2007, 06:30 PM
i was reading some info on that also. the power of dragon comes from the hips swinging similiar to southern mantis and bak mei. where as in the power of tiger comes from the back and arms. very cool stuff!

shaolin_allan
12-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Ive been doing some checking and see that some clf and a style called hung fut have a tiger-leopard fist form in them. I was wondering if there is a style that is completely made up of tiger-leopard techniques?

CLFNole
12-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Answer: No.

hskwarrior
12-02-2007, 09:04 PM
i don't believe so either.

if there is, its probably a family method.

it would be interesting to see a complete panther/leopard system.

but i think a form or two would suffice.

CLFNole
12-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Yeah you don't need a "style" for every animal. Forms suffice enough.

hskwarrior
12-02-2007, 09:11 PM
i mean, if you are skilled enough to further develop a certain aspect of gung fu, then go for it. nothing wrong with that.

RFM
12-03-2007, 07:31 AM
I agree, if you are skilled to a certain degree, you don't need to learn a whole system to gain the benefit of a single form. However, forms generally are not just thrown into any mish-mash order, the order in which forms are taught sometimes build on each other. Therefore, I suggest that if you are able, check out some of the other forms and how they are taught to get a good idea of where you need to be before engaging a particular outside form.

Not essential - but the more knowledge you have on the background, the better. If your background experience is well developed, you should have no problems.

Just a thought,
Bob

GeneChing
01-03-2019, 08:33 AM
READ Southern Style Adaptations of the 5 Shaolin Animals Motif By Williy Pang in our WINTER 2019 issue (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=1446). Available digitally too via Zinio (https://www.zinio.com/publisher/kung-fu-tai-chi-m5078).

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/admin/site_images/KungfuMagazine//images/mcover/201901winter.jpg

LaterthanNever
01-15-2019, 11:08 PM
Just curious..besides Hung Ga and Choy Li Fut..what other 5 animal styles are there?

I read somewhere once that Jow Ga is 5 animal but then someone responded that technically..it's not but rather more Leopard and Tiger

Same with Bak Mei being 5a, but then someone else countered that it's more of a tiger based art with Feng (phoenix eye fist added)

Wing Chun as far as I can tell is more incfluenced by Snake and Crane. Never have seen a Fu, Pao or Lung hand formation in any of the WC lineages.

Anyone?

GeneChing
01-16-2019, 08:50 AM
The article mentioned above compares Hung Ga, Choy Li fut & Pak Mei takes on 5 Animals. :cool: