PDA

View Full Version : Fight Quest

GeneChing
11-20-2007, 12:49 PM
Naaa, let's just tack it on to the Human Weapon thread for now.

Follow the Fight Quest link on http://www.northsouth.tv/

Nebuchadnezzar
11-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Naaa, let's just tack it on to the Human Weapon thread for now.

Follow the Fight Quest link on http://www.northsouth.tv/

Not fair. It should get it's own thread so that is doesn't get swallowed up in the Human Lack of Weapon comments. :cool:

GeneChing
11-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Ok, I guess it does deserve it's own thread. I hear ya, Nebuchadnezzar, this thread is now independent of the Human Weapon thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47232).

Discovery Channel to Film Martial Arts Program in CV (http://www.ebpublishing.com/*ws4d-db-query-Show.ws4d?*ws4d-db-query-Show***FCK-BC-060061065068062064-1355***-Database***-***sltimes(directory)***.ws4d?sltimes/column(R).html)
By : Robert Souza : 11/27/07

A crew from the Discovery Channel’s new hit show “Fight Quest” will be on location in Castro Valley at the end of the month, filming Professor Greg Harper and Kajukenbo Master, Mark Gerry for an episode focusing on Gerry’s signature style of fighting.

“It’s unbelievable to have them coming here to shoot,” said Gerry, a Castro Valley resident. “This show has been all over world and this is really a dream come true for a martial artist.”

“They contacted my instructor, who referred them to me. This show and the MMA (mixed martial arts) featured in the show are incredibly popular now,” Gerry said.

In Fight Quest, two American martial arts students, Jimmy Smith and Doug Anderson, travel the globe to investigate the many different schools of martial arts, and immerse themselves in the culture and history of each art, and ultimately test their skills and courage against fighters trained in the arts.

“For the Fight Quest to come to Castro Valley after being filmed in 10 countries including China, Japan, Okinawa, and the Philippines is amazing!” Gerry exclaimed.

Every year, Gerry makes a pilgrimage to the Shaolin Temples in China to train and learn. He has been studying, and practicing Kajukenbo for more than 30 years.

For the episode, Gerry will act as a trainer for Smith and Anderson, as they are put to the test to how many principles of Kajukenbo they have learned. “This whole thing has been about six weeks in the making,” added Gerry. “I really can’t tell you how exciting this is!”

We cross paths with Mark Gerry all the time. His daughter Nicole is a practitioner and teen beauty queen - she's done some modeling for us.

sanjuro_ronin
11-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Looks better than the Human weapon thing...

shaolin_allan
11-28-2007, 07:16 PM
this story sounds exactly like human weapon. human weapon is a joke, they barely cover the arts(understanding that they have limited time). at the end the guy's challenge a local fighter and always get made to look really stupid, especially when the tall bald guy is picked to fight. that karate episode he fought so bad it hurt me to watch.

ittokaos
11-30-2007, 10:48 PM
It looks a lot better than human weapon. I hope they do a better Kung Fu ep.

BlueTravesty
12-01-2007, 08:51 PM
the first few seconds of the Fight Quest trailer already look better than the whole of human weapon so far. I'm glad I held off on getting cable (almost did, as soon as I heard about HW) Don't get me wrong, HW is alright for what it is (about two kinda dopey american martial artists learning tiny bits and pieces about fighting arts around the world) but it's not the killer "Hell yeah!" martial arts show we've all been waiting for. Fight Quest looks much closer to that.

ittokaos
12-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Is this the show that Dr. Craig Reid was talking about in his recent article or is this one an entirely different one? Is he still going to try to get his out there?

GeneChing
12-05-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm not sure that Craig is pursuing this project anymore. This seems more like fallout from Human Weapon to me.

The Discovery Channel Films Martial Arts Competition in Castro Valley Bar (http://www.ebpublishing.com/*ws4d-db-query-Show.ws4d?*ws4d-db-query-Show***KII-CEH-295296301296304301-1448***-Database***-***sltimes(directory)***.ws4d?sltimes/column(R).html)
By : Robert Souza : 12/4/07

By three in the afternoon on Saturday, there wasn’t much going on outside Spanky’s bar on the sleepy cul-de-sac of Baker Road. But for the handful of martial artists already practicing moves and techniques in the back room, you could sense the excitement.

A TV crew from the Discovery Channel was on its way to Castro Valley to film a martial arts demonstration in the bar.

“A few of my bouncers at the bar train with Mark (Gerry),” said Spanky’s owner, Shane Corcoran. “It’s really incredible to have a major nationwide television crew coming to Castro Valley for this.”

The program being filmed, “Fight Quest” sends two American martial arts students, Jimmy Smith and Doug Anderson, around the globe to explore the divergent schools of martial arts, steep themselves in the history and philosophy behind each, and ultimately test their own skills against fighters fully trained in the arts.

“This whole experience has been incredible,” said Doug Anderson, who practices under the training eyes Castro Valley Kajukenbo Master, Mark Gerry and Master Greg Harper. “It’s like getting brutalized by a worldwide meatgrinder.”

The program, which has already been filmed in 10 countries from the Philippines to China, will now add Castro Valley to its pretigious map.

By 4 p.m. the camera crew arrives, and so do many of the other fighters and trainers who will be participating in the production. They are some of the most intimidating and confident- looking trainers and fighters to set foot on local sidewalks. “This is so exciting and incredible,” says a tired-eyed Mark Gerry, who spent about a week training and filming with the crew. A Kajukenbo Sifu Master, Gerry has been a student the art for more than 30 years.

After the TV crew decides on which angles to shoot, the cameras are set put in place, but the producer decides it would be best for a few people to play pool near the demonstrations between Doug Anderson and the Kajukenbo masters.

“Lets play pool,” Gerry urges me with a grin.

We bash the pool balls around for roughly 30 minutes after I amazingly break open the game, somehow sinking the que ball. Next to us, Doug Anderson is being schooled on how to disarm an attacker with a knife—a lightning fast maneuver that leaves the attacker facing the blade he was wielding just seconds before.

“Kajukenbo is really a bodyguard or bouncer style of martial art,” Anderson tells the camera. “All I can say is you don’t want to fight these guys who use this style, and this is certainly one bar I would not want to start a fight in.”

sanjuro_ronin
12-05-2007, 02:17 PM
That;s too bad, I hope that is not the case...

Interesting view on Kajukenbo.

Hung gar
12-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Well i guess this means martial arts is coming back around in the swing of popularity. The Chuck Norris may also doing a show like this

SIFU MARK GERRY
12-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Hi Gene

I want to thank Tiger Claw for all the gear and suport for the Fight Quest show.

THE KAJUKENBO SHOW WILL AIRE ON FEB 29 2008.

HERE ARE AIR TIMES FOR UPCOMING SHOWS.:)

Dec 28, 10:00 pm

(60 minutes)

Special Forces Fight Style, Korea
TV-PG (LV)

Hapkido is Korea's gift to the world of martial arts and in this episode Jimmy and Doug learn the ins and outs of this deadly defensive art.

Dec 29, 2:00 am

(60 minutes)

Special Forces Fight Style, Korea
TV-PG (LV)

Hapkido is Korea's gift to the world of martial arts and in this episode Jimmy and Doug learn the ins and outs of this deadly defensive art.

Jan 04, 10:00 pm

(60 minutes)

Wushu, China

Our fighters head to China's legendary Songshan mountains to learn the mother of all martial arts: Kung Fu.

Jan 05, 2:00 am

(60 minutes)

Wushu, China

Our fighters head to China's legendary Songshan mountains to learn the mother of all martial arts: Kung Fu.

Jan 11, 10:00 pm

(60 minutes)
Muy Thai, Thailand

Jimmy and Doug dive into the dangerous world of Muay Thai kickboxing.

Jan 12, 2:00 am

(60 minutes)

Muy Thai, Thailand

Jimmy and Doug dive into the dangerous world of Muay Thai kickboxing.

doug maverick
12-06-2007, 12:23 AM
just hope your kung fu ep and host are better thennhuman weapon. if not get ready for this board to rip it to peices and leave it covered in feces.

SIFU MARK GERRY
12-06-2007, 12:54 AM
we only worked on the kajukenbo show and have not seen any of the others.......the guys are great fighters.......we will see ........i know we put a lot of hard work in to the show.......

sanjuro_ronin
12-06-2007, 05:30 AM
we only worked on the kajukenbo show and have not seen any of the others.......the guys are great fighters.......we will see ........i know we put a lot of hard work in to the show.......

Did you see any kajukenbo in full contact action?

And will these shows air on what channels ? to Canada perhaps ?

SIFU MARK GERRY
12-06-2007, 09:32 AM
I dont want to give away the show...........but we beat the crap out of each other and you will see guys get knock out cold

sanjuro_ronin
12-06-2007, 09:35 AM
I dont want to give away the show...........but we beat the crap out of each other and you will see guys get knock out cold

NICE !!

What channel will it be broadcast on? plans for DVD ?

TaichiMantis
12-06-2007, 09:47 AM
NICE !!

What channel will it be broadcast on? plans for DVD ?

Uh...my guess would be the Discovery Channel :rolleyes:

sanjuro_ronin
12-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Uh...my guess would be the Discovery Channel :rolleyes:

Thats confirmed ?

SIFU MARK GERRY
12-06-2007, 12:54 PM
This is Just to show how a day of shooting went for the Kajupit crew.......We filmed for 5 days,each day it was changed.

GM HARPER WAS IN EVERY PART OF THE SHOOTING

SATURDAY DEC 1 2007

6:00 AM WAKE UP CALL

8:00 Set up shoot schedule for day.

Meeting with GMGH and crew.

9:00 Kajupit crew heads for

Tribull Mixed Martial Arts Centers.

1043 Garland Ave. San Jose CA 95126

(Location manger Sifu Christian Smith)

10:00 CARDIO-GMGH

11:30 SELF-DEFENSE

(Sigung Jeff Macalolooy)

(GM TED SOTELO)

12:00 BULL IN THE RING

Sigung Jeff Macalolooy ,

Sifu Christian Smith,

Sifu Dean Webster

1:30 Doug’s end of day fight

Sigung Jeff Macalolooy ,

Sifu Christian Smith,

Sifu Dean Webster

2:30 LUNCH

3:00 GMGH, students, Doug and Crew head to CASTRO VALLEY

4:00 ARRIVE IN CASTRO VALLEY

· BIKER BAR TRAINING

SPANKY’S 20812 BAKER RD, CASTRO VALLEY-408-317-1975

(shoot manger Mark Gerry)(Nick Gerry lights)

(Jeff Macalolooy to set up roll up with bikers (10 bikes)

Kajupit crew helps GMGH with demo.

(GM TED SOTELO-VIP GUEST)

6:00 OBSTACLE COURSE- TRUCK YARD 2625 CASTRO VALLEY BLVD 510-889-8103(shoot manger Mark Gerry) SET UP 15 ATTACKERS( OUTSIDE AT NIGHT)
(kajupit, professor John Bishop, Gerry's MMA ,Doug Jones and crew,

6:00 Stop at MMA store across the street from FIGHT NIGHT pick up cool gear for fighters

6:30 Fighters arrive at FIGHT NIGHT location VALLEY TRUCK CENTER
2625 CASTRO VALLEY BLVD 510-889-8103 (shoot manger Mark Gerry)
(both camera crews)( 25 Kajukenbo black belts for ring) 25 back ground extras .

· Crew, Greg and Mark Gerry discuss set up and flow

REFEREE - Mark Gerry

BIG FIGHT- Sifu Dean Webster

· DEMO TEAMS

· SIGUNG GERRY- 6 FIGHTERS

· SIFU DOUG JONES- 4 FIGHTERS

· PROFESSOR DENNIS GUIAL- 2 FIGHTERS

· MARC STONER- DOCTOR

· TIM HALL- SECURITY-

7:00 FIGHT NIGHT begins

9:00 Doug OTFs after demo – how it’s affected his way of thinking about final fight, concerns, doubts, etc

Doug and Greg’s End of Day Interviews

10:00 KAJUKENBO PARTY WITH ROASTED PIG
(Sigung Mark Gerrys house)

( CREW SHOOTS DOUG CUTTING UP PIG)

2:00 AM BED TIME

GeneChing
12-06-2007, 02:34 PM
I forgot Tiger Claw donated some gear. I'm not directly involved with a lot that goes on with Tiger Claw. It's our parent company; we're a separate department. Did Tiger Claw get a credit for the show? We got stiffed by Mythbusters earlier this year (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=758579&postcount=11). Anyway, many congrats on the show, Mark. I can't wait to see it.

SIFU MARK GERRY
12-06-2007, 03:02 PM
They will if it makes it in the show............. 50 hours of film for a 43 min show......and they covered most of the names on shirts , gear , hats , gloves and just about anything with a name on it...........:confused:

BUT........A BIG " THANK YOU " FROM GERRY'S MMA AND THE KAJUPIT CREW !

GeneChing
12-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Brand lables are a big issue for TV. Product placement has made any product that appears on TV (or in movies too) a matter of advertising revenue. Accordingly, a lot of advertisers don't approve of giving out 'freebies'. It's understandable. We donated all this gear to Mythbusters too, hoping they'd use it. They did, but they digitally blurred our Tiger Claw logo on most of the images. It managed to slip through on the preview at least, and we were happy about that.

Glad the shoot went well for you. Be sure to let Thomas know - was he the one behind the donation?

SIFU MARK GERRY
12-06-2007, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=

Glad the shoot went well for you. Be sure to let Thomas know - was he the one behind the donation?[/QUOTE]

YES..................AND I WILL CALL HIM AND THANK HIM........YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN SO GOOD TO ME AND NICOLE:)

冠木侍
12-07-2007, 01:35 PM
I am anticipating the Kung Fu and Kajukenbo episodes. Should be good. I had read about this...I think in Black Belt Magazine.

BTW, I liked Human Weapon. Some people wanted a hardcore martial arts show but it was educational and action filled to be interesting any martial arts fan.

sanjuro_ronin
12-07-2007, 01:42 PM
FYI:

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=1.15267.25384.35206.2

冠木侍
12-07-2007, 01:51 PM
FYI:

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=1.15267.25384.35206.2

Much appreciated. Thanks

GeneChing
12-21-2007, 04:34 PM
...it starts next week

Episode guide (http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/fightquest/episode/episode.html)

WUSHU; SANDA
Masters: Shi DeYang/Shi De Cheng
Features: Hands, Feet, smashing things
Premiere: Dec. 28, 2007

KALI
Masters: Cristino Vasquez/Leo T. Gaje Jr.
Features: Knives, sticks
Premiere: Jan. 4, 2008

KYOKUSHIN KARATE
Masters: Shihan Yuzo Goda/Shihan Isamu Fukuda
Features: Hands, feet, smashing things
Premiere: Jan. 11, 2008

BOXING
Masters: Ignacio "Nacho" Beristain/Tiburcio Garcia
Features: Hands
Premiere: Jan. 18, 2008

PENCAK SILAT
Masters: Rita Suwanda/Dadang Gunawan
Features: Hands, feet, throws, weapons
Premiere: Jan. 25, 2008

SAVATE
Masters: Christian Robert, Frank May/Frederic Baret
Features: Hands, feet
Premiere: Feb. 1, 2008

HAPKIDO
Masters: Kim Nam Je, Bae Sung Book/Ju Soong Weo
Features: Feet, hands, throws
Premiere: Feb. 8, 2008

BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU
Masters: Breno Sivak, Renato Barreto
Features: Grappling
Premiere: Feb. 15, 2008

KRAV MAGA
Masters: Ran Nakkash, Avivit Oftek Cohen
Features: Everything that hurts
Premiere: Feb. 22, 2008

KAJUKENBO
Masters: Charles Gaylord/Greg Harper
Features: Hands, feet, throws
Premiere: Feb. 28, 2008

Nebuchadnezzar
12-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Please, please, please let this be another "Human Weaponless" :D

SIFU MARK GERRY
12-22-2007, 02:47 AM
Fight Quest's Jimmy Smith Vs. Human Weapon's Jason Chambers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whf2SRN_cRw&eurl=http://www.emperado.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836

冠木侍
12-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Fight Quest's Jimmy Smith Vs. Human Weapon's Jason Chambers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whf2SRN_cRw&eurl=http://www.emperado.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836

Nice fight. The lock looked like it did some internal damage.

jigahus
12-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Looks just like human weapon. We'll see how they present it.

bakxierboxer
12-28-2007, 09:21 PM
"Thumper" (from Disney's "Bambi" (1942)):

"Mrs. Rabbit: Thumper!
Thumper: Yes, mama?
Mrs. Rabbit: What did your father tell you this morning?
Thumper: [clears throat] If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all.)l

jigahus
12-29-2007, 12:09 AM
After seeing the Wushu promo I can say I'm not impressed. They fight Sanda. Ok cool. But then they have them break bricks and do "stick" forms. And it's not a stick it's a staff. They should have spent more time on more effective training methods for Sanda. At least in human weapons they had breakdowns of moves. This just looks like a survey of Shaolin Wushu in a week and then they fight. The only thing I liked was during the last part where the 2 hosts did vagabond tricks breaking bricks. And even then it wasn't that impressive since anyone can break a brick and I've seen it before.

WYSPRGR2005
12-29-2007, 12:46 AM
After seeing the Wushu promo I can say I'm not impressed. They fight Sanda. Ok cool. But then they have them break bricks and do "stick" forms. And it's not a stick it's a staff. They should have spent more time on more effective training methods for Sanda. At least in human weapons they had breakdowns of moves. This just looks like a survey of Shaolin Wushu in a week and then they fight. The only thing I liked was during the last part where the 2 hosts did vagabond tricks breaking bricks. And even then it wasn't that impressive since anyone can break a brick and I've seen it before.

Being stuck in Italy until New Year's, I couldn't watch it b/c it was a premium channel on the dish where I'm at...but it doesn't look like i missed anything exciting

Mas Judt
12-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Pretty much like Human Weapon, but they did a much better job with selecting what to show. The San Da level was much higher than what we saw on Human Weapon. The list of upcoming stuff is better too.

Yung Apprentice
12-29-2007, 06:56 PM
Boxing in Mexico City, with Nacho Berstein, one of the best boxing coaches of this era? That'll be bloody, lol.

xcakid
12-29-2007, 11:16 PM
Well they did train with Shi De Yang and Shi De Cheng. That was somewhat impressive.

This show shows some promise.

冠木侍
01-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Similar premise to Human Weapon. Although the two hosts this time seem complete opposites. One is polite and patient while the other is a bit rough around the edges with a seemingly bad attitude. Maybe he'll get better in the later episodes.

The episode was well balanced. I'm happy to see they incorporated the Internal principles of Kung Fu and didn't focus overly on the External principles.

The San Da training and matches were entertaining to look at. I think the monks were being too polite though when they announced "ties" for some of the matches. They should have just called it like it was.

The Demos on breaking were really intense. No BS martial arts there.

That episode is coming on again and I plan to review it.

The selection of fighting arts they have lined up for Fight Quest looks a little better than Human Weapon. Kajukenbo, Capoeira...etc. I really can't wait.

Nebuchadnezzar
01-03-2008, 07:36 PM
So far, I'm underwhelmed and it's because baldy is a COMPLETE A$$hole!!! Actually, that's insulting to a$$holes. I apology for putting him on such a high tower.

Hopefully, he'll get his clock cleaned in the Kajukenbo episode.

冠木侍
01-03-2008, 09:09 PM
So far, I'm underwhelmed and it's because baldy is a COMPLETE A$$hole!!! Actually, that's insulting to a$$holes. I apology for putting him on such a high tower.

Hopefully, he'll get his clock cleaned in the Kajukenbo episode.

Hehe...I said it a little different but I guess the same sentiment is present. Not really what I would consider the mentality of a martial artist. His lack of respect at certain points was a bit daunting to myself. Then, during his last fight, he had commented that all his Qi Kung training went out the window and he just wanted to hurt his opponent...I just started shaking my head.

Kajukenbo...can't wait! I'm glad they are giving exposure to this style of fighting.

冠木侍
01-06-2008, 07:59 PM
It has been a couple of days since this episode aired but there has been no response.

One main difference I see in Fight Quest is that, unlike Human Weapon the show is all caught up in itself. No one takes the time to try and educate the viewers on specific techniques, as they did in HW. I was able to test some application using moves from HW but it is not so easy with FQ. The interactiveness comes only when either Anderson or Smith are talking to the camera about whatever they happen to be feeling at the moment.

The instructors are more sociable and their English (those who were able to speak it) was understandable. They made the effort to communicate to us, the viewers, and that says volumes about the kind of people they are.

Another main difference...it is only the second episode but it seems as if both fighters have an opportunity to show how much they have learned in five days. Since both have different attitudes, I think it is interesting to watch each individual and how they use their techniques.

There is definitely a lot of action and the training looks very hardcore, no BS or favoritism just because they are guests. I respect that and believe that the training is more worthwhile for the two competitors.

The training for kali was as rough as it looked. I think that Anderson and Smith were both prepared for their fights.

The ending fight was exciting. Each round showcased a different type of combat and you can tell each fighter put their effort into it (from what I gathered).

Just one person's opinion. :cool:

Dragonzbane76
01-07-2008, 06:31 AM
I agree on the last episode the training was pretty intense. (more bootcamp style for the one dude) No bull crap on that training it was hardcore stuff.

Overall not a bad show, could use some more educational aspects but it's TV were not suppose to be educated. :)

Shaolindynasty
01-08-2008, 11:34 AM
I thought it was funny that the big bald guy was complaining about learning staff. He said "once youve felt someones nose break it's hard being asked to swing a stick around" then in the next episode eskrima he is swinging a stick around and really enjoying it.

His bias towards particular styles doesn't show at all:rolleyes:

Good show though. Anything martial art related on tv is a good sign

冠木侍
01-08-2008, 07:33 PM
I agree on the last episode the training was pretty intense. (more bootcamp style for the one dude) No bull crap on that training it was hardcore stuff.

Overall not a bad show, could use some more educational aspects but it's TV were not suppose to be educated. :)

Yes but it was Discovery Channel and educating is one of it's purposes...well, so I thought.

Jimbo
01-08-2008, 09:32 PM
I did watch the "kung fu" episode, expecting it would be different from HW. Well, it was; the bald guy in FQ is even more obnoxious. It seemed strange to me that he'd admit to getting so mad because his opponent landed a decent kick to his head and some clean punches, he got pi$$ed off and just lost control and rhino-charged him. I thought one of the keys to being a great fighter was not to get P.O.'d during a match. He was also P.O.'d and complaining during most of his training.

True, a lot of the things they had the guys do had nothing to do with Sanda. But it's his job to take on the challenge of doing something different for the show. If all he wants to do is show himself off in his own comfort zone, why does he even do a show about different cultures/martial arts??

I really wanted to like this show, but the bald guy just ruined it for me. I'd rather see a show that focused on the arts themselves, instead of trying to make "reality-TV celebrities" out of two more guys. Nowadays half of the planet is a "celebrity" or reality TV star anyway. Here today, forgotten tomorrow.

冠木侍
01-10-2008, 09:31 PM
I did watch the "kung fu" episode, expecting it would be different from HW. Well, it was; the bald guy in FQ is even more obnoxious. It seemed strange to me that he'd admit to getting so mad because his opponent landed a decent kick to his head and some clean punches, he got pi$$ed off and just lost control and rhino-charged him. I thought one of the keys to being a great fighter was not to get P.O.'d during a match. He was also P.O.'d and complaining during most of his training.

True, a lot of the things they had the guys do had nothing to do with Sanda. But it's his job to take on the challenge of doing something different for the show. If all he wants to do is show himself off in his own comfort zone, why does he even do a show about different cultures/martial arts??

I really wanted to like this show, but the bald guy just ruined it for me. I'd rather see a show that focused on the arts themselves, instead of trying to make "reality-TV celebrities" out of two more guys. Nowadays half of the planet is a "celebrity" or reality TV star anyway. Here today, forgotten tomorrow.

I understand where you are coming from. Jimmy Smith is shown to be obnoxious, impatient...acting angry and losing his temper (basically everything a martial artist tries not to exhibit).

His training partner, Anderson and even Chambers and Duff from Human Weapon had not exhibited behavior that could be comparable (that being a good thing). They make jokes, get frustrated but THEY always seemed to have a good attitude about what they were learning.

Calling the hosts (competitors) "tv-celebrities" may be a misnomer. I think that they are far from it. This show will make their names known to a wider audience but that will probably be the extent. They already seem to have reputations in their respective styles and I doubt they did this show for their own self-publicity. It just seems that they wanted a challenge and to learn some new things.

Fight Quest seems to go a step beyond Human Weapon in that the training is more intensive. It just lacks the educational portions that I liked about HW. I liked both shows because each brought something to the table and helped me to learn more. Plus, the entertainment value was present in both as well.

**I hope Smith's attitude changes in the later episodes.

冠木侍
01-13-2008, 12:22 AM
This time, Anthony and Smith are trying there hand at Kyokushin. Was anyone able to catch this?

I noticed a change in Smith's attitude. He was more patient and amiable than in the first two episodes. It must have been the style of training...seems he takes to hard styles. Simple punching and kicking is what seems to be his cup of tea. That is my observation based on what I have seen so far.

Nice breaking segments. I was surprised that Smith was able to break that bat. It looked as if was not prepared to do so but he came through.

They seem to be putting Anthony and Smith through the gauntlet. No favoritism or niceties here. The training sessions are very serious. Each Black Belt holds nothing back. That's what I like to see!

The test...what better way to test what you've learned then to go head to head with the top fighters. From a spectator's POV, it didn't look as if the hits were doing much damage. The punches to the chest looked like taps...HOWEVER having experience in MA, we know that was not the case. Save for the rule about not hitting in the head or face, it was almost like an organized street fight. Plus, fighting consecutive opponents with little rest in between is no easy endeavor.

Dangerous kicks...probably just as nasty as Muay Thai kicks. Makes me want to go out and kick the heavy bag for a while.

So then, the format of the show seems to be established at this point. I was hoping for some educational pointers but I don't mind watching these two go through rigorous training. The best take aways I guess is that I might be able to incorporate some of the conditioning from this (and the previous) episode(s) for my own training.

Waking up early and just training for the good part of the day. Well, too many modern conveniences and the fact that we need time for our personal lives would impede such a notion.

sanjuro_ronin
01-14-2008, 05:40 AM
Kyokushin body shots suck !
:D
They tend to just "arm" the strikes to the body and only occasionally will you see true power.
I couldn't tell you how many matches I won with my "boxing" body shots...

The shots still hurt, they just dont; do as much damage as they could, but they do set-up the high kicks well, as you can see.

So then, the format of the show seems to be established at this point. I was hoping for some educational pointers but I don't mind watching these two go through rigorous training.

No offense, but that is the best education of a given MA that there is.

冠木侍
01-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Kyokushin body shots suck !
:D
They tend to just "arm" the strikes to the body and only occasionally will you see true power.
I couldn't tell you how many matches I won with my "boxing" body shots...

The shots still hurt, they just dont; do as much damage as they could, but they do set-up the high kicks well, as you can see.

No offense, but that is the best education of a given MA that there is.

If there was no offense intended, then there is none taken.

I was used to the format of Human Weapon and was looking for some take-aways that I could implement. I guess if I were there doing the training, that would be considered the best education for Kyokushin. However, from a viewer's POV, it was just rigorous training and then straight up fighting (which is always entertaining).

True, they didn't go for many "power" shots but they sure didn't lack any power in their punches. Boxer shots (as Anthony utilized them) were more effective to get more strikes in. From what I gather, it seems the tendency for this style is to use stiff straight punches and to absorb the attacks. I didn't see the fighters really try to block the body shots.

Yes, I see what you mean about the set-ups for kicks.

It's good that you have experience. You're insights are appreciated.

sanjuro_ronin
01-15-2008, 05:26 AM
If there was no offense intended, then there is none taken.

I was used to the format of Human Weapon and was looking for some take-aways that I could implement. I guess if I were there doing the training, that would be considered the best education for Kyokushin. However, from a viewer's POV, it was just rigorous training and then straight up fighting (which is always entertaining).

True, they didn't go for many "power" shots but they sure didn't lack any power in their punches. Boxer shots (as Anthony utilized them) were more effective to get more strikes in. From what I gather, it seems the tendency for this style is to use stiff straight punches and to absorb the attacks. I didn't see the fighters really try to block the body shots.

Yes, I see what you mean about the set-ups for kicks.

It's good that you have experience. You're insights are appreciated.

I think the name is quite appropriate, it is a "fight quest", they are simple going around looking to fight and in the end, that is the only true judge of a MA, anythign else is an "add on".

冠木侍
01-15-2008, 09:18 PM
I think the name is quite appropriate, it is a "fight quest", they are simple going around looking to fight and in the end, that is the only true judge of a MA, anythign else is an "add on".

Yes, the name does imply something. They are looking to fight. But in order to do that, they need to learn each respective style (in the time alloted to them). So then, their quest is documented for us to see. It is definitely exciting to watch their journey and the impending Fight that closes out each episode .

It was not my intention to judge any of the martial arts displayed in these episodes. That would be another topic. The presentation and format of the show is what I am commenting on. This would apply to the Quest portion in this case.

Being that it airs on the Discovery Channel implies (IMO) that it will contain (at the very least some) educational content. ie: For the styles that I am unfamiliar with, I would appreciate a bit more explanation of some of the techniques. That's all (of course no sarcasm intended).

I definitely understand where you are coming from and still believe it to be a good show. Very combat oriented, fast-paced, in-your-face no-nonsense training. Not a bad way to end the week. ;)

Just a little food for thought.

冠木侍
01-15-2008, 09:42 PM

Yes, the name does imply something. They are looking to fight. But in order to do that, they need to learn each respective style (in the time alloted to them). So then, their quest is documented for us to see. It is definitely exciting to watch their journey and the impending Fight that closes out each episode .

It was not my intention to judge any of the martial arts displayed in these episodes. That would be another topic. The presentation and format of the show is what I am commenting on. This would apply to the Quest portion in this case.

Being that it airs on the Discovery Channel implies (IMO) that it will contain (at the very least some) educational content. ie: For the styles that I am unfamiliar with, I would appreciate a bit more explanation of some of the techniques. That's all (of course no sarcasm intended).

I definitely understand where you are coming from and still believe it to be a good show. Very combat oriented, fast-paced, in-your-face no-nonsense training.

In any case, not a bad way to end the week. ;)

冠木侍
01-19-2008, 05:10 PM
I did not realize that I posted the same thing three times. If memory serves me correctly, there was a problem with the web page at that time and my browser was taking a long time to load. Yes, I did hit submit more than once. Next time, I should just be a little more patient.

冠木侍
01-19-2008, 05:23 PM
I stayed up late to catch this one (for they do not show any repeats throughout the week).

I've gotten used to the format of the show and Western boxing is relatively well-known. Anderson and Smith got their tails whipped during their training. Those athletes in Mexico were amazing. Simple combinations using Jabs, Crosses and Uppercuts were displayed very well and used very effectively.

The athletes' stances were firm but their movements were fluid and loose....not to mention fast. Gave Anderson and Smith a run for their money in my opinion. These two had experience but still looked choppy in their execution.

The end fight made me raise an eyebrow or two. I'll tell why. During the training, Anderson and Smith faced off against some rough and skillful dudes. They were getting hit from all directions. Their opponents possessed top skills. Now, the fighters that the Mexicans picked to go toe-to-toe with the two hosts didn't seem as driven or full of energy as those who fought with them during the five days of training.

I don't think the Mexicans were holding anything back. The end bouts just seemed a tad bit lackluster....

Yung Apprentice
01-22-2008, 08:20 AM
I thought it was cool that Juan Manuel Marquez was mentioned. He was shown early on in the episode without mention, which made me drop my jaw. One of the top ten pound for pound fighters in the world, and no intro? Eventually they did.But man he is an awesome boxer.

冠木侍
02-01-2008, 10:06 PM
This was the previous episode but I didn't get a chance to write about it.

First off, I noticed that Smith's attitude has turned a 180 degree because he seems a bit more patient this time around. He seems to be mellowing out with each new episode. Maybe it is a coincidence but his trainer for this one was one tough lady.

Interesting fighting art. I can see some applications for sparring that could be used in my own training but then again, making it work is another beast.

The knife techniques are are nice. It might be an avenue that I might look into down the line (that is if I continue to study martial arts).

Anderson's foot looked like an inflated balloon. I respect him for still fighting even though he had an injury. He is still as level headed as he was in the beginning...just a dude from Jersey, eh?

The final bouts really don't seem to disappoint (except for the boxing one IMO). Quick moves, damaging kicks and nice take-downs. All in all a good variety of fighting.

So far this show has not wasted my time ( and that is very significant).

Just one person's opinion. ;)

冠木侍
02-06-2008, 11:16 PM
I could have sworn that there was supposed to be a CAPOEIRA episode that was slated to air in the near future. Now, there seems to be no sign of it anywhere.

So weary am I that it may not have been there in the first place. Althoug I'm sure I saw it posted.

冠木侍
02-16-2008, 08:06 PM
I know I know...this one debuted last week. That fortune telling bit in the beginning was a bit odd. But it was a good gimmick for the viewers...I wonder if he let this affect his mindset...?

A common criticism that I hear about this episode is that some of the moves were exaggerated. I'll go with.

But a lot of the stuff looked good. The kicks were phenomenal...they d**n good kickers...spinning back, double kicks etc. Commentary on the effectiveness would be another topic.

The episode was done very well. I think it was able to show the highlights of Hapkido, given the limited time that was available. The wrist locks, which seem to be a staple of the art, were demonstrated enough times to me cringe a bit.

The live sparring sessions were nice to watch. That pro boxer was freakin' fast. The two masters were again of two different ways of training...sort of like "good cop bad cop." I respect them for allowing the two hosts into their world.

Doug and Jimmy had entered their fights with good mindsets. I applaud them for taking on an art that they were totally not accustomed to. Leaving their comfort zones and branching out can be a positive experience and they have shown us this.

PS...I wish they would have highlighted more scenes of Korea's women. I know, totally off topic. But this is my post. :D

Just one person's though.

HtownShaolinBum
02-17-2008, 12:09 PM
The episode was done very well. I think it was able to show the highlights of Hapkido, given the limited time that was available. The wrist locks, which seem to be a staple of the art, were demonstrated enough times to me cringe a bit.

Back when I was taking TKD, our school also offered Hapkido. I took a few classes. It is very painful.

It was a woman who taught it, and she could probably beat the crap out of most dudes with how fast she is at alot of these submission holds. I was at a Hapkido demo, and one of the guys got his shoulder pulled out of socket and had to go to the hospital. Hapkido is definitely not for everyone.

Shaolin Wookie
02-17-2008, 12:42 PM
I could have sworn that there was supposed to be a CAPOEIRA episode that was slated to air in the near future. Now, there seems to be no sign of it anywhere.

So weary am I that it may not have been there in the first place. Althoug I'm sure I saw it posted.

Why would they do a Capoeira episode? You don't actually fight.....you just artfully miss. And even the Capoeira lucha things I've seen online are a bit of a joke.

Don't get me wrong. I love capoeira and I've been doing it for something like 1.5 years, but it's not exactly a "martial art". It's a great workout, it works balance, speed, and coordination, but it's not "fighting". It's really kind of like dancing, which is why I'd never study it by itself.

There are a lot of great capoeira cats that have reeeealllly bad ideas about what fighting involves.

冠木侍
02-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Why would they do a Capoeira episode? You don't actually fight.....you just artfully miss. And even the Capoeira lucha things I've seen online are a bit of a joke.

Don't get me wrong. I love capoeira and I've been doing it for something like 1.5 years, but it's not exactly a "martial art". It's a great workout, it works balance, speed, and coordination, but it's not "fighting". It's really kind of like dancing, which is why I'd never study it by itself.

There are a lot of great capoeira cats that have reeeealllly bad ideas about what fighting involves.

I appreciate your input. The subject of capoeira's effectiveness is debatable to say the least but that is not my main intention right now. You have experience with this martial art and your opinions about it no doubt stem from your experiences. I've heard people who echo the same sentiments as you. But there are other "capoeiristas" out there who also have a different opinion about that art. I've also been told that those kicks have a mark when they "play" and that it is considered a fighting art. Who's right and who's wrong seems to be a moot point.:p:p:):mad:

Even though I don't have any real experience with it myself, I'd personally like to see it showcased as a martial fan and practicioner. It is described as a dance, martial art, leisure, sport and/or a way of living. It has other aspects that look interesting and would make for good tv.

--As another aside, there are fans of the show who would like to see Doug and Jimmy take on capoeira. Some feel as you do and some feel that five days would not be enough to accurately depict it. Doug and Jimmy would definitely get a good workout.--
I believe is an interesting thing that people who study the same "martial art" have different perspectives about it.

Now for the crux..

**The REASON I brought it up was because I THOUGHT I had seen it in the line-up in the episode guide. I was sure of it and then it suddenly just disappeared. Maybe it was some kind of illusion on my monitor. Thanks for telling us about some of its aspects though. It is nice to hear from someone who actually practices and I respect that you were trying to describe it from an unbiased POV.**

冠木侍
02-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Yeah, I seem to be a week too late.

This episode was one of the ones I was anticipating because as a result of my experience, I can appreciate it. Grappling and submissions...really interesting stuff.

Doug and Jimmy, this week take on the ground fighting art that took the UFC by storm back in the 90's.

Doug got choked a couple of times and it looked as if he was going to die! Of course, the intensity of the training had to be there otherwise the show would be pointless. He couldn't tape cuz his partner had both his hands immobilized. There should have been better supervision throughout.

Both final matches were pretty good. You could tell that they did not want to give Doug or Jimmy any breaks. Great effort by all.

冠木侍
02-29-2008, 10:33 PM
This episode highlights Krav Maga. From what it looks like, it is mostly a mixed martial art. Nothing really distinctive that differentiates it from other arts. Just borrows a lot of effective techniques.

Doug and Jimmy training in a country where military is the way of life. I'm sure that was freakin' insane. Walking through the streets with full gear and a rifle...crowd control and riot training.

Even the sparring sessions were cool to watch. The experts pulled no punches, and one dude kept kicking Doug in the back of the head while he tried to execute a foot lock. Seems he was falling into his prior training and not opening up to the new fighting style. ALSO, his trainer....that woman was CRAZY.

I can still hear her words echo even a week later...."YOU ARE DEAD DOUG!" I wonder though...I would have really like to see what she was capable of, in terms of combat. She is a no BS soldier. I wouldn't mind getting beaten up by her.

Jimmy is way different from his first impression and his attitude is very much improved since the first show. His trainer was a hulk of dude. Putting him up against the riot crowd and walking through a typical daily scenario in full army gear. Then having to fight. Nice stuff.

Just one person's opinion.

GeneChing
03-03-2008, 03:57 PM
He was really easy going - a nice guy, very friendly. Man, what an awesome martial journey he's on. We talked about my master, Shi Decheng, about some of the intense stuff he's experienced and about some of the future projects (they're off to India next month to train in Kalari Payattu)

Best of all, he loves Feiyues (http://www.martialartsmart.net/4535k.html). ;)

sanjuro_ronin
03-04-2008, 05:27 AM
This series is actually one I will get on DVD after it is done, I find it far better than the other one.

冠木侍
03-04-2008, 11:06 PM
He was really easy going - a nice guy, very friendly. Man, what an awesome martial journey he's on. We talked about my master, Shi Decheng, about some of the intense stuff he's experienced and about some of the future projects (they're off to India next month to train in Kalari Payattu)

Best of all, he loves Feiyues (http://www.martialartsmart.net/4535k.html). ;)

Yeah, Gene. I remember Doug making a special mention in the China episode. It's cool that he trained with your Master. Unfortunately, a lot of it ended up on the cutting room floor. His first impression was that he was a nice dude (I'm sure I mentioned it in my China post).

Is there any way you can fill in the gaps.

I know that he posts on the Discovery forums (Jimmy seems to be a more frequent poster though).

PS...I like my Feiyues as well. One secret to a long life of shoes...ROTATION ROTATION ROTATION.

冠木侍
03-17-2008, 11:23 PM
The final episode of the season and what an episode it was!

After going all around the world, they come back home to the states for the homegrown (of course inspired by the martial arts of each respective country) style of KaJuKenBo. Ka(Karate)Ju(Judo/Jujutsu)Ken(Kenpo)Bo(Boxing...Eastern and Western).

Again, I must make mention that Jimmy has definitely improved his attitude and is coming off as a good guy. Doug has always maintained his good nature and open-mindedness since the first episode.

It seems a lot of footage was cut for the episode and all we saw was the rough stuff. Plus, I read (according to those who were part of that episode) that the producers didn't want anything like forms or formal training. They wanted to get right down the the nitty-gritty street applications. Well, it was born in the streets.

A quick history; During the late 1940's early 50's, the Palama settlement in Hawaii was not a safe place to be. A man called Adriano Emperado (now prefixed with Sijo) along with four others ((Peter Young Yil Choo, Frank Ordonez, Joe Holck and Clarence Chang)) formed the Black Belt Society. The idea was to come up with the ideal street defense needed to survive back then.

Back to the show.
As always, Doug and Jimmy were separated.
Doug went with Harper while Jimmy trained with GGM Gaylord. Harper looks like a biker dude but he seemed really chill. No doubting his abilities. Gaylord was very friendly and helpful and seemed to be more of the father type figure.

Some cool stuff...the "Fight Club" type situation that Doug participated in was cool.
I def caught at least a few girls in that circle of people.

It was nice to see the "Bull Ring" being utilized. (From my personal experience, it is fun! A great way to pit yourself against multiple attackers or preparing your mind for a surprise attack.)

Jimmy got some beat downs...first by one of the Bono's when his head hit that pillar and then by a behemoth of a man who sank an elbow near his spine. In the beginning of his training, it was funny to see Jimmy get randomly attacked while Gaylord was showing him basic principles.

Escrima sticks...ouch!!

The end bouts were cool. They didn't show Jimmy's multiple attacker test but the fight at the end was a good match. It was informed to us that he was originally supposed to fight the tall guy (the one who sank his elbow) but that never happened. It would have been a good match up.

Doug's fight was nice. The Bull Ring surrounded him and they just kept coming at him. Of course the fighting looked toned down a bit cuz they could eye gouge or ripe groins. But there was a ball kick that sent him flying.

And then his one-on-one bout...that kick was sweet! His opponent was def a good fighter but didn't have his guard up. Doug saw an opening, let it fly and...instant KO.

It's nice to see that after beating each other up, they still had the respect for each other...which is part of their Ohana culture.

The Krav Maga episode had a bit more intensive training.

冠木侍
09-27-2008, 11:46 PM
I must have been half unconscious. They are already two episodes into the second season. Did anyone catch either of them by any chance?

Lucas
07-14-2009, 09:50 AM
So I did a forum search and found a "wing chun on fight quest" thread. But that show has so much more than just wing chun.

I just started watching the first season on netflix streaming, and I really dig this show.

No drama, just good old fashion blood, sweat, pain, victory, and defeat.

So far my favorite episodes are the Kyokushin and the Kali. Nice and brutal.

From what ive noticed, they split the guys up between two masters of what ever style they are there to train. Usually, one is traditional, and one is more military and or street oriented forms of training. they always end with what ever sport or test that black belts or senior students of said style usually would deal with.

Ive watched about 8 or so episodes, and so far the guys have nothing but respect for the styles they have trained in. The thing i dig most about the show really is the approach these two guys have in their 'fight quest' honorable and respectful.

the savate episode was hillarious, the outfits they have to wear to fight in are sooo funny...unless your french i guess...

Anyone else watch this show?

Lucas
07-15-2009, 12:54 PM
hey thanks for the reference.

SPOILERS:

Last night before heading to bed I watched the Brazil: Jiu Jitsu episode

Those lucky guys got to train at the gracie academy in brazil.

the mma (jimmy) guy was already a purple belt in bjj, so he got thrown into the mix more so than the other guy (doug).

to showcase the technique of jiujitsu they had doug roll with a female champion. she tied him up with ease.

Of course, in Brazil, both guys lost their final fights. Jimmy had a purple belt match, but his right arm was hyperextended pretty bad, because his opponent didnt notice his tap.

Doug did pretty good for having only 5 days of bjj training, going up against a green belt i think.

You could tell how stoked jimmy was, being a bjj purple belt, to be able to not only train at the gracie academy in Brazil, but to also get the good fortune to meet 3 of the gracie family, and to recieve personal pointers from them. I forget what gracies however.

pretty good episode.

so far its been probably my favorite MA tv show. as its not only educational, but its real. they actually fight in what ever format they are training in and try their best to adhere to the rules. some they win some they lose, but its a pretty good, realistic, insight to the mariad martial arts of the world.

i believe its a Discovery Channel show. beats FOX.....lol

uki
07-15-2009, 07:47 PM
another reason i am glad i do not have the television hooked up for buffoon shows such as this.

Lucas
07-16-2009, 09:35 AM
ya i dont have tv but i rent it. i havnt had tv channels in many years. if i did though, id probably like to have the discovery channel. or pbs. i miss pbs....so much educational programming.

i actually had the same outlook on it, until a buddy of mine made me watch an episode. then i realized it was far different from your standard programming. the guys leave their egos at the door, and conduct themselves very respectfully. they go in very open minded and train hard.

but its actually pretty good show. i cant stand the reality tv drama shows, this ones nothing like that.

SPOILER:

Philipines: Kali

the kali episode with the sacraficing of the chicken was awesome. they poured the blood all over doug and had him do the traditional indoctrination to the kali tribe. they told him hes one of very few outsiders ever to recieve the rite.

the kali guys are TRUE warriors. seriously. not ****ting you at all.

They got the sh!t beat out of them in this episode. at the end their final fights were against Philipine Marines. Some hard ass dudes. 3 rounds. 1st round is a knife fight, fiberglass knifes lined in felt and rubbed in red lipstick. 2nd round, stick fight. only a face guard and gloves, fulll contact. 3rd round, empty hand.

doug said the training he recieved reminded him of his military training, except WAY more intense. and its training that the guys he was with, do every day. They actually toned it down for him. LOL

Kali episode is freaking awesome, makes me really want to learn Kali.

--------

its not like some drama induced tv show, its actually an educational show.

anyone truly interested in the cultures that these arts come from can get a nice look inside the culture with the BEST teachers from said styles and regions.

its not a reg tv show. its filmed for DISCOVERY CHANNEL

anywho

-------

SPOILERS

watched the Mexico: Boxing

doug went to 12000 feet to train at an old aztec temple. it looked really really cool. there was one point where the locals were performing some sort of old relgious ceremony, in traditional garb. they had to stop training for a bit to let the people do their thing, as they were doing some training in the same area.

since in the mountains with no modern training aperatus's (sp) they used things like big rocks for weight training and some other good stuff. for a time doug was worried about getting altitude sickness.

there was a point where they were all standing in a circle and the trainer busted out some drink, he said its a drink that was used by the aztecs during their time to help heal you and infuse you with the warrior spirit. he definately got a more old school treatment.

where as jimmy was in Mexico City. he got to live with olympic boxers during his training time, and was able to train with the best boxers mexico city has to offer.

needless to say, both guys got WORKED in training, as they were just so outclassed. but in the end it helped doug alot. as he won his final fight. to the dismay of the mexican spectators, lol. so many boos. pretty funny.

jimmy had a tough time keeping his boxing guard up. as in MMA your guard is lower than the trad boxers guard, his muscle mass was just too much for him to adjust to in such a short amount of time.

they both did well, but doug won mainly because he was able to get a standing 8 with a nice solid upercut.

im actually quite jealous of these guys to be able to travel the world, visit all these countries, and train from the best coaches/teachers at the pinpoint of where the particular arts are trained. they really get to meet some of the greatest teachers and learn from them, in the entire world. that in and of itself is pretty unique.

Yung Apprentice
07-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Yeah liked this show and the human weapon. I liked human weapon a bit more, because the guys were more likable and more of a character. Doug is cool, but the other guy kinda got on my nerves. I wonder if they ever plan to do a second season for either show.