PDA

View Full Version : Anticipation Training

hskwarrior
11-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Have or do any of you currently practice anticipation training.

when i say that i mean, it's always easy to anticipate what someone is going to do.....and some one us actually want to jump right out and meet a strike, intercept it, and so forth......

I think its important because if you go looking for a strike and its not there, you're in deep trouble.

But i do teach my guys about discovering their own personal danger zone where they feel its crucial to react........

if you go looking for something, it may not be there, and you get something you didn't want in the first place......

so what about you guys?

sanjuro_ronin
11-28-2007, 01:31 PM
If it moves, kill it. :D

hskwarrior
11-28-2007, 01:35 PM
and do so mercilessly!!!!!!!

fawlung
11-29-2007, 12:17 PM
I would venture to guess that anticipation training is a part of everyone's training in some shape or form. By gaining the muscle memory of learning sets we begin the stages of anticipated movement or reactionary movement that appears as anticipated when looked at on the outside.

When we spar, or practice sensitivity training we're developing the senses to act/react quickly enough to any slight movement that our defenses/attacks get there as the opponent is performing their move. To the onlooker, this would appear as anticipated movement.

Through alot of sparring, touching hands with a large variety of people, training the moves, training the dummies, etc., etc. our moves should appear to be anticipated.

I may be wrong, but I think if we were to act without any stimulus from our opponent, then there's really nothing to anticipate and it's just an attack?

sanjuro_ronin
11-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Best defense is a good offense.

brothernumber9
11-29-2007, 12:57 PM
I think a huge part of any kind of "anticipation" training is experience. Either one's own experiences that they have made it through or witnessed, or the experience of someone else who can descriptively convey that experience to another person, in effect teaching them. I'm speaking more in regards of the onset of a situation rather than already in the midst of.

It is extremely difficult to anticipate without recognizing, when something is about to jump off.

If you've never seen somebody roll up on somebody else with their hand under their shirt, you might not know that they very likely have a weapon, or if you're at a party or a club dancing or just chilling and a few dudes take position around you while looking at you sideways, you might be oblivious that you might be about to get jumped, or if you're walking down a street and hear "hoooty hooo!" you might not know you better look about you and get outta there. Or if one or a few strangers ask if you can break a large bill so they can get on the bus, or something, you might be about to get jacked. Or a car pulls up and somebody wants to ask you for directions, but they wanna act like they can't hear you unless you get close; watch out you might just be getting jacked again. Any number of situations, that alot of people are naive into thinking are on the level.

sanjuro_ronin
11-29-2007, 12:59 PM
In classical JMA there is a whole sub-discipline devoted to "instinctive training" of which anticipation is part, the Haragei ( "belly/gut" art).

fawlung
11-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Or when you're in the prison showers and the guy next to you drops the soap...
Don't EVER fall for that one :)

secretgecko
11-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Or, if you have to go to the head and the guy in the next stall has a "wide stance" and starts to tap his foot on the floor - you might know you are about to get jacked. :eek: